Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Chemicals Between Us ❯ The Chemicals Between Us ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
InvincibleInuYasha: Okay. Don't feel like writing too much, so I'm just writing a songfic. Wachachacha!

Disclaimer: Full Metal Alchemist doesn't belong to me. Neither does the song The Chemicals Between Us. That belongs to the band Bush.


The Chemicals Between Us

Ed ran towards his mother, "Mother, look! Look what I made for you!" Trisha Elric knelt down, carefully balancing a basket of tomatoes on her lap, "Oh, it's lovely." She hugged him. Her son held up the gray, donkey-shaped figure proudly, "I made it with the alchemy figure I saw in one of the books I found." His mother sighed, "Ed, why couldn't you save me?" Ed asked, "Mother? What are you talking about?" Trisha's face seemed to be melting and her voice was hoarse, "Why didn't you make me perfect?" Ed shouted and tried to escape his mother's grasp, "Mom!"

I want you to remember,
A love so full it could send us always
I want you to surrender,
All my feelings rose today

Ed sharply sat up on his bed at Granny Pinako's house, gasping for air. Cold sweat was dripping from his face and chest. Once he shook the nightmare from his head, he took his head in his hands and whispered, "Mom..." He remembered that day. The day he and Al tried to resurrect their mother through the powers of alchemy. The day Al lost his body, and Ed lost his arm and leg. They were so excited, so happy. The light surrounded them and the materials they had prepared for their mother. They thought they had done what no grown-up could do. Then came the pain. The loss of more than their bodies, but the loss of their mother came along with their failure. Ed always remembered what he thought after the mess, 'No wonder it's forbidden.'

He endured the pain of the surgery for his auto mail. He didn't cry, and he tried not to scream. He knew that the pain must have been at least ten times worse for Al, having his soul ripped from his body. Their experiment was a failure. And they didn't want to do anything like that again for a long time.

And I want you to remain
The power of children can amaze
I'll try not to complain
I know that's a pisser baby

Ed slowly settled back down into bed. Then he fingered his silver alchemist watch. To think he got this far after committing such a horrible crime. His auto mail clinked as it touched the watch. He was glad Al wasn't there when he woke up. He was helping Winry finish some work by pulling a few all-nighters in the work shed. But if he had been with Ed, he wouldn't stop fussing over him. Ed didn't want Al to recall those memories. Alchemy can be very powerful, whether used correctly or not. One mistake could kill you. It almost killed Ed. All of the formulas and symbols. The chemicals and materials within everything, everybody.

The chemicals between us
The walls that lie between us
Lying in this bed
Chemicals displaced
There is no lonelier place
Than lying in this bed

Ed remembered when he saw the True Knowledge. The guardian of the gates had taken his arm and his leg as a passage fee. He said to remember everything. But it hurt so much. Ed remembered the pounding against his head as the information was crammed into his head.

I want you to remember
Everything you said
Every driven word
Like a hammer fell
To my head

Everything was complicated when it came to alchemy. If a chemical was added incorrectly, everything could go wrong. But state alchemists made it look so easy. People believed that you could clap your hands and limitless amounts of gold would appear right under your nose. But that's not how it worked when you're dealing with the laws.

The chemicals between us
The walls that lie between us
Lying in this bed
Chemicals displaced
There is no lonelier place
Than lying in this bed

Ed thought through the events of that day. Everyday he tried to reason what was wrong. He knew it was just him. He did it wrong. He couldn't make a human. Others have achieved, but only a few. He should have thought about the consequences. He should have taken the fact that he had a high chance of failing into consideration. He never meant to hurt anybody. He never wanted to. All he wanted was his mother back. He never meant to break the law, as long as his mother was returned to him. He blamed his father for his mother's death. He should have at least come to the funeral. But many friends came. But now they were all alone in the world. Ed and Al had nobody to depend on.

We're of the hollow men
We are the naked ones
We never meant you harm
We never meant you wrong
And I'd like to thank
All of my lovers lovers lovers

Ed sighed, "Mom can't come back. And I won't try to bring her back again. I just want to restore Al's body." He didn't feel as if he had broken the law, but more like he had broken his mother. The outcome of their experiment couldn't have even been called human, let alone their mother. He failed before, but he was determined to get Al's body back. There would be no more mistakes. He had sold himself to the military, allowed himself to be called a dog. But everybody in this army has succeeded somehow. They have all achieved great things by just meeting military standards. Though he hated to admit it, even to himself, he admired Colonel Roy's determination to achieve his goal to become Furor. He even admired Shou Tucker's success. Though he used tactics that Ed found disgusting and brutal, he did something. Ed wanted to succeed too. Joining the military was just a small step to finding the Philosopher's Stone, his true goal. But he was determined. He knew he'd find the Stone sooner or later, even if it killed him. He just felt guilty that Al lost so much, while he only lost an arm and a leg. Ed yawned and mumbled, "I'll get him back." Then he fell back to sleep. A dreamless sleep.

The chemicals between us
The army of achievers
Lying in this bed
The chemicals displaced
There is no lonelier face
Than lying in this bed
Chemicals
The chemicals between us



InvincibleInuYasha: How's that? I tried. Just thought this would be a good connection, You know, chemicals and alchemy. Plus, I love the song. This whole thing just takes place in Ed's room at Pinako's place. He's just thinking the whole time in case I confused you. ^o^ Review! It makes me happy!