Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Lunar Alchemist ❯ Lunar and Rainbow alchemists ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter eight
The Lunar and Rainbow Alchemist
 
“Wait, what? Lunar?” I asked curiously.
 
“You're a state alchemist Elle.” Roy smiled. “I would've told you sooner but I was told not to tell you until this whole thing was cleared up. The furher was rather impressed with your skills as well as your brothers. Seeing as your skills depend on the moon cycle, you are called the Lunar Alchemist.”
 
“Will Elle go on dangerous missions?” Mom asked.
 
“Of course I will mom. It's part of the territory.” I said.
 
“Elle will have a partner on all missions. Once she returns from her current mission you'll be able to meet her. She's seventeen and she's been here for a year. Elle will be well guided. Her name's Jyra and she's a good soldier.” Roy said. “But rest assured Elle won't go on any missions until a doctor says she's over the vertigo which we understand can be a while.”
 
“Where will she sleep?”
 
“In the dorms. Elle can stay with Edward and Alphonse.”
 
“Do dorms have three beds?”
 
“No only two beds.”
 
“Then one of us will be sleeping on the floor and I refuse to do that to them.” I said.
 
“I understand. I'll arrange a dorm for you ASAP.”
 
“Thanks Roy.” I added.
 
“No problem. You should rest.” Roy added.
 
“Not yet. I need to get my stuff.”
 
“Why don't you go with Jake? Your mom can get your things and you can stay in Xenotime until you're well again. Jut came and get your pocket watch before you leave.”
 
“Yes sir.” I said.
 
“Will you be Elle's superior officer?” Mom asked.
 
“Yes, I'm Ed, Elle, and Jyra's superior officer.” Roy added.
 
Jake gently picked me up and put me on his back and he carried me back to the hotel they stayed at with Nick and Kenny while Mom went with Roy to talk with him and to pick up my certificate and my pocket watch or id which had the state symbol on it.
 
The pocket watch would power up my transmutations. As you know, on a new moon my alchemy wouldn't even be able to transmute a penny. But with the pocket watch I would be able to do basic transmutations even on a new moon, which I would find out during my first mission, but we'll talk about that more later.
 
After a few days I was well enough to ride a train without getting extremely dizzy and so I boarded a train with Mom and the others to go to Xenotime and I kinda regretted it because I wanted to see my brothers and assure them I was really okay and not in front of a firing squad but I left Mom's phone number with Roy so he could have them call me and I'm sure my voice alone will calm them until I saw them again.
 
I talked to Ed a couple of days after I got back to Xenotime and when I told Ed that I was found not guilty he just released a huge sigh as if a bunch of stress was taken off his shoulder…wait that was a little…okay an extremely harmful pun…was taken off his shoulders. Al did the same too when I talked to him but I'm not even going there.
 
Anyway, it took about a month and a half to fully get over the vertigo so I decided to officially move out of Xenotime and return to central to start officially being the Lunar Alchemist, join up with Jyra, and start my perilous journey.
 
As my train pulled into Central Station I saw Al getting off another train on the other platform with Ed fast asleep in Al's arms.
 
“Al!” I called running over. “Is Ed alright?”
 
“Hey sis. He just has a bad chest cold and he's exhausted. I didn't want to wake him up.” Al said.
 
“I can help with that.” I said. “Come with me.” I added.
 
First we went to the dorms to drop Ed off and I left a note for Ed saying that I took Al to the market and we went into the pharmacy to get some really good congestion medicine, some honey tea, and I got a small jar of vapor rub and I could tell Al tried to look at me weirdly on that one.
 
“What's up Al?” I asked getting the vibe he was trying to throw.
 
“Alright, what the hell can vapor rub do for Brother?” Al asked in disbelief.
 
“Does he cough at night?”
 
“So bad he wakes up sometimes and it's hard for him to go back to sleep.”
 
“This will clear up his sinus so no mucus can go down his throat and irritate it. All Ed has to do is wear a tanktop, put this on his upper chest and throat and curl up under a blanket and he'll sleep easier.”
 
“How do you know that'll work?”
 
“When I get sick I get sick really bad. I know we're only fraternal twins but we're still twins so there has to be something similar about us expect for a few DNA strands. It can't hurt Ed to try.” I said pulling out my pocket watch to check the time but I was late for a meeting with Jyra and Mustang. “Crap!”
 
“What is it?”
 
“I was supposed to have a meeting with Roy a half hour ago.” I said.
 
“You're first mission?”
 
“Yeah. I'm supposed to meet Jyra. She's going to be my partner.” I added.
 
“Well go. I can bring these to Ed and buy them.” Al said and I headed of to Roy's office.
 
“I'll check on Ed later!” I called as I continued to run to Roy's office and when I got there let me tell you he was extremely pissed off.
 
