Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivalent Exchange ❯ The Gate ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Alright, all, sorry for this, but I’m changing a few details to match up with the movie. It won’t change the storyline at all, but it WILL contain spoilers for COS.

To those who asked about it, Alphons’s family was never addressed in the movie. The five blond men seen with him are simply his colleagues of rocketry. Thus, I am using my own interpretation and assuming that he has no family.

Speaking of Alphons, I see that I’ve kind of spliced together his and Noa’s personalites, and I hope that you can forgive me, but I’m not changing it. I like this Alphons better; he’s more inquisitive and less of as ass. I’m also going to continue using the Americanized spelling of his name (sorry!) because that is how it’s spelled here in the States.

Anyway, here’s the revamped version.

Disclaimer: Sugarpony does not own Fullmetal Alchemist.

---

Equivalent Exchange


Chapter One


The Gate


---

It was a cold day in Munich, Germany. Anyone who had dared to venture outside was bundled from head to toe, with a hat on the head, gloves on the hands, a scarf wrapped around the face, snow boots on the feet, and a thick coat pulled tight across the body. Even this, however, was futile, for few people could afford more than ratty old clothes full of holes. On this day, however, two young men were oblivious to the weather as they walked briskly down the road, absorbed in conversation.

Edward Elric and Alphons Heiderich were on their way to the University of Munich. Ed had been quite reluctant to take his father’s invitation- reluctant to the point that it had taken his partner in research six months to convince him to accept it. There was, after all, a chance that Hohenheim had discovered a way to return his son to his home.

The first time Edward confessed his strange story to Alphons, the older (but shorter) man had been drinking away a nightmare. Al had been understandably skeptical about his words of another world full of copies of those he knew, inhuman creatures, and the strange science called alchemy, thinking that his friend was simply in a drunken stupor and imagining these things. As time grew on, however, he somehow found himself believing and becoming infatuated with Ed’s stories, wondering what else could be waiting for him on the other side of the Gate. When he had heard of Hohenheim’s offer to see his research at the University, he began to pester Ed into accepting it daily until he finally gave in to his begging.

Thus, the two were hurrying through the cold- Alphons out of anticipation, Edward out of hatred for the weather.

“What do you think Hërr Hohenheim will have to show us, Edward?”

Ed turned to face his companion, skepticism on his countenance. “Something to do with alchemy, no doubt,” he said. “He’s been trying to teach it to some people at the University. Hell if I know why, it won’t work in this world.”

Al frowned. “But it’s better than nothing, isn’t it?” he asked. “I mean, as scientists, it’s not necessary for me to tell you that no option should ever go unexplored.”

The shorter man snorted. “He’s been trying to get me down there ever since I came to Munich. That fool doesn’t realize that alchemy just won’t work on this side of the Gate. It all comes down to equivalent exchange: If one side of the Gate can use alchemy, the other can’t.”

They lapsed into silence. Alphons sighed. “I wish I could see the other side of the Gate,” he finally said. Ed turned to look at him again, but he had his face turned towards the sky. “Edward,” he then said suddenly, staring down into his face, “if you ever do find a way home, will you take me with you?”

Ed turned away. “I already told you no, Alphons,” he said harshly. “If there even is a way home, it’s a one way trip. There’s no coming back. I can’t let you make that sacrifice.”

“And I told you,” Al argued, “that I have nothing to sacrifice. I don’t have any family, and sooner or later the military is going to confiscate our research and probably kill us.”

No.”

Alphons pouted, frustrated. As much as he admired Edward’s brilliant mind, he was the most stubborn person he had ever met. Hopefully, though, he would eventually break on this matter like he had with visiting his father.

Seeing the University ahead of them, the two quickened their pace and jogged up the stone steps.

---

Alphonse Elric was deep in thought as he made his way through the underbrush. He had come to the island on which he and his brother had been abandoned for a full month, being forced to life off of the land and fight for their lives. He had explored Amestris for an entire year, looking for his brother, before finally coming to study with his teacher again until she had passed away a year and a half ago. Even after his teacher’s death, however, he remained in Dublith, hoping to find something in her research that could help him.

