Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Tohru's Curse ❯ Tohru's illness ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter One
 
The sun shone brightly through the curtains of her window just after dawn. Tohru opened her eyes and swung her legs over the edge of her bed. A wave of dizziness washed over her. Rather than wait for it to pass she tried to stand up. As soon as her feet touched the floor her knees buckled. It was as if heavy weights pulled her down. Breathing became very difficult. Get to the door, she thought over and over, crawling across the room, but each inch she gained took so much of her strength. By the time she had reached the door and had it open, her body gave out.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Kyo woke to the incessant ring of his alarm clock. “Alright already,” he muttered switching it off, wondering why he even set the damn thing in the first place. Who would want to wake up to annoying cheerful beeping? When he got out of bed to search for his clothes a cold chill crept up his neck. What the hell?
 
As he dressed he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, “It's nothing, just an open window or something,” Except, he had the same feeling the day they told him his mother was dead. Tohru! In his hurry to get to her, he tripped. That's when he saw her hand lying limply out her door. Fear gripped him. “Tohru?” He bent to feel for a pulse. It wasn't as strong as he would have liked, but at least it was there.
 
She stirred a little under his hand. “K­-Kyo-kun?”
 
He sighed with relief. “Remember what I said that last time you were sick?” he said tightly. He picked her up, careful to be gentle. “You work yourself to the bone, you worry yourself sick, you don't eat enough…it's a wonder you haven't died yet.”
He set her in bed and tucked the covers around her. “What'll we do if something ever happens to you?” He hadn't meant to say that. A light flush appeared on his cheeks.
 
She smiled, “I'm not dying, Kyo-kun. I'm just having a slow start. Give me a few minutes and I'll make breakfast,”
 
That did it. “No! You are sick, Tohru! That means no school, work, or chores for you at all! You're going to stay in that bed and rest until you're better!”
 
“Why are you yelling so early?” Yuki asked from behind. “Surely even a stupid cat knows enough not to make noise when everyone is asleep.”
 
“Shut-up, you damn rat!” Kyo snapped, “Tohru is sick and she thinks she can save the world when she can't even stand up!”
 
She sighed as Yuki came to her side, looking concerned. “I've worried you now. I'm always worrying both of you. Why can't I just­ —“
 
 
“It's alright, Honda-san. Yes, we do worry about you, but only because we care for you so much,” he gave in to the urge to stroke her cheek. She was too tired to be embarrassed. “Don't worry about us, we'll manage,”
 
“Yeah, it's not like we're going to starve. Doesn't take a genius to make toast or scramble eggs,” Kyo kneeled in front of her so their eyes met,” someone's gotta take care of you.”
 
Tohru felt tears sting her eyes. I don't deserve them. “You are both so good to me,” she whispered, “I really should tell you…” They waited for her to finish but she had already fallen asleep.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
“Eh? What's this?” Shigure rubbed his eyes,” Kyo, what are you doing?”
 
“What does it look like?” he said sharply, “She's sick and you and rat boy would probably burn the house down.” He scraped the last of the eggs onto a plate and set it next to the toast on the table.
 
“Kyo?” Yuki popped his head through the doorway “Do you think I should call Uotani-san and Hana-Jima-san? Or would we rather face them at school?”
 
Kyo pictured how her friends would react if he told them that Tohru was sick and grimaced. “Call them. There's no way in hell, I'm going to tell wave girl that we let her best friend get sick,” Yuki nodded. It really wasn't a pleasant thought.
 
Shigure stared at him as Yuki went back to the phone.
 
“What?!” Kyo demanded,”What are you staring at?!”
 
Shigure smiled, “It's good to know that you two can set aside your differences to care for the one you love.”
 
“Don't get used to it,” he grumbled,” I'll hate that rat until I'm dead and buried.”
He picked up the food tray and headed up the stairs.
 
Will you? Or will that be yet another thing she changes, Shigure wondered.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
“Tohru?” he tapped on the door before letting himself in. “I've brought you some breakfast. Do you feel like eating?” He hated seeing her looking so…lost. Even more, he hated not being able to do anything.
 
She was already sitting up, but looking very pale. “It's terrible, Kyo-kun,” she said weakly, “It's like my whole body is being slowly drained,” The fact that she didn't even attempt to put on a brave face, showed just how bad it was.
 
“Here,” he picked up the spoon and brought the soup to her lips. Slowly, she sipped it up. “This is just a cold. Normal. You'll be okay after a few days' rest.” He wasn't sure if he was trying to reassure her or himself. He was scared as hell. Not her. Please not her. I can't lose her, too.
 
