Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Future Memories ❯ Shock ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: You may need tissues.
-
-
Future Memories
 
Chapter Six
-
 
Shock
 
-
-
There was silence in the room for a minute until the sound of a door could be heard shutting down the hall, then Trisha looked around the room. Frowning, she looked down at Edward and said, “Where's Alphonse?”
 
The boy looked at her blankly for a moment then shrugged.
 
“I'd like you to go find him. The two of you need a bath and…” The blond boy opened his mouth to protest but she rode over what he was about to say. “…and I want you boys to get ready for bed. It will be past your bedtime by the time you actually get into bed.”
 
“But…”
 
“No, buts.”
 
“Bu…”
 
“Edward….”
 
The boy frowned and nodded before walking to the doorway. When he got there he turned around and said, “Mom?”
 
“What is it sweetheart?”
 
“Will you read to us tonight?” He asked hopefully.
 
Trisha sighed. She tried to read to them every night but sometimes she just had too many things that had to be done. Tonight she was so far behind that she wasn't sure when she'd finish everything.
 
“I can't tonight Edward… I'm sorry.”
 
“Oh…” The disappointment was evident in his face.
 
Suddenly the Major spoke up. “How about I tell you and your brother some stories tonight?”
 
“Like what?” The blond boy asked.
 
“I have lots of good stories. I grew up in the east you know.(1) There's tons of stuff to tell.”
 
“Really?” The boy asked, his voice betraying a hint of excitement.
 
“Of course there are.” The Colonel chimed in sarcastically. “There are stories of cows, chickens, sheep, goats… you take your pick. Any of them is bound to put you right to sleep.”
 
The Major glared at his double before walking over to the boy and motioning him out the door. The younger man looked back and smiled slightly at Trisha before following the boy. She could hear him say, “Don't mind the old guy, he's thinking of his old girlfriends not…” But she couldn't hear the rest.
 
She tried not to chuckle at the Major's comments, but couldn't help letting out a little laugh when she saw the Colonel's face.
 
“Well…” She said, still chuckling, “I need to get the laundry taken down off the line and folded before it's completely dark, and then finish cleaning up from dinner… so… well, I guess if you would like to read some of the books in my husband's study, you're welcome to do that.”
 
The Colonel nodded, then said, “I'll take you up on that, but how about I take care of the laundry and you finish things up in here?”
 
Trisha grinned. A man who would do laundry… oh if only she were single… That thought made her think of her husband and the grin slipped from her face. If only her love would return to her…
 
“Well, if you're sure…” She said.
 
The dark haired man nodded. “We alchemists believe in equivalent exchange. Here you've given us dinner and you'll be giving us a place to stay, but we haven't done anything for you.” He walked to the door, then turned with a small smile on his face. “Besides, I know there are other things you'd rather be doing right now.” His eyes flitted to where her teenage son was, then he turned around and was gone.
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
An hour later found Trisha standing in front of the door to the back room. She hadn't expected the military men to step in and be so helpful. She had listened with a smile on her face as the young Major easily persuaded the boys to bathe after hearing part of a story about defending a flock of sheep from a wild cat.
 
There was no way the story could possibly be true, but the telling of it was interesting and hilarious. The Major had stopped half way through, threatening the boys that they wouldn't hear the rest of it until they were clean and in their pajamas.
 
The brunette woman shook her head. It was obvious that the younger of the two men felt quite comfortable around children, while the older man wasn't exactly sure what to do with them. Again, she compared what she had observed about the two men. It was hard to believe they were the same person.
 
The older man was a little more stiff and formal, and he seemed to have a lazy streak too. He was more knowledgeable, more sober and mature in the way he presented himself. The Colonel also seemed to pick up on things rather quickly.
 
The younger man, though quick to let his temper flare at the older man's jabs, had a more relaxed air around him. He had more of an innocence to him than the older man, and still knew how to be playful. She could also tell he had a lot of pride, and didn't want to be a burden to anyone.
 
But no matter their differences, it seemed to her that they were good men.
 
Trisha frowned, and wondered how someone could change so much in just eight years. She sighed and put her hand on the door knob. She'd probably never find out.
 
