Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ The Night Sky ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A clatter of shoes echoed the corridor of Briggs.

"Welcome back General."

The trio waited as the elevator descended, watching the arrow animating slowly over the levels indicator.
Scar took his eyes off the top for a moment and fell his sight on the lady general in front of him.
He felt a lump in his throat as he swallowed.

"I'll be heading for the canteen first. Miles will help you settle for the night. If you're hungry, meet me there later."
With that, the general took off at a different level and Scar found himself staring after her shadow.

"We can meet her later after we settle things down," Miles offered, as his lips lit up a corner.
Scar's eyes widened and closed as he folded his arms, "What are you talking about.."

Miles stifled a chuckle, "I saw that."

"What?" Scar sounded a little annoyed.

"You were staring at her even before we entered the elevator and never taking her off your sight even after she left!"

The huge Ishvalan found himself fighting a blush for the first time.

"Well, she is an attractive person," Miles continued to tease, before ending on a serious note.
"However, we'll both be heading East tomorrow. That's where we're needed. I'm just back here to tie up loose ends,
just so you know."

It was rather quiet that night in the canteen. It was off-peak hours and most soldiers were either on guard or off.
A handful of them greeted her as Olivier made her way past them.
She settled down with her food at a favourite corner. It would take some time for the boys to get ready and join her.
As she ate, her sight drifted to a cup of coffee at a nearby table. Scar's words came back to her.
It felt strange then and now as well. She found herself thinking about Buccaneer again. The First Lieutenant will be promoted to cover his duties.

"General," Miles called out, as they approached.
Olivier found herself looking up to a blushing Scar, averting her eyes as soon as they met.
Curious, she decided to fix her eyes on him awhile longer.

The weight of her attention played him to notice her cup of tea by her hand.
It was also a relief she wasn't wearing any ring.
"You don't like coffee?"

"Not tonight when I need some sleep," came her reply shortly.
Her attention shifted to Miles, "I suppose everything's tied up?"

Miles,"Yes, General."

It didn't take long to polish up their food and she got up to leave.
"I guess you'll both be on your way tomorrow morning. Have some sleep, it's quite a journey."
She walked away and left the tray at the collection station.

Scar stared after her and thought deeply.
It wasn't time for this, not yet. It will come in time but now it wasn't it.
"I'll come back to Briggs someday, Miles. Now isn't the time."

Miles smiled and slapped his back as they prepared themselves for a long, needed strength.
That night, the sky was clear and the stars scattered hopefully, in the vast sea of darkness.