Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Tohru's Curse ❯ She Leaves ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Four
 
 
“Hello, Honda-san. I'm glad you arrived safely.” Akito said, softly.
 
“Are you well, Akito-san?” The genuine concern in her voice annoyed Akito, but she knew better than to let it show.
 
“I don't think that's any of your business, Honda-san. That isn't the reason you are here.” Akito crossed the room to where Tohru knelt. Such an ugly girl, she thought in disdain. She smiled and stroked Tohru's hair. “Have I been kind to you, Honda-san? Letting you live among the juunishi? Are you happy?”
 
“Yes, Akito-san. You have been very generous.”
 
“I'm glad you think so. Tell me, is it true? Are you really looking for a way to break the curse? Why would you do something like that? As I've told you before, our way of life is different from yours. We share a bond of blood. To anyone who tries to destroy something so sacred deserves to be punished, don't you agree?”
 
“I am no longer looking for a way to break the curse, Akito-san.”
 
Akito laughed, “I'm glad. It would have been a futile endeavor.” She pulled the ribbons from her hair and ran her fingers through its length, keeping her actions gentle. “How long do you plan on burdening us, Honda-san? Your presence is very troublesome.”
 
“Until my presence is no longer necessary.”
 
Akito's hand stilled. “What a cryptic answer. Kindly, tell me what you mean.”
 
“From the moment I began living there, it felt…right. As if I belonged. They have given me so much. Now, I have the chance to repay them. When I graduate Akito-san, I will definitely be moving out of Shigure-san's house.”
 
That should have been enough to satisfy her, but…there was just something about this girl.
 
“I feel you are mistaken about something, Honda-san. We do not need you. Not in the least. You are an outsider and you can never belong.” She tilted Tohru's head up and was enraged to see the small smile in her eyes. “Insolent girl!” She slapped her with a force that threw her backwards. “You little bitch. You have gotten conceited. Did you forget that I have the power to have your memories erased? To have memories of you suppressed? “
 
“You can have every memory I have ever had taken away and that wouldn't change anything.” She replied.
 
“What a terribly rude girl. You really are a monster aren't you? I'd be justified in eliminating you,” Akito walked to the window. “Taking away your memories would solve everyone's problems. Having you in their lives will only hurt them. Especially Yuki and Kyo.” She turned and smiled suddenly. “Tell me, have you chosen yet?”
 
“Chosen?”
 
“Oh, you haven't notice have you? Dear girl, Yuki and Kyo are both quiet fond of you. Dare I say they are in love with you?” Akito could see that she had struck a nerve. “What will you do, Honda-san? Either way someone gets hurt. If you chose Kyo, Yuki would be devastated. If you chose Yuki, it would destroy Kyo. I would not consent to any sort of tie between either of you. You should know, Honda-san. No good comes from falling in love with a juunishi. Poor Kana lost her mind. Kyo's mother paid with her life. Momiji's mother was the only smart one. She voluntarily gave up her son, before he destroyed her. Every time, they begin to love someone more than their god, damnation befalls them. That is why they will love me and only me.”
 
“Is that what you want, Akito-san? That they be forced to love you?” Tohru could not think of anything more heartbreaking. “Is that enough for you?”
 
Akito heard the pity in her voice. “Do you want to save me too, Honda-san?” She snickered.
 
“Love is a gift, Akito-san. How can you be content with less?” The moment she saw tears, Akito snapped. She gripped Tohru by the throat and slammed her up against the wall.
 
“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! You think you understand so much! Tell me then! If their love for me is so lacking, what's to be done about it?” She threw her to the ground. “They live for me. They should be honored. But no! And you…who are you to them? You are just this strange girl…this stray whom they have attached themselves to! You should not be a threat. You should have run from them long ago, but you stayed. Accepting what would disgust or frighten others, and they love you for it. If I ordered one of them to kill you, they would hide you. They would go against me—“ She was cut off when Haru burst through the doors.
 
