Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Fullmetal Alchemist : A Summoning ❯ Destiny ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or Fullmetal Alchemist. They belong to J. K. Rowling and Hiromu Arakawa respectively.

~Ch 5 - Destiny ~

Edward lay in a bed reading one of the borrowed books, a past time that seemed to be the norm as of late. As much as the Fullmetal Alchemist loved to unravel new mysteries, he also loved to be active, challenged, or... in the very least entertained. He sighed as he turned to the next page of “The Standard Book of Spells.” As interesting as this book had appeared to be in the beginning, with out the practical application, it was turning out to be rather dull. The literature was obviously for a young age group which is where the challenge was lacking. Also, the droll way things were explained was causing Ed’s brain to turn to mush after the first hundred or so pages. This was one of many beginner’s books he had been learning from and he didn’t know how much more he could take. Decoding cook books with falsetto recipes, working out new alchemic arrays, learning forbidden secretes... now those would be interesting, but he knew better than most that all things worth while start out this way. But that doesn’t make my brain hurt any less right now. He thought to himself solemnly.

Realizing he had read the same sentence twice and still not understood the actual words he was reading, he decided he’d had enough for the night. Ed marked his page with a piece of scrap paper he had been writing notes on and placed it on the night stand. With a large stretch, he settled down to stare at the canopy above him. He sat in the silence of room number 12 of the Leaky Cauldron just staring blankly up. “That’s it.” He said to himself in his native tongue. “ I’m going to go entertain myself. I’ve kept myself locked up long enough since I came back, its time to go out in the world and mingle with the common folk. Besides,” he smirked to himself as he swung his feet over the side of the bed and placed them in his boots, “there is a pub downstairs after all. And where there’s a pub...” He trailed off as he finished tying up his laces.

Edward was by no means an alcoholic, but he did enjoy a good stiff drink here and there. He was a military man after all. Besides, a nice strong drink after the recent events in his life would be considered appropriate by anyone’s standards. He was just grateful that large man, Kingsley, had dropped him off at a bed and breakfast with a bar. Well, he was grateful for that and the fact that he no longer felt like a prisoner that needed guarding. The fact that he was out in the big wide world on his own was rather relieving.

Edward walked down the nice staircase with a little pep in his step. However, his lightening mood dulled at the sight of greenish smoke and tattered clothing at the bar. It was with a slightly more sluggish pace that he took the last couple of steps. He looked at his would-be guard and shook his head. He could understand that an organization like the Order of the Phoenix would need a man like him, but why on earth they trusted him with things like guarding was a puzzle to Ed. Just from the short time he had known him, Ed knew the man was completely unreliable for such work. Why couldn’t the people who knew him more personally see this.

Determined not to let his slightly better mood slip away completely, he decided to try and have a little fun with the man. He had a funny personality and after you got past the swindler side of him, Mundungus was rather agreeable company. As long as you were more down to earth and had a vulgar sense of humor that is... But again, Ed was a military man after all.

Ed quietly snuck up behind the man and, when he was an arms length away, he suddenly latched his hands onto the shoulders of his unsuspecting victim. If it weren’t for the iron grip Ed had on his shoulders, Fletcher would have surely jumped ten feet out of his chair. Smirking, Ed leaned in beside the man’s head and spoke. “Mundungus, vhat a pleasant surprise.” His grip tightened a little more and the man flinched. “I had thought I vouldn’t see you or the others for at least a little vhile.” Finally Ed relented his slightly painful grip on the man and took a seat on the stool next to him. “I suppose it can’t be helped though.” He said with a shrug, but the smirk didn’t leave his lips as he looked over to the poorly dressed man.

“Yeah, uh... well.” Mundungus started off in his slurred voice. “I suppose it is a nice surprise to be seeing you here.”

Ed exhaled through his nose in a way that resembled a laugh. “Ah, don’t vorry about it.” He waved it off before he spoke in a slightly lower level and leaning toward him. “Besides, I’m sure there are more, profitable, things you vould rather be doing right now.” Leaning back, his volume raised to a normal level. “At least I have a drinking partner now.”

“You drink?” Mundungus hadn’t taken the clean cut military boy for a drinker.

Edward raised a brow at him. “You think a man like myself vouldn’t?”

The look on the order member’s face sobered as his gaze drifted to Edward’s arm, obviously remembering the metal that lay beneath the fabric of the shirt. “Suppose not.” He concluded before his gaze and facial features relaxed and he took another sip of what ever was in his rocks glass. “So you finally decided to get yer nose outta those books huh?” He started to converse casually as Tom, the bar keep, walked towards them.

