Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Family Ties Part 2: Children of a Blessed Union ❯ Takato ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

II: Takato
 
 
Tasuki had arrived at Miaka's door shortly after Chiriko alerted him. He had one more banner to hang over the palace entrance when the youth came to him. The news of Miaka going into labor made him drop his current task like piece of crap. His wondrous ability of lighting speed got him at his destination faster than a shot. But even though he had arrived just in time for his child's birth, he could not enter the room.
 
 
Due to strict rules of society, men were not allowed to be present while a woman gave birth. Even if it was one's own wife, only midwives or female relatives were allowed to help with the labor. The anxious father-to-be almost cursed his fate of being a man. He soon felt a calm pat on his shoulder. Tasuki turned to see Chichiri, smiling sympathetically.
 
 
“Don't be so anxious. Women have their ways of doing these things, you know.” He motioned to the four midwives that the Emperor had personally assigned for the birth.
 
 
Tasuki watched the four women enter the room. Before the door could be shut, he caught a glimpse of Miaka lying on a bed on the room's farthest wall. Then his vision was blocked as the door slammed in his face. Dejected, the fiery warrior plopped his ass right in front of the door. He would wait there until spring if he had to. Chichiri joined him, sitting cross-legged on the wall opposite the doors. The monk secretly knew that sitting next to his comrade would be both their undoing. There the two sat nervously in the dimly lit corridor; unaware of the long night that awaited them.
 
 
Hours passed, and the afternoon turned to dusk. Soon the lamps that went along the walls were lit to accompany the night. While Tasuki practically paced up and down the hall, Chichiri waited patiently, meditating from time to time. Ever since it started, neither warrior was able to hear Miaka utter a sound from inside. That was unnerving since both men had heard rumors that childbirth was painful for a woman. The eerie quiet seemed too out of place even for their ignorance.
 
 
When the midwives began to putter in and out of the room, Tasuki didn't hesitate to ask them. “How's my wife? Is the baby born yet? Are they doin' okay? Say somethin'--” He asked questions a mile a minute, but the women merely passed by without a word.
 
 
Chichiri comforted his brother warrior's frustration. “Don't worry about it. I hear that these things take time, you know.”
 
 
Despite his friend's reassurances, Tasuki played the newbie father and began to fidget incessantly. The monk sighed.
 
 
~_~
 
 
As night drew to a close, the stoic energy dissipated. The midwives were then puttering two to three at a time. They carried bowls of water, more linen sheets and many jars of foul-smelling medicine. The door of the room constantly swung back and forth due to the coming and going. As Chichiri had foretold earlier, it had been best to sit a way's away from the swinging doors. Tasuki learned the hard way by being bombarded with blows to the face and back. The father-to-be hobbled next to the monk, sitting cross-legged with a new shiner to show for his foolishness.
 
 
Later, an excited-looking Nuriko dropped by. “Hey, you two!” he said too cheerfully. “How are Miaka and her labor coming along?”
 
 
“Lousy, just like yer timin', you queer!” retorted Tasuki.
 
 
Before the sassy Nuriko could shoot back, Chichiri came in defense. “Please, excuse his attitude. He's been frantic due to Miaka's long labor, and he chose to vent out his frustration, you know!”
 
 
Just then a piercing shriek ripped through the sanctity of the corridor. Both men and woman-impersonator had their hair stand on end. A midwife suddenly burst from the room, and spotted her two associates who had been out to gather more supplies. She frantically ushered them inside the birthing room.
 
 
“Hurry!” she ordered in an almost audible whisper. “Her eminence is about to go into the actual labor!” Another shrill cry from the unseen Miaka emphasized her point. The door slammed shut again.
 
 
Shell-shocked for only a moment, the three warriors fidgeted with fretful anticipation. More screams followed the previous ones; some louder than others. Out of pure habit, Chichiri held his prayer beads and began to mutter sutras. Nuriko fiddled with his long braid in a nervous frenzy. All the while, the new father sat where he was, arms crossed and leg jiggling. As some of Miaka's exclamations started to form intelligible words, Tasuki could only cringe as he found out they referred to him.
 
 
“I'M GOING TO KILL HIM! HE did this to ME!” she screamed from inside the room. “When this is over, I'm going to CASTRATE him! HE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO TOUCH ME AGAIN!”
 
 
The latter made the redhead slump to the ground with foreboding. Both his male comrades patted his back in empathy. He had to enjoy his sack while he could.
 
