Full Moon Wo Sagashite Fan Fiction ❯ Finding the Gateway to Heaven ❯ The Bridge ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9 -The Bridge, a brief interlude, yet the longest

The months passed, and it became time for Mitsuki to enter junior high. Takuto enrolled in the local high school, though he had been offered a place as a university candidate, his tutelage under the Kouyamas and Wakaoji helping him to excel on the entrance exams. Hoping to enjoy as much of a regular school life as he could, Takuto had insisted on beginning in the same high school as Mitsuki, placing himself a year behind as a first year in senior high, the excuse given that his upcoming surgery would keep him out of school for a time. Of course, the main reason was to be with Mitsuki as much as he could during her school years.

The surgery itself went exceptionally well. Wakaoji and a team of doctors excised Takuto's tumor with no complications at the end of exams in February. Takuto's voice was left intact, and he found himself singing strongly again in but a few short weeks, much to Mitsuki's delight as he was finally able to join her singing together in their spare time. Her own voice had recovered completely as well, though she was dismayed to find that it was still weaker than when she had been Full Moon.

"Your body was that of a sixteen year old, Mitsuki, your vocal chords just need a bit more time," explained Wakaoji-sensei.

"I know, but I want to begin singing again!" was her reply, after which Mitsuki finally showed him the songbook which had grown laden with poetry over the course of the year. Inside its pages were now hundreds of drafts, and beginning from the book's final page were thirty-five completed songs.

"I even have tunes for them all," she told him eagerly, being true as she had originally sung them first, anyway.

Wakaoji looked the book over carefully over the course of a week, whistling as he finally reached the back cover.

"I see about five in here that we can start recording the music for immediately, Mitsuki. If it is ok, I'll bring the book to a recording studio tomorrow."

"Can you just make copies, Wakaoji-sensei?" asked Mitsuki.

The answer was of course yes, and soon after their conversation her music was off to the studio to begin the process of forming them into hit singles. Surprised that only five were acceptable, Mitsuki asked, "But what about the other ones?"

"Well, let's go over them," Wakaoji said, setting his tea carefully away from the notes, "These ten are too repetitive, Mitsuki. If you look at the chords carefully, you use the same phrases too often in the songs. These few here are somewhat discordant, and though I know you meant to…" he continued, slowly proceeding through each line.

Mitsuki listened with rapt attention. From that time forward, she paid much more attention to form and structure after her heart had poured forth the tunes inside. And surprisingly, she found that knowledge blended well with intuition.

Takuto told her upon her sharing her revelation, "Of course! Did you think that musicians always just follow their heart to come up with music? Sheesh..." earning him a well deserved pulled down lower eyelid and stuck out tongue…phhbt.

Their relationship developed quite well, as well. Takuto found her refreshing, easy to speak with, kind, and as each day passed grew fonder of her. Mitsuki finally began seeing Takuto's fiery passion and gentle side more often than his surly one, and found her own feelings growing more intense as the days passed. The two became one of the more talked about couples at school, as even the simple manner in which they passed each other in the hallways underscored their feelings towards one another, though with a calmness that many admired.

"Mitsuki and Takuto are the perfect couple," Wakana said out of the blue one day, sighing heavily, "I wonder if I could ever be such a good bride."

Mitsuki blushed at these words, though her other friends just nodded dreamily to back up Wakana.

"Um… what about Saoho, you two seem to be getting along well?"
"Yeah, but he's not as passionate as Takuto, and I'm just so shy all the time… it's like all we do is study for exams together…"

"And I can't just look into Kouji's eyes and smile like you do, I still feel so shy around him," said Ayu, one of Mitsuki's friends in the new school.

Mitsuki looked at them for a short time, and finally smiled, "As long as you love, it will be ok. Every relationship will be different, and develop in its own way. You are all happy, and that is what's important!"

"Oooooh!" said one, "Wow! That's true!" said another, "Mitsuki, you really are so wise!" said yet another.

