Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ For Your Own Good ❯ A Brief Interlude ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

For Your Own Good

Disclaimers: If I owned Full Metal Alchemist you can bet Hughes wouldn’t have died. XP So no, I don’t own it.

I should be working on some of my dbz fics but I just can’t find the inspiration at the moment. So I return this story. Yay.

Once again... THIS IS NOT A YAOI OR YURI OR SLASH OR SHONEN AI OR GAY RELATIONSHIP FANFICTION! Sorry to those I disappoint, (namely you, Katie XP) but I’m not those things so I don’t feel right about writing them.

-LAST TIME ON FOR YOUR OWN GOOD-

Scar rose with his hands clenched and eyes a devilish red. He moved his hand out toward Roy, Edward’s blood dribbling down them in thick streams, and then with a horrible smile he snapped his fingers.

“Hawkeye... What the hell?”

“With all due respect sir, you have a very bad tendency to wear your gloves when you sleep...”

Roy smiled and then pulled the charred curtains closed.

“Brother. Where are we headed this time? You still haven’t told me.”

“Don’t worry, brother. It will only be for a day or so, right? We will leave quickly so you don’t... do anything rash.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chapter Two:

A Brief Interlude

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

“The foundation of every state is the education of its youth.”

-Diogenes

xxx

The train pulled into Central station just ten minutes after seven the next morning. Alphonse noticed the sudden silence of the engine, that usually echoed through his hallow armor, as soon as it was cut. He opened his mind’s eye and looked out their cabin window.

“We’re back,” The armor spoke in his resounding way.

A grumble came from the armor’s left. Al turned just as Ed blinked open his eyes.

Ed lay with his tummy exposed as usual, his body spread, like butter on toast, across the bench opposite of Al. He rubbed his sore neck as he pushed himself upright. His head had be resting awkwardly on the armrest the night before. It caused stiff pain now in the early morning.

Edward must have noticed the absence of the engine as well for his eyes quickly went to the window.

He smiled at the sight of people rushing to and fro across the platform. It seemed they were all rushing to some place important. Ed even occasionally saw a flash of the blue uniform that he still refused to wear. Ed saw his smirking reflection and moved to flatten his hair so his smirk was rightly justified.

Stretching just slightly, Edward looked over his shoulder at his younger brother. “Ready, Al?”

“Yes,” answered Al simply, rising to his feet. There was the familiar clunking as he rose, a constant reminder to both him and his brother of their committed sins.

They received the same awkward stares as they made their way off the train. Al earned them far more than Ed. It seemed that no matter how often they returned here, the appearance of a giant walking suit of armor was still bizarre. Such stares still unnerved Al even if his iron plated face could not show it.

Al looked down at the top of his brother’s blonde head. The boy was a stride ahead of him, bright and cheery as he ever could be. People often said that his brother was a conceited and foolish young twit who thought of nothing but power and wealth. That Ed was a genius with a inflated ego and certain naivety about how the world works.

Perhaps they were right. In some cases, Ed did walk with his head held a bit higher. His talents with alchemy were at a genius standard. In all truth, Edward Elric was fast on his feet, often quick to judge, aired a pompous attitude, and held a certain disregard for authority. A spoiled self-centered brat, no less.

But there was far more to Ed than the rumors and his own outward appearance. Al could see it. Hughes also could see it. And although Ed wouldn’t like to hear it, Alphonse was sure that Colonel Roy Mustang saw this side of his brother too. If not, then Alphonse had no idea why the Colonel had gone out of his way on countless occasions to help and stick up for them. He didn’t think Mustang could really be that generous.

Ed was different. His dedication to his younger brother clearly said that. Even if the dedication was guilt driven, it was still there. Edward was filled with an unstoppable determination and a loyalty to morals he would gladly die to uphold. While he had no God, Ed had a great sense of compassion in those around him. He was self sacrificing and truly a brave soul.

Ed was years older than his time, Al realized. He really shouldn’t have had to bear it alone. But still Ed did so anyway- protecting what little childlike innocence Alphonse still retained.

That’s why I have to get Ed’s body back, Al told himself. With the pains of automail and being a military dog, Ed’s scale has tipped too far. If he does anymore for me, I’ll owe him too much.

Equivalent exchange, Edward’s favorite principal. And with Alphonse in question, he never withheld it properly.

Alphonse nearly tripped over his brother when Ed suddenly stopped. The bottom of his chest plate banged painfully into the back of Ed’s head, causing the smaller brother to yelp.

“Oh!”

“Ah, Al!”

“S-sorry brother!”

“Watch it, a little.”

“But you stopped so- oh.”

Alphonse’s soulful red eyes fell upon the grinning man in front of them. The dark haired man gave a swift nod which Ed returned with a salute and Al with a bow.

