Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Vengeance ❯ Storms ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vengeance
by Kellen
Rating: T, or PG-13
Summary: When two-year-old Elysia Hughes is kidnapped and her father injured, Gracia turns to Colonel Mustang for help. When Roy arrives in Central, he finds that he is not only racing against time, but a criminal who will stop at nothing to satiate his thirst for revenge and a military that is determined to keep this crime under wraps.
Author's Notes: I think this is the quickest update on record for me. Don't expect this very often. This chapter seems off to me. I need your help. Please tell me what worked and what didn't.
Disclaimer: If I owned it, it would be renamed “Flame Alchemist”. The characters and settings are the intellectual property of someone who is not me (and when I edit I will put the proper names here). I'm just playing in the sandbox for a few moments. I hope you enjoy the ride.
 
 
~~~~~`
Roy Mustang stood in the wind and rain, dark hair in disarray and black greatcoat flapping in the wind. When the conductor had said that there were storms between East City and Central, Roy never would have assumed he meant the kind of storms that could flatten a small city in a fury.
Or wash out railways.
Roy punched the railing he had been leaning on, relishing the sound of the metallic clang over the pattering of the rain. The storm had let up just enough to allow people to move around outside the stopped train.
Not that anyone but Mustang was actually outside. He stared sullenly at the grey landscape, blinking when lightning struck close behind the station they had halted near. Thunder came on the light's heels, loud enough to shake the train.
“Sir!” Riza Hawkeye nimbly leapt from the station platform onto the steps near Mustang's self-appointed guard post. Her boot slipped a bit, but before Roy could reach for her, her hand came down on the railing and she pulled herself upright. Pushing drenched bangs out of her eyes, she shook her head. “The conductor says the train's here indefinitely. There's no way they can get someone out right now to fix the tracks.”
Mustang pinned her with a sharp gaze, mind already mulling over solutions. If I had material, I might be able to fix the tracks… but then the worst of the storm is yet to come.
Hawkeye grimaced. “Sir, the storm is only gathering strength. They say it's worse between here and Central. Getting the train through it would be difficult, even if we were somehow able to repair the tracks. Putting the passengers into danger is not what we're about.”
How did…? Mustang shook his head, banishing the thought. It wasn't the first time he'd suspected her of mind-reading. “I'm not waiting around here, Lieutenant.”
“I didn't think so, sir.” She continued gamely in the face of Mustang's glower. “Havoc is securing a car. We're only a few hours out.”
Mustang let go of the railing and clapped Hawkeye gently on the shoulder. “Let's get our luggage, then. I want on the road as soon as possible.”
Thunder rumbled again as the two disappeared inside the railcar.
 
~~~~~`
Gracia Hughes was not a woman easily scared, but three days of constant vigil and worry had her on edge. She honestly thought she could handle a small walk to clear her head. Leaving Maes' side had been hard, but Gracia knew she needed some fresh air. Besides, it was storming, and Gracia loved a good storm. Staring through the rain to catch as many glimpses of lightning as she could had been her favorite pastime as a child. This time, though, as she regarded the storm, she'd started crying instead of smiling. Elysia was scared of the thunder.
Gracia hugged herself, suddenly chilled. Who would hold Elysia when the thunder terrified her?
She quickened her pace, suddenly wary and frightened of the dim hospital hallway. She needed Maes. She needed him now. Her shoes echoed hollowly on the tile as she moved faster and faster, finally jogging toward Maes' room.
She had to see him. She had to know he was still there. They couldn't have taken him, too.
She broke into a panicked run, rounded a corner. Only a few doors away. There, third door on the left. That's where he was. She slipped, her ankle turning under her. She hit the floor, landing on her hands and knees.
Gracia scrambled to her feet, ignoring the dull pain shooting through her limbs. She whimpered, and started forward again.
A hand closed around her wrist and yanked her backward. Before she thought, Gracia screamed as she lost her balance and fell back. She landed awkwardly, her skirt twisted around her thighs, and her arm folded under her side. Her purse dug into her ribs. Her attacker grabbed the back of her neck - and a handful of light brown hair - and pulled her upper body forward. Gracia opened her eyes.
And her nightmares came true.
He was masked and hooded and only clear blue eyes shone in the shadows cast onto his face. He growled and shook her and she yelped. His grip was strong and Gracia couldfeel the hatred he held for her. Her yelp turned into a whimper and fresh tears welled in her eyes. She wanted to yell at this man, to fight back, to apologize to Elysia, to tell Maes how much she loved him.
Yet, her throat closed and her limbs felt leaden.
“It's his fault,” the man holding her hissed.
She blinked at him, and then concentrated on moving her right hand. She could barely feel the purse strap still wrapped around her wrist.
“His fault you'll die.”
She sniffed, feeling the tears drop from her jaw.