He knew that his brother would do anything he could to find him and would never leave him alone this long unless he had no choice. Edward had not come home to Rizenbool, nor had he contacted anyone. This had led Alphonse to the conclusion that Ed was in trouble. Big trouble. Trouble that Al could not handle on his own. Therefore, he had decided to learn as much alchemy as he could before taking the State Alchemist entrance exams.

Winry, of course, had no idea of his plans, and neither did Rose.

Al had heard the stories of his brother. Yes, he new of the Fullmetal Alchemist, Hero of the People, youngest State Alchemist in the history of Amestris. When he first visited Central, he was introduced to people who knew apparently already knew him. It had been very awkward- especially when they had mistaken him for Edward.

The younger Elric had donned the Fullmetal’s trademark black clothes and red coat, and he had even grown out his hair and pulled it back into a long ponytail. Even though he had brown hair and green eyes as opposed to Ed’s blond hair and amber eyes, people still mistook Alphonse for his older brother.

All of this was on his mind as Al trudged through the dense growth on the island. He was so consumed in his thoughts, however, that he failed to notice the giant stone platform until he had tripped over it, landing face first on the ground.

Groaning, the thirteen year old boy pushed himself up, rubbing his nose. When he looked down, however, he was extremely surprised.

“What on earth is a transmutation circle doing all the way out here?”

He ran his hands over the intricately carved stone, wondering what kind of alchemy the circle was for. It was unlike anything he had ever seen- he hadn’t come across it in his research, and Izumi had never mentioned it to him.

Quite suddenly, he remembered seeing it.

A baby, crying.

A young woman with an evil face.

A looming black gate.

Edward.

Alphonse gasped, breathing heavily. That was the first thing he had remembered since the incident three years ago. He knew what to do.

He pulled a small red stone out of his pocket. General Mustang had given it to him upon his last visit to Central, pulling him aside and telling him to keep it safe and that he would know what it was for when the time was right.

That time was now.

Al placed the stone in the center of the stone platform and then laid his hands upon the transmutation circle.

---

Hohenheim ushered his guests into the basement silently, saving greetings for later. He had urged them to be quiet until they were alone, for there were Nazi spies everywhere. It would do no good at all for Hërr Hitler to learn of their alchemic attempts.

Finally, after triple checking the locks on the door, Hohenheim guided Edward and Alphons to a large stone platform in the middle of the room.

Ed took one glance at the transmutation circle before he began his assault. “What the hell were you thinking, old man?!” he demanded, pulling him down to eye level with one arm. “Why the hell would you show other people the circle to summon the Gate?! Do you have any idea what could happen if it actually worked?! Damn it, I won’t let you risk the Nazis finding their way to Amestris!”

Alphons turned toward his partner, excitement on his face. “Edward, do you mean to say that this circle could take you home?”

The short young man released his father, looking into the face that reminded him so much of his younger brother. He sighed, calming himself, before answering.

“This circle,” he began, speaking slowly, “will summon the Gate when it is activated. A best case scenario would be that, because this world isn’t based on equivalent exchange, I would be able to cross to the other side of the Gate without a sacrifice.”

Al frowned, not understanding the problem. “Then wouldn’t it be worth it to investigate?” he asked, confused.

Hohenheim then took over for his son. “The problem is that the Gate is unpredictable. It may take something from Edward, if it lets him cross at all. It might kill him, or it might trap him within the Gate. Either way, once he is at the Gate, there’s no turning back.”

And,” Edward bit out, throwing a spiteful look at Hohenheim, “if the Nazis find out that it works, imagine what would happen. They’re already trying to conquer this world. I won’t let them take control of mine. That’s why I keep telling you to destroy our research if I ever get home.”

The younger boy turned his gaze towards the stone floor, finally understanding the gravity of the situation. “Oh,” he said. “I suppose it would be best to destroy it, then.”

Ed sighed. He walked over to his friend, placing a hand on his shoulder. “Alphons,” he said gently, “if alchemy worked here, I would take that chance in a second. I know that I can trust you to destroy the array. I just don’t like the idea of other people knowing about it. Now, even if we destroy it, they can still replicate it.” He then forced a small smile. “But it wouldn’t do any harm to take a closer look now that we’re here.”

Somewhat rejuvenated, Al put his worries aside as a bright smile broke out on his face. He rushed over to the stone platform, kneeling on top of it, hoping to discover its secrets.

