Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Just Be Yourself ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Just Be Yourself by Katrina Kadabra

Summary: Miaka is worried about Nuriko still acting like a girl, & wants to think of a way to remedy it. Meanwhile Usagi frets about Haruka still playing out a guy. The two girls devise the perfect solution. Set their friends up on a blind date... with each other!

Rating: PG

Notes: To get this story to work, I had to get a lot of the cast to act rather out of character, though I tried not to overdo it TOO much. I also have no plausible explanation for why the Suzaku Seven suddenly appeared in modern-day Tokyo, it just kind of... um, happened. So now that I have stretched the believability of this story to its absolute limits, please enjoy!


Chapter 1

Miaka Yuuki sat disheartened at the Crown fruit parlor, blowing bubbles into her strawberry soda. Yui had said over the phone that she'd be here momentarily, even though it had already been fifteen minutes. That girl always seemed to be busy, Miaka thought. But right now there were more pressing things on Miaka's mind.

"Hey, Miaka!" said Yui as she finally walked in. "I got your call, sorry I'm lat..."

"Yui, what do you think I should do?" Miaka asked suddenly. Yui sweatdropped.

"Do? Do about what?" she asked, guessing now that Miaka had asked her to come more for advice than her company.

"Nuriko," Miaka sighed. "Honestly, I mean..." She paused for a moment. "Nuriko's a really nice guy and everything, but I'm worried about him. Ever since he came to this world, he's still doing the cross-dressing thing. I thought he was over that."

"Switching from ancient China to modern Japan can have its effect on people," said Yui. "So Nuriko still cross-dresses. It could be worse."

"I know, but..." Miaka protested. "Don't you think it's a little immature? Every time we go by a dress shop, he starts squealing like a little kid. It's time he got over this acting-like-a-girl phase of his, you know?"

"I suppose..." Yui sighed. "But what can you do? Nuriko isn't very likely to change on a whim you know."

"That's what I've been thinking about," Miaka replied, a kind of sly and mischievous glint to her eyes. "It's true that Nuriko wouldn't change on his own... there would have to be something motivating him to change, or rather someone."

"Someone?" Yui asked, rather unimpressed. "What are you scheming now, Miaka?"

"Simple," Miaka said. "We set Nuriko out on a date!"

While Miaka spilled her brilliant plan to Yui, two girls with long yellow hair, one in a large red bow and the other in some kind of strange two-dumpling hairstyle walked into the parlor and took a seat in the table behind Miaka and Yui.

"Geez, I don't know what to do!" one of them said.

"Don't worry, Usagi! You'll think of something," the other girl assured her.

"I guess you're right, Minako," Usagi sighed. "And I don't want to sound like Haruka's not a great person as she is. But we're in high school now! She needs to stop acting like a boy all the time."

"I agree with you," Minako said with a nod. "I think it shows a girl's lack of confidence in herself when she feels like she has to dress like a guy."

As Usagi sat deep in thought, a waitress came over to take their orders, and then walked over to Yui and Miaka's table to check and make sure everything was alright. Both groups were so caught up in pondering their dilemmas, neither one noticed the other sitting next to them.

"I've got it!" Usagi exclaimed with a snap of her fingers. "Why don't we set Haruka up on a date with a really hot guy? Someone she couldn't resist, and then she'd start acting like a girl on her own!"

"I'm thinking if I set Nuriko up on a date with a really hot girl," Miaka went on behind her. "He'll want to impress her and then he'll have to start acting like a guy."

"The guy for Haruka would have to be someone very masculine, strong and attractive, a great personality..."

"What I have in mind is someone who's really feminine. You know, gentle, delicate, and a pleasant character."

"I'm thinking dark eyes and dark hair..."

"Maybe a blonde would do the trick. A blonde with blue eyes..."

"He'd have to be strong..."

"She should be tall..."

At that moment, Usagi paused, wondering why it sounded like there was a distinct echo in this room. She turned around and upon seeing Miaka and Yui sitting there behind her, her eyes lit up like stars.

"Miaka!" she squealed excitedly.

"Usagi!" Miaka shrieked back. Yui sweatdropped and pulled out her English dictionary, pretending to not know this crazy person sitting next to her.

"Who's childish, remind me again?" she asked.

"What?" Usagi inquired. Miaka elbowed Yui and then turned her attention back to Usagi.

"Say, I see you hanging out with that group of girls a lot," she said. "Any of them interested in dating, by chance?"

"Huh?"

"See I have this friend," Miaka went on. "He's really strong, with dark hair and kind eyes. He'd really like to go an a date with an attractive girl. But he's shy, you see, so I figured maybe I could set his up with someone."

"Like a blind date?" Usagi asked excitedly. She tried to calm herself down. "Well, it just so happens," she said casually. "That one of my friends is looking to go out to. She's got short blonde hair, with blue eyes. And she's really attractive..."

"REALLY attractive," Minako sighed.

"And very feminine," Usagi finished. Minako cocked her head. Did she hear wrong?

"That's perfect!" said Miaka, with a snap of her fingers. "My friend's really masculine, so he'd love to go out with her." Yui looked at Miaka like she had five heads.

"Then it's settled!" said Usagi excitedly, as she scratched down Haruka's name and phone number on a napkin and handed the information over to Miaka. "This is her name and number. She lives at the Infinity Apartments. She'll meet your friend for a date this Friday night at 7."

"Great!" said Miaka, taking the napkin in hand. "Thanks a lot, Usagi, you're a lifesaver!"

"No problem. But where should we have them go?"

"Um, I dunno. I think there's a festival going on this weekend."

"Nah, too many people. They need some alone time."

Miaka thought for a moment. "Well, why don't we just make them dinner reservations and let them go on the own after that?"

"Perfect!" Usagi squealed. "That's just perfect!"