“His fault he'll die.”
Maes, I love you.
“His fault your little girl will die.”
Elysia, baby, I'm so sorry. Mommy's so sorry.
He drew his arm back and let fly a punch that hit her cheek. She fell from his grasp landing on her right hand and crying out. The purse clasp broke and the contents spilled onto the floor. Gracia's hand scrabbled for purchase and instead closed around the handle of the gift Maes had given her only a few months before.
She remembered when he handed her the small black pistol. Use it if you have to, he'd said. I never want to see you hurt. Gracia didn't think about it. She rolled, using both hands to bring the gun to bear, managed to remember to click the safety off and shot the pistol in a blind flurry of movement. Again and again she shot, only fainting registering the sounds of crashing and cursing. Glass broke, and when Gracia opened her eyes again, the man was gone and curtains were flapping in a gusty wind. Rain splattered in through the broken window.
Lightning flashed, and Gracia heard someone call her name.
Then, her vision went black.
~~~~~~~~~~`
The train ride had been bad enough. The young man - boy, really, and short enough to still be called as such - struggled under a load of suitcases nearly bigger than he was. He tripped over a step and, annoyed, blew a thick strand of wet blond hair out of his eyes. He sighed, promising himself he'd never offer help to a family in need ever again. Not when it involved carrying luggage through pouring rain.
“Brother, why don't you let me help?”
Edward looked up, craning his neck to catch a glimpse of polished bright armor through a gap in the suitcases. “No, its fine, Al,” he said, forcing cheerfulness through clenched teeth. “I got it.”
“Of course you do, Brother.”
Ed never understood how a suit of armor could display such emotion. And, right at that moment, the sarcasm wasn't helping. “Where'd the lady go?” Bad train ride, layovers, storms, and now trying to help some woman with her luggage… Oh, yeah, the life of a state alchemist was beyond exciting…
“There you are!”
Ed started, dropping several pieces of luggage. He reached up with his now-free left hand and rubbed the back of his neck. “Uh, yeah, here I am.”
The woman - who looked to be pushing forty - bent to pick up a couple of the suitcases, but Al waved her off. His armor clanked and groaned as he bent to pick up the luggage. “I've got it.” His voice echoed cheerfully inside the empty armor, and the woman smiled gratefully.
“Oh, no, that's ok. It's fine here. My husband will pick me up in few minutes' time.”
Ed, relieved beyond measure, promptly allowed the rest of the luggage to drop.
“I'm so glad I ran into you boys,” she gushed. “You've really been a huge help. I can't thank you enough for carrying all that for me.”
Ed's hand caught in his drenched braid. Damn rain. “No worries,” he replied, while carefully pulling his white-gloved hand free. “Be thou for the people, and all, you know.”
The woman grinned widely. “You are so cute, child, but certainly there are other, better things you could pretend to be than a State Alchemist.” She reached out, pinching Ed's cheek. “You take care, little one.”
Al's free hand came to rest on Ed's head, to hold his older brother back. “We have to go,” Al said quickly. “Obligations.”
The woman frowned. “I thought you said you were headed to East City? I wouldn't think you'd have things to do here in Central, since the train is delayed by the storms?”
Al gathered his brother, pulling at Ed's arms as Ed started to move forward. One large hand clamped over Ed's mouth. “We know people here. Really have to go. Running late.” Al started backing away as Ed started to struggle in his grip.
The woman smiled. “You take care of your little brother, Alphonse, you hear me?”
“He's my older brother,” Al wailed as he ran off, carrying a furiously struggling Ed. “And it's not his fault he's short. And he really is a State Alchemist.”
Ed stopped struggling to gape at his brother. Not my fault I'm short? Betrayal. It was betrayal, pure and simple. “Thanks a lot, Al.” Ed pulled futilely at the metal arm wrapped around his middle. “You can let me down now.”
“You won't run back and attack that woman, will you?”
Again, Ed gaped at him. “What do you take me for?”
And again, Ed was amazed at the _expression shown in a suit of armor. He could have sworn Al looked down at him with a mixture of reproach and guilt. Ed harrumphed and crossed his arms, staring out at the pouring rain. Thunder occasionally rolled through the sky. “Oh, yeah, this is good.” He threw his hands up. “We're stuck in Central, thanks to the stupid train tracks getting washed out, with nothing to do and nowhere to go.”
“Brother, its not the tracks' fault the storm washed them away.” Al seemed to think for a moment. “Besides, you've got access to the Central Library, and Major Hughes is here.”
Ed's _expression softened. “Yeah, Al you're right. I guess we can hang around Central until they get things going again.” He grinned suddenly. “Keeps Mustang out of my hair longer.”
Al sighed. “You know, eventually you'll have to report to the colonel.”
Ed crossed his arms and glowered at the rain. “Don't remind me.”