Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hello everyone! *waves* I'm new here. This is my first time posting a story here on this site. I'm a little new at writing fanfictions, so some of them probably aren't very good. But at least I'm trying, right? That's all that matter…
Fruits Basket is one of my favorite manga series ever, so I thought I should try and write a story about it. Be warned though: some characters may be a little OOC... And I know, this chapter is a little slow. Should get better later on though... *is making this up as she goes*
I did not create any of the storyline or any of the characters in Fruits Basket. I only created the made up characters mentioned in this story, and the plot for this story. All the glory should go towards Natsuki Takaya
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------
It was a rainy day in Japan one night. Outside of Shigure's house, a light glowed from inside. Tohru Honda sat inside all nice and cozy next to the table. She was all alone in the house. Shigure had suggested that he go pick something up for dinner. Out the door into the rain he went, all the while dragging a reluctant Yuki and a sulking Kyo.
 
Tohru just sat there at the table, dozing off. It had been raining all day and it was starting to make her feel sleepy. She was sitting upright, dozing. Suddenly, she heard a loud knock on the front door. Tohru snapped out of her daze, sitting up straight all the way. She looked around. The knock on the door came again, this time sounding impatient. Startled, she sprang up.
 
“Shigure-san can't be home yet,” she said as she looked at the clock on the wall. The knock on the door came again, this time even louder and more impatient. Tohru walked over towards the door and opened it up.
 
Outside standing under an umbrella in the rain was a figure. And clutching at her side was an even smaller figure. The girl looked up from under her umbrella and stared at Tohru with dark eyes. She said nothing; she just stood there underneath the umbrella and stared at Tohru. Her other hand grasped the handle of the suitcase she held.
 
“Welcome!” said Tohru cheerfully. The girl didn't even move. Neither did the figure beside her. “Won't you com-“ Tohru didn't get the chance to finish asking her to come in. The girl just brushed passed her right into the house. Tohru spun around and looked at her. “U-um, would you like something to drink?” she asked. The girl just looked at her out of the corner of her eye. “Y-you must be cold from standing outside in the rain. I'll go make some hot tea for you!” said Tohru cheerfully. She quickly backed away and scampered into the kitchen. The girl just stared at her as she left the room. As soon as Tohru was out of sight, the girl sighed.
 
“Boy, she seems like a ditz or something,” said the girl flatly. She lowered her umbrella and shook it a little, not caring if she got water on the floor. Closing the umbrella, the girl shook the small figure clutched at her side away. The young boy let go of her and blinked. The girl glanced down at him, noticing him shivering slightly in his wet jacket.
 
“Take that jacket off. You're gonna get a cold,” she said bluntly as she slipped her black raincoat off her body. Dropping it to the floor, she helped the young boy out of his raincoat. They stood there in the middle of the floor for a few minutes, a puddle of water forming from their wet garments on the floor.
 
“Let's go upstairs. There's bound to be a room we can stay in,” she said as she picked up her raincoat and her suitcase and walked up the stairs. The boy also picked up his raincoat and followed her up the stairs. Walking into the first room in the hallway, the girl flicked the lights on. She was in Kyo's room. Nothing but a bed, a nearly empty bookshelf, a dresser, and a desk covered with homework papers were in the room. Obviously, the girl didn't care that someone else was staying the room before she got there, because she just walked over the bed and flopped her suitcase on it. Grabbing the raincoat from the smaller boy, she hung hers and his on the coat rack behind the door.
 
Sighing, she leaned against the doorway and crossed her arms. Sensing the younger boys eyes upon her, she looked at him through her dark eyes.
 
“What?” she said flatly.
 
“What if we're not welcomed back?” he asked, staring up at her through dark green eyes.
 
“So? We'll still stay here. Our family can't keep us away forever,” she replied.
 
“Yes, they can. The head of the house can do whatever they please. And if she sees you again, she'll get mad. And then she'll send you away again,” he said softly. The girl looked down at him. The boy stared down at the floor, hands clasped behind his back.
 