Turning the knob, she let herself quietly into the room, but the teenager sitting on the floor heard her anyway and looked up from the large, heavy book he'd been reading. It was the book from earlier. When their eyes met, he smiled impishly and said, “So can I come out now?”
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
Trisha sat down on the square slab of cement that was their front porch and looked over as Ed did the same. She watched him lift the heavy book and look at it for a moment before dropping it onto the ground. The book made a soft thudding sound as it made contact with the dirt.
 
He looked over at her then glanced back down at the book. Sighing, she gazed up at the star filled sky; the moon, a small sliver in the sky. The air was alive with the sound of crickets… She looked back at Ed and smiled softly. Despite it being summer, a cool evening breeze blew, making that one stubborn lock of hair that stuck up on her son's head dance in a swaying motion.
 
The brunette woman couldn't help but think, once again, how much like his father the boy looked. She let her eyes wander over the blond braid the boy kept, wondering how it would look in a ponytail, just like her husband usually wore his.
 
Then her gaze touched his clothes and she frowned. He was wearing so much black. It was rather depressing… Black leather pants, a black silver lined jacket, a black undershirt, and heavy black boots…
 
And then of course there was the long red coat with the strange symbol on the back…
 
Trisha shook her head.
 
It had to be some sort of strange teenage thing…
 
But then she'd never seen any of the other teenagers that lived in Rizembool wear such odd, outlandish clothing.
 
The silence between them was becoming oppressive and uncomfortable, so she said, “How is Alphonse?”
 
There was a slight jerk of the shoulders, then a pause before he answered, still not looking at her, “Oh well… He's doing okay… I mean, I just saw him right before I was brought here…”
 
Trisha frowned at his hesitant and vague answer.
 
“Is he healthy? I mean, is he okay physically?”
 
The blond teenager glanced briefly at her, a guilty look in his eye, before looking back down and said, “Yeah… He has great stamina… He can run farther and faster and longer than I can… and he's ….” A pause, then some muttering before the boy continued. “... and he's… taller… than me…”
 
She chuckled slightly. Her poor Edward had always been sensitive about his height. Trisha reached out a hand and gave the teen a small half hug. “Well, you've gotten much taller too. I'm sure you'll out grow Alphonse someday.” Truthfully, she wasn't sure that Ed would ever outgrow his younger brother, but she knew her son liked hearing it, and it was her job as a mother to see to it that her children had smiles on their faces.
 
Ed looked at her ruefully and said, “I don't know. Al's gotten pretty tall…”
 
Trisha smiled and gave him another squeeze. Ed turned a little, but looked somewhat hesitant. Luckily for the teenager, Trisha knew her sons pretty well. She patted her lap, knowing that he wanted more contact with her. A sheepish look filled his face and he laid on his side, letting his head fall into her lap.
 
Truthfully, it seemed a rather odd thing. Ed was fifteen now, but the yearning look in his eyes had told her that he desperately wanted her to let him be near her. Trisha lifted a hand and gently stroked his golden blond hair.
 
The silence was no longer oppressive, but strangely comforting.
 
She started to rub his right arm, but when he stiffened and moved it away she moved her hand down the fabric of his coat and rubbed what part of his back that she could reach.
 
Suddenly her eyes touched on a heavy silver chain that led from Ed's wide brown belt down to his pocket. A large lump in the fabric of the pocket made the leather stretch tightly over something round…
 
Curious, she lifted her hand and touched the cool metal of the chain. Trisha felt the teenager's body tense again, but when she began to pull on the chain, he made no move to stop her. After a moment, a silver pocket watch emerged from his pocket. The brunette lifted it in her hands. It was heavy and warm from Ed's body heat. She ran a finger over the smooth metal of the watch then turned it over. Her eyes widened when she saw the military symbol on the other side. Trisha touched the symbol lightly with one finger.
 
This was the watch of a State Alchemist.
 
“Edward…” She began hesitantly. Trisha couldn't believe that this watch could possibly rightfully belong to her son. “Where did you get this?” She hoped that he would tell her that he'd bought it, or stolen it. Better for him to have taken something that wasn't his than to have become a dog…
 
But there was no answer to her question. The teenager sighed and sat up, taking the watch gently from her hands and holding it in his own. When the brunette's eyes met her son's golden ones, she saw a maturity there that she hadn't seen before. Not only that, but determination and pain mixed with shame.
 
The blond teen depressed the button at the top of the watch and looked at the inside for a long moment before snapping the lid shut. Letting his hand fall heavily to his lap, Ed whispered painfully, “I earned it.”
 
