Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Cold Steel; Preview ❯ The Investiagtion ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note from the Author;
I apologize for my Australian spelling; you will have to make do with this.
I appreciate your consideration, thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------
 
 
Colonel Roy Mustang sat in front of Al and Ed grinning.
 
Ed started to groan, he knew that he was going to put up with the Colonel's sarcastic and annoying remarks. The office was quiet; the only sound came from outside where the State Military soldiers were preparing to move out.
 
“What the hell do you want from us this time?” spat Ed. Al looked at Ed worried and scared at the same time; he didn't want to put up with any of this.
 
Roy sighed and started to relax. “I have a new assignment for you, there have been reports of a mysterious disturbance south of Central, head there and investigate it” told the cocky colonel.
 
The bright sun glared on Ed's face as he went out, Al's metallic exoskeleton seemed unharmed by the rays. “Man, I hate that guy!” Ed exclaimed.
 
“Calm down Ed, its not as if he's trying to make you feel small” said Al.
 
Ed stopped in his tracks, his face became angrier. He turned around and yelled “WHO THE HELL ARE YOU CALLING SMALL!”. Al jolted back, giving out a chuckle as steam puffed from Ed's nose.
 
“Never mind, let's go” said Ed as he calmed down and continued to walk.
 
In the station, the brothers waited tentatively for their train to arrive. “Al, have you wondered what happens if there was no Alchemy at all?” asked Ed.
Al replied “I don't know, maybe we might not be the people we are today”.
 
The train blew its horns as it slowly reached the station, Ed and Al stood up and got into the train.
 
Al looked through the window and daydreamed. Ed thought to himself; I wonder what's in store for us in this time...
 
Al clanked himself through the thick forest as Ed was pondering. Suddenly, in the distance they a heard a car driving towards them. It was no doubt it had been sent by the State Military.
 
“What are they doing here?” exclaimed Al.
 
The car stopped near them, the window rolled down and a soldier poked his head out.
Ed asked “What's going on!?”.
 
The soldier replied “We had a battalion down a kilometre from here to investigate a ruin, they lost contact with us and we are here to see what happened we were also sent by Lieutenant Hawkeye sir'. Ed grinned.
 
“We're heading there too, can we hitch a ride?” said Ed.
“Get in sir, we need to go quickly!”. The car dashed off.
 
 
 
The ruins were covered with craters of ash and bodies littered the scene. Ed gasped and gritted his teeth.
 
Al screamed, the soldiers examined the bodies and started to look around.
“How did they die?” Ed asked himself.
 
He flipped over a body and found a strange burnt scar on the lower torso.
“These are not bullet wounds, neither are they done by blades” a soldier mentioned.
 
“Hey! I found something!” yelled Al. As everybody rushed to him they found themselves in front of a glowing ball of light. Ed's eyes widened because this was like nothing he had ever seen before.
 
Everybody froze in awe; Al stepped towards it and touched it. Ed swore as he saw his little brother was sucked into the abstract phenomena. He jumped into it trying to find him but was helplessly consumed as well.
 
The brothers woke up finding themselves in a lush green field overlooking a lake. Ed looked up and was shaken. “What's wrong brother?” Al asked.
 
He looked up and was shocked to find themselves on an oddly shaped ring world.
 
“Well, next time I should have asked for another task” Ed said.
 
“Yeah!” Al said, scared he turned around and saw no sign of the portal.
 
Ed heard a swooping sound behind him. He turned around and found two purple metallic birds flying in the sky, as they both approached him he knew this wouldn't be good.
 
Al screamed as they fired white balls of energy towards the brothers.
 
Ed spawned a concrete wall using alchemy, he heard strange gushing sounds as the particles impacted on the wall. Al peeked from the wall only to find two burnt craters.
 
Suddenly, they were hit by a green ball of light. The wall broke and Ed was forced back onto the ground.
 
He looked to the left and in horror saw Al lying on the ground with a gouging hole on his metallic belly.
 
Ed was enraged and changed his hand to become a blade. One of the flying purple menaces turned to strafe again. Ed jumped and sliced the machine in two.
 