The girl stayed silent for a moment, then spoke. “Whatever happens this time, I know for a fact you and I won't be sent away again. We'll convince the head and some of the family members to let us stay. C'mon. Let's go downstairs.” She flicked the lights off and went downstairs, the younger boy following her like a puppy.
 
 
 
The girl, the boy, and Tohru sat at the table in the living room. Tohru had made a large pot of hot tea for the two strangers. The girl seemed grateful when she took the cup Tohru offered her. She didn't say anything though- just nodded and took a sip. The young boy had managed a small, “thank you” and started drinking the tea.
 
“So um, do you know the Sohmas?” asked Tohru. She was determined to have a friendly conversation. But judging by the fact that the girl hadn't even said one word to her, it was going to be hard. The girl looked at Tohru over the rim of her cup and nodded. “That's good,” said Tohru cheerfully. She smiled at the girl, who only just stared at her with a blank expression on her face. “So, um, uh, are you part of the family?” she asked.
 
“Honestly, do you ever stop talking?” asked the girl flatly. She continued to stare at Tohru through her dark eyes. The boy nudged her and said softly, “Onee-san, be nice.”
 
“Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't know I was starting to bug you! I'm really, really sorry!” cried Tohru frantically. She bowed quickly, to show that she was truly sorry. Taken back by Tohru sudden act of repentance, the girl just stared at her with wide eyes.
 
“It's okay…” she started to say.
 
“Sorry! If I'm talking to much again, please tell me!” cried Tohru.
 
“Seriously, it's okay. I don't mind. I was just saying that because you were trying so hard to have a conversation, even though I didn't say anything to you,” she said, a hint of amusement in her voice. Tohru looked up. The girl was smiling slightly at her. But something about her smile scared and confused Tohru. She knew she had seen that smile somewhere before. She knew the vague image of a person she was thinking of was scary. She knew she feared the person. But Tohru just couldn't put her finger on it. That girl… know that she noticed it, she looked awfully familiar to someone…
 
Now that the girl wasn't wearing her large raincoat and there was decent light around, Tohru could get a better look at her. The girl was pretty pale. She hard the darkest eyes Tohru had ever seen; her eyes looked cold and lifeless as they stared at Tohru. She had raven black hair that hung down to the middle of her back. The younger boy next to her, Tohru guessed he was her brother, looked somewhat similar. He too had pale skin, and lifeless eyes. Except his eyes were dark green and his hair was dark brown.
 
“What's your name?” The sudden question startled Tohru. She snapped out of her thoughts and back to reality.
 
“H-huh?” she stammered, feeling a slight blush rise to her cheeks.
 
“What's your name?” repeated the girl. Her voice still had the same flat tone to it.
 
“Oh! My name is Tohru Honda! Pleased to meet you!” Tohru said cheerfully. She smiled at the girl. “May I ask what your name is?” asked Tohru.
 
The girl cleared her throat before she spoke. “My name is Reiko. Reiko Sohma. And this,” she glanced over to the boy beside her, “is Kenji.”
 
Tohru clasped her hands together. “Uwhaaa! Please to meet you, Reiko-san! And you too, Kenji-san!” she beamed. “Is Kenji your younger brother, Reiko-san?”
 
“Well, yes and no. He's more of a half-brother,” she said flatly, glancing at Kenji who only smiled at her.
 
“Half-brother?” said Tohru, tilting her head slightly. “What does that mean?” she asked curiously.
 
“It means that I'm not completely related to her,” spoke Kenji softly. Tohru's eyes widened as she looked at him.
 
“Not completely related to her? How can that be?” asked Tohru bewildered.
 
Reiko sighed. The girl was a ditz. “Never mind. He's related to me, okay? That's all you need to know,” she said, her dark eyes staring at Tohru. Tohru nodded and busied herself with getting everyone more tea.
 
 
 
It was about 7:00 P.M. when Shigure got home. And it was still raining outside too. Shigure had managed to get away with his own umbrella, but Yuki and Kyo were forced to share one (and, of course, both hated this).
 
