Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Her Knight In Shining Armor ❯ The War Within ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own the characters Ed, Al, Winry or the basis for their past history. They belong to the creators of Full Metal Alchemist. I also don't own any of the fairytales mentioned. I don't own much of anything…
Warning: There will be some references made to the show. It won't give away anything about the ending… I don't think… Anyway there will be threats of rape and murder. Not too vivid though.
There will also be spelling mistakes due to where Lorna originates from. I allowed some spelling error because it's words she would use. And I don't want any flames on it. I'm from where she's from so I just had her speak the way I do!
Chapter Twenty Three: The War Within
`The kisses were real. The love was real.'
I shook my head, `No it's a game he's been playing with my heart.' I looked up at the sky.
`Then let him keep playing.' My heart begged.
`No, I'm not a toy. He… It can't just use me like that!'
My mind and heart were at war with one another. I wasn't a game piece to be moved at the player's will.
`My knight in shining armor.' My mind scoffed, `And there ain't a knight inside. I would only get the armor.'
I glanced over my shoulder. The suit was following with its' head down.
`Go to him.' My heart cried. `He needs you.'
Another tear rolled down my face. `No, he ain't even real.'
My thoughts went back to the old story, `Beauty loved the beast, and he wasn't human.'
Tears began to pour like rain, `But she'd knew from the start.'
My heart spoke up again, `The soul is what sets humans apart from the animals of the world.' I'd heard that somewhere in church. But they'd never covered what a soul without a body was. `Perhaps that's enough to make him human.'
My logical side was ready to contest this. `No. A living organism must; be able to sense changes in the environment, grow and develop. Lastly it must be able to reproduce, or else there would be no continuation of the species.' That had been drilled into our by the anatomy teacher. Al, or rather that armor, couldn't do any of those things.
`That only makes something alive, it doesn't make it human.' My heart argued.
My head was starting to ache. It seemed that I was being split in two. One half was controlled by love and the other by logic.
Absent mindedly I reached to my twist my ring. I looked down, to my horror one of the roses had broken off. `Perhaps in the fall?'
I stopped walking and looked back to the woods which were now far in the distance. The armor also turned to look.
“I lost it.” I whispered, knowing I'd never be able to find it again.
The suit turned to me, “What did you loose?”
I held up my hand to let it see the ring. It studied the rubies for a moment then said, “I can fix it, when we get back to the house.”
I nodded then turned and began walking again. `He ain't dead.' My heart told me. `But he may as well be.' My logical side could really be pessimistic at times.
We made it back to the house only a few hours before sunset.
“Back so soon?” Edward joked as I climbed the stairs.
I didn't answer, just went into my room and closed the door. I leaned back against it wearily.
“What happened?” I heard Ed ask.
“I fell and hit a tree.” It was Al's broken voice that spoke now. “My helmet came off.”
There was a long pause. “She took it badly?” His brother questioned.
Al must have nodded because I didn't hear his response.
I moved to the closet and took out my backpack. I stuffed my papers inside as the tears poured down. I had to get away for a while, had to think.
Next I grabbed my suitcase and started throwing clothes in it. I reached in the top drawer and pulled some out quickly.
Hearing a small clank, I turned to see the red stone lying on the floor. I picked up the necklace and put it on tucking it under my shirt.
Looking around the room again I saw the statue of Al that Winry had made. I frowned deeply but shoved it in the bag. The flowers Winry and Ed had made just fit into my suitcase. I threw the blanket over my shoulder.
`That's everything.' I thought giving the room another once over. I didn't have room for the bathroom supplies. I'd buy new, just as I always had. With my boots on my feet and my running shoes in my backpack I was ready to go. I'd buy the things for summer after it warmed up again.
I turned to leave the room. Winry stood in the doorway. “Where are you going?” Her voice quivered.
“I gotta go. I need time to think.” I wasn't sure what to do next. She had been a friend but in a way betrayed me. “I'll call, when I find a place.” I hugged her neck as she started crying.
“Please don't go. You and Al can work things out.” She sobbed not letting me go.
“No, not here. I gotta be alone for a while. Get my thoughts together.” I pulled away. “I promise I'll call.”
With that I moved past her and walked downstairs. Ed was standing by the front door.
There was a fire in his eyes I'd never seen before. “So that's it? You just break Al's heart and leave?”
“Don't you think I'm hurting too?” I forced, holding back tears, “I've been here how long? And none of you ever once bothered to say a thing!”
“He needs you!” Ed had his hands gripping my arms tightly. “You can't leave him now!”
“I have to think Ed.” I wanted so much to slap him hard, for not understanding. “My world's been torn down in one day! I need time to think. Then I'll come back and we'll talk.”
Ed shook his head, “Fine go, but don't expect to just come walking back into this house like nothing happened. Don't think I care about what happens to you because I don't!” He was bluffing now, I could tell, trying to trick me into staying.
Out of compassion or bullheadedness I couldn't say but I hugged him. “I'll be back.” I whispered turning loose and walking out the door.
I stopped a moment seeing Al standing there looking out over the yard. “You won't be back Lorna.” He said softly. “But I still love you.”
I couldn't find the words I needed. Couldn't tell him what I'd told the others. “I'll call.” Was all I could say.
I walked away from that house with a broken heart. All my hopes for the future were now a pile of dust under my feet. I got on the train and headed back to Lakeside. It was a large city, and I could loose myself there.
Author's notes
Ed: So that's just it? You're letting Lorna leave?
Joy: Well… yeah… Al you okay?
Al: ...
Ed: What do you think? Of course he's not!
Winry: Sob What happens now? sob
Joy: Well the readers follow her back to Lakeside…