Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Dreaming of a Rainy Day ❯ Chapter 5:Riza's Judgement ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sorceress-Hello nice to see ya and thank you for all the reviews

Ed-I think that was actually the first time you actually thanked someone for reviewing

Sorceress-You know I think your right

Ed-That’s just sad

Sorceress-No kidding enjoy the next chapter it’s the present just like the first one and a little of the second one.

Riza-Why are you so cheerful?

Sorceress-SNOW DAY!NO SCHOOL! Well that was Monday and I have writers block so don’t be surprised if I don’t update in a couple weeks it may take me a couple days to get over it so be nice.

Muse-Hurry and nag at her all ya want it’s so much fun

Ed-get that Muse -CRASH-

Muse-heheehe she ain’t getting any help from me for a while

Riza-Maybe not

Sorceress-I also have finals to get ready for but when summer vacation comes I will update when ever you want as long as I get at the very least three reviews.

Riza-What’s it with you and three?

Chapter 5: Riza’s Judgment

--Hughes‘ Funeral--

When Edward stepped into the office it was very quiet, maybe even a little too quiet, but why shouldn’t it be after all it was Brigadier General Hughes’ funeral today everyone was going to go to the graveyard after they finished what they were doing, he still couldn’t get that imprint of Alicia out of his mind she didn’t break down like Gracia did but she almost did very similar to her as well.

He shakes his head trying to rid him of his thoughts for the morning, everyone was getting ready, dressed in black not talking to anyone more then they had to, it was rather depressing and what was even more depressing was Al couldn’t make it to the funeral with out drawing suspicion to themselves by the council.

“Hello Full Metal, I wouldn‘t go in there,” she stops for a moment thinking how to work this “he needs some space.” he heard from his right and who else would it be then Riza Hawkeye.

He sighs in defeat turning her a sad smile “I suppose your right.”

She gives him one of her own and continues on with her work for a little while more. He steps away from the door and leaves for a little while to go get ready himself. It was beginning to rain and he couldn’t help it when a lone tear slides down his cheek he wouldn‘t allow himself to cry, he had stopped feeling a while back, but when he met Hughes he reminded him you have to feel to be human. I suppose you could say he was a father Ed never had and Hughes treated him as such.

He had a secret that he never told his brother about that night when they brought back their mother and he never told anyone until that day he broke down and told everything to Hughes he was absolutely shocked and further more honored to have been the one told, Ed refused to tell anyone after that no matter how much begging Hughes did, he was afraid, afraid that they would think he was weak or worse a murderer but Hughes said they wouldn’t it wasn’t human so how could it be murder? But he wasn’t so sure Al would say the same thing.

He sighs and trudges all the way back to the dorms in the pouring rain to the grave yard where everything will take place. He follows in the Coffin with Military men dressed in black walking forward to the gravesite.

He finally gets there and sees all Hughes’ friends and family, they all give him a friendly greeting but he goes past them and to Gracia and Alicia with her puppy, which she named Spot, finally and gives them both a hug.

“I’m just glad you didn’t die as well.” she says quietly as tears slide unconsciously down her cheeks she lets go and sits down and hugs Alicia as she watches sadly on, she didn’t know quite what was going on only that her Daddy was going away and she wouldn’t see him for a really long time, but he could see her.

The Cemetery was relatively silent except for the beating rain but even that was distant as they watch Hughes being slowly lowered into the ground. Gracia really couldn’t stand it so she took off to her car, the Priest continued until he was fully in the ground and everyone started to leave.

Roy was the only one standing there, Edward behind him covering Alicia so she wouldn’t get sick because she was mighty cold.

Edward comes up to him slowly and cautiously “Is he in a good place?” Roy speaks softly into the wind as he stares down at his fallen friend for a few more minutes “I mean you must of seen what was on the other side.”

“I’m sure he is,” he closes his eyes and thinks for a moment “there was a gate and a bright light that’s all I can really can remember.” He says softly looking down at Alicia as she snuggles into her Nii-san more.

He nods in acceptance “Thank you,” he says softly as he turns and begins to walk forward not meeting his eyes but you could tell he was crying “Lets take Gracia and Alicia home.”

He nods but turns back to the grave and the tent where everyone had stayed to get out of the rain “Goodbye Hughes we will all miss you dearly,” he turns to the tent “Spot.” he comes running to get out of the rain and something else as they leave they don‘t notice a figure sitting on the grave stone watching them sadly as they drive back ‘I‘m sorry I couldn‘t stay’ the wind seemed to whisper to the retreating car not looking back, except Ed knew he was there another thing he never told anyone.