“I guess tonight we're all going to eat a late dinner,” he said to himself as he walked towards the front door of his house, carrying a bag full of hot take out food. He fumbled around in his pocket for his keys, making sure the food didn't spill out of the bag in the process. Finally finding his keys, Shigure opened the front door and stepped inside. The moment Yuki and Kyo got inside, they instantly tore away from each other, glaring.
 
As Shigure was taking off his shoes, he noticed something. Two extra pairs of shoes were also by the front entrance. Shigure knew for a fact that they weren't there when he left to go get the food.
 
“Ah, I guess Tohru-kun has some guests over,” he chuckled to himself. He walked over to the living room and peered in. “Tohru-kun! I'm home! And I brought dinner too!” he smiled as he held up the food. But his smile faded when he saw two figures sitting at the table with Tohru while drinking tea.
 
Reiko and Kenji looked over their shoulders when they heard the voice. Both of their eyes widened when the saw who it was. All three of them just stared at each other for a moment, a heavy silence hanging through the air.
 
Shigure was the first to react. He was about to step forward, when he quickly remembered to place the food down safely first. Then he stepped forward.
 
“Rei-kun! Kenji-kun! My, my, you two. How long has it been since I last saw you two?” said Shigure happily. He quickly walked over to the table and stood next to Reiko and Kenji. Kenji smiled up at Shigure, but Reiko just stared at him with her dark eyes.
 
“Hello, Shigure-san,” said Kenji softly. His dark green eyes sparkled. Shigure smiled at him and ruffled his hair and bit.
 
“And how `bout you, Rei-kun? Aren't you even going to say hi to me?” asked Shigure playfully. Reiko just continued to stare at him.
 
“Ah, never mind. You and Kenji were always children of very few words,” he said. Reiko nodded her head in agreement. Shigure looked over at Tohru, who looked a bit dumbfounded.
 
“Shigure-san! You know these two?” she asked quickly.
 
“Hello there, Tohru-kun. And yes, as a matter of fact, I do know these two. I've known them since they were little.” Shigure smiled at Tohru. Then he suddenly remembered something. “Oh yeah! Dinner! Sorry it's a little late. I brought home some take out food. Is that all right?” he asked.
 
“Yes it is! I'll go get everyone some plates,” chirped Tohru. She excused herself from the table and scuttled towards the kitchen. Three pairs of eyes watched her as she disappeared into the kitchen. Shigure looked down at Reiko and spoke.
 
“I'm impressed. You came back,” he said.
 
“Of course I came back. I decided it was time that I was free. They can't me and Kenji locked up forever,” said Reiko, her dark eyes turning icy.
 
“Ah, Rei-kun. You're like the canary that escaped from its cage,” said Shigure, a hint of amusement in his voice.
 
“Are you saying that I'm some sort of bird?” Reiko replied angrily.
 
“No, no, my dear. I'm saying that you're like the bird that has finally broken through the confinements of its cage, and is now flying freely.” He smirked. “But where there's a little canary flying around, there's a hungry cat who's stalking it. She'll catch you, you know. Then what will you do?”
 
Reiko stayed silent for a moment. “She'll never catch me. I won't be caught by any cat. I'll fly. I'll fly away from all the danger,” she said bluntly. Shigure couldn't help but smile at her answer. Reiko was always so sure of herself.
 
A minute later Tohru walked back into the room carrying plates. She smiled as she placed plates on the table for everyone. Shigure sat down in one of the chairs as Tohru placed a plate down.
 
“Shigure-san, where's the food at?” asked Tohru.
 
“Over there by the hallway,” replied Shigure. He pointed towards where the food was and Tohru quickly scuttled over and brought it back.
 
“Where's Kyo-kun and Yuki-kun?” she asked as she spooned food on everyone's plate.
 
“Who knows. Maybe they're both in their rooms. They both looked pretty unhappy when they had to share an umbrella with eachother.” Just as Shigure finished his sentence, Kyo walked into the room. He was rubbing his eyes, as the rain had made him very sleepy. He didn't notice Tohru or Shigure or the other two people in the room as he sat down.
 