“Ja, I had hoped to have a nice reprieve from literature in a glass of some strong liquor. Any suggestions?” Ed hadn’t really read any books on the alcohol of this time, let alone culture. They would most likely be similar to the stuff back home, but the names would be different. Since his ‘guard’ was obviously a seasoned drinker, who better to ask.

A sloppy smirk appeared on the grubby man’s mouth. “Now there’s something I think I can help with.” He turned his attention to Tom. “Get my friend here a glass of Ogden’s Old Firewhiskey.” He said boisterously.

The bald barkeep eyed Edward. “You sure the boy’s old enough?” He asked Mundungus even though he was staring directly at Ed.

A little vein on Edward’s temple appeared, but Mundungus answered before he got to worked up. “Course he old enough. More than you’d think.”

With this, Tom nodded and set down the glass he had been whipping out. While the bar tender turned to get the alcohol from a random shelf a little ways off, Ed reached in his pocket and pulled out a hand full of wizarding currency. He gave it a contemplative look before turning to Mundungus. “Vhat does this firevhiskey usually cost? I’m not familiar vith the money yet.” He asked lowly as he motioned to the money in his hand.

The other man’s eyes seemed to twinkle as he gazed upon the coins that shined gold. “Now who gave you all those?” He questioned, but before Ed could answer Mundungus started to reach a hand out. “If you want I could...”

Ed pulled his hand back quickly. “Not on your life you crook.” Ed grumbled, but there was a smirk on his lips none the less. “And a certain opa gave them to me as a show of good faith, as he put it.” It was then that Tom returned and pored an innocent looking liquid into the cup he had set before Ed. Before Tom had even given him a price, Ed set a golden coin on the bar and pulled the glass toward himself. Tom took the Galion and after a minute handed him back ten silver coins and a small hand full of bronze ones. “Danke.” He mumbled with a sigh. He had a feeling that sorting out the wizarding currency was going to be a bit of a pain to get used to. Oh well, nothing new. I’ve only had to learn new money systems how may times? He thought sarcastically to himself.

He turned his attention back to his glass and lifted it up a bit to get a good look at it before bringing it to his nose. With a small sniff he quickly exhaled through his nose to rid himself of the sent. “Smells like it could take the rust off of a sunken ship.” He commented to Mundungus. “Vouldn’t be trying to get me hurt vould you?” He asked light heartedly as he brought the glass to his mouth.

“Never,” smirked the man as he took another puff from his smelly pipe. “But I can’t wait to see this.” He said in amusement. “Hope you like hair on your chest.” He laughed gruffly.

Ed took a sip and the minute the liquid hit his tongue, he knew it was the good stuff. It burned more than any other alcohol he had ingested in his life and had quite a strong and spicy kick to it. “Few,” exhaled Ed breathily, “you vere not kidding. This is some strong stuff.” He commented as he seemed to visually inspect the liquid a little closer.

“To much for ya?” asked Fletcher amused.

“Nein,” He commented casually, but the smirk was wiped from Mundungus’s face as Ed downed the rest of the glass in one move. “Pleasantly unexpected.” Corrected Ed after the intense spice in his throat subsided. “Now, before I get to betrunken, perhaps you should give me a verbal run through of this money.” He patted his pocket full of coins for emphases that he wasn’t going to proffer the crook his money again.

A bit later in the night Edward's rich laughter filled the main room of the Leaky Cauldron. He held his side and tears were forming in the corner of his eyes. Mundungus had been regaling him with a hilarious and outlandish tale involving a rather uppity wizard and an inventive swindle, compliments of Mundungus himself of course. Ed patted the man on the back as he laughed. Unfortunately for him, he had been sitting on Edward’s right side and the blow was a bit painful, but fortunately he had already drank a fair enough amount to dull the actual pain that blow would have inflicted.

“Fletcher, you are quickly becoming von of my favorite vizards.” He said as he wiped away his unshed tears. His laughter slowly died away as he looked at his, once again, empty glass. “It seems I am out again.” He said with a smile.

“Tom!” slurred the older man.

Ed waved away the bar keep. “I think I’ve had enough for von night.” He gave the obviously drunk wizard a once over as he, himself, stood on unsteady legs. “As have you.”

