Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Back Through the Book ❯ Chapter Two - 'An Unknown Land' ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Two: `From an Unknown Land'

It really had felt like anything had opened, aside from the return of the source-less wind. As the wind bellowed through the corridors, the girls could do nothing but shut their eyes in attempts at blocking the dust and dirt, which flew around them like an exploded bag of flour. The wind lasted only a few moments more than the first time before it subsided completely. Only as the air cleared and the noise died down, something felt different, very different.

Kitsune was the first to open her eyes, first feeling around for her library books which she had dropped in surprise, but quickly noticing her surroundings. What was once library stacks in bad need of cleaning was now a dense forest, full of green trees and bushes in every direction. As far as you could see, the forest continued, ending only in a darkness as the light grew less the deeper you peered in. Beams of sun shot through the canopy of leaves above, sparkling off what seemed like fresh drops of dew on the greenery as chirps of birds and other small animals could be heard around them in a calming serenade.

"G-guys? You here too?" Kitanna stuttered. Although she seemed perfectly alert and aware of her surroundings, she was still obviously in shock and awaiting the reassuring voices of her comrades.

"That depends where here is…" Kuri replied in an awe struck voice, observing her surroundings as she slowly stood to her feet. Kitsune wrapped her arms around herself and shuddered. Oddly enough, they weren't as dumbstruck as one may think in this sort of situation. As unexpected as such an event, it wasn't the first time the three had experienced such occurrences. Although one can never really get used to it, learning how the cope and get ones bearings faster is an acquired skill after a while.

"I hate it…when this…happens," Kitsune said, getting to her feet and huddling close to Kitanna, who had stood up as well. Kitanna brushed a piece of misplaced hair behind her ear.

"Well, it's not always bad… although a warning would be nice…" Her somewhat blank expression turned into almost a scowl of irritation.

"Let's get going at least, or something," Kuri spoke up, getting stares from her friends of confusion and uncertainty. "We know where we are, Fushigi Yugi (I could tell from the book). If our past `dimensional-visits' are anything like this, then we should meet some people we know around here." Although trying to sound reassuring and confident, she wasn't feeling much better inside then the other two.

"I think I'll feel much better then," Kitsune said meekly. Despite even more so evident fear and curiosity of things to come, it was obvious to each other that all three of them had excitement welling up inside them at the idea of finding more of those they had always wished to meet.

The sound of a twig snapping not to far from them `caused them all to go silent as they peered around in anxiousness, hearts still pounding from it's unexpected-ness.

"Hey you!" The voice was rough and harsh. Turning, they saw two men, one a little shorter then the other and both wearing what seemed to be some sort of ancient Chinese armor. "In the name of the great emperor of Qu-Dong, you are ordered to stop." Since all three of them weren't moving originally, the order was easily carried out. The walked a little closer, the one in front slicing the bushes with his sword for easier access. They stopped a few feet from the girls. Kitanna took a step back.

"Even if the whole priestess shit is over with, the clothes these girls are wearing are considered `out of place' in my opinion," the other one said with a sneer. He turned to his friend with a devilish smirk on his face. "What do you say we bring `em back with us? If we can't get the reward for bringing them in, I'm sure the boys back home can… well…" He looked at the girls with a look that made them all cringe. "…have some fun with them." His partner smiled and slowly slid his sword back in its sheath.

Fear struck Kuri, Kitanna and Kitsune as hard as the realization. The three took steps back before taking off in a run, struggling through bushes and past trees, but trying their best to stay close together. "I hate feisty woman!" One of the men yelled, but almost seemed to take pleasure in the chase, running after them with minimal effort but gaining ground fast. Looking back to see how close they, in fact, were getting, Kitanna tripped over a large tree root, protruding from the earth. With a strangled cry, she fell to the ground with a loud `thud' causing Kitsune and Kuri, a little ways ahead of her, to stop.

The man who had yelled reached down as Kitanna struggled back to her feet and attempted to escape his grasp. He grabbed a handful of hair on the top of her head and pulled up hard. "Eeeeek!" She let out a quick and sharp scream of pain as he dragged her up from the ground. Her scream echoed through the trees.

"Kitanna!!" Kuri screamed. Without a second thought, she ran back and swiped blindly at the man. He laughed, as if it were merely sport to him. Shoving her hard on the chest, the man slammed the girl to the forest floor with his free hand. Kitanna continued to struggle with tears welling up in the corner of her eyes as she held the top of her head and the hand of her captor. Kitsune hesitantly took a step back towards them, watching in fear as the second man headed towards her.

"Excuse me…" A strangely familiar voice came from behind them. "But I don't believe they want to go with you." Kitsune fidgeted, staring wide-eyed at the newcomer.

"T-tasuki-san!"

--End of Chapter 2--