Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Where The Heart Is ❯ Those Troublesome Mysteries ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Oh No review... ack, who cares >_>....ANYWAY, I’m setting the times differently then the movie, since I’ve heard the movie puts it at [Spoiler?] (7 years ahead in Amestris?) Am I right? Anyway, in MY STORY, the difference is going to be like this….

In 1899, Edward was born (So says Wikipedia) So Al was born in 1900. At the end of the series Ed was 16. (Yes, he was. BONES had a little plot-hole when Ed had his birthday in episode 23.)
PLOT-HOLE: In episode 9 he was 12 and when it switched to the Lior scene at the end, it said “Edward; 15, and Alphonse; 14” stuff like that. Therefore, in episode 23, he HAD TO have turned 16, right? Yes, Bones, I am right. So why then, did he still remain 15 throughout the rest of the series? (Keep in mind, I have only seen the dub, but I’m pretty sure they’re both the same.)

So, in THE MOVIE Ed is 18, I’m guessing, because that’s how it is here. This whole rant was about the time difference, right? Oops. Here we go:

1899-Ed born
1900-Al born

1915-Edward is 16
1915-Alphonse is 15

1921 (Germany)-Edward is 16. Yes, he came to Germany in 1921 at the end of the series.
1915 (Amestris)-Alphonse is 10.

Conclusion:
I’m so dizzy from this. No school has actually left me stupid and winded from simple mathematical problems. How funny. Anyway, I’m making time fast in Amestris. Yes, I can do that. It’s going to be like this, no matter how little sense it makes.

1923 (Germany)-Edward is 18
1919 (Amestris)-Alphonse is 14

In Amestris, 2 years equal a year in Germany. That’s it. Point in case. I will be writing as if Al is 14, and Winry is 19 and so on, so forth.

OoO, another little BIG note. The gate can seemingly transport through time too. In episode 50, Edward ended up in London in 1916, and just a little later, he popped up in Germany in 1921. So I’m assuming it can bypass the LAWS OF PHYSICS and all, that may play an important role later…MAY. So finally (gosh, I can talk forever, can’t I?) ON WITH MY THIRD INSTALLMENT of this story.

Chapter 3

Those Troublesome Mysteries

--That Often Leave You Curious For More
--------------------------------------------------------------

(Ishbal,1919)

It had been a long day (And walk, for that matter), but Alphonse had finally reached Ishbal. It still didn’t look like much, but progress had been made. Small buildings were beginning to take form, even if in the early stages.

A few groups of men sat to the side; some were moving debris and helping to clear out sections covered in fallen rock, others were taking well-needed breaks around the collapsed structures.

To his left he spotted some children, running past each other and hiding behind various pieces of the fallen city jutting out from the ground. A boy stood in the middle, hands covering his eyes as he shouted out numbers to warn those hiding of the time they had left.

A young girl ran behind a rather unsteady looking rock, resting against it and listening closely for any signs of the seeker. She was unaware of the dangerous slant of her hiding spot. Alphonse stopped for a moment to study the scene.

The game seemed so familiar to him. It had been a while since he’d played it, eight years, in fact. Although he had failed to remember anything but the previous four. While the remaining four had been lost to eternity. A smile stretched across his face. Maybe Winry was right; he did need to get out of that stuffy research lab and reestablish his connection with reality. This was going to be a pleasurable trip then he expected: he could feel it.

A sudden crack brought his attention to the hide-and-seek game again. He watched in horror as a section of the rock the girl he spotted earlier was under, began to split. She was unaware of it, and simply resumed playing after the noise without even glancing up at the potential danger above her.

It was almost to late, but Al rushed in anyways, clapping his hands together in the meanwhile.

The section finally gave way, and it began it’s short journey to the ground. The problem was; it had a child in it’s way. The girl could not even look up, but to the side as Alphonse swiftly placed his now separated hands on the ground, launching a transmutation that reached the child only seconds before the boulder did.

The rest was a cloud of confusion. Nearby workers and civilians rushed to the scene. Some standing idly by, while others watched in worry and fear at what had just took place. As the smoke cleared, one man shouted a surprised “Look!” to his fellow observers.

Alphonse couldn’t see what was going on yet, but the crowd certainly could; as it erupted in a wave of gasps and awes. Having pulled his arm up to cover his eyes, he lowed it as the haze settled, smiling all the while.