Mundungus gave him a sour look. “Ah, come on Ed. Aren’t many that I have enjoyed drinking with more.” He complimented.

“Psh,” slurred Ed with a smirk, “You’re only saying that because I bought half of your drinks, you cheep bastard.”

“Heh, guess you got me there.” He shrugged with a sheepish smile.

“Vell, I have to get up early to meet with someone named Mcgonogold...” he frowned. “Mcgoldenol?” He struggled, but gave up with a shrug. “A frauline from the school to take me to get supplies.”

“McGonagall?”

“That 217;s it.” Ed said, pointing at Mundungus with a hand that wouldn’t quite keep from wobbling around rather than staying pointed at its intended target. “Ja, vell, anyvays.” He straightened up to try and not look so drunk. “As I vas saying. I have to be up early, but next time you are in the area” he covered for on guard, “We should do this again. Guten nacht Fletch.” He said as he wandered off towards the stairs.

“See ya round Ed.” Mundungus said without turning around to watch him go back to his room. “Tom!”

Ed just shook his head as he carefully climbed the steps. If you looked up lush in the dictionary, Ed was sure there would be a picture of Mundungus there. Though he did thank his luck that he had an entertaining person like him to lighten his heavy heart and mind for a while. They had been drinking for... Ed pulled out his pocket watch to check the time... damn near five hours! Ed groaned as he stepped up to his door and pulled out his key. He was not a nice person when suffering from a hang over, let alone suffering from one while getting up early to go shopping. I can hardly wait. He thought sarcastically as he flopped face first on his bed. He kicked his boots off and decided against moving from the very comfortable, as long as your drunk, position and promptly passed out.

-

Ed had managed to pull himself out of bed and change before stumbling down stairs for some much needed coffee. It hadn’t been long before his appointment showed up, much to his disappointment. He had been hoping to wake up a bit more and rid himself of his head ache before dealing with all sorts of weird wizard shops. He was now looking over a very prim and proper looking witch with dark hair pulled back into a bun. She was peering at him with beady eyes over the top of square glasses. They had just exchanged names, but before moving onto the business of their meeting she had found it necessary to give him a once over.

“Are you feeling all right Mr. Elric?” She asked suspiciously. There was a slight shadow to the underside of Ed’s eyelids and he was slouching slightly.

Straightening himself a bit he shook his head. “Ja, I’m fine. I just didn’t sleep vell.” He said in a ruff voice and then quickly cleared his throat.

Minerva looked down her nose at him, but said no more on the matter. “As you know I am here to take you shopping for the supplies you’ll be needing. I have already been informed by the head master of your unique situation, but we won’t be discussing any details on the matter until you have taken up residency within Hogwart’s.” At Edward’s nod, she continued. “If you will just follow me, we will make our way to Diagon Alley.” She said as she made her way through the shop to a back door. As they stepped out into a small, shabby little courtyard, McGonagall continued speaking while she reached out and tapped a series of bricks with her wand. “I have already taken the liberty of retrieving your school allotted funds from Gringotts Wizarding Bank.”

Edward’s eyes widened slightly as the bricks began reforming into an archway that led to a bustling street full of brightly colored pedestrians. He turned to Minerva and with an incredulous look. “So you keep this place, and others like it, completely from the knowledge of non-vizarding people?” He asked quietly as they stepped through the archway. “That seems like quite the feat.”

McGonagall shot him a disapproving look and took him off to the side. She glanced around for a moment before whispering harshly. “You need to remember Mr. Elric, that you are a professor at one of the most prestigious schools for witchcraft and wizardry. As such you should already know these things and to not know them might seem a little... suspicious.” He seemed to have forgotten that, for all intensive purposes, he was on a sort of undercover mission. “Now, for appearances sake, you need to know the procedure for our first stop.” She gave another glance around to make sure no one was listening in yet. “We are going to be getting you a wand. You will be asked to hold out your wand arm. When prompted you will hold out your left arm. I am correct in concluding that is the one you write with?”

“Ja, I am ambidextrous, but the left is better for fine, detailed work.” He answered.

“Good, that makes things easier.” She said with a little less rigidity. “You will then be measured and the shop owner, Mr. Olivander, will bring you a wand to try. You will pick it up and give it a swish through the air.” Here she held up a finger in warning. “Be prepared. If it is not the wand for you, which it rarely is on the first try, then strange things may happen. Try not to act too surprised.” She sighed.

