Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Tohru's Curse ❯ Memories ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]

 
Chapter Six
 
By the time they had gotten her to the hospital, Tohru was breathing again. They put her in ICU. She was stabilized, but had not yet come into consciousness.
Hatori could not stop blaming himself. Something had gone wrong. Terribly wrong. She had died. For a few minutes her heart had stopped beating. That had never happened before. He checked her vitals. No change. He had put himself in charge of her care. He owed her that at least. He was going over her chart when a soft glow illuminated the room. He went to close the window when he realized that it was coming from Tohru. He stared. She had lit up like that the last time she was sick. Something had tugged at his mind then, as it did now. Something about seeing another such glow…
 
He ran out of there and nearly collided with Rin. He barely stopped to apologize before he was down the hall.
 
Rin looked in on Tohru, alarmed. Nothing seemed amiss. She scowled down at the younger girl. “Didn't I tell you this would happen? Didn't I warn you to stay away? Dammit! Why'd you do it?” The tears infuriated her, but not as much as Tohru's foolishness. “You knew about the curse. You've seen the cat's true form. And you stayed! Why the hell did you stay? What did you hope to accomplish? Did you think you could save us? That you could make a difference? It would have been better if you'd just given up and gone home. You idiot!” Rin was on her knees now, openly sobbing at Tohru's bedside. She felt a hand reach out to touch her cheek.
 
“Please don't cry.” Tohru said, weakly.
 
Rin straightened and wiped furiously at the tears on her face.
“Is that what you were waiting for?” She demanded. “For me to humiliate myself before finally waking up?”
 
“Um…I-I'm sorry.”
 
Rin glared at the other girl. Tohru stared back with blank confusion. Then she remembered. Her memories had been suppressed.
 
Rin turned abruptly. She paused when Tohru grabbed her wrist. “Wait, please. Do I…Do I know you?” Tohru peered up at Rin. “I do. Don't I?”
 
I…I…” Rin clenched her fists. She looked back at her. She saw recognition in those eyes. Impossible. She isn't supposed to recognize me. “You need your rest.” She said curtly, pulling away. She had taken three steps when she heard her say haltingly. “Izusu-san.” Rin froze.
 
“That's your name. Isn't it?” Tohru got up, her hospital gown rustling as she crossed the room. “What has happened to me, Izusu-san? Why am I in the hospital?”
 
“Your memories have been suppressed. “ Rin replied, tonelessly.
 
“Why? Did I cause someone trouble?”
 
“You did nothing wrong. You just…made friends with the wrong people.” What am I going to do? I want you to remember, but I'd hate it if you got hurt again. “Don't worry about it. Your memories will come back in time.” That was a lie. Rin knew that when Hatori suppressed someone's memories, they stayed that way. But Tohru recognized her.
Surely that made her different. Rin firmly banked down on the sliver hope. There was no use in hoping for anything, now. Tohru would never remember them.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Shigure watched was Yuki and Kyo silently packed up their belongings. Yuki was going to live above the flower shop across from Ayame's shop and Kyo was going to live with Shishou. They wouldn't say as much, but he knew it was painful for them to stay.
 
“I take it you two aren't going to visit Tohru.”
 
“There's no point.” Yuki said. “She wouldn't know us.”
 
“We'd probably freak her out.” Kyo murmured.
 
“That isn't true.” Haru said coming up the stairs.
 
“What do you know?” Kyo snapped, without heat.
 
“Rin was there when she woke up.” Haru said, calmly. “Not only did she see recognition in her eyes, but she knew her name.”
 
They stared at him in disbelief.
 
“That's not possible,” Shigure said, at last. “When Hatori suppresses someone's memories there's no undoing it. He's careful about these things.”
 
“Kisa says it's because she loves us. Memories will come and go, but when you love someone you never really stop.” Haru shrugged. “Anyway, you should go see her.”
 
“If my memories are erased please, will you still be my friend?” She had asked. That was all she ever really asked of him, Yuki thought, to be her friend.
“I want to see her.” Yuki said. “Akito forbade it, but I don't care. I want to see her.”
 
“Good,” Haru glanced expectantly at Kyo.
 
“I'll pass thanks.” Kyo went back to his packing.
 
Shigure made a sound of disapproval. “Kyo, I thought you cared about Tohru. Are you, perhaps, seeing someone else?”
 
Kyo would not let Shigure bait him, not today. “It's for the best,” he muttered.
 
“You aren't even going to fight for her are you? Stupid cat.” Yuki, having held it in for too long, exploded. “You didn't leave her side at all the way to the hospital, and now you won't even go see her? I knew you were useless, but I didn't think you were worthless. Why haven't you been there for her?”
 
“Because I don't want Akito to kill her!” Kyo slammed the box to the ground. “You guys just don't get it! Neither of you! I love that girl, and I promised I'd look out for her. If that means staying away from her then­­­-” He growled in frustration. “Do you know what it was like?” He demanded, his eyes bloodshot from anger and lack of sleep. “Do you know what was like watching the person you want to be with, die in your arms? I won't go through that again. I can't.” His voice shook, shaming him. He sank to the floor. “She was fine before she got mixed up with us, she'll be alright.”
 
