Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ From Heaven to Hell ❯ Challenging Fear ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hey! I've managed to receive 3 reviews from 3 different people so thank you all so much!
Now for chapter 8, this may or not be the final chapter but I'll see what happens.
 
Chapter 8 Challenging Fear
 
Flashback…….

“NO!” Rin and Yuki said at the same time.
 
“Forgive me.” At that moment Momiji came out of nowhere with a gun and without hesitation, but with his hands shaking madly, the pistol fired a shot directly towards Hana. The noise of the gunshot shattered the hearts of many as the glass that contained the rat poison fell onto the floor and broke into pieces.
 
***************************************************************** *************
 
“Hana?” Uo ran into the room with a frozen expression. Then she saw her body, she had heard the sound of a gunshot many miles away but who would've thought that it hit Hana. Tohru spat out the mixture of rat poison and wine in disbelief.

Suddenly the windows made a cracking sound as they ended up on the floor in tiny glass fragments. Rin and Yuki covered Tohru so that she wouldn't get scratched.
 
“No, Hana…” Tohru murmured as she pulled free from Yuki and Rin and ran to Hana's body.
 
Momiji was finding something to lean on in order to realise what he had just done, with tears flooding his eyes, he found no strength to pull on his normal cheesy smile no longer.

”Hana, me and Uo are here, come on Hana, talk to us, tell us that you're okay.” Tohru shook Hana's shoulder as Uo cupped Hana's face her hands noticing blood dripping down from her mouth. The bullet had apparently shot Hana around her heart.
 
“Damn it Hana, stop fooling around…you can't die, you just can't, you're our best friend, you know that, Hana!” Uo shouted. Apart from her and Tohru, everyone else in the room was silent and feeling a strong feeling of sadness and guilt in their hearts.
 
Hana's eyes were still open as she looked at Tohru and Uo, she gave them a weak smile, then slowly closed her eyes. Tohru felt her heartbeat, there was nothing, no, it wasn't true, Hana wasn't dead, she was just playing tricks on her, tricks that were so real, it was unbearable.
 
“It's no use, she's gone Tohru. I think you need to accept that.” Uo's eyes became red and puffy as she spoke words she thought she'd never say.
 
“Why? Why'd it have to be her, why couldn't it have been me, Hana doesn't deserve all of this, she never did anything wrong, she's never been a bad person, why is it such a coincidence, on a holiday, when we're meant to be happy and free of stress, we lose our best friend, why did that spirit have to ruin everything.” Tohru cried.
 
“What in the world is going on here?” Kyo's orange coloured hair appeared in the room with a confused Haru.
 
“Stupid cat, it doesn't take a genius to look down.” Yuki commented harshly as Kyo and Haru saw Tohru and Uo cradling a dead Hana in their arms and crying softly.
 
“Is she…” Haru started to say as Rin nodded solemnly with her own tears running down her cheeks.
 
“Hana…speak to us, tell us something, tell us anything.” Uo pleaded to Hana's dead body.
 
“How did this happen?” Kyo asked.
 
Nobody answered his question as nobody wanted to recall the moment. Just 5 minutes ago Hana was threatening everyone as Akito once more took over her body leaving Hana lost inside a locked area, unable to control her actions. Tohru nearly died, Momiji couldn't let that happen, he just had to shoot her.
 
“Kyo…I killed….I shot Hana…” Momiji confessed blinking back hard tears.
 
“What the hell? Oh no, you didn't just say that, you damn rabbit, how could you do such a thing?” Kyo said angry towards Momiji.
 
“No Kyo….you don't understand…without Momiji, Tohru could've died.” Shigure spoke up.
 
“What? Tohru, are you okay?” Kyo turned all his attention on his beloved Tohru.
 
“I guess you don't realise that she's fine, it's Hana who's dead.” Haru said bluntly.
 
“Huh? Now she's dead?”
 
“Stupid cat, where have you been for the last two minutes?” Yuki forced an angry glare at Kyo who quickly shut his mouth thinking that silence was the best thing to do in a situation like this.
 
“Come on, Uo, Tohru I think we better get out of here before they find out that Momiji had just killed someone.” Ayame said.
 
“Ayame's right, we have to get her out of here.” Shigure agreed.
 
“How are we suppose to cover the evidence?” Rin asked.
 
“Just say that it was an accident, Hana nearly killed Tohru and….and..” Shigure paused.
 
“And what? Tell them that Momiji killed her? You know they'll put him in jail, or at least do something horrible to him.” Rin interrupted.
 
“I don't know what else to do.” Shigure sighed.
 
“We have to protect Momiji, he did it in order to save Tohru, it was self defence wasn't it? So I don't think Momiji should be charged for that, and if he hadn't shot her then who knew what could've happened.” Yuki explained.
 
“I guess you do have a point.” Ayame answered.
 
“HEY, what's going on here?” All of them jumped as a policeman came in with a few holiday guests behind him.
 
***************************************************************** ***************
 
After they had been taken into the room where the police had asked each and every one of them questions about Hana's mysterious death, they had come across to learn that Momiji had killed Hana but not on purpose but to save Tohru.
 