--The Present (The first chapter everyone)--

‘Everyone has gotten better since then’ Ed thinks to himself, he had gotten to the Library a very long time ago and still didn‘t get very far, Riza‘s testimony should of went through by now, he scowls, glaring menacingly down at the book, frustrated and anxious all at once, he was pushing his end of the chair back making it stand on two legs and then back to four, the process continued in an unending circle, he was reading up on the Philosophers stone in Marco’s notes, but wasn’t getting anywhere, he just couldn’t stand it! “Huh?” he exclaims in surprise, he pushed the chair back on two legs with to much force and lost his balance “Oomph.” unfortunately, he landed on his back knocking the wind out of him.

He blinks twice looking up at the ceiling, surprised and shocked he did that to himself as Reiko comes up to him slowly tilting her head in confusion and whining slightly, he smiles up at her and scratches her ear “No one saw that did they?” he says standing up, but that was a big mistake, because a certain Colonel was there as well, he came in when he was on the ground and didn‘t notice him, until now that is, Ed stands up and notices him smirking widely trying to contain his mirth but failing miserably.

“So is it customary for you to study on the ground like a dog, I know you have one and are the dog of the military, but do you take it literally?” he asks smirking his usual smirk he really didn’t like dogs that much, especially not that dog since Ed brought it in, it has been after him from day one and it didn‘t help that it didn‘t like anyone but Ed, it had chased him up a wall for yelling, and many other things that he would rather not get into detail with, his men didn‘t let him forget Spot the demon dog for weeks some still make fun of him for it.

Ed smirks at him “No I don’t, but Spot might.”

Roy laughs nervously as he looks around uncomfortably “Right, anyway what are you doing here?”

“I’m researching.” Ed says in a tone a voice that says ‘duh’, he sits back down and begins to read a passage through, but gives up as his curiosity wins out “How did the testimony go?” he asks in defeat.

He shrugs and walks over to the rule section for the military “Not to good,” he says as he continues searching “I’m trying to find something that won’t get Riza fired she really loves the military.” he says skimming through the titles until he finds the right one and goes to sit down at the other table in the library.

Ed blinks a couple times and thinks “I might have an answer for that one.” Roy looks up at him shocked as Ed gets up and pulls down a book at the oldest records of the military.

Roy raises an eyebrow at him uncertainly “The Ruling of an Alchemist?” he asks skeptically as Ed nods grinning widely.

---------------------------------------------

--Five hours later Outside the Court Room at Central--

Havoc eyes her for a moment, and opens his mouth but nothing comes out, he thinks for a moment and watches Riza pace a few more minutes until he gives up “So how old are you really and why didn’t you tell any one you know Alchemy?” he asks clearly confused.

She sighs in defeat “I had no where else to go my parents were killed by an Alchemist after the Ishbal war so I lied about my age to get into the military as soon as it was possible,” She looks up at them and she sighs again seeing they aren’t going to give up on the age thing “I’m only three years older then Ed.”

“So you were there since you were twelve.” he asks confusedly as she nods “Why?”

She sighs and begins to pace again “I didn’t know if I would be taken seriously so I said I was older then I was and I didn’t know Alchemy because I didn’t want to kill anyone with my abilities.”

“Ohhhh,” They both say finally getting it.

Havoc glances at her “So what information were you with holding?” he says slyly but backs off quickly as she glares menacingly at him “Just asking.”

Maria Ross comes over and they greet her as she offers Riza an encouraging smile “Don’t worry you won’t get kicked off the force.”

Havoc laughs at this “Yeah right, I heard they were total bastards when it comes to Alchemists” he says lighting up a cigarette.

“Perfect,” Riza says glaring at him “anything else encouraging?” they shake their heads.

The guards come up to them “Riza Hawkeye.” she sighs and nods bowing her head afraid at what she may find she walks in with the other three trailing behind.

“Riza Hawkeye.” she looks up and sees Ed and Roy standing side by side both smirking handsomely as the council glares at them but one. “Your punishment is not in our hands since Roy Mustang has become the new General he will decide, but you will not be promoted to Colonel but to a National Alchemist.” she winces at his harsh tone but stays strong.

She nods she knew she would be one of the Alchemists once they found out “We have came up with a rule for all Alchemists must have a license for their Alchemic abilities all over Amestris.” he says slamming the book down “and everyone who joins the military shall be checked out and then admitted.”

“You are lucky there is a law against kicking you out of the military.” One of the judges say coming up to her and handing her a Alchemist watch and a card.

“Case dismissed.” the other one says as everyone breaks out into talking to one another.

She sighs in relief then looks down to her watch and groans as Ross comes up to her and smiles, hugging her “I told you, you had nothing to worry about.”

“Of coarse she didn’t,” Havoc snorts “then again when you have the Full Metal shrimp on your side your lucky he is or you would be running for your life.” he says smirking as a book crashes into the side of his head knocking him unconscious.

Roy watches as Ed stalks off fuming about something, Roy smirks down at Havoc “You know your right he is rather scary so I would suggest not making him mad until your used to it.”