She gasped softly.
 
No…
 
Not her little boy…
 
Not her Edward…
 
Tears pricked at her eyes as she watched his head slowly lower in self-disgust. Her son's eyes closed and a single tear rolled gently down his smooth cheek.
 
Trisha felt a pain deep in her chest. It was as if someone had reached inside and squeezed her heart until there was nothing left. Her breath was labored and her vision was blurring with tears. A vision came to her mind of her little seven year old Edward fighting desperately in a horrific battle with men dying all around him.
 
No…
 
This Edward was fifteen, not seven years old, not her baby boy…
 
But he was her baby.
 
And he was only fifteen.
 
How could the military be so heartless to bring a little boy into their ranks?
 
When she couldn't hold back the pain any longer, a mournful sob burst from her and the tears which had been accumulating in her eyes ran rivulets down her face. Trisha squeezed her eyes shut and buried her head in her hands.
 
“Mom…” Came a shaky, heavyhearted plea. “Mom… please don't cry…”
 
She blindly reached over, grabbing a hold of his coat, and pulled the boy close. Trisha felt a hand gently rub her back as if to comfort her.
 
“Please…” He whispered brokenly.
 
His sorrowful tone did nothing to soothe her however and she only cried harder.
 
Her baby.
 
Her precious little boy…
 
State Alchemists were dogs… dogs that would viciously attack whatever the state commanded them to.
 
Living weapons…
 
“I'm sorry…” Ed whispered, his voice full of distress and anguish. “I'm so sorry for everything…”
 
“No.” Trisha whispered back as she finally was able to calm a little. “No… It's not your fault….”
 
An agonizing sob wrenched from the teenager. “Yes it is… It's all my fault… everything… you just don't know…”
 
She held him close, his tortured cries breaking her heart. With tears streaming down her face, she rocked him back and forth, humming a small tune. They sat there on the stone porch for a long time.
 
Neither speaking.
 
The only sounds were from the crickets and the soft sounds of their grief.
 
How long they sat there that way, they didn't know.
 
Finally, Ed said, “I'm sorry… I never wanted to make you sad. We should have told you earlier…”
 
It was then that something clicked in Trisha's brain and she pulled out of the embrace.
 
“We?”
 
The boy blinked in confusion and stared at her for a moment before understanding dawned in his eyes. “Yeah… Me… and the Colonel…”
 
“You know that man?”
 
He swallowed hard and nodded.
 
“Well, that certainly does explain a few things…” She muttered, thinking of how the Colonel had looked at her son.
 
“What do you mean?” He asked in confusion.
 
When she told him of the looks she had noticed, Ed blushed and looked away.
 
This reaction made something else click in her brain and cold prickles touched her skin. “How well do you know him…?” She asked suspiciously.
 
The blond boy rubbed the back of his neck and kept his eyes from looking toward her. “Pretty well…” He whispered in embarrassment.
 
The sorrow she had been feeling at learning her teenage son was in service to the state began to heat slowly into rage. “Define `pretty well'.”
 
When he said nothing, she asked tightly, “Has that man been… intimate… with you?” She couldn't bring herself to ask if they'd had sex. The words were too blunt…
 
Deep red filled his face and neck and he nodded in obvious humiliation.
 
Rage turned to white hot fury as she realized that, not only was her son chained to the military like a dog on a leash, but he was being used for someone else's pleasure.
 
Trisha stood up quickly and slammed the door open. Storming into the house, she could hear the teenager call after her, “Wait, let me explain!” But she couldn't wait…
 
No one touches her son like that!
 
No one!
 
In a livid rage, Trisha threw open the door to the study where a surprised Colonel looked up from where he was standing in front of a bookcase.
 
“Mrs. Elric? Is something…?” The Colonel began, but cut off when a she slapped him.
 
“How dare you!” She yelled.
 
The dark haired man blinked and put a hand to his face. “I'm sorry, what…” But another slap cut off what he was about to say.
 
Suddenly, she heard Ed rush into the room. “Wait!” He yelled, but she ignored him.
 
“How dare you touch my son!” She asked and tried to hit him again, but he stepped back.
 
“Mom! Please, let me just explain!”
 
When the Colonel looked up to where her son was she hit him again, as hard as she could. This time he gave out a cry of pain. “You lecherous pervert! How dare you use my Edward to satisfy your primal urges!” Trisha tried to hit him again, but he caught her arm and held it away from his face.
 
