Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ When You Come Back To Me Again ❯ When You Come Back To Me Again ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

When You Come Back To Me Again
Oneshot
 
There's a ship out on the ocean at the mercy of the sea
It's been tossed about lost and broken wandering aimlessly
And God, somehow You know that ship is me
 
He wouldn't let himself believe it. He'd known this man since he was just a child himself. They'd joined the Military together and they'd fought together. This man had been there for him during the Ishbal Massacre and when his parents had died shortly before he joined the Military. He was at a loss without this man at his side, constantly going on about his four-year-old daughter named Elysia.
 
Dark obsidian eyes watered with tears, but he refused to let them fall. He had to be strong, for Gracia and Elysia. It was the least he could do for his lifetime friend and comrade. His shoulders slumped as he sighed, causing the ice cubes to gently hit against the side of the glass he held.
 
Because there's a lighthouse in a harbor shining faithfully
Pouring its light out across the water for this sinking soul to see
That someone out there still believes in me
 
He knew that he was betraying Maes memory by drinking himself into a stupor, but it was the only way that he could deal with the pain. Brigadier General Maes Hughes...The words that were carved into the grave came back to his mind as he closed his eyes with a hopeless sigh. It would be another sleepless night it seemed, one only filled with memories and nightmares. Even in death he knew Maes would want him to continue on with his dream, but that's all it was now...just a dream.
 
Obsidian eyes closed as he downed the last of his drink, stilling his hand from refilling the glass for the hundredth time. Maes had told him time and time again that he would always believe in him, even when the time came that he could no longer be there with him. Roy angrily slammed his glass down on table, the sound of shattering glass being heard. Shards of the broken glass cut into his hand, but he ignored it as he stood up.
 
On a pray in a song
I hear your voice and it keeps me hanging on
Raining down against the wind
I'm reaching out until we reach the circle's end
When you come back to me again
 
Roy could remember it all, returning home to see Maes awaiting face at the train station. He was exhausted and held many regrets, but seeing his friends familiar face had made some of them go away. He knew that in those days he'd worried Maes so much, making himself wonder about his own sanity. Those days had long ago disappeared, but now he wondered if he could truly continue to live without Maes at his side.
 
The small cuts on his hand continued to bleed, and he continued to ignore the crimson blood that trickled to the ground and left a path behind him. He was numb to everything around him thanks to the effects of the alcohol and the day's events. It'd been years since Roy had actually believed in a God, but now he cursed the being with all his might. Maes had had no reason to die, and he had had every reason to live.
 
"So Roy, you ever gonna get yourself a wife?"
 
Roy could still remember his voice, always pushing him the extra mile when it came to anything. He'd lived for his best friend, and if he had had the choice he would've died for him as well.
 
There's a moment that we all come to
In our own time and our own space
Where all that we've done we can undo
If our heart's in the right place
 
He started up the stairs to his room, hearing the rolling sound of thunder that signified a storm was to soon come. He navigated the stairs easily enough, managing to keep himself from falling or tripping. Another roll of thunder sounded in the distance and he knew it wouldn't be too long before he could hear the rain as well. His steps slowed as he passed the one extra bedroom he had in the whole place. Maes had spent many a night in that room when they had first entered the Military, and then later when he was too drunk to make it to his own house.
 
A few minutes passed before he walked away from the door, knowing he would never let anyone else stay in that room again. He silently made his way towards his own room, opening the door that gently creaked. A sigh escaped his slightly parted lips as he trudged towards his window. Raindrops slowly slid down the cold glass of the window as he looked outside. Roy placed his hand against the cool surface, the rain reminding him of the tears he'd shed for Maes since his death.
 
If only he could undo all of his mistakes...if only he could use the forbidden alchemy to bring his friend back. He now knew why Edward and Alphonse had to try to bring their mother back to life...and he also knew why they had to try to fix each other.
 
On a pray in a song
I hear your voice and it keeps me hanging on
Raining down against the wind
I'm reaching out until we reach the circle's end
When you come back to me again
 
Again and again I see
My yesterday's in front of me
Unfolding like a mystery
You're changing all that is and used to be
 
"I'm going to become the Furher, Maes. I'll transform how this whole country runs. It's the only way I can justify to taking my next breath."
 
"To do that, you're gonna need someone who understands you and the system, and support you from the inside. I'll work under you to stay close to the higher ups and help push you to the top."
 
His eyes closed at the memory of so long ago. It was one of the few that he had of Maes that was unscared by time and the many changes in their lifes.
 
"Roy! Roy!" Maes raced into Central HQ as everyone looked up at his yelling. Roy opened the door to his office and looked out and down the hallway at his friend.
 
"What is it, Maes?" he asked, wondering what had his friend so happy. Maes had the stupidest grin on his face as he stopped in front of Roy.
 
"She said yes, Roy! I proposed and Gracia said yes!" he exclaimed again with a huge smile on his face. Roy couldn't stop from smiling as well at the happiness that radiated from his best friend. He patted Maes on the back, congradulating him for his upcoming marriage.
 
"It's in one month...and YOU are going to be my best man," he stated as he watched the emotions pass over Roy's face. First surprise and shock, followed by understanding and an even greater happiness.
 
"Whatever you say, Maes...I'd be honored..."
 
Obsidian eyes stared out of the blurry window as the rain continued to pour down from the heavens. A tired sigh escaped him as he moved away from the window and towards his bed in the middle of the room. Maes voice was still fresh in his mind as he sat down on the edge of the bed and relaxed a little.
 
On a pray in a song
I hear your voice and it keeps me hanging on
Raining down against the wind
I'm reaching out until we reach the circle's end
When you come back to me again
 
Looking back on all of the things they'd done together, he still couldn't see why Maes would hold back such important information. It'd hurt, more than anything, when he had had to watch them lay his friend in the ground. He could still recall Elysia's cries for her father and Gracia's soft answers that were filled with unshed tears. His hand clenched into a fist and it was then that he remembered the blood that was still dripping to the floor.
 
Dark obsidian eyes closed as he laid back on his bed, the coolness of the sheets cooling him slightly. Another sigh escaped him as his hand relaxed and he started to fall asleep to a song sung within his heart by the angels. The red of his blood stained the white sheets and his eyes shined as he was reunited with his friend in his dreams.
 
Gwg: I own neither the song by Garth Brooks or Fullmetal Alchemist, just this story.