“Elle, where were you?” Roy growled.
 
“I'm sorry sir. I'm usually prompt but Ed is ill so I was helping Al pick out some medicine for him. I thought I had longer than what I did my watch is behind.”
 
“You forgot about day light savings didn't you?”
 
“Yes sir.” I admitted. “Kids don't usually pay attention to that but I'll make sure I do from now on.” I said.
 
“I'll check on your brothers later. Please sit down and we'll get started.” Roy said calming down rather quickly which was a good thing. “Well Elle, this is Jyra. Jyra this is Elle.”
 
Jyra had black hair minus her bangs, which were dyed pink. She was around my height and she wore a black shirt with a transmutation circle on it in red and she wore blue jeans.
 
“Is the transmutation circle on your shirt the source of your alchemy?” I asked.
 
“No, I have gloves with a circle on them like Mustang does. I don't use them though unless I'm in the field otherwise I draw a transmutation circle.” Jyra explained. “What about you?”
 
“I have a necklace. Did Roy tell you my flaw?”
 
“About your transmutations? Yeah don't worry I'll have your back.” Jyra added. “So, you have brothers?”
 
“An older twin brother and a younger brother. My little brother's eleven. We're all orphans but I was adopted after my real father took me away from my family and abandoned me after he divorced my mother when I was nearly three years old.”
 
“We're still searching for Hohenhime.” Roy butted in. “We know he's out there some where.”
 
“And if I find him one day then I'll kill him and I'll be happy.” I smirked.
 
“Elle.” Roy said in a warning tone.
 
“Sorry about that. I just really hate my father for what he's done to my family.”
 
“Don't worry about it.” Jyra said. “My father was worse.”
 
“I don't think I want to ask. So Roy what's our mission?”
 
“All though Jyra has been a state alchemist for a year now, the fact that you just got over vertigo and you're a rookie also the higher ups decided to give you a rookie mission so Jyra can teach you the ropes better than if we were to give you guys a mission of her rank.”
 
“Also?” Jyra asked.
 
“My twin brother was accepted the same day I was.” I explained.
 
“You two will go to Lavic. There's a major controversy there.”
 
“Why need us then?”
 
“Supposabley it can lead to a civil war. An Alchemic civil war.” Roy said.
 
“Sure as hell doesn't seem to be at the beginner level. If we fail this town or whatever it is, is screwed.” I thought. “When do we leave?” I asked aloud.
 
“In the morning that way you guys have time to prepare.” Roy said. “Oh and before I forget Elle, Hughes wants you in the investigations department.”
 
“Which is where? All I know is the mess hall, my dorm and now your office.” I said.
 
“I'll show you.” Jyra said.
 
“Okay then.” I said unsurely.
 
Jyra led me to the investigations department and then she left me to talk to Hughes but I trust him so I wasn't worried at all. (However Breda and Havoc are another story and Armstrong is like a muscular Michael Jackson I think with his random mood swings.)
 
“Elle!” Hughes said when I found him. “How have you been?”
 
“I've been okay. Mustang said you wanted to see me?”
 
“Oh yeah, Gracia and I want to thank you and your brothers for helping Gracia give birth to Elysia.”
 
“I don't need any thanks. You two threw us our birthday party that's thanks enough.” I said. “I'm going to politely decline.”
 
“Please Elle. Ed and Al are going and Elysia will love to see you again.”
 
“I'm sorry. I leave on my first mission in the morning. I wish to prepare for it.” I added. “Excuse me sir.” I said as I headed out and I saw Ed and Al.
 
“Sis, are you going to Hughes' party?” Al asked.
 
“No. I don't want to impose and I have things I need to do.”
 
“Like what?”
 
“I'm going on a mission in the morning.” I said. “I'll see you guys later. I love you!” I called and I headed to my dorm where I started to pack a bag with clothes and stuff.
 
After I was done I decided to head to bed early until I heard an explosion near by.
 
“What the hell was that?” I asked as Jyra came into my room. “Not to be mean but how about knocking?”
 
“Chill we're both girls. I wanted to tell you that we have to evacuate the dorms. The lab exploded and some toxic chemical is out in the air.”
 
“Looks like I'm heading to Hughes after all.” I sighed as I grabbed my band and headed over to his house and rang the doorbell.
 
“Elle, did you change your mind?” Hughes asked.
 
“Not exactly. The lab near by the dorms exploded so I decided to come here if the offer still stands.”
 
“Of course. Please come in.” Hughes said, “Ed and Al are already here.” Hughes added moving out of the way so I could enter the house.
 
“Sis you came!” Al shouted when I got into the living room.
 
“Quiet Al! Babies can't stand loud noises.” I shouted quietly.
 
“Oh sorry.” Al said and if he could I'm sure he would've been blushing.
 