As if reading his thoughts she caught his hand in hers. “Don't. Don't you dare blame yourself for this,” He raised his eyes to hers. Even now she understood. Even now she didn't blame him. “This isn't your fault. I'm sick because of…something else.”
 
He wished he could believe her. But he was the cat. A cursed monster who brought nothing but misfortune to all those around him. A monster that had no right to love. And even that, he couldn't control. He loved her. Even though he'd never say the words she'll get hurt anyway. As he was pulling his hand away her grip tightened.
 
“Kyo-kun, I'm glad you're here,” he blinked at her. “Thank you, for taking such good care of me. It means so much that we can just be together. I hope you believe that.” He didn't know what to say to that. He set the bowl on her bedside table and got up to leave.
 
“Tohru,” she turned her head toward him. “When you're with me, I think maybe I'm not so cursed after all.” She smiled.
 
Her smile faded when he shut the door behind him. What am I going to do? I need to tell them, but how can I without worrying them or becoming a burden? Even now I can feel the spirits inside me fighting. Why me? Why can't I be strong enough to deal with this? Tohru closed her eyes against the weightiness of her problems. She didn't open them again for three days.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Yuki came home from school with the familiar heaviness in his chest. He had come to recognize it as despair, something he hadn't felt in a long time. Since she had come to live with them he felt that he had become strong enough to rise above it, but he wasn't strong enough to protect her from the Sohma Curse.
 
He went up to her room and set the bouquet of flowers with the dozens of others. “Any change?” he asked.
 
“No, still the same,” Kyo replied.
 
Normally Kyo would have said something to express his hatred for Yuki and Yuki would have fully expressed his disgust for Kyo but…They both looked at the seemingly lifeless Tohru. Their concern for her was stronger than their hatred of each other. The silent truce between them would stand until she was up and about again.
 
“Has Hatori found anything new?” Kyo rested his forehead on his arms.
 
“He's still looking,” Yuki stared blankly out the window. “Has everyone been by?”
 
“Yeah. Most likely the whole damn family will be over for dinner.” Kyo thought about cooking. It would almost be a challenge to see if he could make enough food in time. Looks like take-out again. “You know, it's almost like she's one of us. Everyone cares about her enough.”
 
“Except Akito. He's made it clear how he feels about Honda-san,”
 
Kyo sighed. “So in the end—“
 
“It's still our fault,” Yuki finished.
 
“Kyo—” Shigure stopped and shook his head. “It's so strange seeing you two get along. Kazuma-san is downstairs. He says he needs to talk to you,” Without another word Kyo got up and followed him.
 
Yuki looked down at Tohru. Her face was so pale and her skin was cold as ice. Yet she was still almost too beautiful to bear.
 
Maybe it would be better if Hatori suppressed her memories. That would be the most ideal way to protect her, save her pain.
 
“If my memories are erased please, will you still be my friend?” She had asked once.
Yuki clenched his fists. It was a mistake letting himself get so attached. Just thinking about the possibility of his life without her in it brought on a staggering pain to his chest. “Honda-san, what do I do?” he knelt in front of her and took her hand. “Do I tell you what I've been so desperately trying to hide or do I let you go and live a normal life?” He kissed her knuckles and sighed, “I wish you'd wake. We need you. Please come back to us soon.”
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
“That girl just keeps getting more and more amazing,” Kazuma mused as the house began to fill with Sohmas. “I don't imagine Akito would be at all pleased by this,”
 
Kyo shrugged. “Shishou, what did you want to talk to me about?”
 
Kazuma took a moment to find the right words. He looked at the young man who had come to mean everything to him. His troublesome son. “Kyo, if your father were willing to work things out, someday would you give him a chance?”
 
Kyo thought about it before shaking his head, “No. I can't. He means nothing to me now. To tell you the truth, I've always wished you were my real father, Shishou.” He lowered his eyes, his stomach tightening into knots. He was about to be given a great shock or a great disappointment. Was Shishou leaving again? Was he being taken out of the dojo? Did Akito—
 
Shishou smiled warmly, touched. He clasped his shoulders. “I talked with him today.” Kyo braced himself. “He has agreed to let me adopt you,” Shishou watched Kyo's face for reaction. He looked stunned and…torn.
 