“That's enough, Akito-san.” He said, violently fighting to restrain his black side. “It's time for Tohru-nee to go home.”
 
Akito slid on a mask of indifference. “Thank you for coming, Honda-san. Escort her outside, Haru-kun.” She turned to the window.
 
“It's never too late, Akito-san,” Tohru said. She bowed, and followed Haru out.
 
When they had cleared the main gates, Haru asked, “Are you alright, Tohru-nee?”
 
Tohru tried to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes.
 
“Listen, I don't want you to worry over anything Akito-san said. Our problems have—”
 
“Nothing to do with me? That's not going to work anymore, Haru-kun.” She stiffened suddenly, and cocked her head. After a moment she relaxed.
 
“Tohru-nee?” He said, questioningly.
 
“Is it true?” she said, more to herself. She drew her brows together. “Haru-kun, Akito-san said that Yuki-kun and Kyo-kun…but it-it couldn't be. Could it? They've only ever treated me like…” She shook her head at herself. “I'm being silly. I'm sorry, Haru-kun. It's your birthday!” She began speaking cheerfully, as if nothing was ever wrong. Haru wouldn't have known what to say anyway.
 
Yuki and Kyo sat on the steps of the house waiting for them. They stood up when they saw Tohru.
 
She could see that they had worried. “Tohru…are you okay?” Kyo asked.
 
“Honda-san, did he…” Yuki trailed off when he saw the bruises on her neck.
 
“He hit me, screamed at me and made me cry,” she smiled, softly, “but I'm still here.”
 
Whole and completely unshakable, they thought with pride as she went inside.
 
“You staying for dinner, Haru?”
 
Haru shook his head. “There's somewhere I have to be.”
 
“She might not want to see you,” Yuki warned
 
“I know. I just need to see her. Maybe watch her sleep for awhile.” He added in an afterthought. “Tell Tohru-nee, “Thank you” for my gift. It was very kind of her.”
He was walking away before they could ask what he meant.
 
(-) (-) (-)
 
“What is it, Tohru?” Kyo demanded, finally. She'd been too quiet and had avoided eye contact all through dinner.
 
“Akito-san did upset you. What did he say, Honda-san?”
 
“N-nothing. I'm fine. Really.” Her voice lacked conviction.
 
“You're a bad liar, Tohru.” Kyo told her.
 
She smiled a little at that. “Yes, I know.” She turned to look at them. They stood in the kitchen, the moonlight shining through the window. Whether or not what Akito said was true, she still loved them and nothing would change that. “I know it bothers you when I don't speak my mind, but I…I just can't talk about it now.”
 
Yuki hated that Akito had gotten to her, but didn't push. “Honda-san,” He crossed his arms. “Just so you know. We aren't going anywhere.”
 
“Yeah, that's what families do. You're pretty much stuck with us. Someone's got to watch out for you.” Kyo said.
 
It was their way of telling her that, if nothing else, she had them. Suddenly, she no longer felt so lost. She gave them a genuine smile with that eyes spoke of more gratitude than she could ever express. She crossed the room, stood on her toes and gave them both a kiss on the cheek, murmuring. “Thank you.” Yuki smiled. Kyo flushed.
 
(-) (-) (-)
 
Late that night, Tohru quietly slipped out of the house and got into the car waiting for her. As the car drove away, she looked back at the house that had been her home and thought of people that had been her family. Please forgive me. This is for the best.
 
(-)(-)(-)(-)
 
Shigure looked around. If he didn't know better he would have though it was New Years. All the Juunishi were in his living room, even Kureno. He hadn't called anyone, but it was as if they had already known she was gone.
 
“Alright, everyone, settle down. Shigure, put in the video tape.” Hatori said.
 
Shigure cradled the video in his hands and sighed dramatically. “After three years of her love and affection, our little flower leaves in the dead of night, leaving only this little black box.” He made to kiss it when Yuki snatched it from him.
 