The separated rock now sat upon a suit of armor. Well, at least what appeared to be a suit of armor made of stone. The armor was holding up the stone with both hands, and the girl sat unharmed, but dazed, beneath it.
As the entire set-up gave an unsatisfied creak, Alphonse swiftly made his 3-yard journey to the Ishbalan girl and pulled her from the unhappy structure, pushing them both down into the sand as another crash erupted and more gusts of sand blew over them.

The crowd was unsure of what to make of what had happened, as some rushed in, and some remained where they were. But soon enough, two forms could be seen huddled on the desert floor.

Alphonse quickly shot up, rubbing his head and looking down to the child below. Standing up, he brushed himself off and offered a simple question to the girl.

“Are you OK?”

She sat on her knees now, tears beginning to drip from her wide red eyes. She nodded slowly, wiping a tear away.

“What happened?!” A voice asked through the crowd. Al instantly recognized it as Rose. He turned to face the direction he believed it to come from, and sure enough, his brown haired friend stood in front of the crowd.

She seemed surprised to see the alchemist before her, as she noticed those gathered in the crowd were already beginning to give him looks of resentment. She decided to take action before any civilians decided to take matters into their own hands. Her look did not change, in fact, it became harder. Alphonse continued his staring contest with her until her eyes became less startled and softer.

Finally, she laughed.

“You’re late.” She said with a smile. The city and it’s inhabitants suddenly seemed much less threatening.
------------

(Germany, 1923)

Edward quickly shut the door, turning on the vehicle and beginning their journey home.

It was going to be just as monotonous as the last ride, except this time around, they had something to talk about.

Evening was settling in, and the forest had lost some of it’s cheerful talk. It was now being replaced with the mournful howl of night. The sun was in the sky, but it too was beginning to switch shifts with the blue moon, calling in darkness. They would be back in town just a little after nightfall, but it was still an unpleasant ride to look forward to, and sleep was starting to creep to the top of their agendas.

Amara had kept them for longer then expected, even after the news of her niece’s death. After the expected wall of silence though, Amara had offered them a look at the collection of books while she went to retrieve something of her niece’s from upstairs. Something she apparently wanted to show them.

The book collection turned out to be nothing like they expected. Rare but foolish books on early dreams of space travel with ridiculous machines and unrealistic creatures. Nothing of real use, though Edward did happen to find a recipe of homemade apple pie stuck between the pages of one such novel.

The rest of the assortment consisted of books of things Edward and Alfons simply had no interest in reading. Though, one book happened to catch Edward’s eye. A lone book on the shelf he had skipped through about an ancient science quiet similar to alchemy. He put it down after only a quick glance though, as Amara entered to inform them she could not locate the certain something of her niece’s she had gone to get.

After that, the rest of the day was more relaxed. That tense feeling both boys had had during the most chilling part of her talk had begun to dissipate over the length of the day.

Although, they were both beyond relived to finally return home.

“Well, it was a nice break, wasn‘t it?” Alfons asked, not bothering to turn just to face the back of Edward’s head.

“Some break. He should warn me about these ‘little side-trips’.” Ed responded, eyes fixed on the road.

Alfons shrugged. He didn’t agree with Edward’s view of it as a wasted day. But he didn’t disagree that it wasn’t exactly a enjoyable trip.

“I did learn one thing though.” Edward offered, turning slightly to catch a glimpse of Alfons in the mirror.

“What’s that?”

“You need about 8 medium-sized apples to make apple pie.” He smiled, growing more at ease with each passing sentence they exchanged. “How’s about I make some tomorrow?”

“I don’t think so, your last attempt at cooking didn’t turn out very well.”

“Yeah, yeah, so I burnt a bit of chicken. No big deal, right? Anyone can make apple pie. I have the recipe here anyway…” He flashed the recipe card he had ‘accidentally’ taken from Amara’s from his pocket.

“What? You stole that from her book, didn’t you?” It was more of a question of surprise then an accusation.

“I wouldn’t call it stealing…more like ‘borrowing without permission’.”

“That’s a stereotypical excuse Edward, you don’t expect me to believe that.”

“Fine, go ahead, tell her. I don’t think she’d care. In fact, I think I’ll invite her to try some when I finish perfecting my ‘pie baking’ skills.”