“I’ll do my best.” Grumbled Ed as he folded his arms. This woman was treating him a little bit to closely to a student if her tone and mannerisms said anything. She had better start treating me like an equal quickly or we are gonna to have problems real soon. He thought to himself as they traveled through the crowd. McGonagall didn’t say much more until they had passed several very interesting looking shops and an alley that looked to be a little on the shady side. Finally they came to a stop outside of a shabby little shop. The only display in the window was a single wand on a pillow. He eyed the older woman skeptically. The one thing she had said to him on his way here was that this Ollivander fellow was the best wand maker out there. If that was the case then why did his shop look so, for lack of a better word, crappy.

McGonagall seemed to pick up on the meaning of his gaze as she answered his unspoken question. “I assure you, he is the best.” She said confidently before walking into the store followed by a still skeptical alchemist.

It was hard enough to believe it was these little sticks of wood that caused the law of equivalent exchange to be completely over looked. So to see the marker of the best quality of such powerful instruments have such a grubby looking shop... well, it didn’t help his disbelief any. As Ed looked around said shop he sighed in defeat. It looked even more shabby inside. Oh well, it’s not like anything else in this strange culture is what it appears to be. A man shuffled out from behind the long rows of boxes containing, what Ed concluded must be, the wands. The little old man had eerie, moon-like eyes that drifted over the two patrons before settling on Ed’s shopping companion.

“Fir wood, ten and a half inches, pliable, unicorn hair.” Ed found this a strange way for the man to greet someone, but said nothing as the old man continued. “Nice to see you again Minerva.” He said shaking her hand softly. He then glanced over at Ed. “Who do we have here?”

“It’s nice to see you again as well, Mr. Ollivander.” She greeted in return before gesturing to Ed. “This is our newest staff member at Hogwarts and new resident to our little portion of Europe, Edward Elric.”

The moon-like eyes widened slightly and aged brows rose in surprise. “Professor?” He questioned to himself before addressing Ed. “Well, you must be skilled indeed to get such a prestigious position at such a young age.”

“Danke.” Ed nodded in respect to the man. “A pleasure to meet you, but it seems I find myself in a bit of a dilemma and in need of your services. I have managed to completely destroy my original vand and need a new von. Vord has it your shop is the best. Think you could help me out?”

Mr. Ollivander smiled genuinely at the blond foreigner. “I am most eager to have the chance to fit you with a wand.” He went and retrieved a tape measure from behind the desk. “Lets get straight to business shall we? Hold out your wand arm please.”

Ed did as was instructed and managed to keep himself from jumping as the tape measure decided to float mid air and take measurements of its own accord. He watched as the man took off through the rows of boxes and disappeared for a moment. He returned a moment later and set a box on the counter before Ed, opening the lid.

“Chestnut, nine and a half inches, unyielding, unicorn hair.” He announced as he pushed it towards Ed.

That explains what he was talking about when he greeted McGonagall. He thought with an internal sweat drop. “May I?” Ed questioned as he reached for the stick. With a nod from the shop owner he picked up the wand and, pointing it away from the other two in the room, gave it a delicate swish. *BANG* Ed stood in shock with a soot stained face and an empty hand. After a second he looked back to Mr. Ollivander with a still surprised, yet apologetic look.

“I think it’s safe to say that was a no.” Sighed Mr. Ollivander as he went to the back to find another wand to try.

Ed looked over to McGonagall and made an expression and a motion with his hands as to say ‘what the hell?’ McGonagall shook her head to say don’t worry about it and, if Ed didn’t know any better, she seemed to fighting back a smile. This of course caused Ed’s eyes to narrow at her. “Vhat?” He whispered in annoyance. Minerva reached into her hand bag and pulled out a handkerchief while motioning to his face. Ed took the cloth and wiped at his check. Pulling it away to inspect it, he noticed the layer of black. His eyebrows shot up and he began scrubbing his face vigorously. After he was satisfied with the cleanliness of his face, he pattered his clothes down and sent small clouds of dust puffing into the air. It was about this time the wand maker made his way back to the duo with a new wand to try.

“Willow, nine inches, swishy, dragon heartstring.” He said as he once again opened the box for Edward.

Hesitantly, Edward reached out and picked it up. Again pointing it away from the others, he gave it a quick flick. He flinched, expecting another explosion, but when none happened he relaxed and looked at the wand in his hand. “I guess nothings better than... Ouch!” He dropped the wand that had just burnt him through his glove and watched as it turned a brilliant cherry red before turning to a pile of ash. “I huh... sorry?” He said unsure of what else to say since he had just destroyed Two wands in a row.

