Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ body.mind.soul ❯ Point of Break ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
She hears sobs. They are heart-wrenching and it pulls something within her. Perhaps it’s her motherly instinct, perhaps it’s just the emotion behind the cries, and perhaps it’s because she’s sure the only other person in this horrible place is Edward.
She turns, and briefly struggles with the weight of both Cain and the homunculus, and walks steadily towards the noise. She was close to the surface, but is does not matter now.
Edward (or someone) needs her.
She has two good legs, and that is all that matters.
He’s been walking around for a while, only clad in a strange mismatch of clothing that had been roughly transmuted from an odd red jacket and a blank tank-top.
The last thing he can remember is smiling at his brother before putting his hands on the transmutation circle.
Something, obviously, went wrong. But what, exactly, that something is beyond him. The place he is in is abandoned and in ruins.
He collapses on the floor. He is lost and tired and confused and now it’s all coming out. He starts to sob heavily, which he feels awful for because brother wouldn’t do this. Brother probably would’ve found a way out of this horrible maze.
And the crying worsens, because he doesn’t know where brother could be or anything.
He doesn’t really know how long he has been sitting on the floor (road?) but it has probably been a while. His tears have stopped thankfully, but the whole ordeal has left him messier than he already was along with an increasing headache.
Suddenly he hears footsteps. He looks up and sees a woman.
She is carrying a boy with long black hair who appears to have a missing arm and leg. There is also, from what he can see, a baby held in a rough carrier on her back. Both the carrier and the bandages on the boy’s legs seemed to made of pieces of the woman’s dress.
It is hard to make out any distinct facial features because of the gloom and dust that seems to have accumulated everywhere.
The woman adjusts the boy and holds out a dusty hand to help him up.
“My name is Rose,” she says.
He grasps her hand and gently stands.
He smiles at Rose.
“I’m Alphonse.”