Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong ❯ Chapter Six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Equivalent Trade: When Alchemy Goes Terribly Wrong

By Phoenix Hoshika

Chapter Six



It was a few weeks before Alphonse’s wounds had scabbed over and he was allowed to move about more freely. For the past few days Alphonse had busied himself helping Susan with her chores. Besides wanting to be helpful Alphonse was feeling rather antsy. He had had his body back for nearly a month and hadn't really been able to use it. Cleaning up the table after lunch he thought he heard movement on top of the house. Putting the last of the dishes away he went outside to see if something was indeed crawling around on the roof.



Susan was outside jumping rope since Alphonse had done nearly all of her chores for her. When jumping rope no longer appealed to her interest she found herself aimlessly wondering across the fields to the forest's edge. Realizing where she was she sweat dropped as she remembered her grandfather's warning about not going into forest without a grown up. Hearing something rustling in the trees Susan took off back toward her home. While she wasn't afraid of the forest she was most definitely afraid of the things in it, her greatest fear was being mauled to death by a badger or some other animal within the forest's depths.

It didn't take her long to make her way across the fields and back home. Standing hunched over, hands on knees Susan panted heavily trying to catch he breath. Hearing a soft purring Susan stood up straight still heavily breathing to see where the sound could have come from. Hearing it again she looked up to see a cat sitting on the roof. "Oh, no it must be stuck." Susan thought walking over to a support beam and scaling up it onto the roof. Carefully she crawled over to where the cat was and it moved away from her, just out of arms' reach.

"Don't be afraid. Come here." Susan called sweetly to the creature and for amount it seemed as if it understood and believed what she was saying for it did not budge another inch. Continuing to move carefully toward the animal Susan reached out for the cat only for it run from her again. This time it ran and jumped straight off of the roof land perfectly onto the ground.

Alphonse was just inside the front door when he saw a cat come flying off of the roof onto the ground then run off into the distance.

"Stupid cat," Susan grumbled moving to come down off of the roof herself, but her foot slipped causing her to loose balance and down she came. Keeping her eyes clenched shut Susan had expected to hit the ground but when she felt a pair of arms encase her body instead of colliding with the ground she opened them puzzled.

"Are you alright, Susan?" Alphonse asked. He had caught her but ended up falling backwards onto the ground; the roof was higher than it looked and Susan had come down rather hard on Alphonse causing him to end up on his backside when he caught her. At first Susan had assumed it was her grandfather who had caught her but when she opened her eyes and heard the voice of the one responsible for saving her from a nasty fall her body stiffened.

"What's going on," Edward yelled as he came running out of the fields to his brother's side. He was hauling a wagon full of cabbage this time and was only a short distance from the house when he looked up and saw Susan falling from the top of the doctor's home, Alphonse successfully catching her, but still toppling over. "Hey, you alright," Edward asked Susan who was just staring off into space. Had she fainted with her eyes open? "I think she passed out." Edward said after waving a hand in front of the girl's face.

"Susan?" Alphonse called giving her body a gentle shake. "Are you okay?" He asked a little more concerned.

Blinking Susan came out of her trance. "I'm fine." She answered meekly.

"Thank goodness." Alphonse said sighing bringing his head down so that they were cheek to cheek as he gently hugged her.

Susan inhaled deeply, her heart racing. Hearing a popping sound in her head she broke free of the embrace running a few feet away from Edward and Alphonse and quickly bringing her left hand to her nose as the red, warm fluid flowed from it. "I'm fine, thank you." Susan said then ran into the house.

Edward let out a heavy sigh. "Boy that girl is weird." He mumbled.

"You think she is weird?" Alphonse questioned letting his eyes settle heavily on his brother. In all their travels the two had encountered many strange things and as far as Alphonse was concerned Edward was among them.

"Hm, now where did I leave that cart?" Edward said standing up and looking around. "Let me do it, Brother." Alphonse said standing and dusting himself off. While the doctor was particular about Edward working in the fields he had nothing to say to Alphonse once the cuts in his feet had healed well enough to walk on without bleeding so much.

"Go find something else to do." Edward said taking off into the fields.

"Brother, wait." Alphonse protested chasing after him. The rest of the day Alphonse followed Edward around as they both helped with the farming. Every so often Alphonse would have to push Edward down so that the doctor didn't see him. It was obvious why the doctor was so against Edward working in the fields he was already on the small side and if he happened to pass out it would be difficult to locate him plus the added danger if someone was out there plowing, they might not see him laying on the ground. What would happen to Edward if such an event did occur Alphonse didn't even want to think about it.



Sitting on the front porch watch the sun set Edward was leaning back on the palms of his hands with head tilted upward. "Grief, I'm tired and hungry." He complained. Alphonse was exhausted too; he sat a few feet away with his back against a support beam, his head resting on his right knee.

"Brother…" Alphonse said.

"Yeah." Edward responded. Then silence fell again. There was no need for words. They new exactly what the other was thinking; it was time to move on.