“Hello, Kyo-kun!” said Tohru cheerfully. Kyo just grunted in response. “Would you like something to eat?” she asked. Again, Kyo just grunted his reply. Tohru cheerfully spooned food onto his plate. He looked up at her and muttered a small, “thanks”, then looked down at his plate. His brain wasn't fully focusing, so he barely noticed the food he was eating.
 
But after a few minutes of eating, Kyo's brain woke up. He looked up at Reiko and Kenji. Had they been here before? How come he didn't notice them when he sat down? His eyes widened as he continued to look at the two figures before him.
 
“Who the hell are you?” he asked. Reiko and Kenji just stared at him. So did Shigure and Tohru.
 
“Why, Kyo-kun, that's not a nice way of saying hello,” teased Shigure. “This is Reiko and Kenji Sohma.”
 
“You mean they're part of the family?!” asked a bewildered Kyo. Shigure nodded his head. Kyo just stared at Reiko and Kenji, his mouth hanging open. “Then how come I've never seen them before?” he asked.
 
“Have you ever seen everyone in the Sohma estate?” asked Shigure. Kyo shook his head. “Well, then, does it matter that you've never seen them before? C'mon, Kyo-kun, just enjoy the company of two more family members,” said Shigure smiling.
 
“You've never met them before, Kyo-kun?! But they said that they knew the Sohmas!” cried Tohru.
 
“Weren't you listening to a word that Shigure was saying?” replied an irritated Kyo. Tohru just blinked as she tried to remember their conversation from a few minutes ago.
 
Just then Yuki walked in. He noticed that there were two more people that usual sitting as the table.
 
“Um, Honda-san?” he asked. “Are you having guests over?”
 
“Ah, Yuki-kun! Welcome! Come have some dinner!” smiled Tohru. She spooned food onto a plate for Yuki. Slowly Yuki walked over to the table, his eyes on Reiko and Kenji. They didn't seem to notice him though. They were silently eating their food.
 
“Um, do I know you two?” asked Yuki. Reiko and Kenji just looked up at him and said nothing.
 
Shigure decided to break the silence. “Yuki-kun, these are your cousins, Reiko and Kenji Sohma.”
 
“Okay…” he said. Perhaps they lived in the Sohma compound? Maybe that's why he had never seen them before. He noticed that both of them were very pale. But what grabbed his attention the most was Reiko. She looked familiar. Like someone he knew from a long time ago. He didn't know why, but he had a sinking feeling that she was someone who he wasn't going to like.
 
Shaking his head, he pushed those thoughts quickly out of his head. Picking up his chopsticks, he began to eat.
 
 
 
 
It was now 10:40 P.M. Everyone was tired. Especially Kyo and Reiko. They had been fighting over rooms. Kyo was determined not to let Reiko stay in his room, even though she was a guest. And he was furious that she thought that she could just kick him out of his room and stay in it. Reiko kept insisting that he could go sleep on the floor or on the couch. But after being slapped upside the head a bit, Kyo finally complied. Grumbling, he made himself comfortable on the couch.
 
Reiko and Kenji had made themselves a makeshift futon on the floor (“We won't sleep in the bed, Kenji. Who knows what kind of germs can be in it.”) Kenji had already fallen asleep at Reiko's side. However, Reiko just stared up at the ceiling. Her thoughts where running around in her head.
 
“I won't let her send me back. Ever. Not again. I'll stand up to her this time. Gure-san was right. I am like the canary who escaped from its cage. And I won't let that ugly cat catch me. No, she won't. That ugly bitch will never catch me again.”
 
Reiko sighed as she shifted under the covers. Closing her eyes, she attempted to go to sleep.
 
 
 
The next morning the sky had cleared up. A few birds where chirping here and there, fluttering about without a care. The table had been cleared of the breakfast dishes, and now the residents of Shigure's house were relaxing. Well, not really. Shigure was in his study attempting to finish his deadline, Yuki had to go to school for a student council meeting, Kyo was trying to finish some of his homework for the summer, and Tohru was putting away all the dishes in the drainer. Reiko and Kenji sat outside on the porch, glad that the sun was finally out.
 