“So Momiji, what'd they say to you?” Tohru asked, she was still overwhelmed about her friend's death but she had calmed down a little.
 
“Well…they said that they'll probably take me to court, papa will find me a lawyer and hopefully we'll get this sorted out when we go back.”
 
“Oh, do you still get to go to Miami because we're arriving very soon.” Uo took out her bubblegum and started chewing it to calm her nerves.
 
“I don't know where else I can go.”
 
“Well that's great, just something you need to know Momiji, whatever happens when we go back to Japan, we're all here for you, remember that.” Tohru gave him a smile that cheered him up a little.
 
“Thanks Tohru, but I also need you to know that I'm very sorry that I killed Hana, I know how important to you she was but I think I overreacted.” Momiji clenched his fists.
 
“But it's not your fault, you wanted to save me and I know Hana was possessed so it wasn't her fault either.”
 
“So it's that damn freakin spirit's fault eh?” Uo gave a look of annoyance.
 
“Actually..”
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Miami.” The captain's voice sent many smiles on many faces as most people had all rushed to leave the ship and to catch a glimpse of the beautiful sunshine and Miami.
 
Infact Tohru and the others hadn't even noticed that the ship had stopped until the captain announced the message onto the speakers.
 
***************************************************************** ****
 
Tohru and Uo lay on the fold out chairs and sipped their cold fruit drinks and ate their ice-cream dessert as they watched the other's having fun. It was only 2pm in Miami where the streets were busy, full of people at the beach and at the shopping centres. The temperature was a comfortable hot 28 degrees Celsius and the water reflected the suns light making the sea look like textured blue crystal that was moving. Of course they weren't staying here in Miami for too long so they had to make the most out of their holiday even though they had experienced a great loss on the way.
 
Haru and Rin had gone scuba diving together to watch the deep part of the sea where the fish would swim, they caught a boat to the deep area and slipped on their gear and swam under the water watching all the colourful coral and scenery around them. Shigure and Ayame were calling Hatori and Kureno on their cell-phones while building a mabudachi trio sand castle.
 
“Oh Hari, you should have come, Miami is gorgeous, you won't believe how many girl's I've seen that look like an American version of Kana!” Shigure explained after telling him about Hana's death, Akito's spirit and before Hatori could hang up on them.
 
“Kureno, it's beautiful out here, you know I think the bond between me and Yuki has grown since we came on this vacation, believe it or not, he hasn't said more than three hateful words to me, this is a great achievement, I feel so special, how are things over there?” Ayame remembered not to focus everything on himself.
 
And Yuki was trying the wind-surfing with the instructor, it had been Tohru who convinced him to have a go as normally Yuki would've been the one to stay behind and do quiet things like reading or planning for something. It was just amazing to see how so many people were having so much fun.
 
“Don't you think Hana would've loved to see the beach here, the beautiful golden soft sand and the sparkling sea?” Tohru could just imagine her friend next to her seeing what she was seeing.
 
“Yea, I even think that if she's here, she would give a try on the jet-ski, you never know, Hana was always there to try something new, apart from clothing colours of course.” Uo joked at the same time as having a soft tear behind her sunhat.
 
“I can't believe she left us so soon, there's still a lot more to see.” Uo added.
 
“Yea, same with my mom, but I guess they're having a great time up there, watching over us and enjoying life.” Tohru looked at the sky; she could even swear seeing Hana's face, or her mother's outline in the blue background.
 
“KYO, come down here and swim, don't be a scaredy cat!” Momiji teased, emphasizing the word cat.
 
“I am not scared of the water; I just don't like it you damn rabbit!” Kyo yelled.
 
“You sure seem scared, come on give it a try.”
 
“FINE, if it means shutting you up then I'll swim for two minutes!” Kyo replied irritated afraid that Momiji's loud voice would send the crowd laughing since he absolutely hated/despised being embarrassed.
 
“YAY, Kyo's gonna swim. Look everybody!” Momiji laughed.
 
“Shut up.” Kyo gritted his teeth and he splashed water on Momiji.
 
“Uo, even though Hana's gone, I'm sure we can carry on living happily because I think Hana would want us to if she was here.” Tohru laughed at Momiji pulling Kyo into the water.
 
“I agree, just as long as we never forget her.”
 
“Trust me Uo, we won't.” Tohru said confidently.
 
“Come on, lets go join Momiji over there, I wanna go drown Orange-top!” Uo exclaimed as Tohru ran to catch up with her.
 
Although in our lives we have hard times and huge amounts of sadness, it makes you stronger and prepared for the next time something bad could happen. If we can learn to let go of the miserable past, live the present and hope for the future then maybe…maybe our lives will seek an emerging light of happiness.
 
***************************************************************** ************************************
 
A/N: I can't think of anything else to write, so yea. I guess you could say that that's the end of From Heaven to Hell and don't quote me on writing a sequel for this one since it's already a sequel to Midnight Phantom. But I really hope you enjoyed reading this story cos I put quite a lot of effort into writing it. Even though it's not perfect, haha. So what do you think of my ending, did ya like it?? If you have read all of From heaven to hell then you might've noticed that the ending is linked from the beginning of the story (the end of the prologue). All comments are very welcome. Bye for now and thanks for reading.