Mitsuki had indeed matured considerably, and found her popularity at school uncomfortably high although not necessarily negative. She just didn't think of herself as so special, although the girls who sometimes approached her for advice out of the blue spoke so highly of her after finally getting a chance to speak with the great, wise, beautiful Mitsuki. Indeed, she had become something of an idol at their new school, even the older students seemed in awe of her as she walked down the halls, almost always smiling, laughing, or in deep contemplation of something, and of course, in the most serious and wonderful romance that any of them could wish for.

Her grades were good as well, as she really did try hard. Every day she returned home and proceeded to her schoolwork. Afterwards, to her surprise, she found herself speaking with her grandmother about serious topics, and on a much different level than ever before. They even occasionally discussed Mitsuki's mother, though her grandmother always had a sad look when she spoke about her own daughter. The guilt slowly eased under Mitsuki's gentle inquiries, though, and the evening of her parents' memorial, Mitsuki returned home to find her grandmother crying softly to herself in the living room.

"Mitsuki, could you please come and have a seat?"

"Yes, grandmother, is something wrong?"

"Of course, dear, or I wouldn't be crying," she smiled. Before Mitsuki could interrupt, she continued, "Mitsuki, I just wanted to tell you how happy I am with you. You really are a wonderful granddaughter, and your mother… and father… raised a fine fine daughter. Thank you for being here with me, Mitsuki."

"Grandmother!" Mitsuki exclaimed, and after a few seconds of staring like a doe at her grandmother, bowed down and pressed her head to the ground, "You took me in, and it was so hard for you. I honestly, truly, thank you, grandmother, all of my happiness is possible because of you."

Her grandmother simply remained kneeling, smiling, tears gently rolling down her cheeks, and finally leaned over to hug Mitsuki in her awkward position. Feeling her grandmother on top of her, Mitsuki was too startled to move, but soon the gentle pressure lifted.

"That is all, Mitsuki, I am sure you have things to do. Thank you."

The days continued regularly, and Mitsuki came to realize just how lonely her grandmother had been for all those years. Now, she was able to attempt the role of a mother again, becoming the willing host for the frequent play times with her three best school friends, the rare visits by Madoka, after some time, Wakaoji and Ooshige's occasional visits, and after quite some time, even Takuto.

Her grandmother was indeed a shrewd woman, and had one day told Wakaoji-sensei, "Isn't it time you two stopped playing around, Wakaoji-sensei. You are my granddaughter's guardian, after all, and it is sets a bad example for you to practically be living with an unmarried woman."

Wakaoji had been stunned at the inference, and though there was a slightly teasing tone to her words and smile, she meant what she said.

"Perhaps in two years, ma'am," he had replied, "both Ooshige and I are very busy right now, it would just be too difficult for the both of us to get married."

"I understand that you are busy. Mitsuki will be 16 then, I suppose that will do," hinting at a previous conversation regarding Takuto.

When her grandmother had first learned that Mitsuki was dating, she had actually gone so far as to ground Mitsuki for a week. "I do NOT approve of a 14 year old in such a serious relationship, as long as you live here, this is absolutely unacceptable!" she had exclaimed forcefully. But then she had had the open-mindedness to at least meet Takuto, who had approached her with such formality, grace, and caring for Mitsuki that her grandmother had instantly approved, though an entire month passed before she 'allowed' Mitsuki to go on an escorted date. At that time, Wakaoji had convinced her to let them be together as long as he was a chaperone, until Mitsuki turned 16 and she could go alone.

Said age loomed nearer, as Mitsuki's 15th birthday passed.

Less than a year now, she thought constantly, though song production was already well underway. She and Takuto finally went to the studio a month after her birthday. If any of the staff had trouble accepting the girl with the dyed hair as Full Moon, they said nothing, and any doubts were put to rest once her voice coursed through the speakers. Wakaoji and Ooshige had arranged for as few people as possible to know the whereabouts of the now private recording studio, and to meet with the revived Full Moon herself. Much more difficult on the pair was the soon well-known fact that Takuto Kira was accompanying Full Moon on vocals. Though excluded from any fame on the labels, his voice was rather easy to recognize, and rumors began flying around the city, including their school.