Swinging her bare legs over the edge of the porch, Reiko stared up at the sky. Often on calm, peaceful days, she loved to stare out at the open sky. Actually, she did this whether it was a peaceful day or not. She heard a small sigh. Turning her head slightly, she saw Kenji sitting cross-legged, his head resting on the palms of his hands.
 
“What are you sighing about?” she asked flatly.
 
“Oh, nothing. I was just thinking about the next time it's going to rain,” he replied softly.
 
“Why in the heck would you be thinking something like that?” asked Reiko, her voice still flat as water.
 
“I don't know. I guess it gives me something to do,” came the soft reply.
 
 
 
Tohru finished putting away the last of the clean dishes. “There! All done,” she smiled cheerfully as she wiped her hands. Suddenly a small knock came from the front door. “Who could that be?” she wondered out loud as she walked towards the door. At the same time Kyo was coming down from his room, stretching and complaining about those “damn teachers who give us homework over the summer.”
 
Tohru opened the door and smiled. “Uwhaa! Kagura-san! Welcome! Come on in!” cried Tohru cheerfully. The older girl smiled at her and walked in.
 
“Oh, crap,” thought Kyo as he heard Kagura's name mentioned. He quickly went upstairs and closed his door to prevent from being smothered by Kagura's “affection”.
“Kagura-san, what brings you over today?” chirped Tohru.
 
“Tohru-kun! Is it true? I heard that-“ she suddenly stopped. A gasp escaped her lips. Her eyes widened as she stared ahead through the open door of the back porch. Suddenly, she started laughing.
 
“Oh, it is true! It is! I can't believe it!” she cried happily as she ran towards the back porch. She stopped, almost falling when her socks slid against the smooth floor of the porch.
 
“Rei-chan!!!” cried Kagura happily.
 
Reiko looked up when she heard her name being called. Her eyes widened as she saw the older girl standing before her.
 
“K-k-kagura-chan?!” she said in disbelief. She just stared for a moment, then smiled.
 
“Kagura-chan!” cried Reiko as she quickly stood up. Quickly closing the few feet of space between them, Kagura launched herself at the younger girl.
 
“Rei-chan! Rei-chan! I can't believe it! It is you! You came back! You came back after all these years! Oh, how I've missed you!” cried Kagura happily, almost on the verge of tears.
 
Reiko didn't say anything. She just stood there in happy silence as she hugged Kagura. She smiled. Kagura had remembered her!
 
“Oh! Kenji-chan! You're here too!” shouted Kagura as she happily gave him a hug. Kenji smiled and hugged her back.
 
Standing back a little, she examined the two. They were both still as pale as ever, but they still looked the same. Reiko had gotten a lot taller, too. She towered over Kagura. Linking arms with her, Kagura led Reiko into the house, Kenji following them like a puppy.
 
“Kagura-san! You know them too? How wonderful!” cried Tohru happily as she clasped her hands together.
 
Kagura smiled. “Yup! Sure do! Rei-chan and I have been friends for a long time!” Reiko smiled. Not a small smile, but a truly honest, having-the-best-time-of-my-life smile. It was true. Seeing Kagura after all these years was almost the best time of her life. Almost. There was still one person she truly wanted to see…
 
Tohru shuddered when she saw Reiko smiling. Once again, she looked oddly familiar to someone she knew. Her face, her smile… they all reminded her of someone, but she still couldn't remember whom. Someone who was meant to be feared…
 
 
 
After about 10 minutes, Kyo cautiously opened the door of his room. Good, no sign of Kagura anywhere. Thinking it was safe to come out, he quickly stepped down the stairs. But he froze when he got to the bottom. For there, on the couch, was Tohru, Kenji, Reiko, and Kagura. Kagura had her arm linked around Reiko's, and when she saw him, she smiled.
 
“Kyo-kun! Hiiiiii!” she squealed. Waving for him to come over, she said, “Don't be shy, Kyo-kun! I'm sure you already know Rei-chan and Kenji-chan!”
 
