Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Chuushin ❯ Kakusare ta Chuushin ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kakusare ta Chuushin

By Asteria

Disclaimer: Fushigi Yuugi is the property of Ms. Watase Yuu. I am making no money from this story.

/////\\\\\

\\\\\/////

I have always known my place.

No one else is aware that I have this knowledge.

But when I work my spells, I can feel it, a smoldering warmth on the back of my neck, under my hair. It hums in the bones of my skull and the sound tries to force its way out of my mouth, but I hold it in. It pains my heart to hold it in, brings tears to my eyes not to lift my voice and release my power, but I will be stripped of my rank and standing if I am revealed.

Though I am young, I am a shaman of my people, the Jeh, who live in the South and East of Hokkan, practically in Kutou. We are related to the Hin, though most choose to ignore this, for the Hin worship the dark god Tenkou and we worship the gods of the skies.

I am a heretic and a hypocrite.

I was born to serve Genbu, the god of the State, but I choose to dedicate my life to the sacred magics of my people and the service of the sky gods. I dance the spells and recite the holy chants of my people, but in my heart I know that I will one day forsake my faith and follow a mortal girl, a mortal girl like me, to the salvation of Hokkan and my own death.

Even if I survive my service to Genbu no Miko, I will never be able to return to my people. For a shaman to leave the Jeh and carry away the sacred knowledge is an unforgivable offense. I will be declared dead. My family, friends and teachers will mourn my passing and if I should cross paths with any Jeh they will consider me a ghost.

I am not as worried as I should be. I accepted my destiny long ago. But until the day Genbu no Miko calls to me, I lock my power away and resist the urge to sing. For I am Genbu no Shichiseishi Namame, and although my heart is veiled, my soul rides among the stars.