Fullmetal Alchemist Fan Fiction ❯ Where The Heart Is ❯ Those Past Reminders ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The long awaited Chapter 5! (At least for me…) It was a fun chapter to write, and the ending still gives me chills. But I won’t spoil to much --wink--

This chapter marks the beginning of the good stuff. I mean more action, more adventure, drama, suspense, you name it!

Enjoy!

-------------------

Chapter 5

Those Past Reminders


--That Blur The Differences Between Reality And Dreams

---------------------

(Ishbal 1919)

The conversation had died a few miles back

The group had walked a tiring mile without passing as much as a few glances. Alphonse had bounded to the front of the party, and since drifted several feet away from them.

He was out of earshot as Rose turned to the officers with a questioning glance; aimed more at their attire. She had noticed it before, but thought better then to address it directly. Alphonse probably had too, but approaching the subject seemed to be unrealistic at the time.

She fired the question after the bout of silence, “I don’t mean to be nosy, but where are your uniforms?”

The three officers had replaced their Military assemble with plain work clothes. Though, Armstrong wore a striking dress shirt, littered with splotches of green and bright blue; pineapples varying in size also adorned the shirt. Riza and Roy wore simple cotton shirts. Riza, being as conservative as possible, had adopted jeans instead of shorts, like Roy, but had worn a tank top to make up for the unbearable heat.

The officers looked down at their attire, Armstrong beaming with pride while Riza and Roy simple shrugged without amusement.

“Ishbal isn’t as stabilized as you may believe, if it had rejected the Military’s offer for help, that’s basically cutting all unwanted ties with it. If we showed up in our uniforms now, how do you think they would react? While the Military has stationed some troops here, they mostly patrol and observe. Lending a hand would be out of the question in their eyes.” Roy made his speech without even glancing at Rose.

“But.” Riza, in turn, offered a smile to her. “That doesn’t necessarily stop us from visiting as civilians.”

Rose nodded in understanding.

By this time, the broad sun was high in the sky and the group had reached the loading area. It wasn’t much of one, if it even could be called that. A few loosely covered trucks were lined up in two rows, the green fabrics covering the vehicles flapping in the desert winds. A truck was pulling away as they arrived, and a few shouts were barely heard over the roaring engine.

A worker waved to one driver before running off, hauling himself into the back of another truck, and disappearing from sight.

Other workers dotted the sparse, expansive area, carrying wooden crates and firing commands rapidly to each other.

“So…where will Alphonse be stationed?” Rose questioned, unfamiliar with this part of the dilapidated town.

“Wherever Rick and Leo are.” Riza stood behind Rose, Roy beside her. “Most likely he’ll be helping to sort through the incoming shipments. I’m sure there are enough hands loading and unloading as it is.”

Rose nodded in understanding, turning to Alphonse, who stood quietly nearby.

“Is that alright with you, Al?”

The young Elric nodded in agreement, taking in all the activity around him..

---------------------

(Germany, 1923)

The sun sparkled outside the open window, transparent drapes fluttering like wings in the wind.
As his mind surfaced from the depths of sleep, he slipped open and eye. A scene of an open window and a cloudless sky met his vision.

He shot open both eyes, realizing where he was. He spent a few moments taking in the rare serenity surrounding him. On the wooden floor his shoes were tossed carelessly beside his bed.

Outside, voices began to invade his hearing. The bustling of the city finally reaching the quiet apartment. He sat up slowly, rubbing the restless sleep from his eyes. Stretching lazily, he welcomed the cool breeze as he sat up.

He adjusted his prosthetics for a brief moment before rising, the tranquility of the morning lost as he glanced past the window to the bitter streets below. They were littered with despair and grief; almost as if etched into the sidewalks. Though he was growing used to this world, it was still unfamiliar and disheartening to look at. Turning from the depressing scene, he made his way to his bedroom door.

He opened it slowly and saw no sign of his roommate. Without giving it much thought, he walked to the bathroom, glancing down the stairs as he did so. Alfons wasn’t within sight.
----
He had showered and changed quickly, letting his wet hair drip carelessly down the blue towel thrown over his shoulders.

He continued down the stairs, scanning the room, expecting to find Alfons seated on the chair reading a newspaper. When no such image greeted him, he looked to the kitchen, and found a lone piece of paper tucked carefully under a mug on the table. The open kitchen window tickled it’s exposed side.

As Edward for the paper, the front door knob jingled, and within seconds; creaked open, revealing a cheerful Alfons behind it.

Edward stood, surprise etched in his feature, which he quickly shook away.

“You slept late.” Alfons said, smiling.