Kyo just stood there dumbfounded. For once in his life, Kagura hadn't gone crazy at the sight of him. For once, he didn't get pumbled by Kagura's crazy love for him. For once she was acting, well, normal. Normal, meaning she wasn't beating him up or strangling him.
 
Kyo walked over to the couch, but didn't sit down. He stood over it, looking down at Kagura and Reiko.
 
“You know each other?” he asked.
 
“Of course we do!” smiled Kagura cheerfully.
 
“But how?” he asked. Obviously they knew each other, but when did they ever meet? Kyo had known Kagura practically his whole life, and never had he seen her hanging out with this girl.
 
“We go way back,” came Reiko's flat reply.
 
Kyo sighed. He figured that he wasn't going to get anymore out of them, so he decided to drop the subject. Flopping down on the couch next to Tohru, he watched and listened to Kagura's and Reiko's chatting.
 
 
 
It was getting late. The sun was starting to go down in Japan. Kagura and Reiko sat side by side on the back porch. They had been talking all day long. Actually, Kagura did most of the talking. Reiko just stayed silent and stared at her, while every so often putting in her own dialogue.
 
After an hour into their conversation, Kyo suddenly got up and left. He said he couldn't take all this “reunion crap” and stomped up to his room (which was temporarily Reiko's room at the time) and stayed there ever since. Shigure came out of his study a few times to check to see how things were going, say hello to Kagura, and try to get a few more words out of Reiko. Yuki came home from his student council meeting and was surprised to see a Kagura who wasn't actually smothering Kyo with her “affection”. He stayed for a few minutes and talked, but then went up to his room to finish his homework. Kenji softly excused himself from the conversation and went out for a small walk. Tohru suddenly remembered she had to make dinner and rushed off to the kitchen to prepare the evening meal. That left Kagura and Reiko alone. Seeing how it was pointless to spend all day indoors, they went outside, just in time to see the sunset.
 
“I'm really glad you came back, Rei-chan,” said Kagura happily, staring dreamily into the sun.
 
“Hn, me too,” replied Reiko. She stared off into the distance.
 
“What are you going to do if she finds out you're back?” asked Kagura. Reiko could tell there was a note of concern in her voice.
 
“I don't know. But I know she won't send me off again, because I won't let her. I'm free at last. I plan to stay that way. For good.”
 
Kagura looked over at Reiko. She still was staring off into the distance, but she had a look of determination on her face. Her dark eyes reflected the evening sun.
 
Looking towards back the sun, Kagura smiled. “So, when are you going to go see him? Hm?” she asked playfully.
 
Reiko couldn't help but smile a little. “Who knows. Maybe tomorrow.”
 
“You won't be able to get in. I could help you though,” said Kagura.
 
Reiko shook her head. “No thanks, Kagura-chan. I don't want you to get into trouble if I get caught. I'll just sneak in. Yeah, I will. I won't get caught.”
 
Kagura smiled. Reiko always was so sure of herself. “Alrighty, guess that means I'll see you tomorrow, right?”
 
Reiko nodded her head in agreement. She looked up towards the sky. It was painted with beautiful colors of red, orange, pink, purple, and blue. Reiko wished she could just fly right up to the sky and bathe in the marvelous colors.
 
“Tomorrow, I will see him again. No amount of threats could keep me away from him. No cage can keep me contained, either. I will see him. I remember him so well. But…will he even remember me?” thought Reiko. The last thought saddened her a bit. She quickly cleared that thought from her head though. All she wanted to do right now was stare at the sunset with one of her best friends.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------
Damn. About half way through the fic, all the writing suddenly became italics. I'm not sure how or why it did this either. And I don't know how to fix it either >_< Oh well…
 
Anyway… I can't believe it! Has someone actually read all this?! I'm impressed. I didn't think anyone would want to read all the way through this fic. Yeah, I know. This chapter is a little slow. I'm hoping that it'll get better though... *crosses fingers* If you would be so kind, could you please leave a small review? Thank you!