“Edward! Al! I didn’t realize you’d be back in town so soon,” The man chuckled merrily, draining the energy from Ed’s body with his enthusiasm. “It’s been awhile since I’ve seen you two. How have you been?”

“Fine.” Ed grumped “So Hughes... what’s a Lieutenant Colonel such as yourself doing at the train station? I don’t suppose the Colonel sent you as our welcoming committee?”

“Roy? Give a damn?” laughed Hughes in his usual annoying way. If Al could smile he would have. Hughes was probably the nicest person in all the military regiment. A loving father and generous husband to boot. If not for his bothering obsession with his daughter, Ed would probably enjoy the man’s company more often.

Hughes straightened his glasses. He always did this when returning to ‘serious’ mode. “No. I’m off today,” his voice suddenly lowered so that any eavesdroppers couldn’t accidently listen in. “Besides the office is far too busy with dealings of Scar to be idly handing out welcoming committees.”

“Any new news?” Ed asked sternly. The seriousness in his voice was slightly unnerving. Al shifted his weight from foot to foot to keep from childishly fidgeting.

“Not really,” Hughes pushed up his glasses again. He was watching the crowd around them somewhat wearily. When he had clearly come upon the conclusion that they weren’t being unnecessarily noticed he leaned closer to Ed.

“Last we heard of Scar was an incident farther east. We haven’t seen him near Central for quite some time now,” Al heard him murmur to Edward.

“Well, that’s a relief,” Al sighed. “Isn’t it, brother?”

But Ed didn’t answer.

His usual bright golden eyes had darkened and lowered to the platform’s marble floor. Alphonse didn’t have to ask. He knew why his brother had such a change in disposition.

Ed was thinking about Nina. Nina was another heartache his brother was struggling to recover from. Yet another incident that he took guilt for. Ed felt the undying need to serve justice to the other helping hand in Nina’s demise. And that other was Scar.

Scar, Al shivered slightly. For being the creature that nearly took his brother away, Al still couldn’t bring himself to hate Scar as much as Edward could. There was something Al felt was missing. Like that one missing puzzle piece that made all the difference to the final picture. Or that one chess piece that could win the game.

Edward wasn’t really patient enough for games or puzzles though. Never was and probably never would be.

“You never did tell us why you were here though, Mister Hughes, sir,” Alphonse sputtered, hastily breaking the silence that had befallen the trio.

“Oh? Oh!” Hughes chuckled suddenly. But his eyes weren’t on the boys anymore. Instead his bright gaze focused on whoever had just come up behind them.

“Big bwothers!”

Ed and Al both turned just as little Elicia flung her arms around Edward’s waist. Ed buckled slightly against the five year old’s weight, the wind blown clear out of him. But soon he too was laughing happily along with the little girl.

Once again, Alphonse wished he could smile.

“Oh my goodness! What a surprise!” Mrs Hughes giggled joining their group. She was donning a rather large sun hat over a bright yellow summer dress and held on either side of her two bags of luggage. Hughes quickly made sure she was holding nothing though.

The reunion was quite cute. Lots of hugging and laughing. It made Al’s heart hurt- even though he knew quite well he hadn’t one anymore.

“I had no idea your family was on the train as well,” Ed smiled cheerfully up at the pigtailed girl sitting comfortably on his shoulders. “We would have joined you guys if we knew... Right, Al?”

“Oh. Right,” Alphonse muttered.

They started off into the busy streets of Central. Hughes had insisted upon the boys’ company this day seeing as it was his last day off for, what he claimed would be, quite awhile. But even though he had forced the boys to visit this day, he constantly fretted over Elicia. Especially when Elicia was on Ed’s shoulders...

“I swear I won’t drop her, Hughes,” Ed snapped as they crossed a fairly traffic free street. “Look. I’ve got her legs. She can’t fall.”

“Ankles, Ed! Grab her by her ankles! Geez, she’s my little girl, you know!” reproached Hughes.

“Honey, it’s alright. She’s quite safe with Edward.”

“I know that, dear,” said Hughes, his tone considerably softer when speaking to his wife. “I’m just keeping the boy on his guard.” He suddenly poked Ed in the back causing the young alchemist to scowl. “Got that? I know my daughter’s cute, but don’t let her cuteness cause you do anything rash.”

Elicia giggled just in time to cover up Edward’s harsh curses. Something about her only being five and obnoxious over obsessive fathers.

Then Al’s brother suddenly stopped. His face was dark- as if someone from far away had just mentioned the word ‘shrimp’. Alphonse was just planning to restrain his brother when Ed suddenly cast him a disquieting glare.

“What’s wrong, Edward?” Hughes asked, obviously noticing Ed’s stare as well.

Elicia took the moment’s pause to bop Ed upside the head playfully. When he didn’t react she then began taking a fancy to his braid. She was gentle enough for the young alchemist to not notice it at all. But still Edward cast her wearisome stare, almost as if he was wondering if she really was safe on his shoulders.