“Mrs. Elric, please calm down.” The man said in a commanding voice, but she was having none of that and pounded on his chest with one of her fists.
 
“You stay away from my son! Is that why the military let a little boy become a State Alchemist? So that he could be taken advantage of by people like you?”
 
“Mrs. Elric, that is definitely not what I had in mind when I suggested he become a State Alchemist.”
 
Trisha gasped and her eyes widened.
 
He suggested?
 
He?
 
Screaming incoherently, Trisha tried to hit him again. Not only was this man taking advantage of her son's innocence, but he was also the one who directed him to the military in the first place!
 
She had to protect her little boy from this man! Pain and anger raced through her as she tried desperately to free herself from his grip…
 
;-;-;-;-;-;-;
 
Major Mustang snapped awake instantly when he heard the screaming downstairs. Untangling himself from the two little boys who had fallen asleep during his stories, he rushed out of the room, and down the stairs.
 
When Roy saw the blond teenager, he rushed toward him, but the boy paid him no mind and instead yelled, “Mom!” Before running into the room.
 
When Roy got to the doorway and looked inside the study, he was surprised to see Ed holding one of his mother's arms and the Colonel holding the other. He walked into the room and was about to say something when the woman yelled, “I'm going to report you! Somehow I will! You pedophile! You sleazy, dirty, degenerate, despicable, excuse for a man! How dare you take advantage of my little boy?”
 
Roy's eyes widened as he took in the situation with new understanding.
 
“Mom, pleeeeaaase! It isn't like that!” The boy yelled.
 
I don't believe it... Roy thought. He's screwing that kid... His own subordinate... It all made sense. No wonder the older man had seemed so jealously protective over the younger alchemist.
 
“Mom!” The teen yelled, trying to get her to listen to him. “I love him mom!”
 
At those words the brunette woman froze and looked at the blond with anguish in her eyes.
 
“I love him…” Ed whispered again, a tormented look on his face.
 
Suddenly, Roy heard a small whimpering noise, and he looked down to realize the two little boys had woken up and come to see what was happening. The older blond was hugging his sandy haired younger brother tightly as they watched the scene play out.
 
Roy crouched down beside the boys and put his arms around them, and looked back up to the drama on the other side of the room.
 
The brunette woman's arms fell limply to her sides as the other two let go of them. She looked from Ed to the older Roy in disbelief and shock before a sob burst from her.
 
“Mom…” Ed whispered, and reached out a hand, but before he could touch her, she turned blindly away and staggered out of the room. Roy could hear her make her way up the stairs.
 
For a moment there was silence in the room except for the whimpering of the two little boys. “Mommy…” little Alphonse mewled. Seven year old Edward hugged the boy tightly and Roy could see tears shimmering in the golden orbs, but he was obviously trying to be brave in the face of this scary new development.
 
Roy pulled both of the boys closer and whispered that things would be okay before looking up at the older Ed and Roy.
 
The teenager was staring dejectedly at nothing as tears ran silently down his cheeks. The Colonel, whose face bore a couple of red handprints, sighed and put a hand on the blond's shoulder.
 
“Ed…” He whispered.
 
The teenager shrugged away the gesture with a muttered, “fuck off… bastard…”, but the older man just stepped forward and took the boy in his arms.
 
Roy had to admit, his older double had nerve. He certainly wouldn't have been able to try again after he'd been rejected like that.
 
“Ed… What happened?” The older Roy whispered again. “What did you tell her?”
 
The blond boy's arms which had been hanging limply at his sides, rose slowly and held tightly to the dark haired man's military jacket before a tormented sob broke from him.
 
As much as Roy would have loved to know what the hell was going on, he thought it best to give them some privacy, and the two little boys needed to be reassured.
 
“Come on.” He whispered to the small boys. “Let's go back upstairs.”
 
They looked unsure, but when Roy offered to carry them up, the children each put their arms around his neck. With one last glance at the older doubles, Roy lifted the boys up and carried them back upstairs.
 
 
 
1 - The manga says that Roy grew up in the east and it also makes reference to him being a `country bumpkin', so I'll just make a few assumptions here for the sake of the story, although nothing is said for sure about that part of Roy's past.
 
 
PLEASE REVIEW! Remember, happy authors update quicker.