Later that night Susan could hear the siblings talking to her grandfather. She had originally come out of her room that night to get a drink of water but instead found herself listening intently at the top of the stairs as the Elrics thanked Brawly for his help and informed him that they were leaving the next morning. Hearing this news caused tears to form in her eyes. When Edward finally came back to the room Susan was lying in her bed awake. "Big sis.," Susan called startling him. Edward had come into the room as quietly as he could, believing Susan to still be sleeping.

"Yeah?" Edward answered sitting down on the bed across from Susan's and pulling off his pants.

"Are you and Al leaving soon?" She asked concealing the sob in her voice.

"Yeah, we've given you and pops enough grief." Edward said lying down.

"You haven't caused us any grief." Susan said getting out of her bed and crawling into bed with Edward.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Edward asked becoming slightly panicked.

"Can I sleep with you?" Susan asked pulling her most adorable face, which might have had some sort of effect if the lights weren't out and Edward could see her.

"No." Edward answered flatly.

"Please, this is the last time I'm going to see you." Susan pleaded giving Edward a one armed hug.

"Fine." Edward huffed pulling the covers over the both of them. "Little brat." Edward thought as he stroked the top of her head once before falling asleep.



When Edward awoke the next morning he found himself in the bed alone. He had slept rather uncomfortably and had a bit of cramp in his neck. Squinting his eyes Edward rubbed his neck for a couple of minutes until the knot was gone. Making a sound somewhere between a sigh and a groan Edward put his cloths on and came out of the room. Drowsily he wondered into Alphonse's room. Susan was already there contently brushing his hair.

"Hey, Brother." Alphonse greeted.

"Hi, Ed." Susan's voice followed as she fastened Alphonse's hair into a dark blue hair tie.

"Oh, so this is where you ran off to." Edward said lowly as he leaned back on the table. He watched them through drooping eyes. Usually once awake Edward was rearing to go, but that morning he could barely keep his eyes open.

"Brother, are you ok?" Alphonse asked as Susan continued playing with his pony tail.

"Hmm, I'm going back to bed." Edward said not hearing a word Alphonse had spoken to him.

"Alphonse and Susan sweat dropped as Edward bumped into the half open door. Usually a bumble like that would have been followed by an eruption of yelling and profanity, but this time Edward just pushed the door further open and continued on walking ignoring the lump that was forming on his forehead.

"Don't worry," Susan said hopping off of the bed and standing in front of Alphonse. Once she eats something she'll be just fine. You aren't going to be leaving before you eat something right?" Susan asked a hopeful glitter in her eyes.

"No, Bro- I mean Edward still seems a little too out it of it to do any traveling just yet." Alphonse honestly answered.

"I'll make breakfast for everyone this morning." Susan said brightly.

"I'll help you then." Alphonse said standing.

"No, I can do it alone. I want to do it alone." Susan said correcting herself. "I promise it won't take long." She said heading off to the kitchen.

As soon as Susan started cooking it only took for the scent to reach Edward's nose to bring him back to consciousness. Sleepily coming down the stairs Edward looked around and only saw Alphonse sitting at the table. "Where's the old man?" Edward asked sitting across from him.

"He went out of town earlier on a few house calls. Susan says he won't be back until this afternoon." Alphonse informed.

"Oh," Edward said acknowledging his brother's words.

"It's done!" Susan called from the kitchen.

"About time!" Edward said perking up and going into kitchen.

"Hey, you just can't eat it from the pan!" Susan yelled.

"Like hell I can't!" Edward responded a moth full of food. Alphonse sweat dropped as he pulled Edward from the kitchen, though not before his older brother was able to get hold of a spoon a pot full of grits.

"Guess it's too much to ask for him to behave any longer." Alphonse thought as he and Susan watched him greedily devour whatever wasn't already on someone else's plate and even after that was gone his golden eyes settled hungrily on the contents of Alphonse's and Susan's plates.

"Now way, Brother," Alphonse said snatching the plate from the table protectively.

"You've had enough. You're going to get fat you know?" Susan said snatching hers away as well.

"Awe, hell, but I'm still hungry." Edward complained as he left the table then let out a monster burp. Alphonse's eyebrows narrowed.

"He better not." Alphonse thought as he watched Edward wonder into the living room, pull the edge of his shirt from inside his pants and collapse onto the sofa asleep with his stomach exposed. "I can't believe he just did that." Alphonse uttered exasperatedly.

"Which part?" Susan asked as equally disturbed by Edward's actions.

"All of it."

Susan nodded in agreement. "So, I guess that means you'll be staying a little while longer." Susan smiled.

"Hm, hmm." Alphonse nodded then went over to where Edward was laying and pulled his shirt down. "At least until Brother stops acting so scatter brained."



It was nearly noon when Edward finally woke up again. Rubbing his eyes he sat up. "Alphonse?" He said noticing someone was sitting next to him.

"Yes." His brother answered calmly even though he felt like yelling at him. "You know Susan almost slipped you heavy dose of laxatives while you were busy devouring everything insight." Alphonse informed.

"What!?" Edward exclaimed fully awake as he popped up into an upright position on the sofa.

"She honestly thought you had a tape worm or something." Alphonse continued in the same polite manner in which he always spoke. "I almost let her do it."