It seemed a miracle that no reporters discovered the truth, considering how many they saw in the first two weeks following the release of their first album. The day of release, Takuto walked out of Wakaoji's front door to find literally hundreds of press associates snooping on the front yard. This continued for almost a week and a half, but fortunately the barrage faded quickly, as Takuto was too friendly yet dismissive towards them, and Ooshige's carefully crafted strategy worked wonders. Just as the pressure seemed as if it would intensify, all three of her power stars announced a joint drama together, diverting attention away from the Full Moon saga. From that point on, Full Moon became a mystery that nobody could solve, and somehow the press left them alone.

Their first album was a success, much like saying that there are several stars in the sky. It quickly sold out repeatedly for two years straight, despite the fact that the entire CD was made free to download from Full Moon's official website. Of course, said website became so overloaded that more than a thousand mirrors were made by fans across the globe. The songs simply spread everywhere, though their very essence did not intrude on people's lives.

"Full Moon's first return CD is a mixture of pleasant soothing elegance and entrancing rhythmical beats the like of which the world has never heard."
"This CD represents the pinnacle of human vocal accomplishment!"
"Oh, I like track number one the best, it's so relaxing."
"Kiss of Rain is my favorite, I listen to it but can get it out of my head, it's so nice."
"Full Moon? Of course I've heard of her, she sings my favorite song, you know."
"Who hasn't heard of Full Moon?"
"Oh yeah, I think she's singing to me…"
"Full Moon rocks!"

"Rapping's a grenade, but Full Moon is the bomb!"
"Yeah, I own the CD, I downloaded the MP3s first, but it's just something I had to own."
"My friends all couldn't believe that I listened to her at first, but then they overheard it at my house, and now they all own the CD."
"What's not to like about it, it's the best music ever!"
"Well, I listen mostly to classical music and opera, and of course Full Moon…"

"What do you think of having a concert when you turn 16, Mitsuki?" asked Wakaoji after one of the longer recording sessions, as the group sat in the lounge chairs outside of the sound room.

"Really, Wakaoji-sensei, will it be ok?"

"We have had luck so far, and I think it would be a great day to keep your promise to everyone."

"You mean, on my birthday?" Mitsuki asked, her eyes glazing over dreamily.

Wakaoji laughed and smiled, "Yes, that's what we were thinking."

Takuto stretched and placed his hands behind his neck, as Wakaoji continued, "Well, actually, it was Takuto's idea," causing Takuto to glare at doctor, "Bah!" was all he said, though he grinned slightly.

Mitsuki cuddled into his breast and answered, "I think it would be wonderful. Thank you."

"Mitsuki, if it's ok with you, we are going to have three opening acts, each singing three songs. One, of course, will be Wakamatsu Madoka," began Ooshige-san.

"Of course!" said Mitsuki, "Please ask her to sing Coming Back to Me, it's one of my favorite songs! And Lament. Oh, and Ballad of the Lost. Hmm, I think she could also…"

"Of course," Ooshige interrupted, smiling, "The other two are Sakura Sato and Anjel."

"Sakura-chan is incredible! Wow!" said Mitsuki

"And Anjel is one of the best bands in the country," said Takuto, retaining his cool composure, "I hope they don't upstage us," he grinned to Mitsuki.

"I hope we all do well, I know I'll try my best," she said, snuggling further into his breast, as the urge overtook him and he wrapped his arm around her, "I just can't wait to sing to people again."

"We'll be meeting with the musicians in two weeks," said Wakaoji, "I imagine you want to make your own songlist, but here is a suggestion if you need help," and handed her a piece of paper listing most every song she had written in a well thought-out order.

"Wow! Wakaoji-sensei, how long will this concert be? This would take me," she thought for a moment, "a lot of hours to sing everything!"

"Haha! Well, with how successful your songs have been on the radio, we've been able to get the best hall available, and…" he paused.

"What? What is it?"

"Well, Mitsuki, the mayor wanted to be there, and the governor, and the President, and lots of other people, so they are practically closing the rest of the city… so, well, you have as many hours as you feel like singing."

Mitsuki could only stare, and finally blinked. When she looked up, she found Takuto in the same happily dazed state, and he turned his eyes to hers.

"That many people, huh?" she asked.

"I think everyone is afraid that this will again be your last concert for a long time again, so nobody wants to miss it," said Ooshige, "when I told Takasu-sensei, he shook his head, laughed, and asked if he could buy five hundred tickets from me as an investment."

