Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Loss ❯ Loss ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Loss
 
Disclaimer: FMA copyright not me.
Warning: Scar x Al, although nothing actually happens… gwa ha ha.
 
He was different from Fullmetal. He was kind and understanding, but very strong—whereas Fullmetal was brash and stubborn. I couldn't stand Edward Elric, but I loved his little brother.
 
Al didn't know my feelings, and I wasn't about to confess them. Ever since I talked to him at Lab Five, I haven't been able to put him out of my mind. His body was a cold hunk of metal, but his heart—his soul—was more human than any person's I had known.
 
When I saw him in the sewer, I was more than a little surprised. He responded angrily when I spoke to him—it was righteous antipathy, ingrained in him by his brother. But his antipathy didn't last. His brother had upset him and so he had left, and he was more preoccupied with that than the serial murderer who had tried to kill aforementioned older brother several times. The way my heart had swelled at that betrayed that I wanted him to stay with us—with me—in this cramped, dripping sewer.
 
Al was genuinely concerned when the kid was taken. I didn't expect anything less from the younger Elric. He was anxious to save him, to protect him. It was a bold rescue attempt, but I wasn't worried. Al could hold his own against nearly anyone, especially a couple of petty kidnappers out to make a quick buck.
 
In the end, though, Al did get into a spot of trouble, and I wasn't around to help him. Anxiety had flooded through me when I realized that I might lose Al. There was a sudden, sick pain in the pit of my stomach—I couldn't lose him. It would hurt too much, whether I wanted to admit it or not.
 
But then Fullmetal rushed in to save the day. He rescued his brother and ensured the return of his steadfast love. Once again, Al was his.
 
“I'm leaving,” I told Fullmetal later that night. “Take care of Al.” The state alchemist was puzzled, but he nodded anyway. He wouldn't question me, I knew.
 
I left the next day. The Elric brothers were happy again—they were the content, loving brothers that everyone knew. And I realized that what I had most feared the night before had come to pass. Unexpectedly, I hadn't lost Al to death, but to Edward Elric, the Fullmetal Alchemist.