“You really are an idiot,” Yuki told him, and popped it into the player.
 
The first thing they saw was Tohru's bedroom wall. “Oh, I hope I'm doing this right,” she said anxiously, before slipping into view. “Hello, everyone,” she smiled her warm affectionate smile. “By now, you would have already noticed my absence and gathered to Shigure-san's house. And Kyo-kun and Yuki-kun have probably been all over town looking for me. I'm so very sorry for worrying you and for not saying good-bye properly. I owe you all an explanation,”
 
“Damn straight,” Kyo muttered, the others understood his sentiment.
 
“For many months now I'm sure you must have sensed that I've hiding something. I hope you aren't too angry with me. It seemed vital that I not say anything. Our story begins many years ago, before the first age of the Zodiac.” She picked up a book and read directly from it. “A young traveler was passing through a village, when he noticed a child crying at the steps of her home. When he asked what was wrong she told him her mother was dying and they had no money to send for a doctor. The man had learned some healing on his travels, so he mixed some herbs and saved the woman, then he taught her to sew and to hunt so she her and daughter could either sell cloth or hunt for what they needed. Well, word of his kindness spread throughout the village and soon everyone was coming to him for help. He never asked for anything in return, he always helped because of the simple joy it brought him. God was so impressed with his humble benevolence that he granted him the gift of immortality, so he could forever take care of the villagers. And he did. He was called the Guardian of the Zodiac for the twelve families of the village. For many years he tended to them until he met the demise of every man.” She smiled sadly. “He fell in love. So deeply in love that he forgot his duty to his people. God was very angry. He cursed the man for his selfishness. He lost the woman he loved and his immortality. It said that when the man died his spirit roamed the world trying to right his wrongs.” She closed the book and set it down on her desk. “There is a part of the story that few know about. According to legend, the spirit of the Guardian of the Zodiac roams freely. He does not. He must look for free and pure souls to possess and each time that that person dies, he is reborn. The last to house him was my great-grandmother.” She lowered her head as tears began to fall. “Now, he lives in me.” She swiped at her eyes and put on a smile. “This is why you can hug me without transforming. This means that I am destined to break the curse. I have gone to my great-grandmother's estate to take care of my inheritance and look for answers. I will be back in time to graduate. I am sorry I could not tell you all this in person and that I did not have the courage to say good-bye.” Then she gave them a real smile. “I will miss you all very much. Please take care and try not to worry about me.” She blew a kiss at the camera and walked out of view. Seconds later the camera went off.
 
No one said a word throughout the video and they remained silent as they went their separate ways. As different as they all were, they all thought the same thing. If she truly is coming back, then why do I feel this sense of loss? As if she took away every last vestige of her presence.
 
That feeling of bereavement wasn't something Tohru had intended. She didn't realize how much a part of their lives she was and she didn't know of the pain she was causing them with her absence. She thought only that distance was vital. A few months should do it.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Yuki tossed and turned in bed as dreams of his past tormented him. He was six years old again. He lay in corner of his black, soundless room, curled up in a tight ball. Tears soaked his face as the echoes of Akito's last visit rang in his head.
He went very still at the sound of footsteps approaching his door. Hoping they would just pass, he curled himself in tighter. His heart sank as the door handle turned. “No more,” he murmured. “Please, no more. I'll be good. I promise.”
 
A gentle voice answered him. “Yuki-kun.” He looked up. It was a lady. An angel? A brown-eyed angel?
 
“I've come to bring you home, Yuki-kun.”
 
He knew this lady. It was— “H-Honda-san?” She bent to pick him up. She held him close as she walked out of the room.
 
“We must hurry or Akito will catch us.” He said burrowing into the crook of her neck.
 
“He will not stop us, Yuki-kun. Not if you don't let him.”
 
“Me?”
 
“Yes.” She walked down the hall and descended the steps. “You have always been strong enough to leave this place.”
 