The four of them laughed, and continued their mental preparations for the concert. They talked about the last few months, and shared how eager they all were to have another stage performance.

News of the concert spread so quickly that the next day in school it was impossible not to overhear a conversation about it. Nobody could figure out how Takuto could maintain his amazing relationship with Mitsuki, and still be preparing to perform in a live concert with Full Moon in but a few short months. Most had given up on attempting to goad the truth out of the pair.

"Mitsuki, you must know, can't you tell us?" Wakana had asked the next day, as the four sat in Mitsuki's room.

"Please, Mitsuki," pleaded Tomoe, "We're your best friends, we won't tell anyone," goaded Kumi.

Mitsuki had prepared for this moment.

"You see," she began, the three friends crowding in closer to her, "I am Full Moon."

"Waaaa?!" they all exclaimed together.

"Well, she does sound like Full Moon sometimes," suggested Tomoe.

"But she doesn't look like Full Moon at all!" noted Kumi.

"And Full Moon is four years older, so it can't be," explained Wakana.

"But she said it so seriously!"

"She sure is looking at us oddly…"

"But Full Moon should be 19!"

"Well, maybe Mitsuki is 19?"
The three laughed in the little circle they had formed, Mitsuki merely sitting with her forehead teardrop off to the side, watching the conversation.

"No, we've been to her parties for the last three years, and she was 12 when we first went, I think she was 15 at the last one."

The three turned and stared at Mitsuki, causing another teardrop to form on her brow.

"Maybe if her hair was blonde?"

"Or straighter."

"Or if she were taller."

"But Full Moon is 19!"

Finally, their little circle broke, and the Three nodded to each other. Kumi finally came forward and pointed her finger decisively at Mitsuki.

"We've decided!" she said, "You can't be Full Moon, sorry."

At this, Mitsuki fell down laughing, causing teardrops to form on the other three's heads.

"She was joking all along," said Wakana.

"She didn't mean it at all," said Tomoe.

"Let's get her," said Kumi, and nodding at each other again, the three pounced on Mitsuki, tickling her furiously.

Mitsuki laughed painfully as she endured the assault, which lasted a good five minutes, before all of them turned on each other and the four found themselves belly up, clutching their aching sides, their laughter slowly quieting down.

Finally Mitsuki sat up, and turned seriously to them, "But it's true… I really am Full Moon. I can't explain how, but it really is true."

"Wow, you're serious, aren't you, Mitsuki!"

"Yes, it's not a lie! I wish I could have told you a long time ago, I wish I could explain. I'm sorry."

"But wasn't Full Moon…" "So Full Moon wasn't…" "What about Full Moon's being…"

"16?" they all asked together.

"Maybe Mitsuki lied at the audition!" said Tomoe, "I know! You dyed your hair and walked on stilts!"

"Maybe she met a fairy godmother who transformed her!" said Kumi.

"Maybe Full Moon was 16, but when she was Mitsuki, she was only 12!" said Wakana.

"Eh?" said the other two.

"Well, it's almost the same thing that you said, Kumi," Wakana countered, blushing.

"Wow, Mitsuki is Full Moon!" the three exclaimed, and reveled in the revelation for a while.

"But please, don't tell anyone," Mitsuki asked, her eyes brimming.

"Of course not!"

"No way!"

"Well, um, what about Saoho…" began Tomoe, but was stopped short by the death glare from the other two girls, "Ahh! Ok ok, I promise!"

Mitsuki only smiled, "And of course, I want to give you tickets to the concert, so don't buy them, ok?"

"Mitsuki!" the three exclaimed.

"I mean, Full Moon!?" said Kumi with a puzzled expression on her face, and the four looked at each other and laughed.

Preparations for the concert went more quickly than any other time in Mitsuki's life. She barely even felt its passage, as she went to the hall to practice with the band, met with Madoka, Sakura, and the lead singer of Anjel, tried on hundreds of different outfits, met with designers, crew, sound, lighting, stage technicians, and of course, all while still going to school, though she was frequently absent. The rumors that abounded from her excessive absences began to worry both her and Takuto, as people started whispering behind their backs and even avoiding the pair. One day they walked into the cafeteria and sat down, to find that most people averted their gaze, and the nearby tables excused themselves barely halfway through the course of their meal.