A slightly more perplexed looking Olivander placed a hand on his chin in contemplation. “I rarely see someone with such a violent reaction to two completely different wands.” He said to him self before hurrying off into the recesses of the shop. He was back in no time with another box. This time he set it down with a little hesitation himself and began opening the black container.

Ed spoke out before he even had a chance to ramble off what this particular wand was comprised of. “Vould it help if I told you my specialty is Alchemy?” He asked, but never the less reached for the wand.

Ed’s finger was nearly caught in the box at the rapid motion with which Mr. Olivander slammed the lid back on it. Pulling it close to himself as if Ed would make it burst into flames by just being near to it, he smiled at Ed. “Actually, yes. I think I know just the wand for you Mr. Elric. Give me a moment for it will take me a bit to find it.” He said as he gingerly carried the box he was holding back to it’s resting place.

“You are sure this guy knows vhat he’s talking about?” whispered Ed after the man was out of sight.

“I’m positive, Mr. Elric.” She dead panned.

“Please,” he said holding up a hand. “Call me Edward or Ed. Ve are colleagues after all.” He said with a smile.

Minerva seemed to think it over with a frown. She obviously didn’t like the idea of such a young man taking up the position he was, but didn’t speak on her feelings. “Very well, Edward, as you wish.”

“Danke.” He smiled to her charmingly as Mr. Ollivander made his way to the front again.

He was carrying a red box that seemed in stark contrast with the overwhelming theme of black on the other boxes in the shop. Surprisingly, the old man didn’t start off with what the wand was made of. Nor did he immediately open the box. Instead, he kept a firm hand on top of it as he spoke to Ed, looking him directly in the eyes. “This is one of my best works of art. I happened to buy the core ingredients from Gregorovitch, who I’m sure you have heard of. He assured me that this particular dragon heartstring came from a great alchemic ritual preformed by muggles, around the time of one of their great world wars. A ritual that was rumored to have actually worked, according to Gregorovitch.” He explained before lifting his hand slightly to grab the edges of the lid. “It is also made of a wood that I rarely sell, yew.” Here he lifted the box’s lid to reveal a lightly colored wand. The handle seemed to have red swirls engraved into it. A red that seemed to mirror the color of the red stones the homunculli coveted so dearly.

Edward took a step away as the realization of exactly what the core was made of hit home. Envy... but, how? He thought horrified at the prospect of using any part of that monster.

Mr. Olivander seemed not to notice the reaction this particular wand was having on his customer as he lifted it gingerly out of the box. “Eight and three quarter inches long and very pliable.” He continued on. “It is most excellent for transfiguration and by extension, alchemy. I had hoped that the welder of this wand would grow to be the next Nicolas Flamel. I believe that you, Mr. Elric, are one such wizard.” He stated, still in a slight trance as he gazed upon the wand he had put so much time and care into. Finally he came out of his daze and smiled again to Edward who was now a few paces away. “But, as we all know, it is the wand that chooses the wizard, so give it a try.” He said in a lighter voice than before.

Ed seemed to hesitate and although McGonagall looked over his apprehensive stance in questioned, she stepped up to him and urged him forward. Ed stumbled up to the desk with the little helping ‘nudge’ from the transfiguration teacher. He swallowed hard and reached out to grasp the wand in his own hand. The minute his fingers wrapped around the handle and Mr. Ollivander let go, the wand began to glow a soft, light blue. The wand maker nodded encouragingly and stepped away. Ed gave a delicate swish of the wand over the desk, forgetting to point it away in his distress. The blue light engulfed the desk as well and a blinding flash flooded the room. When the onlookers were able to see again they were stunned at what they saw.

Edward looked up and gasped at the sight before him. He stumbled back and fell on his butt. There before him, was an exact replica of the gate. Though it was on a smaller scale, all the details were exactly the same. Ed was brought back to reality as Mr. Olivander clapped. “Wonderful, absolutely wonderful. I knew you had it in you.” He said as he went closer to inspect the desk turned door.

McGonagall reached a hand to him which he ignored and stood of his on his own strength. He looked from the small stick in his hand to the large door he had created and back again. “You had better close your mouth before you begin to catch flies Edward.” Came the slightly amused voice of Minerva and Ed did as prompted.