Edward grunted a reply, sleep still present in his expression.

“Well, you’re up early. What’s wrong with a few extra hours?” Edward asked, draping the towel from his shoulders over his quickly drying hair.

Alfons smiled, closing the front door behind him and walking over to the kitchen. “It’s such a nice day out, we should visit the market.”

“With those prices? I’d rather not.” Edward responded from under the towel, which he was vigorously rubbing his hair with.

“You think we can last another week without milk?”

“We don’t need milk. I’m sure we’ll survive.” Came Edward’s bitter comment. He pronounced ‘milk’ with an almost venomous tone.

“How about some apples? Pears? Anything? We can’t avoid this inflation forever.”

Edward was starting to like the sound of some apple pie. Maybe picking up some apples for Gracia would result in getting a bakery fresh slice, or even an entire pie.

Agreeing, Edward made his way back upstairs, readying himself for a day in the city. He had to look presentable at the least.

Walking into the kitchen after a few minutes, he shoved the last banana down for breakfast as he followed Alfons down the stairs leading out of their second floor apartment. They exited the building, turning right into an open, floral-scented shop.

The room was decorated in flowers of all assortments. Elegant arrangements lined the shelves, colors that brightened the normally dreary mornings, but today blended in perfectly with the clear sky in the background.

A woman stood by a desk toward the right of the room, she was looking down at the desk and fiddling with papers on it.

The boys approached the counter as the woman looked up from her work, smiling in delighted surprise.

“Oh, hello boys.” She said, casually addressing them. Tossing a paper into the trashcan beside her desk, she walked out from behind it.

“Good Morning, Gracia.” Alfons said, smiling as he always did.

Her hair might be a bit darker, and her eyes differed a shade in color, but he still couldn’t mistake Gracia Hughes’s smile. Her hair style was even the same, and her personality directly reflected Mrs. Hughes. Getting over the initial shock when he first saw her took some time, but after a while he had desensitized himself to her similarity.

She nodded in acknowledgment before turning to Edward.

“It’s nice to see you out too, Edward.” She smiled, adding

Edward let himself smile before responding. “Same to you, Gracia.“ He wanted to keep the conversation short, sweet and without straying from the subject. The face of the shop owner was too haunting to him. Too familiar. It’s image painfully digging up old memories of Amestris.

“Where are you two going?” She questioned, noticing the eagerness in Edward’s expression as he glanced around the flower shop.

“To the market.” Alfons responded with another smile.

“Would you like us to pick up anything for you?” Edward, tuning into the conversation, offered, noticing Gracia’s slight change in expression at the mention of the marketplace.

“Oh. I’m sure you have enough to buy as it is, I can always go another day. With all the good weather we’ve been having lately, it would be enjoyable.”

“Don‘t be ridiculous.” Edward didn’t even pause as he continued, itching to end the discussion quickly. “We don’t need that much, as long as it’s not more then we can carry.”

She smiled at the comment, nodding to the blonde boys in front of her. “I’d only need one thing…but are you sure…”

“Positive.“ Alfons agreed, almost brightened by Edward’s offer. “It’s nothing really.”

Gracia turned to a crowded section of the store. A corner covered by flowers, colored petals dotting the floor. She put a finger to her chin, in thought.

“I would only need a small bag of mixed fruit. If anything, oranges ,apples, pears, the usual.”

Edward knew Gracia would ask for something with fruit. He knew Ms. Hughes would have asked for the same thing. Hopefully this Gracia could bake as good as her.

After exchanging a few words, they said goodbyes and the boys finally departed from the aroma-filled shop.

As they walked down the dirtied streets of Munich, much activity could be observed. From beggars to children in the street, Munich was never as dead as Edward had once thought it to be. But it was dead in a way; though the streets were alive, the grave faces of those walking upon them gave the city a look of forlornness.

The market was not a far walk. As they drew near, the previous motion of the streets grew more rapid, more people filing into place at the certain stalls and stops.

A bright arrangement of colors quickly caught their attention as a small, sheltered produce stand was visible through the crowd. It contrasted the drank colors around it, and a group of girls sat around it speaking what sounded like gibberish.

Alfons and Edward approached them carefully, but the girls looked to one other and ran off, giggling excitedly as they weaved through the crowd. The young boy at the stall was left blushing as he fiddled with an apple nervously. Alfons and Edward soon came to a stop at the arranged rows of fresh produce, fruits gathered on one side while vegetables were stacked on the other.

The boy must have sensed their presence, for he shot his head up and dropped the apple as he continued to blush furiously. Upon seeing his patrons, relief swept the embarrassment of his face. After heaving a heavy sigh, he smiled politely.

