Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Halloween Masquerade ❯ Chapter 5

[ A - All Readers ]

The song faded as she let go of his shoulders her gaze looking away before she felt her hand being tugged back the prince leaning in kissing her softly. Just as the song faded, Kyou walked back into the gym with two drinks in his hand, having not seen any of the cake that she wanted. Just as he spotted her, he saw Yuki's eyes close when their lips met, Kyou's hair instantly standing on end. She broke away from the kiss blushing a dark red her fake whiskers down. Her eyes soon searched finding what she had feared. "... Kyou."
 
Kyou's gloved hands shook slightly, the way the fluffed paws seemed to cave in somewhat making an obvious sign that he was squeezing on the glasses in his hands. If he'd not been wearing the padded paw-like gloves, the shear force of his squeeze would surely have caused the glasses to explode in his hands and spill the drinks contained within all over the floor by now. After Yuki let go of her hand she quickly ran over to Kyou placing her hands on his softly wanting him to calm down. "... Kyou... Please don't ruin the outfit I worked so hard to make for you..." Kyou's eyes glared right past her, as if she weren't even there, locked on the one that'd caused his anger to boil in his veins.
 
She looked to him sadly leaning up she kissed his cheek softly. "... I'm sorry."
 
Kyou's eyes narrowed a bit more, his voice coming out low, soft, and brimming with hate, "Why don't you go find your own date... damn rat..." His hands quaked still within the gloves, having not yet relinquished his grip on the drinks held within.
 
Tohru's head tilted to the side. "... Date? When did this become a date Kyou?" She looked at him blushing lightly now. The rat just glaring at the cat now.
 
"Take these Tohru..." he mumbled as he placed the drinks in her hands before taking a couple of steps to move around her and towards the object of his rage.
 
She moved quickly stepping in front of him. "... Please Kyou don't do this if you get in trouble you might get suspended and Akito might take you away from me..."
 
"He needs to learn some respect for other people's dates..." he growled as he placed a hand on her shoulder as if to step around her again.
 
"... Kyou this was never a date..." She spoke sadly.
 
Kyou froze in his tracks, his arms dropping to his sides, "Then... why did you want me to do everything with you..? The library... the store, the ice cream... Why was it so important to you that I was with you..? I thought..." He closed his mouth, keeping the rest of his words to himself.
 
She lowered her head. "... I didn't think you wanted to go out on a date... I just asked those things to see if you would come with me..." She dropped the drinks on the floor walking close to him resting her head on his shoulder so he wouldn't transform. "... I was scared of hurting you... To make you suffer..."
 
His head dropped slightly when he felt her head on the back of his shoulder. "I understand, I just thought that... it was all kinda like a date, leading up to the dance... The only reason I even came to this thing was because of you..."
 
She blushed a little more. "... Kyou if you want this can be a date... I wouldn't mind." She spoke softly.
 
Kyou's head lifted and glanced over at Yuki with a slight look of someone that felt victorious, his hand reaching back to take her's and pull her around in front of him, "Dance with me again..?" She looked to him blushing madly now as she nodded.
 
His hand that was holding her hand stayed that way, extending outward from his side to hold her arm up some, his other hand coming to rest on her hip. She looked up to him a little startled not use this side of Kyou. Yuki walked away now heading over toward the other student council members.
 
Slowly he began to dance with her, his lips turning up into a small smile, "It doesn't have to be a date... but you are my date to the dance at least..."
 
"... I want this to be a date Kyou..." She spoke softly looking up to him smiling kindly.
 
"Really..." he inquired softly as he looked down at her still, "you aren't just saying that because I thought it was... right? I don't want you to feel obligated..."
 
She held up her hands now blushing lightly. "All these cuts are for you because I wanted to make you the perfect outfit, because you said you'd go with me..."
 
He glanced at her hands and brushed his cheek against one of them, like a pet cat would nuzzle into an affectionate petting. "You worked really hard on this..." She blushed lightly as she nodding lightly running her fingers threw his bright orange hair. His other hand slowly lowering placed itself lightly on her hip so that both rested there now. She moved her hands down to his shoulder wrapping around him slowly before she leaned up kissing his cheek softly. A soft warmth creped over his cheek at the feel of her kiss pressed to it, his eyes closing just a bit as he danced with her still.
 
She stayed close as close as she could to him her eyes never leaving his crimson orbs. His eyes were locked on her own as well as they danced slowly, the song winding down slowly, but still they danced, even as the music ended, as if they didn't notice it. Her head lowered slowly. "... I love you..." Kyou's eyes blinked a couple of times, the warmth that'd been on his cheek before only spreading more at the sound of her speaking such words. He was left speechless, the dance coming to a stop slowly from the surprise he felt.
 
She looked up to him sadly not hearing him say anything now. "... I'm sorry..."
 
His eyes locked on her's once more, and her saying she was sorry made him snap out of the surprised, confused look, and he finally replied. His reply was however, not with words, but instead his head tilting down to silence her apology with his lips pressing to her own. Her eyes lowered halfway feeling his lips her arms going around his neck a little more her whiskers rubbing against his cheeks.
 
He felt the embrace of her arms and began to panic slightly, causing the kiss to break. "Careful... we don't want to get your memory erased..."
 
She unwrapped her arms now nodding. "... I didn't mean to... I just got caught up in the moment..."
 
Nodding softly, he smiled as he felt himself being able to relax once more, "It'd be a shame to let this moment be all for nothing..."
 
"... But at least you would keep it with you." She leaned up kissing his cheek.
 
"I would... but it would be a painful memory if I could no share it with you..."
 
She looked down nodding. "... Do you want to go home now Kyou?"
 
