Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Please Remember Me ❯ You're Still Here ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

You're Still Here

Disclaimer: In no way do I own Fruits Basket. The song You're Still Here can be found on Faith Hill's Cry CD.

"Yuki-kun? Are you awake yet? Yuki-kun? Good follow me now." Tohru reached her hand towards me. "Come on, Yuki-kun." Her smile was as bright at ever.

"Tohru-chan! Wait for me!" I called to her, but she just kept getting farther away from me. "Tohru-chan! Stop!" I reached my hand in hopes of grabbing hers but she just disappeared completely.

"TOHRU-CHAN!!!!" I cried, sitting up right. It was the same dream I've been having for 6 months, ever since she died. I glanced around to see where I was. I had fallen asleep at my secret base. I didn't know what time it was but it was still dark out. I saw the strawberries I had planted just for her. They were long since ready to be picked. I didn't want to touch them, after all I planted them just for her.

After Tohru died, nothing seemed the same anymore. Shigure-san quit writing his romance novels for a while. Then one day, he locked himself in his study for about 2 months. Come to find out, he had put together a book in memory of Tohru. He didn't actually write the book. He just gathered together all of the poems that Tohru had written and then wrote the forward (or whatever its called).

When the book was published, nearly all of the zodiac got a copy…even me, though I still haven't read it yet. I will eventually. Kyo even got a copy too.

Speaking of the neko, I think he's given up on trying to beat me…well for now that is. He rarely comes down from the roof and when he does, he doesn't talk to anyone.

Kagura and Momiji cried for about two weeks straight. Hatsuharu stayed black for about a month or so. As for Hatori and Akito, they didn't seem phased by her death, but Momiji said he swore that he saw Hatori cry a little over her. My brother made the dress Tohru was buried in.

As for me, I hid the letter she wrote just before she died. I can't really remember if Shigure-san or Kyo-kun's read it or not. The house has gotten pretty quite now. I haven't read the letter yet. I can't bring myself to.

Like I said earlier, it's been six moths since she died, and yet it seems like it happened last night. She died just as I entered her room.

I remember waking up to get a drink of water. I heard her crying as I passed her room so I went in to check on her…

I shook my head to clear it. For awhile after she died, I blamed the baka neko, mostly because he always yelled at her. Sometimes he yelled at her so much that she would start to cry.

I should have done more to cheer her up. I honestly didn't know what to do.

Hanajima-san and Uotani-san started ignoring Tohru for some reason just two weeks before she died. When we called and told them, they cried. I was shocked to see them at Tohru's funeral.

I leaned back on my elbows and gazed at the starry sky. `There are so many stars out tonight. Just like there were when she died.' I thought to myself.

"Tohru-chan? Are you watching me? Did you know that I loved you so much? I miss you. I'm sorry I couldn't do more to make you happy. I'm sorry I let you down. I guess I didn't think you'd do something like this. You were almost always smiling. Tohru-chan, I miss you so much."

"You know, I don't think you let her down, Yuki-kun." Said a voice behind me. I glanced behind me and saw a tired looking Shigure. "I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I went to check on you and saw that you weren't in your room so I went looking for you."

"Sorry if you worried about my, Shigure-san." I apologized. He just waved it off with his hand.

"I'm just glad you're okay. Anyways, like I said I don't think you let her down. You just didn't know. No one saw it coming. I've often wondered if, had we known what she was going to do, would she still be alive now?" he said, taking a few steps closer to me. "But I do know one thing though, she loved you so much, Yuki-kun."

"How do you know?" I asked.

He looked at me then nodded. "You haven't read her letter have you?"

I shook my head. "Not yet."

"I'd suggest you do so, and soon." He said just before he turned to walk back to the house.

"Shigure-san!" I called after him. He stopped and turned back towards me. "Thanks for everything, cousin."

"Don't worry about it, Yuki-kun. I'll see you in the morning." He said then continued to the house.

After a moment, I headed to my room. I opened the bottom drawer in my desk and pulled out the letter Tohru had written. I'd hidden it on the very bottom of the drawer. I unfolded it and read it for the first time.

~~Dear Shigure, Kyo and Yuki

I first want to thank you all for everything. You took me in

when I had no place to go. You treated me like family. You

entrusted me with your secret back when I was still a stranger to you.

I can't thank you enough. I've grown to love you all.

Shigure, thanks for letting me stay and treating me like family. It was more

than I could ever ask for. I can't really thank you enough.

Kyo, I'm sorry I made you yell at me all the time. I know I can be

clumsy a lot. I never meant to make you mad at me. I know you would tell me

that its not my fault, but maybe if I weren't so clumsy and naïve…

Yuki, you were more than my friend. I love you. I don't think this is some

school-girl crush, either. I really truly love you. I don't want you to think

that this is your fault because it isn't. You were the world to me. Even when things

weren't going my way, you would at least point out options. I've wondered

sometimes if you loved me.

Anyways, I'm sorry for what I'm about to do. I'll be with my mom again. Thank you

all for all that you've done for me.

I love you all,

Honda Tohru~~

I reread the letter a couple of times. Each time it felt as though I could hear her say those words to me.

I folded the letter and placed back in its hiding spot. I walked to the window and gazed at the stars. "I did love you, Tohru-chan and I still do. You'll always be in my heart, forever, Tohru-chan. I'm sorry I never told you that I love you. I always told myself, next time I can get alone with her, I'll tell her. But, every time I got the chance I screwed it up somehow. I really wish you were here so I could tell you face to face."

The End

Thanks for reading this fic, I hope you will take the time to tell me what you think about it. By the way, the title of Please Remember Me is the title of a Tim McGraw song.