Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Dogwood Tree ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I do not own FMA or the characters. That privilege goes to Hiromu Arakawa.
 
A/N: Thank you guys so much for reading! (= ] I'm particularly fond of this one-shot for some reason. I just think it's kinda cute and it was fun to write. Anyways, any reviews are highly appreciated.
 
# ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^ # ^
 
 
The dogwood blossoms drifted carefully through the air at the winds' touch as Winry sat with Ed by the creek near her house, listening to its dulcet tones in the cool shade of her favorite tree. Though they'd been resting there for nearly fifteen minutes, neither had said a word. Up to this point Winry had been looking around, taking in the scenery while Ed seemed to be deep in contemplation. Winry figured there must have been another military crisis, like maybe another crucial building was lost or there'd been a mass murder or something. Of course Ed would never tell her for fear of worrying her or putting her in some remote danger. She wondered how he still found time to be young. Ed and Al were younger than her but they'd grown up so much faster. Ed was only sixteen, yet he'd been treated as an adult, dealt with the responsibilities of an adult, been given the life of an adult for four years.
 
"Ed?" He turned his head abruptly at being pulled out of his thoughts.
"Yeah?"
"Something wrong?"
"No. Not really."
"Oh. Well you've been awful quiet."
"I know. Al and I've pulled a few all night-ers lately, that's all."
"Oh… Well how is everybody? Gracia's family? How are they?"
"They're good. Elysia's still just as cute as ever and Hughes still won't shut up."
 
Winry smiled. She loved Hughes' family and couldn't help but think about them often. She glanced at the automail arm Ed was propping himself up with. It needed polishing. She'd like to inspect both it and the leg. There was no telling what Ed had been doing with it lately.
"Hey Ed, can I have a look at your arm?" He sighed and held it in front of her. Now what was she going to do to it? He watched her pull out a screwdriver and open the top plate to take a look inside. Just as she thought, the cylinder was outta whack.
 
"I knew it wasn't making the right sound when you moved it." She fixed the problem, checked that the suspension was still ok and tightened a few screws. "Is that better?" Ed moved his fingers to get used to the new feeling. Everything felt tighter, smoother and more responsive.
"Thanks," he said quietly.
"Does your leg need to be done too?"
"Yeah, probably."
She sighed and set to work. "You know, Ed, you could really start doing this on your own. It's not that hard."
"Yeah, I know." She sat beside him when she was done and watched him wiggle his toes at the new feeling. "Hey Winry?"
"Hm?"
"Thanks." She became aware that he seemed closer now. Had she sat nearer to him than before? She sighed again and said, "I worry about you guys, you know."
"I know." There was an air of guilt in his voice as he gazed at the grass.
"I just don't know what we'd do if something happened…"
 
Here she seemed on the verge of tears. Ed turned to her and said softly, "Don't worry, you won't lose us." He picked up his automail arm and reached for her face, softly hooking his cool, metal fingers behind her jaw. Effectively pulling her forward, he gently pressed his lips against hers and felt her relax. Pulling away, he fixed her with a serious look. "You won't lose us. I promise."
She suddenly hugged him. "Ed-" Her voice broke and she started crying. As he hugged her, he felt hot tears turn icy on his shoulder. "Ed…" Though she was crying, her voice was smooth, "…Be careful Ed…"