"Let's go... get those drinks, together this time." He smiled glancing at the broken glasses and the liquid spilled on the floor.
 
"... I rather go home and have hot coco on the roof Kyou." She smiled looking up to him again.
 
"Alright, if that's what you really want..." he said softly as he once more reached for her hand, this time taking off the paw-glove so that he could actually feel her hand in his own.
 
She smiled taking off her glove as well taking his hand. "Thank you for coming to the dance with me."
 
"I wanted to come with you..." he said softly as he smiled down at her once more, starting to walk towards the exit of the gym, several other of their classmates doing the same as the dance began to wind down to an end, the night growing late.
 
"You'll always protect me won't you Kyou?" She looked to him curiously smiling still.
 
"Of course I will Tohru..." he said softly as they walked out the doors and into the cool night air, a soft chill blowing over them. She moved closer to him careful that he wouldn't change.
 
A soft chuckle escaped him as he glanced down at her, feeling her get closer, "Don't worry... I'm sure that whoever was trying to scare you earlier is done with their fun and has gone home by now."
 
She looked down now her hand tightening. "... I forgot about that..."
 
"Oh... I thought that was why you had moved closer..." he chuckled softly and held her hand, walking with her towards the direction of their home.
 
"I just wanted to be close to you Kyou." She leaned up kissing his cheek.
 
He nodded softly and smiled as he held her hand tightly and moved closer to her. She stayed close to him now as they reached the forest. He smiled at this, enjoying the closeness of her. She tripped forward as she hit the pathway landing on her stomach. His hand still in her's caused him to be tugged down as well, landing beside her. She rolled over on her side sitting up blinking a bit, as she looked around.
 
"You ok," he asked as he glanced up at her, rolling onto his side as well. She nodded then tilted her head to the side as she looked to the tunnel across the walkway.
 
Kyou's eyes slowly glanced towards her's, then turned to glance at the tunnel she was looking down. "What is it? Nothing special about that tunnel... it's always been there..."
 
"I never saw it before though." She grumbled a little rubbing her arm.
 
"It's just an old drainage gate... since this area is kind of low between the hills and would fill up with water if the rain were to come too fast... The gate is usually closed on it, must being doing maintenance on it or something."
 
She nodded slowly as she stood up brushing her costume off. "... Then how come you didn't lead me away from it?"
 
"Lead you away from it..?"
 
"If you knew it was there why didn't you take me a different way?" She tilted her head to the side.
 
"We always walk this way when we're going home from school... what's the difference between now and then?" He glanced at her confused, not seeing the big deal about it.
 
She looked down shaking her head. "... Never mind."
 
"What's wrong," he asked softly still while slowly standing up.
 
"Nothing I want to go take a look of it real fast so I know not to miss it again if I'm walking alone."
 
"Alright..." he said softly as he slowly took her hand and started to lead her towards it, not really understanding what it was that she was so worried about.
 
She reached the small tunnel now looking down at it curiously. "Do you think their fixing it Kyou?"
 
"Probably... I doubt they are tonight... they probably just forgot to lock the gate..."
 
She nodded lightly. "But wouldn't they have left their tools or something?"
 
"Nah... They would be too afraid they'd get stolen if they left their tools behind. Like I said, probably just forgot to lock the gate." She nodded lightly as she leaned down looking down at the drain.
 
His head slowly tilted as she looked into the tunnel, which he noted in his mind was large enough for them to walk right into if she wanted to get a closer look. She stood after a few moments turning her back to the drain holding out her hand to him. "I'm ready to go home now Kyou." Kyou blinked softly and took her hand, slowly turning to walk with her, though confused by why she was so comfortable now, after Just taking a quick glance at the tunnel. She took a few steps before turning her head back noticing something had moved.
 
Stopping with her, he glanced back with her, "What is it? You see or hear something?"
 
"... I thought I saw something move." She let go of his hand walking back over.
 
Slowly he turned with her and began to approach the open drain once more, his eyes peering into it. "I don't see anything; maybe it's just your imagination playing tricks on you since its Halloween after all."
 
"Maybe, but I could have sworn I saw something Kyou." She spoke softly.
 
"I don't see anything... but if you want, we can go look... I'll walk in with you and show you there's nothing in there..." Smiling, he gave her hand a light tug and ducked slightly as he walked into the large concrete pipe.
 
She followed behind him moving as close as she could. "... Are you sure about this?"
 
"There's nothing in here, I'm sure of it, I just want to show you so that you don't ge-" before he could finish his sentence a loud "rawr" rang out through the tunnel, causing Kyou's head to jerk in the direction of the sound, seeing a strange figure with arms over head, ears, a tail, and what looked to be large claws.
 
"It's Jason!" She screamed as she grabbed hold of Kyou her arms wrapping around him in fear.
 
Kyou's eyes went wide as her scream echoed through the concrete shaft, a poof of smoke surrounding them and bellowing out of the entrance as Kyou turned into the small orange cat from her embrace. Suddenly, from the entrance came a flash of light, followed by the sounds of two familiar voices laughing.
 
She sat on her knees clutching the small orange cat in her arms shaking. When she heard the laughter, she looked up trying to see who it was.
 
Kyou's hair stood on end as he was clung to by the girl, a hiss sounding out from him when he recognized the form that stood at the opening of the tunnel. "You damn dog! I'll kill you!"
 
She looked up seeing the smaller boy beside him letting go of Kyou as she stood up. "Momiji I'm going to tickle you so hard I'm going to make you cry!"
 
Kyou quickly darted towards Shigure, eyes narrowed as he heard Tohru and Momiji laughing behind him, his claws extending as he made a flying leap at the dog. "Shi-gu-re!"
========================================================
The End