“And what if she remembers everything?” Haru asked. “How can you just shut her out of your life once she knows?” Haru stepped into Kyo's room and said gently. “I know you want to see her. Take the back way, after hours. I used to visit Rin that way all the time. Think about it.”
 
Kyo made a noncommittal sound. If she was already asleep…what harm would it do?
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Kyo gazed at the sleeping Tohru. She's so beautiful, he thought, not for the first time. It was late, far past visiting hours, but he couldn't stay away. He knelt in front of her, memorizing the relaxed lines of her face. “All I ever wanted was to be near you. I know I don't have the right…that I don't deserve anything more… but if I could just be near you, I'd feel…blessed.” He took her hand, noting how small and soft it was. “I missed you so much when you were away. There were times when I thought that you were just a dream, a figment of my imagination, then I'd step into your room and your scent would fill my head. It'd be like you were right there.” He swallowed the painful knot in his throat. “I
can't help but feel you're hiding something from us. From me. You've told us about your curse, but there's something else isn't there? Something terrible­—”
 
Tohru began to glow. He'd seen that same bright light the last time she was sick. It nearly blinded him, now. A figure rose out of Tohru. The figure had her face, but that's where the similarities seemed to end. The colorless darkened eyes were particularly haunting.
 
Hello, little cat.” The voice was distant, almost hallow.
 
“W-Who the hell are you?” Kyo stared with a mixture of horror and anger. “You…You're the one who has possessed Tohru. Let her go! Let her go, right now!”
 
It is her destiny. As it was yours to be the cat, it is hers to be guardian.” It said, calmly.
And I have not possessed her. I have never met a more selfless soul. She could have destroyed me, as I would have destroyed her, but she willingly let me stay. She wishes to save you, all of you. She wishes your freedom.”
 
“She wants to break the curse,” Kyo said, bleakly. “That's why she left.”
 
Yes and no.” The voice gentled. “Every guardian was doomed to fall in love. Honda-san fell in love with you far before I came to her. No amount of distance could weaken that. That's why she gave you her heart. It was her way of letting go. You should let go too. The curse must be broken, and you will not interfere. Even if it means her life.”
 
“You're telling me to do nothing while Tohru dies?” The spirit nodded.
“Like hell.” Kyo snarled.
 
It isn't in your power to deny destiny.”
 
“Screw destiny.” He snapped. “I would move heaven and hell to protect her.”
 
The guardian sighed. “You are as willful as ever, little cat. Perhaps she can make you understand.”
 
As the spirit shimmered away, the bright light dimmed.
 
Tohru's eyes fluttered open. “K-Kyo-kun?”
 
He blinked as she sat up. “Do you…do you remember?”
 
She turned her hand under his so their finger laced. “There are some things a heart can never forget, and I remember everything.”
 
He pulled her to him. “I won't watch you die. I can't. Surely, destiny wouldn't be so cruel.”
 
Tohru looked into his eyes. Eyes wild with pain. She leaned up and touched her lips on his. The kiss was soothing, promising ease to his near-broken soul. Soothing and oh-so-sweet. A taste he'd secretly craved for, for the simple reason that it was her.
 
She broke the kiss and rested her head on his shoulder, a light blush on her cheeks. “I'll always love you, Kyo-kun. Just like your mother will always love you, the way my mother will always love me. As long as you remember that, you'll never really be alone.” She smiled, soft and wistful. “If I die tomorrow, I don't want you to forget how very much I love you, Kyo-kun.”
 
He didn't know what to say to that. He spent the rest of the night holding her, half wishing that the sun wouldn't rise on another day.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Yuki met Hiro on his way to the hospital. He raised his brow at the colorful array of orchids he had in his arms.
 
“Kisa doesn't like how dull her room is.” He mumbled, flushing.
 
“Considerate of you.” Yuki said. She got to you too, didn't she?
 
They could here the music from the lobby. Someone was playing the violin. It seemed to be coming from Tohru's floor. The tune was vaguely familiar to Yuki's ears.
 
“Is that “When You Wish Upon A Star”?” Yuki wondered.
 
“Who would be playing that in a hospital?” They get to Tohru's room. “Of course.”
Hiro muttered, spotting his blond cousin.
 
Tohru clapped, delighted. “Oh, Momiji! That was wonderful. Thank you so much. You have gotten so talented.”
 
The boy bowed, gallantly. “Anything for you, Tohru.”
 
“Someday you can play for your family.”
 
Yuki saw his eyes dim a little. “Maybe.”
 
“Oh, Yuki-kun. Hiro-chan.” Tohru noticed them standing at the door. “Please. Come in.”
 
Hiro set the orchids by the window, with the others he had brought.
 
“How are you feeling, Honda-san?” Yuki asked, sitting at the foot of her bed.
 
“Much better. I get released tomorrow.” She smiled at Hiro. “Thank you again for the flowers, Hiro-chan. I'm sure Kisa-kun appreciates the gesture.”
 
