Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Misspoken ❯ Confrontation ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
Misspoken
 
XVII
 
Confrontation
 
Roy's head snapped up as the door to his office slammed open. After years of Ed making this type of entrance, he already had a retort ready for whatever was coming. That retort died as he saw that his loud guest wasn't Ed at all.
 
It was Alphonse.
 
Shutting the door behind him, Al strode up to the desk and said, “Can we talk, Colonel?” His voice was polite, but it had an undercurrent of anger that made the tone tight and strained.
 
Setting aside his work, Roy leaned back in his chair and stared at Al. He wasn't exactly sure what was going to happen. It had been almost a week since his and Ed's `date' and he hadn't seen Ed at all since then. But perhaps that had been for the best. It had given Roy a lot of time to sift through the confusion that was his life right now.
 
“Alright,” Roy said cautiously. “What can I do for you?”
 
Folding his arms, Alphonse said, “Do you like my brother?” It was a strong demand. If Alphonse could change his facial features, Roy supposed his eyebrows would be knit together and lips pressed in a deep scowl.
 
“I like him well enough,” Roy said vaguely. This was not a subject he wanted to discuss with Ed's younger brother. It was one that he wanted to discuss with Ed himself. It was only right that Ed get the information first hand.
 
“I mean,” Al pressed. “Do you like him the same way you might like a woman?”
 
“Women are a different breed than men, Alphonse. No one can like them the same. One can like them just as much, but differently,” Roy said, again evading the question.
 
Alphonse was obviously not pleased with this answer and moved closer to the desk where he leaned over, resting his palms against the cheap wood. “Colonel...” Al said quietly. “If you don't like my brother, then you had better tell him.” It sounded almost like a threat.
 
“I never said I didn't like him,” Roy countered.
 
To this, Al just stared at him in mute consideration. After a long moment of silence, Al pronounced, “You're playing with him.”
 
Roy shook his head. “I'm not.”
 
“You are! You're stringing him along for your own selfish reasons!” Al said angrily. Roy raised an eyebrow. Apparently this was a sore subject for him...
 
“Alphonse...” Roy said, trying to soothe the boy. “You've never been in a relationship. You don't understand the complexities here. There are a lot of things to think about and—”
 
“Maybe you're right,” Al said, cutting him off. “I've never been in a relationship. Maybe I never will...” There was pain in that statement, but he continued on, voice strong and determined. “But, I do know that there has to be respect, and you're not giving that to my brother. He doesn't know what to believe. He really likes you, but it's just some sort of game to you, isn't it!” It wasn't a question.
 
“No...” Roy said, frowning now. He really had thought a lot about Ed, but he didn't like rushing in or out of anything major if he could help it. What he'd meant to be a little prodding to see if Ed liked him had quickly plummeted out of control into what was happening now. He was trying to catch up; trying to figure himself out... trying to decide...
 
“All he thinks about is you,” Al said suddenly, and there was no mistaking the jealous frustration.
 
“Al,” Roy began.
 
“Tell him you don't like him!” Al demanded, and Roy realized this was only partially about him treating Ed well. The other part had to do with how Al felt. The two brothers hadn't had anyone else to trust or lean on but each other. They were in a difficult situation, but they were in it together. Their thoughts and goals were always focused on each other, but now...
 
“But what if I do like him?” Roy asked quietly.
 
Al stood up straight and looked down at him for a moment, then glanced away. “Then you should tell him... Just... Just tell him something...”
 
Sacrifice.
 
Al was willing to sacrifice part of what he viewed as his, for his brother's happiness. It made Roy feel ashamed of his own selfishness.
 
After a long moment of silence, Roy said quietly, “Tell Ed I want to see him in my office tomorrow at noon.” Al looked at him, and Roy said, “But don't tell him why. Just tell him I want to see him.” A pause. “Please.”
 
There was a moment of silence before Al nodded. “Okay...” Another moment of silence. “What... what are you going to tell him?”
 
Roy stared at the younger Elric brother for a long time, then glanced away and said quietly, “I don't know...”