“Shishou…I…I need some time to think about this,” He looked up to Tohru's window, “I'm not saying that I don't want to, it's just—“ Shishou nodded, understanding. “We can talk about it later. I hope you know though, it's your decision and I won't love you any less for it. Now, I think I'll go check in on Tohru-kun.”
 
Kyo stayed outside for another moment. More than anything he wanted a family. Now he was being given a chance at one. Did he dare risk their lives for a reason as selfish as his happiness?
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
As her body lay nearly lifeless on the bed, Tohru found herself in a barren wasteland. The sky was dark with gloom, shadows shifted about her and a distinct air of hopelessness wafted around. Was she dead?
 
A tap on the shoulder had her turning. She came face to face with…herself. But for the black garb it wore and almost colorless darkened eyes, she could have been looking into a mirror.
 
Tohru Honda, by law of the sprit world I must destroy you to possess your body,” the most expressionless voice disturbed Tohru.
 
“Um…a-and then what?”
It stared down at her. “I doubt you'll last long enough to find out.” It snapped her wrist together and straightened her arms, pushing them forward. An invisible wave came crashing into Tohru, sending her flying.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
On the bed Tohru jerked, Hatori pulled back in surprise. “Honda-chan?” The young girl still lay motionless.
 
“Is she okay, Hari?” Momiji asked, anxiously. “Will Tohru open her eyes soon?”
 
Hatori wanted to comfort him. He looked at the others and wanted to erase the looks of sadness and grief. All he could give them was the truth. “Physically, there's nothing wrong with her. Whatever is ailing her is coming from her spirit.”
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Tohru stared in shock. She slowly got to her feet. That hurt. It was like being severely beating with one hit.
 
Hmm, I am impressed. You were able to rise. Your will is stronger than I thought. That will only make this all the more painful for those you leave behind.” It came running at Tohru, hands moving back and forth, clawing the air. If the first wave was painful each little one she sent at her was twice as horrible. Tohru cried out in pain. She lay on the ground, trembling and weak. I should just give up. She is much stronger than I am and I'm sure she could handle my life better. Flashes of the Sohmas ran through her mind. The first time she saw Kyo smile, the first time she made Yuki laugh and so many precious others. She couldn't bear giving them up, not without a fight.
 
It loomed over her like a hawk with its prey in sight. “Goodbye, Tohru Honda,” it said, clicking her wrist together intending to finish the job. A bright light shone around Tohru. The wave bounced off the light as simply as a pebble bouncing off a brick wall.
 
On wobbly knees Tohru stood up. “I'm sorry. I can't let you win.”
 
Those waves should have killed you,” she tried another set. “I don't understand. What is happening?” she sank to her knees in despair. “I have failed, and now many souls will continue to suffer for it.”
 
“Who will suffer?” Tohru asked. “What would you have done had you possessed my body?”
 
I am a guardian,” it said bleakly. “I'm to protect the ones in your life that need me the most. Beyond that I do not know. We all forget what we once knew each time we are reborn. But what does that matter to you? You have won the right to free yourself and banish a spirit.” The guardian went on down on one knee and lowered its head.
 
“What do you mean? Banish you how? I don't understand.”
 
It looked up at her through miserable eyes. “One being cannot house two spirits. One of us must go. I have lost and therefore I must be punished. I cannot fight a purely good soul.”
Tohru smiled gently and took her hands. “Let's compromise.”
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Kyo walked into Tohru's very crowded room. Practically all the Juunishi were there taking vigil. Hiro, Kisa and Momiji sat at the foot of the bed. Haru and Yuki leaned against the wall behind them. Ayame, Shigure and Shishou talked quietly in front of her closet. While Hatori sat in a chair at her bedside. All they could do was wait. It was almost funny. Three years ago, the only time they'd come together like this was on New Years. A whole family of almost complete strangers. Then, this girl falls into their lives, changing everything. It was beginning to look more and more like fate. She had come to mean so much to all of them, that not even the fear of God would keep them away at a time like this.
 
Suddenly Tohru began to glow. Her body gave off a white light that shone just as brightly as the moon outside. As worried as they were, and as frightening as the sight was, it gave them a sense of comfort. She would be all right. They could feel it.
 
Tohru's eyes fluttered opened. “Mmm…”
 
Hatori leaned over to her “You're awake, Honda-chan.”
 
She bolted up in alarm. “Eh?!” She blinked when Kisa and Momiji launched themselves at her, both sobbing. “Kisa-kun? Momiji-kun? What's wrong?” As they continued to cry into her blouse she looked at the others. “You're all here. Why? What's going on?” She was confused by the looks of relief and worry on their faces. “How long was I out?”
 
