Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Found Letter ❯ Found Letter ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
Found Letter

My love,

I watch our daughter every day. She's growing to be like you; so kind and sweet. Her face is so innocent and trusting. Just like yours always was. Her teacher wrote to let me know about some situations that the other students seem to be putting her through. Funny. But she doesn't complain. I've even asked her if school was ok. And she only says that she likes the other students and adores her teacher. I'm glad. But I'm a little worried too.

And I don't have you here to talk to about this.

There's a part of me that wants to go to talk to the students' parents... But, if there was one thing that you taught me, it was patience.

When I met you I was wild, I almost thought I scared you away! But, you came again to see me..and again after that. I had no clue why you wanted to be around me. I was tough. Maybe you kind of liked that, huh?

You were always so kind. I felt so unworthy to be with you. But when I was with you, I felt like I belonged there. Inside your heart. Your world. With you. I had never felt like I belonged anywhere before. Not even in my gang. They were just a substitute for feelings that I had never had.


I can't help but smile as I'm writing this. I remember the soft caresses, and the tender kisses. Being in your arms. All of these things! The warmth of your smile, or your heart, your eyes. I miss them so much! Your voice, your laugh. The way that your eyes crinkled when you laughed, the curve of your lips when you smiled. Even if you were frowning, your lips were always so soft. I miss your love. I miss having you here with me. Now. Raising our daughter together.

But now, I have to be mother AND father. And it's not fair. Because I can't be. I SHOULDN'T be. She should have BOTH parents. I know that you would be here if you could. You didn't ask for the pain that you suffered before you couldn't hold on anymore. I'm glad that you are in peace now. But I still feel cheated.

We were supposed to have years together. We were supposed to have forever. Watching our daughter grow up...graduate. Being alone in the house when she left for university. ALL of these things. Holding your hand in old age. Having your warmth laying beside me at night. Waking up to your dreadful morning breath. I was supposed to have you. For even a little while longer. I wouldn't have minded if it was only a little while longer.

I wish I could see you again. Meeting you, loving you, marrying you, having your child - all of these things have been the happiest moments in my life.

If it wasn't for our daughter, I would have joined you. But, I can't leave this world, knowing that there is something that proves that we loved each other, if only for a little while.

I have to get going. I can't see the words anymore. Tears will do that, huh? I just wanted to let you know:

I don't want anyone besides you. I will wait for you. Forever, if I have to...

Love,
Me
------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Fresh tears mingled with the old stains on the paper. Tooru covered her mouth with one hand, as she stared blindly at her mother's lilted handwriting.

After a moment, she refolded the aged paper and slipped it into the envelope. She tucked the envelope into the waist of her apron.

Silently, she walked into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

A/N: Takaya-sensei created FB...not me. I don't own anything. please don't sue.