The two pieces exploded as the other menace turned around. Ed ran to all to shield him as the fighter moved in to intercept him. It spontaneously exploded in the air.
 
The wreckage fell onto the ground.
Ed was scared and confused. He did not know what was going on in this strange parallel world. Something fell next to him. A body of some sort.
 
He examined it, he stepped back in horror. The alien's body was in blue clad armour, it was big and seemed to have a mouth which resembled a squid and never did he see such thing even more terrifying than the chimeras.
 
Al twitched; Ed instantly switched his attention to his brother.
 
Ed kneeled next to Al, tears trickling down his cheeks. “Brother, how am I doing?” Al weakly asked.
 
Ed whispered “You're going to be fine, just-”, he was interrupted as the flying vehicle swooped down and begun another strafe.
 
He summoned another concrete wall and blocked the incoming fire.
 
Ed breathed heavily, he knew that he was up against something dangerous.
 
Suddenly behind him he heard somebody shouting “Fire!”.
A rocket zoomed passed him and ended the menace's brutal actions.
 
He looked back and saw a squad of seven people covered with green plates of armour. They had weapons which looked much more advanced than in his world.
 
“Marines! Form up, don't lose your cool”, the one wearing a cap said.
One of them looked at Ed and widened his eyes.
 
“Hey kid! What the hell are you doing here!?” the man said, the rest of the squad also quickly focused their attention on him.
 
Ed was relieved that the `Marines' were human too, not only that but spoke the same language.
 
He braced himself, since he did not know if they are friendlies or hostiles.
 
“Are you with the State Military!?” he demanded. The men looked at each other and laughed. “Mate, were not just a State military were the Planetary military!” one of them answered.
 
“Planetary military?” Ed asked, “Hell yeah! Haven't you heard about the UNSC or the Covenant?” the capped Marine told.
 
Ed was shocked and amazed as the Marines cordially approached him.
 
“Anyway, I'm Sergeant Lewis nice to meet you”, “Uh, yeah” Ed answered confused.
 
“I need to ask you a question, how the hell did you get here?” Lewis frowned.
“Uh, look” Ed grumbled. “I need to know what the hell is going on, why am I here and who the hell are you guys!?” he yelled.
Lewis drew himself backwards and started to speak “Kid, we are the UNSC Marines”
“The UNSC stands for the United Nations Space Command, we are soldiers who are working for this organization”, Ed nodded.
 
“We are fighting the Covenant they are an Alien species bent on destroying humanity” Lewis explained, Ed was not getting much of this but he generally knew that he needed to help the UNSC.
 
“As for you, do not joke around that you know nothing about this war!” exclaimed Lewis. Ed looked away, he rubbed his forehead with his hand and sighed.
 
The sergeant was mad, not only was Ed a civilian he was violating key rules of the UNSC. Lewis thought he sneaked in into the Amber Clad without authorization.
 
“You need to come with us then, you'll be safer” said Lewis.
 
“Thanks” Ed sighed.
A marine screamed when he saw Al's disfigured metallic body twitching weakly.
 
Lewis turned to the marine and yelled “Get a medic for this guy!”
One of the marines with the Red Cross symbol on his armour kneeled near Al and gasped.
 
“What is it?” Lewis asked.
“Sir! There is no one inside this armour!” shouted the medic.
 
Sergeant Lewis was frightened and turned to Ed and spat “Who are you people?”.
 
“I'll explain later! I need to get my brother to a safe place!” Ed screamed.
 
“But it's just a suit of armour!” argued Lewis.
“Please, Ed don't worry…” said Al. The medic jolted back and shouted “IT SPOKE!”.
 
Lewis turned once again to Ed and started trembling. “Fine, Susilo! McKiever! Fisher! Hyslop! Carry that thing!” he ordered.
 
The marines hesitated. They lifted Al up and started to carry him.
 
“I can't explain how grateful I am” thanked Ed.
“You got lots of explaining to do, let's go” Lewis reloaded his Battle Rifle and they all moved out.
 
“CONTACT!”
 
A green orb shattered the squad apart and struck near Ed. He was knocked to his back, the last thing he saw before he passed out was the marines struggling and fighting against the Alien menace.