“It’s nothing,” He muttered, closing his eyes, and bowing his head once more.

The group walked the rest of the way in silence, save for Elicia’s childish singing and Hughes’ undaunted praise.

But not so far away, someone watched them through the broken shards of a window. Lips curled into a sinister smile as small fingers fell over Edward’s retreating form below.

“The Full Metal Alchemist,” A bodiless voice smirked. “What a perfect plaything you’ll be.”

The fist curled about Edward, taking him from the person’s sight.

“Everything near flame dies, little boy,” the voice suddenly hissed, taking a far more sinister tone. “You and your brother go first.”

xxx

“Here,” muttered Hawkeye dully handing Mustang her handkerchief.

Roy took it testily and then politely dabbed his red nose. “I must be coming down with something. I keep sneezing.”

“Or someone’s got a crush on you... sir.” Havoc murmured lazily from behind his office desk. He was leaned back completely in the chair with his feet up on the top table. Hawkeye glared at him disapprovingly and then tapped his shoes.

In response, Havoc shrugged and then removed his feet.

“Wouldn’t be the first,” Mustang grinned mischievously.

Hawkeye let out a long sigh and rubbed her head. She was lucky to survive with all the headaches she kept getting from Roy’s fabulous crew.

“Could you take your work seriously for once?” She hissed, sorting through the mess of papers on Havoc’s desk.

“What? Me or him?” Havoc grumbled thumb and index pointed between the two in question.

“Both of you,” retorted Hawkeye.

The two men shrugged sheepishly causing Hawkeye to grab her head again.

They are so perfect for each other, Riza thought. Both lazy perverts. Mini skirts? Honestly.

She straightened up another pile and then paused, looking at a telegram at the top. If possible, her face went redder.

“So Havoc,” She turned. Both Roy and Havoc were passing pictures to each other in her silence. Caught in the act, Havoc quickly stuffed the photos in his desk drawer- but not before Riza got a flash of what they were. Swimsuit models... or something of the like. Hawkeye resisted the urge to rub her temples again.

“Havoc,” She snapped. Havoc resumed attention. “When were you going to tell the Colonel?”

She held the folded paper out to him. Havoc took the message uncertainly.

“Tell me what?” said Mustang bewildered.

Havoc’s face lit up in sudden recognition. “Oh yeah! Full Metal arrived on the train today. Early this morning.”

“What?” Roy snapped snatching the paper from Havoc.

“Yeah. I forgot to tell you,” Havoc rubbed the back of his neck and leaned back in his chair again.

Roy read the paper in silence and then looked up at the two officers before him, his old flare back. “Why didn’t Full Metal check in?”

He looked to Riza but before she could answer, Havoc spoke up again, rocking back and forth in his chair. “Hughes kidnaped him. But it’s alright. He’ll be here tomorrow.”

Mustang nodded but then slammed the paper on Havoc’s desk. Havoc jumped a foot, barely able to keep from falling backwards in his chair. The swinging of his arms kept his upright.

“No more slacking off, Havoc!” Mustang spat, and in an undertone he added, “Slip the rest of those photos in your next report...”

“Will do sir!” Havoc saluted.

With a final slam of his door, Roy returned to his office. Hawkeye, instead of returning to her own desk, came up beside Havoc’s.

“Give me the rest of those photos, Havoc. The Colonel needs to work, not stare at half naked women.”

Havoc’s face fell. “You’re such a spoil sport, Lieutenant.”
To Be Continued... Please R & R!

Sorry for the lack of action. I’m getting there, I swear. Just had to put in some funny stuff in the meantime.

Iunno if I kept the characters accurately in character. I kind of felt from the manga that Mustang and Havoc were somewhat chummy. And they obviously shared the same feelings of women and dating so I decided to give them something to do in the meantime.

It’s going slowly but hopefully everything will work out soon.

I failed my AP Art exam... bums me out considering I worked so hard on the stupid thing- harder than most kids in my class. So I decided from here on out I’m abandoning art. I’m writing full time. Forget stupid Art. It sucks anyway. I’ll be an English Major and get a great job. I’ll be a ASL interpreter too. Who needs art anyway? You can’t be an anime artist in America anyway. At least not in a way to earn a lot of money.

If you want review responses, go to my profile. In my bio there is a link that takes you to the memories of my live-journal. From there click on the link titled RRForOwnGood1. Those who reviewed last time were: Amanda, IluvPiratesSavvy, crazyanimefreak15, Gozilla, anti-thule, Ytak, Shiruba_Neko, PhantomAlchemist, PinguMew98, miroku_has_darkness, and Skadu.

Please review. Your patronage is much appreciated!








    &nbs p;                     &n bsp;