Hohenheim walked to his son as they both watched the energetic young man. “He’s not your brother, Edward,” he said.

“I know,” he simply replied as he, too, headed towards the array.

Hohenheim stood still for several moments before joining the duo. “It’s just too easy to forget, Edward. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Ed and his father stood on top of the circle as Alphons ran his hands over the etched lines. Ed kneeled, following his friend’s example. “How did this even get here in the first place?” Al wondered.

“That’s something I’d like to know.”

The pair turned around, facing the elder. Edward narrowed his eyes, suspicion forming in his thoughts. “What do you mean, old man?” he asked. “Didn’t you make this array?”

Hohenheim stared down at his son for a moment. “No,” he said. “The University offered me a position here, and I accepted,” he elaborated. “I came down to get some supplies one day, and I found this.”

“Shit!” Ed quickly stood, worry in his eyes. “How the hell-”

His question was interrupted, though, when a bright red light began to emanate from the circle. Al stood nervously. “Wh-what’s going on?” he asked fearfully.

“Shit!”

“The array has been activated!” Hohenheim shouted over Edward’s swearing. “We’ve been caught in the transmutation!”

Then, quite suddenly, the room vanished, and they were all in darkness.

---

Alphons groaned, picking himself up off of the ground. He looked around, trying to gather his bearings. He was with Edward and his father, and they were all standing in front of a tall, looming black gate in what seemed to be an endless abyss. Then, a loud, booming voice seemed to fill the entire area.

“You have returned once again, Edward Elric,” it said. “I grow weary of seeing you.”

Ed snorted, very bravely by Al’s standards. “Yeah,” he threw back at the voice, “well it looks like we finally agree on something!”

The voice then spoke again. “Hohenheim Elric,” it said, “I have seen you more times than your foolish son.” It took on a sinister tone. “I look forward to this.

“And Alphons Heiderich.” The last man started, becoming nervous at the fact that this thing appeared to know him. “Now what could you want from me?

“You have all come here for the same reason. There is sacrifice for one of you to pass through unharmed and unchanged... The others, however, must present their sacrifices...”

“Damn it all.” Alphons turned to look at Edward, who was staring at his feet, downcast. “So I finally get here and I can’t even leave?” He let out a bitter laugh. “This is just too damn ironic.”

“But Edward,” Al said, rushing over to him, “Yes, you can! That- that voice just said that one of us could go through, so go!”

“Don’t be stupid, Al!” Ed snapped his head up to yell at him. “I already told you, I’m not going to let you sacrifice everything!”

“I’ll stay here.”

The two stopped fighting, looking towards Hohenheim at his words. “What the hell do you think you’re doing, old man?”

“Interesting...” The strange voice spoke again. “Hohenheim of Light, who has been evading me for centuries, to be trapped within for all eternity? Continue...”

“I’ll stay here,” he said, determination on his face, “as long as both Edward and Alphons will be able to cross the Gate and return to Amestris unharmed and unchanged.”

“You coward!” Ed ran at his father and punched him hard in the face. “Just giving up? What kind of man are you?”

The elder stared down at his son. “Edward,” he spoke calmly. His eyes were full of emotion. “You are her son. I will not allow for you to be taken.” He then pulled up a sleeve of his coat, showing rotting flesh. “Even if I wanted to, I’m in no condition to cross the Gate. I know that you would never leave an Alphons from either side of the Gate. This way, I at least know that you’re safe.”

“No way in hell!”

“It has been decided.” The three men stopped as the voice spoke out once more. “Edward Elric and Alphons Heiderich will both pass through to the other side, and Hohenheim Elric and the Philosopher’s Stone will be sacrificed in payment.”

“The Philosopher’s Stone?! How the hell did that thing get created again?!”

Ever so slowly, the large black gate opened to reveal creatures- staring eyes- grasping hands- and then, once again, darkness.

---

AN: Well, that’s the revised Chapter One. As I’ve said, there weren’t any important changes, simply a few details to keep it in sync with the movie.

My theory about Izumi’s circle: Izumi first used it to perform human transmutation and create Wrath. In order to give him back to the Gate, however, the circle must have been changed to the one needed to summon the Gate. This also explains how Wrath later escaped.

Anyway, I’m off to start Chapter Two!

Happy holidays!

-Sugarpony