Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ I Hope You Dance ❯ I Hope You Dance ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
I Hope You Dance
A SongFic by Sarah of DarkAngelsTears
Full Metal Alchemist is owned by Hiromu Arakawa and I Hope You Dance is owned by Lee Ann Womack
---
Trisha Elric gasped in wonder. She lay on a bed in the house of Mary Anne Pinako after giving birth to her firstborn son, and was seeing him for the first time. "Oh, Mary! He's beautiful!" Trisha said, when Mary Anne brought to her the tiny baby wrapped in a small yellow towel. The baby was smaller then most, and was sprouting thick blonde hair. It looked up at Trisha with a wondering gaze, then broke into a smile that lit up the room. Trisha smiled back at him, barely able to contain her immortal joy. "What shall you name him, Trisha?" Mary Anne asked her. Trisha looked down fondly at her baby boy. He looked back at his mother with a wicked sparkle in his eye. He grabbed Trisha's thumb with his tiny little hand and stuck it in his mouth, sighing contentedly. Trisha laughed. "Edward." The baby looked up at his mother. "Welcome to the world, Edward Elric"

I hope you never lose your sense of wonder
You get your fill to eat
But always keep that hunger
May you never take one single breath for granted
God forbid love ever leave you empty handed
I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Trisha watched her little Eddy grow with pride. She bragged when he said his first words, took his first step, and learned to read. She watched him and took care of him as she would a delicite flower. Trisha did everything she could to encourage him, helping him along at sometimes, while at others she merely watched, bursting with pride. She played with him, sang with him, read with him, and introduced him to Mary Anne's granddaughter Winry. Trisha could barely stop grinning at Ed's crazy antics. But she couldn't stop thinking how much he was like his father, with his same blatent disregarde for rules, same mischevious smile, same affectionate hugs. Sometimes... Ed was a little too much like his father. But still, Trisha encouraged him and wished nothing more then for him to suceed.

I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Living might mean taking chances
But they're worth taking
Lovin' might be a mistake
But it's worth making
Don't let some hell bent heart
Leave you bitter
When you come close to selling out
Reconsider
Give the heavens above
More than just a passing glance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
I hope you dance
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

When Ed first tried alchemy, Trisha thought she would burst with pride. He was so much like his father, but so much better! Ed was sweet, hardworking, michevious and innocent. He was a mothers dream, and Trisha thought that if she didn't live another day, she would be fufilled simply for having raised him this far. She loved him and Al with all her heart. They were her pride and joy, the light of her life, the reason for her being. At night, Trisha would go quietly into their rooms and sing to them, softly telling them how proud she was of them, and how much she loved them.

But then came that fateful day when disease struck her down. Trisha fought hard against the sickness, but in the end it was too much for her. "Ed, be a dear and transmute something for me. A flower chain, maybe. You see.. he.. always used to.. make them for me.." Trisha said with her last breath. Her soul wandered from her body and watched the boys mourn. It broke Trisha's ghostly heart to see them in so much pain. And so she promised to follow them forever, silently singing her song...


I hope you still feel small
When you stand beside the ocean
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens
Promise me you'll give faith a fighting chance

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
Dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance
(Time is a real and constant motion always)
I hope you dance
(Rolling us along)
I hope you dance
(Tell me who)
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
I hope you dance
(Where those years have gone)

(Tell me who)
(Wants to look back on their youth and wonder)
(Where those years have gone)

"Don't worry, my little Ed." Trisha whispered on the night of the Chimera's cry. She ran her fingers through his hair once again. "I'll always be here for you..."


---

Fin.
Converting /tmp/phpvjviAG to /dev/stdout