He flushed and nodded, curtly. “I didn't know you played the violin.” He said to Momiji.
 
Momiji smiled. “Eight years.” He said proudly.
 
“There are many things we don't know about each other.” Yuki commented, a little sadly.
 
“It's never too late to learn. “ Tohru piped, cheerfully.
 
“We'll have a big welcome home party for you, Tohru.” Momiji's eyes lit up inspired. “I'm sure Shigure wouldn't mind and I'll invite the whole family. We'll have so much fun.”
 
“Stupid rabbit, have you forgotten already?” Hiro demanded.
 
The atmosphere turned tense, Akito forbade them to associate with her.
 
“Shigure came to see me the other day,” Tohru said, gently. “He offered to let me stay until I find my own place. I bought our old apartment, so I'll move in when the renovations are done. It's not far off Sohma property.”
 
Yuki smiled wistfully. Just like the first time…
 
“Okay, then we'll have it at school.” Momiji went on, undeterred. “It'll be Tohru Day!”
 
“Oh, no. We couldn't do that,” Tohru panicked. “I can't ask you to go through so much trouble, and it's not like I haven't ever been sick before.”
 
“Will you ever stop deciding things on your own?” Hiro had a feeling that that would never change.
 
“Maybe just a small family dinner,” Yuki suggested. “at home.”
 
Tohru smiled, calmed. “I'd like that.”
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Tohru laid her head on her pillow, with a sigh. It feels so good to be home. She remembered the look on Kyo's face when he saw her, and giggled, blushing. He had held her hand beneath the table all through dinner. When Momiji caught him he still didn't let go. She sighed, and snuggled under the covers. Soon.
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Shigure woke groggily as the phone rang shrilly at his table. He looked at his clock. 3 A.M. He picked up the phone. “Hello?” He said, sleepily.
 
“Shigure.”
 
“Haa-san? What are you doing up this time of night?”
 
“It's important, Shigure. It's about Tohru-kun. Do you remember how she glowed the last time she was sick?”
 
“Mm-hmm…” Shigure yawned. “You said it w as a trick of the light or something.”
 
“It wasn't. The last time I saw a glow like that it was because another spirit had descended the soul of a baby.”
 
Shigure's eyes flew open. “Isn't that dangerous? I've always thought two souls couldn't share the same body? Not without serious harm. What happened to the baby?”
 
“It's Haru. He survived because he's able to switch his dark side off and on.”
 
“And what does this have to do with Tohru?”
 
“She doesn't have the same control as Haru. The nurses say she has woken up in the middle of the night, several times, screaming in agonizing pain. I'm afraid the extra spirit inside her will shatter the confines of her body and kill her.”
 
“Why hasn't she said anything?” When Hatori said nothing, Shigure swallowed a trickle of fear. “What is it, Hatori?”
 
“I think she means to break the curse.”
 
Suddenly a bolt of pain shot at Shigure, ripping at his insides and subsiding as quickly as it came. He heard Hatori gasp. “You, too?”
 
“What was that?”
 
Shigure's whole body seized up in trepidation. Tohru…
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Kyo woke in the middle of the night on a gasp of pain. What the hell? He rubbed his hand over his heart. He made his way downstairs. Yuki came down a little later. “You, too?”
 
Yuki nodded. “I thought I had a heart attack for a second.”
 
They both simultaneously looked out the window. It was twilight. Bad luck to go outside now. Almost in a trance, they left the house. As if an invisible force had pulled them, they found themselves inside. Kyo blinked. The main house? Kyo and Yuki weren't the only ones there. Shigure, Hatori, rest of the juunishi stood in front of the house.
A bright light shone on the highest roof. They stared up at it, mesmerized.
 
That's Tohru, Kyo thought, panicked. Why can't I move?
 
“You will not interfere,” the spirit had said.
 
No!
 
“It isn't in your power to deny destiny.”
 
Tohru!
 
“Don't forget how very much I love you, Kyo-kun.” It was a vow that was engraved into his soul. Kyo stopped struggling. Destiny. He had to let her go.
 
Tohru looked up at the sky and held out her arms. They could see something visibly change in Tohru. She smiled down at them. “Hello, my friends.” The distant, hollow voice boomed around them. “Please forgive my long absence.”
 
The cat within Kyo purred. He could hear the animals within the others call out to the guardian, as well.
 
The guardian held out her hand to them. “Come. It is time to go home.”
 
Kyo felt something pull out of the very depths of his soul. At first he couldn't breath, the same twinge he had felt earlier returned. Then it was gone. As if a heavy burden had been lifted, he felt a lightness so strong he fell to his knees. That's when he saw it. An orange cat. It blinked at him, cocked its head insolently, and then ascended up to the guardian. A dog and rat were already there.
 
The last thing he saw before he fainted was a small child, running toward her. God…
 
(-)(-)(-)
 
Yuki awoke to the sound of hysterical sobbing. “No! No! No! Why did she do it? She shouldn't have been able to! The promise!” It was Akito. His voice is different