Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Equivilant Trade And All, Right? ❯ Equivilant Trade And All, Right? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Equivilant Trade and All, Right?
 
 
By Mija
 
 
Disclaimer~Dont own FMA or any of its charactors, warning this is a one-shot fic, I wrote after watching Episode 25, so if you havent watched up to that episode please be warned that there are spoilers. And this is my first FMA fic ever, Ive recently gotten obsessed with this anime and will be sad to have to loose both my internet access and cable in two weeks, so I wont know how it ends..sniffles..anyhow enough about my woes, heres my tribute to episode 25. Mija.
 
 
 
 
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" shouted Edward Elric, the FullMetal Alchemist, as he sat in his train cabin alone. Al and Winry had gone out to the dinning cart to eat, Ed hadnt been hungry so stayed behind.
 
"What the hell are you doing here?" Ed repeated in a much more softer, lower voice, that sounded close to holding back sobs.
 
"Im sorry if me being here is upsetting you Edward...that was not my intention." came the smooth fatherly voice across the seat from Ed's own. Ed looked at him and glared, hating the smile that graced that face, the sparkle in those eyes, the love he saw in them.
 
"How did you think it would affect me asshole?" Ed replied angerly, fighting back his emotions. He would not let the man bring him to tears, he wouldnt, he couldnt, cause he feared if he started to cry, he might not stop.
 
"Its not fair dammit...ITS NOT FAIR?!" Ed started soft then yelled at the end.
 
"Alot of things in life arent fair Ed...you of all people should know that by now." came his companions soft fatherly voice, filled with way too much concern.
 
"Why me? Why here? Why arent you home? with your wife and your kid?" Ed asked with narrowed eyes.
 
"Because they're fine...they dont need me right now..you do."
 
"LIKE HELL THEY DONT NEED YOU?!....I cant believe you'd say that...they love you." Ed responded, sucking in a deep breath. Not gonna cry dammint. He told himself over and over again in his head.
 
"I know they do and I love them...I made sure they knew how much I loved them everyday of our lives together...so I know they will be ok...it you and Al Im worried about Ed."
 
"WE'RE FINE!"
 
"Are you?"
 
"YESSS!"
 
"They why are you crying?" came the soothing voice, and Ed glared at him wiping his eyes, hating the man for making him cry. He hadnt cried since him mom had died. He hated him for making him cry now.
 
"I hate you..." came Ed's low choked answer. The man across him let out a hearty laugh, which only made Ed glare more.
 
"Oh Ed, Ed...you never could lie very well you know."
 
"Why are you doing this to me?..why?..I cant do this...I dont WANT to do this."
 
"Thats why Im here...you need to do this before I can leave...you know that...I care too much for you and Al to just leave you both without telling you how much I love you both."
 
"DONT!...please....please...dont." Ed sobbed, hiding his face in his palms as he cried into his white gloves. He didnt see his companion move but he felt him sit next to him as he pulled him into a fatherly hug. Ed resisted it and fisted his hands against his eyes and tried to pull away. The other refused to let him go, and finally Ed gave up, he couldnt do this, but he had to and he knew it. Didnt mean he had to like it though.
 
"Why?? Why?...It wasnt supposed to be you..it wasnt supposed to be you..you werent supposed to care about us...you werent supposed to force your way into our hearts you bastard...havent we've suffered enough already?" Ed stated in soft gentle sobs, still trying to hold onto his pride, but it was hard, so very hard.
 
"You know how I feel about you and Al, Ed...I would of done anything in my power to spare you boys any more suffering...any sort of pain."
 
"AND YOU DID!...you did..but your werent supposed to!...you werent supposed to...thats why we left dammit...its why me and Al lied and left...for you...for everyone else...we cared about." came Ed's heated but heartfelt, and painfilled voice.
 
"I know Ed..I know..but sometimes we cant always protect the ones we care about....take me for example? I never meant to cause so much pain or sadness..but it was unavoidable in the end..but I dont regret anything..my life was full...I just wish I could of done more..for you and Al...for Roy."
 
"You did enough dammit!...you did more than you were supposed to DO?!
 
"But in the end it wasnt enough was it?"
 
"I wont let them get away with this...I swear to you I wont...they will pay for what they did...I promise you that...I owe you that."
 
"Dont Ed...its not why Im here..you know that...I just came to tell you how I feel about you and Al....to say...well you know...and to ask you to do something for me."
 
"Do something for you?" Ed asked with tear stained eyes as he looked up at the man next to him. He would do anything for him. Anything..He owed him that..and more.
 