As soon as his last word was said he pulled to a sudden stop, jolting both of them. It was a good thing they weren’t going very fast up this vacant, deserted road, but the abrupt jolt was enough to give both boys a bit of whiplash.

“Ed, what happened-” Alfons looked on to the darkened road before them.

A blockage sat in their way. A slew of trees thrown into the middle of the road by an unseen force.

“That…wasn’t there before…” Edward said from the front seat, sitting up to rub the back of his neck.

The two stared in awe at the destruction before them. Edward was right, thought Alfons, the mess hadn’t been there before. It looked as if a chunk of the surrounding forest was ripped out and tossed carelessly unto the center of the road.

“Great…” Edward sighed, opening the car door and stepping out into the coming darkness. “This’ll be fun…” He walked over to the toppled botch of forest and bent down to closer examine the damage. With dusk now settled though, it was much harder to see, making their task a bit more difficult. Even though the cars headlights shed some light on the debris.

“I guess we’ll need to clear a path.” Alfons asked from behind Edward, glancing around for any signs of what could have possibly caused this.

“Let’s hope not.” His tone had grown serious. It was quite like him, his entire demeanor could change in a matter of seconds.

“Maybe Amara--” Alfons started, but Edward instantly interrupted him.

“I don’t think so. I’m sure there’s a way around it somehow…” He began a quick survey of the area. Mentally listing any possible escape routes they had. As he scanned the road behind them, Alfons noticed another, far more frightening scene nestled beyond the trees before them, hidden in the remaining forest.

He made his way over to the left-most corner of the fallen trees, eyeing a small opening through them.

He could stood in a roughly carved dent in the forest next to the dumped trees. It reached a bit past the blockade, and ran along some length of the road before him. Trenches ran through the entire cut section, dug deep into the ground. Alfons couldn’t identify the source at all. His face twisted in confusion the more he tried to think about it.

“Hey!” Alfons’s concentration broke as he heard the sudden voice. He started, realizing it was Edward’s. The golden-eyed blonde was seated in the car, starting up the engine. Alfons walked over casually, seeing no need to hurry.

“What are you doing?” He asked, as the boy was within earshot.

“What does it look like?” Edward grumbled, nodding toward the back of the car. “Get in.”

“Why?”

“You want me to leave you here?” Ed was clearly not in the mood to talk. He simply gave directions and wanted them followed. Alfons gave no objections as he eased himself into the backseat. The car had started and Edward had that mischievous gleam in his eye. That gleam Alfons was never fond of. Saying he had never seen it before.

“Hang on.” Edward commanded.

Alfons didn’t like the sound of that. His eyes creased in anger as he thought about how pushy Edward could be.

“What--Why?”

Without warning Edward accelerated the car quickly. Alfons immediately grabbed the side door, since the car was a convertible, it didn’t offer much to hold onto. The car suddenly veered to the left, jolting toward the cleared section of the forest Alfons noticed moments before peeking out from the side of the tossed trees.

The car swerved off the road as it bumped down to the dirt of the woodlands, hitting the trenches and curving sharply to the right as it made a U around the devastated blockage, reaching pavement once again. Soon the car slowed to a normal speed, joyfully carrying on the journey home as if nothing had happened.

“Edward! Are you--what was--?!” Alfons responded to the rough ride by shaking his head to clear it.

“Oh, that scared you? We needed a little excitement after--”

“I can’t believe you’re so reckless! You nearly--”

“Killed us? I know, but I didn’t. You should be happy I found a way around it.”

Alfons loosened his death grip on the door. Edward’s old self certainly was resurfacing again, but he was beginning to prefer the older Edward better.

As the disgruntled pair drove farther away from the wreckage, they failed to hear the bellowing roar erupt from their previous spot as darkness finally sealed the day.
----------



Uh-oh…another long chapter. I was planning on finishing it with Al, but then it would be at least 3 pages longer…I’ll finish summing up Al’s arrival in Ishbal next chapter!


Ok well, am I done? Third chapter over and written? Good then I’ll begin the fourth. Chap four may take awhile though, I still have to “revisit” some previous ideas I don’t think I’m going to use anymore. Don’t worry much though, it’ll be up before you can pronounce:

FosUIYFGHUDSJAiosureoukjdsdhvjknkcxmkzmckkvnjkcnxknvknzjkyuhdiksAHFud.

Yeah, have fun with that. ^.~*

--An Angel’s Wings