Shaking his head to clear it, he stepped up to the obviously delighted shop owner. “How much do I owe you for this? I mean, I did destroy two vands and transmute your desk into a door...” He questioned as he placed the wand in his vest pocket and began reaching in the front pocket of his pants for his cash.

Olivander patted him on the back. “Don’t worry about it my boy. We will consider this payment for the lot. It is the fact that my most favored wand is in such capable hands that is the greatest payment. I know you’ll do it justice.”

“That’s very kind of you Herr Olivander, but vhat do you intend to do vith... that.” He motioned with a grimace to the large gate replica standing awkwardly in the middle of the shop.

Olivander looked like he was considering for a moment and then stated. “Since it was created in the trial of a wand and it is so grand, I think I’ll install it as the front door.”

Edward looked over to the old door and then back to the door he had created. "At least let me do the installation for you. I feel I need to do more for the equivalency of the trade.”

“Very well.” Agreed Olivander. “It will be a great way to give your new wand another try.”

Ed faltered for a moment from where he was pushing the large wooden structure towards the shop’s front door. “Uh, yeah. As much as I love my new vand, I von’t be needing it for this.” He said trying not to let his disgust for the wand show.

“How do you mean to install it then?” Questioned the shop keep as Edward finished pushing the new door against the old one.

Edward dusted his hands off as he straightened up. He smirked to his two audience members. “Alchemy, of course.” He clapped his hands together and placed them on the door. A blue electricity rose up around the door and the wand maker watched in awe as it sank into the structure of the building. When the light subside, Ed turned to the two with a triumphant smirk in place and his hands on his hips.

Minerva had heard he could preform his homelands version of magic without a wand, but she hadn’t seen anyone do something like this without a wand before. The occasion still left her speechless to whiteness. She found her respect for the young man grow slightly larger.

“Capable indeed.” Said an awestruck Ollivander, referring to his earlier statement. “More like the next great prodigy.” He turned to Minerva in question. “Is Dumbledore training him as his replacement?” He asked her in a seriously curious tone.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

IVX: Hi guys, hope you liked this chapter. I put a lot of time into considering the type of wand Edward should have.... as well as a bit of research into McGonagals wand. (They never said what hers was in the book if I’m not mistaken)

Using the story guidelines, a chart of the celtic tree symbolism, and a bit of creativity I decided on their wands. As a fun side note here is the reason I chose what I did for Ed. Enjoy... ^_~

Core: The dragon heartstring of Envy’s dragon form. This was, for obvious reasons, the best core I could come up with. It is from a being born of alchemy and not only that, but it has a deep connection to Edward. Not only is it his brother’s homunculus, it is from his home world as well. As we know, the HP verse is all about destiny and all that jazz. Well, to me, it would be Ed’s destiny to hold this particular wand. Some of you may be concerned that because it is a part of Envy it would reject Ed the most violently. I say to those people, it is the wand not the creature the wand is made from, that chooses the wizard. The wand its self would be like a new being of sorts. It has a connection to Ed that it may be able to feel and the Fullmetal Alchemist is the only in this world, aside from Ed’s father if he’s still alive, that would be able to do it justice. I would think a wand would, above all else, want to be in the hands of a wizard that would bring it great fame or glory. I used Gregorovitch, the maker of Krum’s wand, as a plausible way for Mr. Ollivander to have got his hands on such a material. For one thing his name was very German and on top of that it would make sense for a man that retired to sell off any left over materials to other wand makers. Olivander being the best out there would get the pick of the litter obviously.

Length: 8 and 3 quarter inches. Heh, obviously it had to be a short wand. Although Ed is now 5'5'’, he still on the shorter end of the male height scale (just ask my husband...hehe). Like I said before, getting this particular wand was Ed’s destiny.

Wood: Yew. As we all know, or should know, Voltemort is the only one in the books that has this particular wood and he is a wizard of obviously great strength. But that aside, yew symbolizes death, rebirth and reincarnation. Change and regeneration. So on that fact alone I find it to be the most suitable for Ed’s occupation and life.

Quality of Motion: Very Pliable. James Potter had a pliable wand and this quality was said to be “excellent for transfiguration.” Pliable means that something can be molded and shaped, thus the “very” I added onto it, made it even better to transfiguration.

I would like to give a special thanks to the Harry Potter Lexicon, which is a great source for anything and everything HP related. You should really check out the web site. It’s mind blowing the amount of time that must have went into making it. Thanks for reading and don’t forget to review... ^_~