Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ 20 Views of Alchemy ❯ Thunder ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do NOT own Fullmetal Alchemist or any of the characters for that matter. I am just merely...er, borrowing them as my muses at the moment. Do not sue me for anything but my imagination, which will not get you far in the courtroom. If there are any similarities between my story and another, I apologize but all I have to say is, I guess great minds think alike after all. Ja na! Enjoy!
 
Author: Tiasha
Title: Thunder
Word Count: 649
 
The rolling rumble hit the silence of the home like a sledgehammer. Clouds had been gathering all day and under normal circumstances, Winry would have thought nothing of it. It was the season for rainstorms so for clouds to gather during the daytime was not an uncommon occurrence. But there was something about this storm, something about this night that caused her stomach to churn.
Something was lurking in the darkness this storm brought. A heavy, oppressive weight that bore down on the whole town and Winry could not suppress the feeling of tread that grew in her heart. Something was going to happen tonight. She could feel it…
It was not until an hour or so before sunset when thunder cracked so loud that it not only shook the foundations of the house, but also the foundations of her soul. She had heard a scream with that crack of thunder. She had heard his scream of terror and unthinkingly ran out the front door, wanting nothing more than to be at his side. They had always stood up for her, believing that they were the only ones allowed to tease her and she had always been grateful for their loyalty.
But every fiber in her body urged her to run to their home even though she had no inkling as to what she would find there. The only thing that kept her rooted on the porch of her home was her grandmother's startled call and strong grip. Den was eager to investigate things as well but Winry called him to a halt when he began to move farther away than she was comfortable with.
Thunder rolled overhead as she stared out into the rain, her gaze settling in the direction of the Elric home. “It was Ed, Granny! It was Edward, I know it!” she cried in desperation when her grandmother's grip did not slacken. The old woman grunted in disbelief and began to drag her back inside, calling Den to follow suit. The dog did so reluctantly and Winry could sympathize him.
The two of them sat by the window anxiously, watching the rain fall harder and heavier with each passing minute. Something was wrong. She could feel it.
Another hour passed and suddenly the front door was thrown open and Winry found herself staring at a large suit of armor cradling the body of a young boy. The armor pleaded with them to save the boy, pleading in such a manner that the image of a younger boy with short, spiky dirty-blonde hair flashed through her mind.
“Al?” she questioned softly, not quite comprehending what she was seeing. Her grandmother had been quicker and quickly moved them into the spare room on the second floor.
Winry grabbed all the extra bandages she could find and filled the large basin with hot water before racing upstairs to help her grandmother. Their efforts to stop the bleeding were long and strenuous ones but were rewarded a few hours later with a peacefully sleeping Edward Elric. And then a strange man had shown up, claiming that he was a state alchemist and had known the boys' father. Her grandmother had quickly sent him away and for that Winry had been thankful. This was all too much to be happening in one night. And she did not even know what had actually happened either.
She turned to the armor that Alphonse's voice had come from to ask the questions that were bubbling to be asked but found that the air around the metal suit was one that spoke of pain and sorrow. Winry held her tongue and went to dress for bed. Saying a brief goodnight to those she loved with all her heart, she crawled in bed and felt the first tears prick her eyes as thunder continued to roll and boom overhead.
Since that night, she hated thunder.