Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Rift of White Roses ❯ That Room ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sasame: Didn't Kasumi say that Asato had never heard of the family curse?

Iris: Yup, and he doesn't.

Sasame: Huh?

*~*~*~*

Later that night, after dinner had been served and the plates washed, Tohru laid down for bed. She found, however, that something was plaguing her mind. She sat up and thought to herself. If Asato had never met his father before, how did he know that he was the snake? Down the stairs, Shigure was working away in his room. Whether or not it was for his manuscript that was due the next morning was his own little secret. Tohru slowly stepped out of her room, hoping to not disturb Yuki or Kyo, and went down to Shigure's room.

"Shigure-san?" She whispered, peeking into his room.

"Huh? Tohru-kun? What are you doing up so late? You have school and work tomorrow."

"I know, but I was wondering how Asato knew that Ayame was his father. Does he know about the curse?"

"No, he doesn't, but his mother has sent him plushes of the 12 zodiac animals... plus the cat. On each she included a notecard telling about the animal and who in our family was most like it. I would suppose that Hatori lets Asato just think his mother is being weird with fairytales and such. Personally, I think it's pointless. Akito is hellbent on keeping Asato there for more than a good portion of his life. Asato will probably never get the chance to see the outside world. It's a shame."

"How terrible!" Tohru cried, "Why would Akito keep him in there?"

"Rift...." Shigure yawned and gestured to the door, "Now shouldn't you be resting up?"

"Uh... but-"

"Uh-uh. No buts." Shigure stood and gently nudged Tohru backed to the hall, "I won't have you failing classes on my behalf. Good night."

Though Tohru could not quite tell, Shigure was a bit tense about telling her anything about Akito's plans. She sighed, defeated, and went back to bed.

*~*~*~*

The following morning at school, Yuki confronted Tohru. For a moment, it seemed she had forgotten about the room, but it snapped back.

"Oh... that room?" Tohru said nervously. She knew that only she, Hatori, Akito, and Shigure knew about Asato, "Yes, what about it?"

"Why were you there?" He was very concerned.

"I had gotten lost, Yuki. Why?"

"You didn't go in it... did you?"

"Of course not! That would be very rude to go into a room with knowing whose room-"

"Honda-san."

"Oh, Yuki-kun. I'm sorry, did I do something wrong? Rude? Unneccesary!?"

"That room... used to be mine." Yuki said, below his breath so others couldn't hear, "The room that Akito used to beat me in when I was little."

Tohru covered her mouth and almost cried. The room Yuki's nephew, Asato, was locked in was the same room that Yuki was beaten?! She was trembling visably, so much so, that Uo and Hanajima had to hold her up before she fell over. Yuki, feeling as if he had hurt her, went back to his seat. Tohru sat down and covered the rest of her face.

"Hey..." Kyo had taken notice, "What did that stupid rat say to you?"

Tohru wiped her tears away and shook her head. "Nothing." She lied, "Nothing."

*~*~*~*

"Yuki's room?" Hatsuharu looked over at Tohru with a less than interested expression, "It's an infamous room, if any. Many a generation of cursed Sohma have gone through that room."

"Ja ja!" Momiji said, jumping on Haru's back, "Ha'ri says that Akito and Sohma leaders before him would always detain cursed Sohmas in there."

"Mh-hm. For any number of reasons. If memory serves, Yuki was in there because he was sick." Then the ox went silent, in deep thought before speaking again, "Why do you ask?"

"Well, uhm."

"You didn't go in it, did you, Tohru?" Momiji asked, "It's a strictly off-limit room unless your Akito or Ha'ri."

"Oh no! I've never even seen it!" Stress was evident on the school girl's face. She took a quick bow and farewell. Momiji and Haru watched in concern as the bumbling girl stumbled her way to work. The ox slowly turned and walked back to the main house, the little german bunny hanging cutely off his back. Momiji sang the whole way home.

*~*Fin*~*

Iris: There was gonna be more, but I wanted to update, so I chopped it off.

The rest of this chapter: AGH!!! AGHHHHH!!!!! *bleeding* AGHGGGH!HH!H!!!

Siri: Oh, shove it.