“Al told me you've been ill Ed. You feeling better?”
 
“Not much better but I'll be okay. Al and I will go back to the dorm and I'll take those medicines you got me.”
 
“Um…we're not aloud at the dorms tonight. The lab exploded. That's the only reason I'm here actually.” I said.
 
“Seriously?”
 
“Yeah. I'm heading to a hotel afterwards and tomorrow I head out.”
 
“I heard about that. Where are you heading.”
 
“A place called Lavic. I don't know where it is though.”
 
“It's near Drachma.” Gracia said. Well it's owned by Drachma so I should say its Drachma.”
 
“Drachma? That's the place that hates our guts right?” Ed asked.
 
“Yeah, but it's still a safe place to go.”
 
“I'd better not say it's on the verge of civil war then.” I thought.
 
“Elle, have you eaten yet?”
 
“No I haven't.”
 
“Will you watch Elysia for me?”
 
“Of course.” I said plopping onto the couch and I took Elysia from Gracia and then she went into the kitchen to help Hughes while Ed had a real bad coughing fit.
 
Since I had Elysia I couldn't help Ed calm down but Al did and he handed Ed a cup of tea and helped Ed drink that.
 
I got up off the couch with Elysia and I went into the kitchen to see if Gracia had any vapor rub for Ed since his was at the dorms.
 
“Gracia do you have vapor rub for Ed? He's been coughing really badly.”
 
“Hughes can you go get it from the medicine cabinet?” Gracia asked.
 
“Sure.” He said and returned a few minutes later with a jar and he handed me the bottle. “Will this help a cough?”
 
“It does for me. I don't know about Ed but since we're fraternal twins it can't help to try it.” I said.
 
“Good point. Here I'll take Elysia, you go take care of Ed.” He said.
 
Al couldn't hold Elysia and neither could Ed because of the chemicals they used when they had to oil or polish the armor or automail depending on which brother we're talking about. So I headed out to the living room and Ed looked at the jar.
 
“What's that for?” Ed asked.
 
“Rub that on your throat and chest.”
 
“I thought Ed needed to be in a tanktop.” Al said.
 
“I have one he can borrow.” Hughes said once he came into the room. “I'll go get it.”
 
“But…” Ed started.
 
“Brother we don't care about the automail. My dad had automail too.”
 
“Wait your father?”
 
“Yeah. The same arm as you in fact. He wore that automail with pride.” I said even though he didn't lose his arm doing illegal stuff. “Only Al, Roy, and I know the truth. To anyone else you just lost it in an accident when you were little. And unless you tell Al and I won't. Even if I'm threatened with death I wouldn't tell.” I said as Hughes came back.
 
“Here you go Ed.” Hughes said.
 
“Thanks. I'll be back I guess.” Ed said heading into the bathroom to change into the tanktop. “Alright now what?”
 
“Come here.” I said opening the can. “Are you ticklish?”
 
“K-Kinda.” He admitted.
 
“Try to stay as still as you can. I don't want to accidentally get this into your port okay.” I said and Ed nodded.
 
I put a little of the jell on my fingers and I made sure his braid would be completely out of the way as I started to rub the jell on Ed's chest and throat and he did fidget but he tried to focus moving his legs instead of his whole entire body.
 
“Alright all done. “ I said whipping the extra jell off on my pant leg. “Even though it's strong smelling it works. It's actually the smell that does the trick but there's chemicals that your body absorbs that also helps out too. It works for me.”
 
“At this point I'll try anything.” Ed said.
 
“I hear you.” I laughed.
 
“Dinner's ready!” Gracia called.
 
“Go ahead kids. I'll put Elysia in her crib.” Hughes added.
 
“Alright.” We added and we all headed into the kitchen where Gracia sat stew on the table.
 
“Alright stew!” Ed shouted happily.
 
“What's stew?” I asked shyly.
 
“You've never had stew?” Al asked.
 
“No. We have soup but in Xenotime we rarely eat mean because it's so hot and it spoils easily.”
 
“It's kinda like chicken soup but with beef instead of chicken.” Al added.
 
“Oh.” I said grabbing a bowl and we ate in silence.
 
After dinner we all decided to head to bed so Ed could rest and I could get some sleep so I was ready for the mission in the morning so we all stashed in the same room that we did the night that Elysia was born and had the same sleeping arrangements.
 
“Sis, are you scared?” Al asked quietly since Ed was asleep.
 
“About me the mission?
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Not really. After all I'll have my alchemy to protect me.”
 
“Is Jyra nice?”
 
“She seemed like it. But don't worry I can take care of myself.”
 
“You should go to sleep now.” Al said.
 
“Yeah I should. Night Al.”
 
“Night sis.” Al replied and after a few minutes I fell asleep.