Riza roles her eyes “Like you?”

Roy smirks even more “Exactly,” he turns and heads for the door but not before hearing “Now to get the new uniforms for the women, Miniskirts galore.”

They all sigh “Now that your not going to be Colonel I have a feeling that thing is going to pass.” Ross says with a look of dismay on her face.

Havoc smirks “Oh well at least Riza doesn’t have to worry about it.”

Riza looks up at him confused “Huh?”

“You can wear what ever you want I mean Ed does it.” Fuery says.

She looks down and then up at them surprised “I guess your right, remind me again why I didn’t want to be a National Alchemist.”

They all shrug uncertainly “Well look at it this way you get a partner.”

“A partner?” She asks surprised as they begin to walk back towards the office.

Fuery nods and takes out a book, reading it to them out loud “National Alchemist is just like a State Alchemist but has more power and sometimes a partner.”

Havoc snickers a little bit and pats her on the back rather roughly “You’ll probably get a partner because you didn’t tell the truth to the Military.”

She sighs in defeat and looks at them all “So who got all promoted?”

Havoc smirks “I’m Colonel.”

“I’m first Lieutenant.” Fuery says saluting.

“None of us on Major Armstrong’s division was promoted.” Ross says disappointedly.

Havoc turns to her “Edward was promoted to National Alchemist as well Roy said something about keeping an eye on him but Ed just rolled his eyes and said it was a waste of time.” Havoc snaps a bit more then he intended to but he got the point across.

They all back away from as Fuery comes up to them “Don’t mind him he’s just angry that the council gave Ed a chance of becoming Brigadier General.”

“And he didn’t take it?” Riza asks in disbelief.

Ross shakes her head “Of coarse not,” she says as she they enter the office building “he might of if he didn’t have to look for the Philosopher stone, you all know how determined he is about it.” They all nod hurriedly as they go in expecting Edward to throw something at them.

“But it’s always open for him to change his mind.” Fuery says as an after thought.

---------------------------------------------------------

--The next day--

Riza’s current source of grief was he new mission today, she is waiting outside Fuher Mustangs office and was having a nervous break down thinking maybe she wasn’t good enough to do it “You can come in now Riza.” Havoc says smiling widely.

She nods, giving him a suspicious looks, and walks forward into the office to see a smug looking Ed and a pissed off looking Roy, she still wasn’t sure about anything between them so she ignored him slightly “Sir?”

“Oh don’t mind the Not-so-Colonel.” he says smirking over at him as Roy scowls back

“Oh yes please don’t,” he says as he mumbles “none of my staff do.”

She bites back a laugh at them both by clearing her throat, darting her eye from place to place she really didn’t want to meet Edward’s eyes incase he was uncomfortable with the day she caught him out in the park “What is it am I going to be doing?”

He sighs in defeat “For starters we need to find you a partner and then maybe a miniskirt.” Ed roles his eyes as Roy continues “Then I can brief you both on your mission.”

They were about to go on when Fuery and Havoc burst in, Fuery was trying to pull him back through the door as Havoc smirks “A quick suggestion Fuher,” he says smirking as they give him a suspicious look “why don’t you give the job to Ed?”

“WHAT!” Ed and Riza yell at the exact same time.

Roy thinks for a moment “You know that isn’t a bad idea.” they look at him as if he has lost his mind as Havoc smirks at them “I won’t have to worry about giving you a wrong partner and it would be less damage if you kept Full Metal in line.”

Havoc smirks as they all glare at him “It would be the plan of action.” he says in a singsong voice.

Roy nods in conformation “Alright you will go on your first mission and you are not allowed to help her unless it becomes dire understand,” he asks with an unspoken threat hanging in the air.

Ed glares at them both but nods “Hai.”

Roy smirks back at him signing a paper over to them “Good,” he stops striating paper and looks at Riza seriously “Good luck to you Riza, you will get your Alchemist name when you go on this mission so make it count.”

“Why not Quick draw?” Havoc says smirking as he snickers slightly.

She smiles at them sweetly and shoots three holes around his head sounding like a single shot “Ha ha ha very funny,” Havoc backs away and out of the office as she turns to him “when do we leave?”

“In an hour and try to contain the damage report Full Metal.” he says as he give him a smirk before they head out.

Edward smirks back sinisterly “Of coarse.” they both head out as Roy contemplates what he just did.

--To Be Continued--

Sorceress-What cha think I’ll be nice from now on no one else dies.

Riza-Imagine that

Muse-He he ehehe Oomph

Ed-I think you need a new Muse

Sorceress-So do I, I think it’s broken

Riza-You never know

Al-See ya next time

Sorceress-And I'll try to update as soon as possible but I can't garauntee anything since I'm getting ready for finals and projects.