"I want you to take care of Al...of yourself...and I want you to help Roy too...he's not taking things very well and you know how he can get."
 
"Ya...I know."
 
"So will you do me that favor? Will you boys take care of yourselves for me? I dont want you to drive yourself so hard you forget to take care of yourself and your own needs..you and Al deserve some happiness in the world and I couldnt stand it to know you drove yourself to hard...because although you dont like to be told or reminded of it...you and Al??....your both still just kids...talented and brave kids, but still kids and kids should have joy in thier lives...not so much pain and sadness."
 
"But its soo hard...so hard to find it...when Al and I get close enough to somesort of happiness..something always happens to take it away..."
 
"Do you hate me Ed? Do you hate that I care for you and Al? That I butted my nose into your lives and did my best to make you feel like normal children?"
 
"No...no...I could never hate you for that...it...it was the closest thing me and Al had to a family in a long time...it...was...nice...."
 
"Then thats all that matters doesnt it Ed? To know I gave you and your brother even an ounce of joy and happiness then what ever else happened was worth it."
 
"HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?!!...it wasnt worth it?....we werent worth it." Ed yelled but choked on his sobs as he looked away from the man before him. It was to hard to look at him, to see that smile, those eyes, the glow of parental pride and love that still shone in his face..for Al...for him. It wasnt fair dammit!
 
"Of course you were..both you and Al are worth it and dont ever forget that mister..you hear me?...Now I have to go...Al and Winry will be back soon, but I cant leave till you say the words...."
 
"I dont wanna say em." came Ed's voice, lip pouting just a tad, and the man had to remind himself again how this boy was just that, a boy, a genious and strong yes, but still a boy, a child who needed love. He reached out and held Ed tightly, let a few tears fall from his own eyes.
 
"I dont want you to say them either Ed...you and Al?...you were like my own kids ya know? And If I could I would stay with you boys forever..but you know I cant, not that I wont be there when you need me...I'll always be there you know that...but for now...Its time for me to go."
 
"I know...I know but its too hard dammit..and its not FAIR!...Im tired of saying those words...I hate those words..there like acid in my stomache."
 
"But if you dont say them, then they will eat you up inside and I dont want that Ed...I couldnt handle that...so I need you to say them for me...please Ed...say the words...let me leave." came the mans voice, tired, but still so loving and Ed hated him for making it harder, but he had no choice, Ed knew that. He needed to say them, owed the man who had cared for him and Al so much he gave everything he had for them. Even his life.
 
"Goodbye Hughes...Goodbye...." Ed cried as he watched the man before him starting to thin out, as he smiled down at Ed.
 
"Goodbye Edward...till we meet again...tell Al I'll miss him and that I care for you both..never forget that ok??? and tell Roy....tell him Im still behind him...pushing him foward..." the ghose of Meas Hughes replied as his body began to shimmer and dissappear.
 
"What?? Whats that supposed to mean?" Ed asked in confussion.
 
"Roy will know what I mean...watch out for him for me will ya Ed?? He's not as hard and cold as you think." Hughes stated as he smiled once more before vanishing into nothing.
 
~~~Ed sat there and looked at the empty air before him, wiping the tears from his eyes as he head the thunking metal footsteps of his brother coming closer to the private car. He wouldnt tell Al of his converstaion with Hughes..not yet..later..later when the pain went away and he could handle it better...for now, he would go on as he always did, but he wouldnt forget...he would never forget.
 
"Tell my mom I said Hi Luitenant...and tell her...we love her and miss her..she will like you..and I know you'll like her too...till we meet again...Goodbye for now..you were like a father to me and Al and I wont forget that I promise...I promise..."
 
"Brother?..you ok?" Al asked from the door, a bowl of rice and meat in his hands for his brother.
 
"Im fine Al...Im fine..just thinking...and saying goodbye." Ed replied, looking out the window...making sure that niether Al or Winry could hear the last part. They didnt say anything and sat down so he knew they hadnt heard and if they did they didnt ask questions, which was good, cause he didnt think he could hold back the tears and not break down, and right now he needed to be strong..he needed to take care of his brother...and to get revenge for the man who had died, trying to help them. And to keep his promise. He'd watch after the stupid Colonel, but that was ok, cause Mustang watched over them too. Equivilant Trade and all, right?
 
 
 
 
A/N~ok I know this probably sucked big time, but I had to get it out, I cried when Hughes died and I wanted to put this out as my tribute to the funny but lovable Hughes who is no more..sniffles...till laters be well safe and happy, huggles and smiles Mija..:-)