Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Sick ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist—it belongs to Arakawa Hiromu.
 
When Edward Elric came in to Roy Mustang's office, pale and tired-looking, Roy paid no attention at first, even when the boy didn't slam the door as usual—it wasn't uncommon for the Fullmetal Alchemist to be worn out. It was in his nature, after all, to run himself ragged looking after other people.
 
So Roy just surveyed the alchemist in front of him, creating a bridge with his hands and propping up his chin. “You have your report, I trust, Fullmetal?”
 
Ed pulled out a piece of paper, on which many scribbles, crossed-out words, and overall messiness could be seen, and handed it to Roy. At this closer distance, Roy could see the shadows under Ed's eyes were darker than he'd originally thought.
 
“Have a seat, Fullmetal,” Roy said.
 
Fullmetal sat, unusually quickly, on the leather couch. A brief—and barely visible—look of relief crossed his face, and Roy could see a faint sheen of sweat on his brow. The boy looked at Roy, waiting for the latter to speak.
 
It was best to get straight to the point, Roy decided, since Fullmetal obviously wasn't feeling well. “How long have you been sick?” He looked straight at Ed.
 
Fullmetal looked away and didn't answer.
 
“Tell me,” said Roy.
 
“Since yesterday.” Ed didn't meet his eyes, still staring at the carpet, hunched over in his cloak.
 
“And why isn't Alphonse keeping you at home?”
 
“Al doesn't know,” Ed replied, meeting Roy's eyes. His own golden eyes, as tired as they were, had some kind of fierce pleading look to them.
 
Roy nodded. “Fine. Go home and get some bed rest. You're dismissed.”
 
Ed stood. Roy didn't miss the slight vertigo that made the boy sway a little as he bowed and left the room, closing the door instead of slamming it again.
 
A few minutes later, Roy looked over Ed's report—as he had expected, the mission was vaguely outlined, but about forty percent of the actual test was ranting, insults, and complaints, all written in the boy's messy left-handed scrawl.
 
He sighed, staring out the window. As he was getting out of his chair—he needed a break, anything to get away from paperwork—Riza entered his office.
 
“Sir, it's Fullmetal,” she said. “Shortly after leaving the building, Feury saw him collapse.”
 
“Where is he now?” asked Roy, surprised. Fullmetal hadn't seemed that sick…
 
“Feury and Falman are bringing him up here now,” said Riza.
 
“Thank you, Hawkeye,” said Roy, and at that moment, Feury and Falman entered, Ed suspended between them. The State Alchemist was unconscious. “Put him on the couch,” Roy ordered, and Feury and Falman did just that.
 
Roy dismissed the two men, and asked Hawkeye to get a bowl of cool water and a washcloth when he discovered that Ed was burning up. He then dismissed her as well and sat in his chair, watching Ed sleep, alternately coughing and shivering.
 
Roy was just deciding to call Alphonse—he didn't know, after all, about his brother's condition, and didn't deserve to be kept in the dark—when Ed woke up, his eyes now glassy as he took in his surroundings.
 
“What the hell am I doing here?” he demanded as he realized where he was.
 
“You passed out a little while after leaving,” Roy informed him. “I'm going to call Alphonse and have im pick you up—you can't walk home, and I can't spare anyone to go with you.”
 
Ed looked like he was going to protest, but he didn't.
 
“For now, sleep,” Roy advised. “”You look like you need it.” Ed's eyes remained open, and Roy used his tried-and-true approach. “That's an order, Fullmetal.”
 
“Bastard,” muttered Ed, but his eyes shut and he drifted off to sleep.
 
End