Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Push and Pull ❯ Shattered Feelings ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
PUSH AND PULL
A Fruits Basket Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


AUTHOR'S NOTE:
My first Gureru. Also my first Akiru. Confused? You should be, but all shall be explained. This idea was derived from a drabble I wrote and a challenge from Koishii to write something I normally wouldn't write. So here it is. ^^ This part told from Tohru's POV. Standard Disclaimer follows the story.


Part One - Shattered Feelings




I should've known something was wrong when he asked me to sit down.

It was nearly four o'clock. I had just begun preparations for dinner. We were going to have roasted pork. I splurged at the grocery store with some of my earnings. It takes an hour to prepare and the oil in the frying pan was just about ready.

"Tohru-kun, do you have a minute? I'd like to talk to you in the dining room."

I asked if it could wait, but he was adamant. I don't think I've seen him so serious before. Curious, I turned off the stove, washed my hands. Wiping off the counter, I sat aside the cutlet of pork then joined him in the dining room.

The table felt very empty with only two of us there. Especially these last few weeks. Yuki had just finished his winter break and had left for his fifth semester at Tokyo University. Kyo was also on his own. He'd moved in with Kazuma-sensei and was preparing to take over the dojo from his former teacher.

I'm very proud of them both.

"Tohru-kun?"

I blinked, startled out of my thoughts. "H-hai, Shigure-san?"

He smiled at me. It was sad, I think. He took a deep breath then said, "Tohru-kun, I think it's time you ventured out on your own."

BLINK. BLINK.

"You'll be 21 in a few weeks. You've finished culinary school, and you have a great new job. I'm very proud of you, Tohru-kun."

BLINK. BLINK.

"But I think it's time you started experiencing life...instead of sitting around here taking care of an old man like me. You need to get out in the world, experience what life has to offer. There's so much out there to do, and see...."

BLINK. BLINK.

"Have I...done something...have I forgotten...have I upset you...Shigure-san?" I didn't need to give my response any thought. It was automatic. I was too overwhelmed by his words to really think at all.

"Iie, Tohru-kun! Not at all. Of course not!" He was quick to reassure me. He seemed hurt by my response, and I suddenly felt guilty for asking. Still, what else was I supposed to say? "I'm not angry, or upset. I just...." He paused, as if unsure what to say next. "I just think you've been missing out by staying here. I think you should go out into the world and experience...life."

Tears started to fill my eyes. I wasn't sure why. He'd said he wasn't angry. I hadn't done anything to upset him. So then why did I want to cry?

"Tohru-kun?" His voice was full of concern, his face serious.

"I will...consider your words, Shigure-san," I replied. My eyes were averted to the tabletop. I didn't want him to see my tears. I wouldn't allow them to fall. "But now...I must prepare dinner, before it spoils."

"Tohru-kun?"

I stood from the table and offered him the best smile I could manage. I bowed slightly before turning to leave. "Dinner should be ready in an hour. I'll call you when it's done."

I don't know if he gave any sort of reaction. I had already turned and walked to the kitchen. I paused for only a moment in the doorway before walking to the counter to finish my dinner preparations.

I should've known something was wrong...but I could think of no logical explanation. He had reassured me. He wasn't angry.

Then...why would he suggest such a thing?

Perhaps he was being too kind to tell me I was a nuisance. Shigure-san has always been kind to me. He gave me a place to stay when I had nowhere else to go. He gave me a job so I wouldn't feel guilty about staying there. He's been both a parent and a friend. Taken care of school matters in my grandfather's place. And he defended me in front of Akito. I could not ask for anything more from him.

Maybe he's right. Perhaps I have been sheltered. But I've experienced so much living with the Sohma family. I am happy. I'm content. I don't mind doing chores or taking care of "an old man like him". This is where I WANT to be.

Why doesn't Shigure-san want me here anymore?

Is he still trying to protect me?

Or is he trying to get rid of me?

Why? WHY?!

Doesn't he care?

Doesn't he love me?!

"OUCH!"

I stare at my finger as it bleeds. The knife must've caught the edge of my finger as I sliced through the last of the roast pork. Must wash out the cut, before it becomes infected. But I can't move. I can only stare at the cut. Watch the blood as it trickles slowly onto my skin then falls onto the freshly cut meat.

Darn it! Now dinner will be ruined!

But I still can't move.

"Tohru-kun? I heard a yelp," says Shigure from the kitchen doorway. "Are you all right? ARA! You're bleeding!"

"It's just...a small cut," I manage to say. I can't say anything else. Not even when he rushes to my side, taking my hand in his to inspect the injury.

"You should clean and bandage this right away," he insists, ushering me off to the bathroom.

"But dinner--?!"

"Looks like the pork is ruined. I'll call for some take out," he says, smiling. "You need to take care of that right away."

With one final push I find myself walking to the stairs and upward towards the bathroom. Now I really feel guilty. I've ruined dinner. I really am a nuisance.

Once the door is shut, I step over to the sink and turn on the water. As the cold water runs over the deep cut in my finger, tears start to roll down my eyes. And they won't stop. Dear kami, they won't stop.

My heart...it's shattering.

Shigure-san...I...I love you.

Maybe...it's best that I do leave.



~TO BE CONTINUED~


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). They own furuba. THEM! Not me! *sigh* All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^