“But…Akito will punish me. I am to always be by his side. He might hurt you, Honda-san. He says things…cold, dark things… he will not let me—”
 
As if sensing his panic building, she rubbed his back comfortingly. “Shh…it's alright. Everything will be okay. You don't have to be afraid of him anymore.” He believed her.
 
They cleared the main gates. It was dark outside, but the sun would rise soon.
 
“I love you, Yuki-kun. Never forget that.” She whispered.
 
A warm feeling spread in his chest. “You will always be with me, won't you Honda-san? Even when I can't see you?”
 
She smiled. “That's right.” When they reached the house on the hill the sun peeked over the horizon. “Welcome home, Yuki-kun.”
 
Yuki's eyes flew open, started. He looked around. He was in his own bedroom. He made for the door before he remembered. Tohru had left them months ago. He checked his clock. 2:30 it read. He sighed and made his way downstairs.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Kyo came home from the dojo exhausted. As soon as he stepped inside his ears were assaulted by a flurry of noise. In the living room two young boys were have a tug-of-war over the remote. In the hallway, he saw a little girl sitting with her knees drawn to her chest. She appeared to be sucking on her hair. When she spotted Kyo, she walked up to him and quietly raised her arms.
 
He stared at her. She couldn't have been more than three years old. She looked just like Tohru only with…orange hair. “Um, what?”
 
Brows furrowed, she raised her arms higher. “Y-You want me to pick you up, is that it?”
 
She nodded. How was he supposed to hold such a fragile looking thing?
 
The boys in the living room dropped the remote and came running over.
 
“Dad!” One shouted.
 
“Papa!” Shouted the other.
 
Twins. But for the brown hair, it was like seeing himself at eight years old. They were both talking at once.
 
“Dad! Dad! Today at school there was a—”
 
“Papa, I got to feed the—”
 
“…and there was blood all over the—”
 
“…but Jini-senpai killed it by—”
 
Meanwhile, the little girl, tired of being ignored, climbed up his leg and somehow ended up in his arms. She laid her orange head on his shoulder.
 
“My goodness, your father just got home and already you're telling him the lore and gore of your day.” Said a voice from behind. Kyo turned. Tohru smiled, that same smile he had missed seeing everyday.
 
“Welcome home, Kyo-kun.” Then, to his astonishment, she kissed him.
 
Kyo felt his face heat. When she pulled away she laughed. “Eight years and three children, and you act like it's our first kiss.”
 
The boys made gagging noises and burst into giggles.
 
“Wash up for dinner you two,” Tohru told them.
 
“But, Mom,” they protested simultaneously.
 
“Last one back from washing, doesn't get any desserts.” She announced. They took off.
 
“That means you too, young lady.” Reluctantly, she allowed herself to be lowered to the ground and walked slowly in the direction her brothers took.
 
Kyo caught sight of the wedding band on Tohru's left hand and its partner on his own. He and Tohru were…married? They had a family?
 
“Now, where were we?” There was a slight purr in her voice. She slipped her arms around him and kissed him longer and deeper. The passion in the kiss jolted him from sleep. Blushing slightly he looked out the window. It can't be pass two he thought. Damn it! He rubbed a hand over his face. She's been gone for months, when was this going to get easier? He was almost used to the pang in his chest whenever he thought of her, but the dreams…the dreams made him hope for things he had no business hoping for. He sighed, there was no way he'd get any sleep now.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Tohru sat at the window of her great-grandmother's mansion. It had enough rooms to house the entire population of Japan. The décor spoke of elegance and history. The view was breathtaking, and everyone who tended to the mansion was so kind to her. But…it wasn't home and they were not family. She sighed. I miss them. It had been six months. They had no idea where she was, had not heard from her at all and all attempts to find her had stopped. So, when can I go back? She asked herself. I mustn't be selfish. I must go back when it's time, not when I can't bear to stay away any longer. She looked up the sky. Soon.
 
(-)(-)(-)