Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Please Remember Me ❯ My Tourniquet ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Please Remember Me Chapter 4

My Turniquet

A/N: This is from Ayame's POV. My Turniquet is from Evanescence CD Fallen

Chapter 4

I walked up the stairs to Yuki's bedroom. I wasn't sure if he'd want or need to talk to anyone, and I'm sure I was the last person he wanted to talk to...well, maybe aside from Kyo.

"Yuki?" I called as I tapped on his door. I slid the door open when he didn't respond. I saw my brother sitting on the edge of his bed, gazing into his lap. His face was soaked with tears.

"Yuki? Are you ok?" I asked as I sat down next to him. "Yuki??"

He looked at me with more tears going down his face. "Nii-san??" He made it sound like it was a miracle that I was there with him.

I reached over and wiped his tears away. "Are you okay, little brother?" I pulled him to me.

"Nii-san?" I could tell he was trying to stop crying. "Why didn't she tell us about what happened? I thought that she loved me." Just then the dam broke and he cried like he did on the day she died.

I pulled my little brother closer to me. "She did love you, Yuki. And it's because she loved you that she didn't tell you. Like Kyo said, she didn't want anyone to worry. If you ask me, I'm not surprised. It seems like something she would do. Tohru was...I mean, is the kind of girl who'd put other people before herself." I looked down at my little brother then continued. "I said 'is' because she'll always be in our hearts and in our minds. I know that may sound corny, little brother."

I felt Yuki shake his head. "Its not that corny, Nii-san. I've been saying that to a lot of Sohmas, particuraly Momiji and Kisa. It just feels weird to hear someone say it to me." His voice sounded weak and strained. Instinctivly, I held him closer. I felt his hand clench at my shirt as he continued to cry.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~FLASHBACK~*~*~*~10 Years Ago*~*~

"Ayame? Nii-san? Stay with me!" Yuki pulled on my shirt. "I don't want to be alone."

"Let go of me." I snapped as I brushed his hand off my shirt. "I'm not staying here. I've got plans with Shigure and Hatori. Besides you're not going to be alone. Oka-san's here."

The nezumi looked frightened. "Onegai. I don't want to be left alone with her. She-"

"That's enough, Nezumi-chan." I said as I walked out of the door, closing it behind me.

Later that day, I was having lunch with Hatori and Shigure, but for some reason I couldn't keep my mind off of my brother.

"Aya?" Shigure called to me. "You're daydreaming again. Maybe its about the girl Mariko, you know the one who sits beside you in history class."

"Nani?" I said shaking my head. "Iie, what were saying, Gure-kun? I was thinking about my little brother."

"Did you play another joke on him?" Hatori asked.

"Iie." I said sitting forward in my seat. "I ignored him. He was trying to tell me something today, before I left and I ignored him. What kind of brother am I?"

"If you're just going to beat yourself up about it later, than don't do it." Shigure pointed out.

"Its not that easy." I replied. "I tell myself not to do it any more, but every time I try not do, I end up doing it."

"What happened today?" Hatori asked.

"He didn't want me to leave. For some reason, Akito scared him. When I told him he'd be fine with Oka-san, he nearly started to cry."

"Aya, Yuki's only 7 years old." Shigure pointed out. "He's been through quite a bit just this month. I mean with those kids finding out and then having their memories erased."

I nodded and leaned back a bit. "You're right, Gure-kun." I quickly glanced at my watch. "Hey are we still going to see that movie?"

Shigure and Hatori both nodded.

"Well, then if we don't leave now, we'll be late." I said, reverting back to my cheerful self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~PRESENT*~*~*~*~*~

"Yuki? I'm sorry I haven't been there for you when you needed me, especially when Akito scared you. I'm sorry. I didn't realize how bad off things were. Can you forgive me?" I said. He didn't answer. "Yuki?" I shook him a little. He still remained quiet. I carefully shifted him so that I could see his face. The rat had fallen asleep. I would have laughed at that, but I felt that I might wake my little brother up. I laid him down on his bed and pushed a lock of hair off of his face.

"Gomenasai, my little brother. I've always dreamed that your life will get better, that you'd graduate from high school, go to college and get married to the one you love, and move as far away from Akito as you possibly could. For once in your life, you'd be happy, not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. Now I realize that today marks the one year anniversary of the death of the one you wanyed to marry, the one who truly made you happy on the inside." I reached down and put my hand on his hand. "Gomenasai, little brother, for not being there for you when you needed me. I don't know how I can even call myself your 'nii-san'. I did nothing worthy of that title." I started to leave when I felt my hand being pulled. I looked at it and saw my brother's hand closed tight around my hand. I sat on the edge of his bed and watched him as he slept.

"Aya?" I heard Shigure's voice behind me after a moment. "Is everything okay?"

I nodded. "Hai, Shigure-san. I think everything's going to be okay."

"I heard everything you said." Shigure said, putting his hand on my shoulder.

I nodded again. "How's Kyo?"

"Like Yuki, he cried himself to sleep. Kagura's with him now."

"What about Kisa?"

"She's with Hiro."

Nii-san= big brother

Oka-san= Mother

Onegai= please

Nezumi-chan= little rat