“Can I help you?”

Edward relayed the mental list to the boy, keeping an eye on the swift movements of the strangely young shopkeeper as he selected the freshest looking of what Edward had requested, and stuffed them into separate brown bags.

After their groceries had been paid for, Edward gave a last inquisitive glance at the boy who was rushing about. He was now speaking with a pudgy man who was laughing and patting him heartily on the back.

Edward returned his gaze to the street; which was slowly growing more busy, if possible. He heard a sudden shouted curse, and his attention shifted to his right side. The crowd had been shoved in half like the parting seas, and the cause of it was heading in a straight line for him.

He only got the chance to lift the vulnerable bag above his head and tilt himself slightly out of the direct path, as the force skimmed past him by merely an inch, clumsily tripping over his foot as it shrieked and fell face first onto the streets. Pages and books flew through the air, landing on the hard ground.

Alfons watched from a few feet in front of Edward, turning back to help him recover the victim’s scattered works.

Edward let his eye twitch slightly as he clutched the bag tighter and brought it slowly down to his chest. He looked down as if to reprimand the girl for tripping over his foot, but her voice stopped him.

“I’m sorry.” She said, not bringing her head up to face him as she gathered the books within her reach. She dropped to her knees, as she grabbed a blue paperback.

Sitting now on her knees, Edward could still only see the top of her head. Blonde locks met his vision, and something about them struck him as shocking.

She kept her head down as she rose from the ground. Edward forgot to offer her a hand as he watched her with intent eyes.

A few passerby stopped for a few seconds to watch the scene unfold. But moved on like they had more substantial things on their agendas then to watch.

Alfons bent down to pick up a stray hardcover book, finding himself admiring the thickness of it before he turned to hand it to the girl.

She stood without taking it, choosing to not even acknowledge Alfons as she clutched her gathered books tightly against her chest. Blonde hair obstructed her face, but something about her poise gave Edward unwanted chills. She turned to face him and her features were finally unveiled.

His eyes grew wide with a dawning horror.

Years of his past blurred his vision, abandoning all previous thoughts.

Winry…

The name echoed off the walls of his mind, bouncing uncontrollably thru his thoughts and eventually maneuvering to his mouth.

“W…Winry?” It was a strange circumstance, but Edward gleefully let the name roll off his tongue. He hadn’t uttered him name in so long, it felt almost foreign on his tongue.

The girl’s eyes lit up, in shock as she looked at him with a tormented countenance he found chilling to the bone.

He watched her surprised eyes as she turned and submerged into the crowd.

Alfons watched the situation with a perplexed expression, forgetting the book in his hands.

“Ed…wait.” Alfons reached out to his friend’s shoulders, but Edward had already dove into the streets on Munich with one treasured face as his driving force.

Winry.

---------------------------

Wo00o0o0oT! Ok, chapter 5 is COMPLETED, as for the story…not even close. ^_^ I’m glad this was a longer chapter though….

Ok, so they spoke English in the movie, and I’m not about to screw with German sayings and make it all politically correct and shat, so I’m making it so that all the people Edo and Heiderich encounter in Germany have LEARNED BASIC ENGLISH. It’s strange, and seemingly impossible, but it’s going to happen. They don’t call it fiction for nothing, do they?

And oh yes, AU!Winry is unoriginal, but this one’s different…(--sly grin--)

I know, I know, it seems too long, but AGH, it’s only practice! And practice makes perfect, right?! (Dammit, it better!) Anyway, I have had the privilege of watching FMA: COS!!! FINALLY!! And I have to say, that movie is B.A.M.F! And, as of now, my absolute favorite. (Call me crazy.)

Well, now that I’ve seen the movie, I can portray Alfon’s and Noa’s personalities better. But I’m going to be nice to Noa…and yes, she will be in this fic…just not a main character…actually, UH-OH, I still need to work out where she’ll fit in towards the end. Truthfully, a lot of movie characters are in here, but I won’t kill them off. That‘s mean.

Now, I am a sap for sweet little scenes of fluff, even though there are no pairings, EdWin and RoyRiza and all that jazz will be HINTED. Nothing big, no worries. And sorry to all RoyEd and WTF else, there will be non of that. Zilch. Ed doesn’t roll that way. (Didn’t I say this already?)

Oh…and btw….WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I NAME ROSE’S BABY?! I’M AT A LOSS HERE! If I don’t find out soon, he may have to go with “Orville”.
--gonk--

Well, I’ll leave on note!

Auf Wiedersehen!

--An Angel’s Wings