“Three days.” Hatori said, grimly.
 
“Three days?” she repeated. Understanding set into here eyes as she tried to sooth the crying children in her arms. “Oh, come now. I'm all right. Please, don't cry anymore. I would never leave you that way.” She rocked them until they quieted. “I must have worried you. I'm so sorry.” She looked up when no one said anything. “What is it? What's wrong?” Their gaze dropped to Momiji, who still had his arms around Tohru.
 
“Uh…um…would someone please explain this to me?”
 
Momiji let go for a moment, looked down at his fully clothed human form and with a laugh of delight hugged Tohru.
 
“One more mystery of the Sohma curse,” Haru muttered.
 
Tohru caught a glimpse at the clock and her eyes widened. “Oh, it's so late. I have to make dinner for everyone,” She made to get up, but Hatori placed a hand on her shoulder.
 
“You don't expect us to just let you go back to work, do you?”
 
“B-but—“
 
“Don't even think about it, Tohru.” Kyo told her.
 
Tohru sighed. “So much for my dream of being steady and dependable.”
That raised a chuckle around the room.
 
“Hey, you were glowing earlier,” Hiro commented, “what was that about?”
 
“Eh? Glowing? Hiro-chan, what do you mean?”
 
“It was a very bright light.” Haru said. “It was strangely comforting.”
 
“Hmm…I wonder if…”Hatori began, but thought better of it. It's not possible. “No, never mind. I'm sure it was a trick of the light or something. Honda-chan, are you hungry?”
 
As if on cue her stomach grumbled. “Yes, have you all eaten yet?”
 
Yuki looked out the window. “The delivery boy is downstairs. Why don't we eat up here?”
 
“Excellent idea, little brother, but first I really must give Tohru a hug to fully express my relief that she is all right,” Ayame ran toward her, arms outstretched.
Kyo and Yuki punched him, albeit littler harder than usual.
Tohru looked around the room. They had all come to mean so much to her already, she didn't think it was possible to love them any more. But they took the time off their own lives to watch over her, to worry over her and to take care of her. They really were such kind, wonderful people. She felt tears well up in her eyes and quickly blinked them away. She couldn't tell them. Not yet. They'll only worry even more. When the time was right she would tell them her secret, until then it would be best if she didn't say anything.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Tohru snuck downstairs when everyone was asleep. After sleeping for three days, she had all this stored energy. Maybe, they had left something to be cleaned. She looked over the state of the kitchen. They obviously tried to keep everything tidy, but there was still a mountain of dishes by the sink. She smiled, pleased to have a job to do. She rolled up her sleeves and got to work. She noticed that they were almost out of dishwashing soap, and made a mental note to buy some. As she was drying the last plate, she felt a shift in the wind.
 
“Hello, Isuzu-san” she said.
 
Rin had just walked in, and looked up in surprise. Tohru smiled at her.
 
“You don't look sick,” she said with her usual scowl.
 
“I'm feeling much better now. What about you? I didn't know they let you out of the hospital.”
 
“They didn't.” There was no way she was going to admit that she was worried.
 
“Ah, well, since you're here, would you like something to eat? I think I still have some left-over jelly.” She made to go check, but Rin grabbed her wrist.
 
“I heard that you were unconscious for three days, and now here you are, up and about like nothing was ever wrong. With the way they were hovering the last time I was here, I can't believe those three actually let you. What the hell is the matter with you?”
 
Tohru saw the concern Rin was stubbornly trying to hide. “Yes, I suppose I was asleep for three days. If Kyo-kun and the others knew I was down here, they'd make me go upstairs and probably spend another three days in bed. I didn't want to worry them any more. But, Isuzu-san,” She put a hand on top of hers. “I know exactly what's happening to me, so please believe that is has nothing at all to do with any of you.”
 
“Fine, it's not our fault,” if nothing else Rin counted on Tohru to tell her the truth, no matter what it was. She snatched her hand away. “So, what is happening to you?”
 
“I wonder, would you believe me?” she studied the older girl's face, “Do you trust me enough to believe me?”
Please,” she scoffed, “You couldn't lie if your life depended on it,”
 
“Thank you,”
 
“It wasn't a compliment!” she snapped, impatiently.
 
Tohru was silent for a moment, before saying, “Alright, Rin. What would you say if I told you I was cursed?”
 
(-)(-)(-)