"You what!?" Edward exploded again. "Some brother you are." He pouted folding his arms and slumping back onto the couch.

"I almost thought you were some how Gluttony." Alphonse continued.

"Don't joke like that." Edward shuddered, memories of having been swallowed once by the homunculus still fresh in his mind.

"Still, despite eating everything else in sight you didn't even touch the pitcher of milk sitting right in the middle of the table." Alphonse said receiving a dirty look from Edward in return. "What's gotten into you Ed," He finally asked.

"I don't know." Edward answered. "Maybe I do have a tape worm." He said with a solemn tone.

"Should I call Susan?" Alphonse asked.

"NO!" Edward exploded. "It was a joke, get it? A joke." He said angrily then stood up and stretched. "We've dawdled around here long enough time to go." He said putting his hands on his hips and stretching backward a bit. The chain attached to the gold watch in his front pocket jingled slightly and Alphonse's eyes fell heavily on it. If Edward knew what his brother was thinking at that moment he was sure to have thrown a fit.



A few minutes later everyone, minus the doctor, stood on the front porch of the old wooden house bidding their farewells. Susan was on the verge of tears.

"Bye, squirt." Edward said giving the girl a sincere hug.

"Squirt? You're barely taller than I am!" Susan said choking back the tears just long enough to let the sarcastic comment pass through her lips.

Edward turned red with fury. Letting Susan go he stomped off the porch and a little ways down the dirt path that lead to the house to fume somewhat in private.

"Good bye, Susan." Alphonse said kneeling down and hugging her.

"Good bye, Alphonse." Susan replied hugging him back then quickly pulled away turning her back to him, her face a slight red. Hearing Alphonse's foot steps leave the porch she turned back around a determined look in her eyes. "Alphonse, wait!" She called desperately.

"What is it, Susan?" Alphonse asked turning around not even a step away from the house when she called to him. Susan!" He exclaimed wide eyed when the girl came flying off of the porch. He moved quickly enough to catch her, but he was actually the one who was caught.

"Al." Edward growled impatiently. "What's taking so-" Edward stopped mid sentence when he turned around and saw his brother apparently kissing a little girl. His eyes bulged and his mouth dropped nearly to the ground. Not wanting to take in the horrifying scene any longer he turned is back to them. "Al!" He called even louder and even more annoyed.

Hearing Edward's voice snapped Alphonse out of his shocked state of mind and back to reality. Carefully placing Susan on the ground Alphonse said good bye one last time almost sounding sad as he forced himself to keep a tight lid on the confused emotions that had suddenly swelled up inside of him. "Brother, wait for me!" Alphonse road called chasing after him after turning around to see Edward already making his way off the path to house and onto the main.

"Bye, Al! Don't forget me!" Susan yelled smiling waving as Alphonse ran off after his brother.

When Alphonse finally caught up to his Edward the two walked in silence, Edward giving his younger brother dirty glances out of the corner of his left eye. "You're awfully quiet." Edward commented finally breaking the silence, at the same time trying to make sure he didn't get to close to him. Though it had been a little while and they were little ways from the small farming town Edward could not shake the image of his brother kissing a ten year old girl from his mind. Alphonse didn't respond, as he continued to walk with head held low his face not visible due to the long bangs that hung in the way hiding it. "You okay?" Edward asked becoming a little concerned.

"I'm fine." Alphonse answered in an unconvincing tone as he trailed just a few steps behind Edward who had stopped walking and was now passing.

Edward reached out and grabbed Alphonse just below the shoulder and pulled him back to get a better look at his brother's face. Another horrified look flickered across Edward's features before he started yelling. "What the hell are you blushing for!?" Edward boomed startling a small flock of birds in the field nearby. Alphonse face was a burning red.

"It was my first kiss." Alphonse answered innocently turning his face from Edward as he brought his index finger and thumb to his lips. "To be honest I don't know how to feel."

"Ashamed, you should feel ashamed!" Edward yelled while pointing an accusing finger at his brother. "What the #$@% were you thinking kissing her! You're five years her senior, she's a little girl, you moron!"

"I didn't kiss her she kissed me!" Alphonse shot back.

"Yeah? Then can you explain why you were holding her?" Edward questioned continuing to give his brother a dirty stare.

"She shocked me." Alphonse admitted in a small voice. He really had blanked out when Susan kissed him.

"Is that so?" Edward said looking at his brother through lowered eye lids, a frown on his lips.

"Why don't you believe me?" Alphonse questioned quietly, his feeling obviously hurt. "Brother, you jerk!" Alphonse shouted punching Edward, sending his brother into a ferocious series of midair cartwheels before he finally hit the ground, as he took off running down the road in tears.



To be continued…



~*~*~*~



Author's note;



What's the deal with Susan?



"She's a little perv that what!" I think would be a reader's reaction or "She's a little fast tailed girl!" or something like that. But despite how things seem the truth is she isn't either, she just discovered the opposite sex at a rather young age and it's all Al's fault! LOL Before he came along she couldn't stand men; in other words boys were gross and annoying. Would she be mad crushing on Ed if he weren't a woman? Not likely. Why? Because I said so. Ha! ^_^ Besides, Edward is just not her type.