Tomoe walked in and sat down with them, and noticing the sad expressions on her friends' faces asked, "What's wrong, you two?" and leaned over to whisper between them, "Is everything for the concert going ok?"

Mitsuki and Takuto looked at each other for a moment. After a moment, Takuto looked down at and began playing with his food, before Mitsuki finally asked, "Tomoe, why is everyone avoiding us?"

Tomoe was startled by the question, but after a moment began laughing.

"Tomoe! It's true, wherever we go…"

Tomoe stopped laughing, and answered, smiling, "You two really don't know? Well, let me ask you something. How would you feel if one person that you knew was the hottest topic of the century, going out with a girl who was starting to look more and more like Full Moon herself, and yet no matter how hard you tried, you couldn't find out the truth?"

Takuto chuckled as he twirled his chopsticks in the bowl of rice before him, and Mitsuki rested her chin on her hands as she said, "I guess we do seem odd, huh?"

Kumi suddenly said, as she and Wakana walked up to the table and placed their trays down, "Seem odd? You two have everyone so frustrated they don't know what to do! I overheard someone crying yesterday, as she said to her friend, 'I bet that Mitsuki is Full Moon, but if that's true, why is she still 16? I'm scared! Maybe she's a witch!' and to tell you the truth, I wonder how you're Full Moon, too!"

"Not so loud, Kumi!" cried Tomoe, causing heads to turn towards their table.

Kumi was only smiling, though, and continued, "Well, you two should stop looking so glum, if you're not going to tell anyone what's going on, this is how people are going to react!"

"I guess it's true, Takuto… maybe we should just tell everyone, then, maybe my plan isn't working right…"

-------------------------------------

"I think I have an idea!" Mitsuki exclaimed in their dressing room that day.

"Ok," responded Takuto lightly, leaning back into the chair, his arms behind his head.

"Well, we just won't say anything at all!"

"Eh?"

"Why do we have to tell anyone, huh? I mean, if we just stay quiet, people will come up with whatever they want, right?"

"Isn't that a problem, Mitsuki? They'll be making all sorts of really bad rumors about you."

"Takuto, I want to sing and share the music, isn't that what you want, too?"

Blushing now, Takuto answered defensively, and crossed his arms in front of his chest, "Well, yes, but, it'll be hard on us if we're being hounded by reporters and can't live normally."

"I think that if we just don't say anything… don't you think people will just give up after a while?"

"Hmm, sometimes, but if Full Moon is a really a big idol, never! When I was with Route L, we weren't so famous, and still had lots of problems…"

"Route L was very famous, Takuto!"

"Well…"

"And my parents lived normally, I don't remember always having reporters around when I was little!"

"True, but…"

"And that's exactly what they did! They just didn't talk about themselves, no matter how much they were asked."

Takuto sat quietly for a while, and finally ran his hand through his hair, scratching the top, "You're right, and everyone just left them alone. Ah, I guess we can try it, maybe it will work, even."

"I just know it will! Takuto, as long as we focus on what we want, to share music, the rest will be ok."

"Mitsuki…" Takuto said compassionately as he stared into her passionate eyes.

-------------------------------------

"No, I think this will pass," said Wakana, "you're the one that always tells us to be true to ourselves, Mitsuki."

"She's right," added Tomoe, "you always tell me not to give up, so you better not give up, either!"

Takuto grinned and said, "See what you got yourself into."

Mitsuki only folded her arms on the table and rested her head on them, "I just feel so weird around school now."

"It's only another month until the concert, anyway, we'll help you until then."

"And it's not like people hate you, Mitsuki, they just don't understand and are having trouble with that."

"Really?"

"I was talking to Megumi, and when she asked why you two were always out lately, she asked if you were sick again."

"I think everyone is just worried, really, Saoho keeps asking me if you two are ok, or if Full Moon is coming between you."

Mitsuki smiled as she closed her eyes, "Thank you…"

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The time for the concert was finally at hand.