Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Misspoken ❯ Advice ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
 
Misspoken
 
III
 
Advice
 
 
“Lieutenant?”
 
The blonde woman going through the filing cabinet looked up at him and said levelly, “Yes, colonel?”
 
Roy rubbed at his chin before leaning back against the wall trying to figure out the best way to ask what he wanted to know. “If you thought someone liked you, but you didn't know for sure, how would you go about finding out?”
 
Lieutenant Hawkeye stared at him flatly and said, “I would ask them,” before turning back to the filing cabinet.
 
You would... he thought blandly. Riza Hawkeye was straight forward enough that he really could see her doing that. “Yes, well... What if you wanted to find out without making it seem like you were trying to find out?” he pressed
 
She made a sound of irritation and looked back at him. “Sir, with all due respect, helping you with your love life is not in my job description. If you have something work related you'd like to ask, then I would be happy to talk to you about it, but right now I'm rather busy...” She turned her attention back to the filing cabinet and started flipping through some papers.
 
Roy folded his arms and tapped his fingers against the sleeves of his uniform jacket. It wasn't like he could go to just anyone for advice on this... “I'm asking you because you have...” He stopped and tried to think of a tactful way of saying it. “You have experience in this sort of thing...”
 
Hawkeye slowly turned back toward him and said blandly, “Excuse me?”
 
Feeling slightly embarrassed, Roy looked down and muttered, “It's a guy...”
 
“You want to go out with a guy? I didn't know you swung that way...” Roy's head snapped up in time to see her surprised expression before she smoothed it away.
 
“I don't!” he said quickly, then continued at a more normal pace, “There's just... someone who I think is interested in me and I'd like to know for sure, that's all.” He gave her a sheepish look. “And well, you know... you...” He moved his hand in a small twirling gesture. “You kind of live that scene... so...”
 
She pressed her lips together and folded her arms. Ignoring his reference to her sexual preference, Hawkeye said, “And if you find out that this guy likes you, what do you plan on doing about it?”
 
Roy looked away in thought. What did he plan on doing about it if he learned Fullmetal liked him like that? Go out with him? Roy envisioned dressing up and bringing flowers as he picked the kid up for a date. A romantic dinner with candles and after... No... It just didn't seem quite right. He turned his gaze back to her and said, “I don't know... I just don't want to be left wondering.”
 
Hawkeye shook her head. “I don't know if that is a very good reason, colonel. I've never known you to be interested in any guy before, and if you take the effort to find out if this one likes you... It could send the wrong signals to that person. Do you understand? This guy might actually think he has a chance when he doesn't. I think it would be a little cruel to do that, don't you?”
 
Roy frowned in thought. He hadn't thought of that. “I just don't see myself dating a guy,” he said, more to himself than to Hawkeye.
 
“Why?”
 
He looked up. “What?”
 
“Why not date a guy?” she asked with a serious look on her face. Of course to her it was no big deal to date someone of the same sex, but...
 
“Well...” He shifted uncomfortably on his feet. “It would just be strange. What kind of a date does a guy have with another guy? I don't know. With women, it's flowers or candy, then maybe dancing and a romantic dinner, but I don't see doing that with another man...”
 
“Then don't,” she said.
 
“What do you mean?”
 
Leaning against the filing cabinet, Hawkeye said, “You don't even have to go on a `date'. Look, colonel, if you really must know if this guy likes you, see if he wants to go hang out. That's not a date, simply hanging out. I mean, I'm assuming you know this person so it's not just someone off the street, right?” When he nodded, she continued, “Well, there you go.”
 
“But, I don't usually hang out with this person,” he said lamely.
 
She made a sound of exasperation and shook her head, “You're not that inept. Really... Just go get a drink with this person or take a few minutes to talk to him... You'll think of something. You're making this into too big of a deal.” She pushed away from the cabinet, grabbed a folder and smacked it against his chest. “Since you obviously have so much time on your hands, would you mind looking over this?”
 
“Actually, I'm busy...” he lied, not particularly thrilled with the idea of doing extra work.
 
She gave him a flat stare. “No, you're not.”
 
Grumbling, Roy took the folder and looked down at it. “Thanks a lot...” he muttered.
 
“You're welcome. Consider it equivalent exchange.”
 
--
 
Aaaaand there ya go. The elusive chapter three! haha. Hope you liked it!
 
--
 
Please Review!