 
Condolences and damning grievances aside, the painful sounding labor reached its sharp climax. Not another midwife exited the birthing room. The loud cries gave way to muffled grunts and moans. All three celestial warriors stood stock still. When Miaka's exasperated panting was heard, the midwives' voices blurred in a flurry of demanding reassurances. The monk then clasped his hands in prayer, asking assistance from their god Suzaku. Soon Nuriko also turned to praying. Seeing both his comrades doing so, Tasuki finally clasped his hands together.
 
 
Almighty lord, Suzaku, the fire warrior prayed earnestly. Please, be kind enough to help yer former priestess, Miaka. She bears a child o' one o' your seven celestial warriors. As a favor in exchange for our homage to you…please help yer most devoted worshipers bring their child to th' world!
 
 
Suddenly, a shooting star passed by the window in the birthing room. Miaka was barely conscious enough to see it. The crimson light it emitted was warm and consoling. Seeing it made the priestess forget her pain and encouraged her to go on.
 
 
~_~
 
 
Elsewhere, miles away from Konan…
 
 
A figure dressed in a peasant's garb, looked up to the sky. He was just in time to see a scarlet star streak by. The light was so familiar he almost dropped his wares when he realized what it was.
 
 
“Suzaku!” cried Tamahome.
 
 
The ogre warrior had never felt the presence of his god for over a year. And now that it finally appeared, it only had time to twinkle at him before it disappeared over the horizon. Tamahome tried to gather his wits after witnessing what he saw. He picked up his bag of wares.
 
 
“Strange…” he said aloud, “after so long, Suzaku suddenly shows Himself.” He looked in the direction where the shooting star passed out of sight. “Why do I have a feeling that He was trying to tell me some joyous news?”
 
 
He walked down the lonely path again, but this time with a feeling of elation.
 
 
~_~
 
 
Not long after he made his prayer, Tasuki and the two other warriors heard a new voice. This seemed alien to the world, as if it had been used for the first time. It was the erratic cry of a new born baby. First it sounded with a long resonate cry then broke into throaty bursts. From inside the birthing room exclamations congratulated Miaka and her hard effort. The monk, the cross-dresser and the new father finally let out the breaths they'd been holding.
 
 
One of the older midwives exited the room. When she had entered she was neat as a pin, now she had her flowing sleeves rolled up and tight bun all disheveled. The thought lines above her brow were more pronounced due to the stress of the ordeal. But now she seemed to have a triumphant glow, which could only be known to a woman who has fulfilled her life's purpose.
 
 
“The babe is a son, my lord warriors,” she announced. “Her eminence did well.”
 
 
Before Chichiri could announce he won the bet, Tasuki pushed aside the old woman and entered the room. Nuriko and Chichiri tried to call him back, but they were too late to stop him. No man was ever allowed inside the birthing room. After getting over the surprise, the middle-aged midwife went after the wayward man, crying in outrage.
 
 
The redheaded warrior ran to his wife's side, ignoring the cries of indignation from the other women in the room. Miaka, who was also shaken by her husband's arrival, still gave a tired smile. He bent over to embrace her and kissed her temple. The new mother tried to push away her spouse.
 
 
“Stop that! Everyone's watching!” she scolded.
 
 
“I don't care,” said Tasuki, “I never want t' be away from you!” He held her for long moments despite the company's scrutiny. “So…” He pulled away slightly from her bedside. “From what I hear, I have a son!”
 
 
Despite her embarrassment of the public affection she answered, “Yes, you do.”
 
 
Then she held out her arms, and a midwife gingerly handed over a bundle of linen. Miaka held up the bunch of sheets for Tasuki's inspection. Tilting his head to peer into the tiny face, he gave a fanged grin. His genes weren't dominant at all; the child looked just like his mother. The boy had a round heart-shaped face and tufts of auburn hair. His nose was petite and his eyes were set farther apart. Even his sallow-looking skin was fair.
 
 
Oh, well. There's always th' next one.
 
 
After an appreciative silence, Miaka was first to break it. “Tas-kun,” she said, “I have a favor to ask of you.”
 
 
He switched his gaze to her. “Yeah, Mi-chan?”
 
 
“Would you ever consider… moving out of the palace?” She felt crestfallen when he looked at her strangely.
 
 
“Huh? What for?”
 
 
She avoided his gaze by turning her head to the side. “I was thinking of moving out of the Hotohori's palace, away from the capital.” She hesitated. “I thought it would be nice to live in a rural town like yours and raise our family there.” She paused. “Although I would understand if you wouldn't want to! I wouldn't want—!”
 
 
“Hey, whoa! Slow down! Wha' makes ya' think I'd say no t' you?”
 
 
“Well, you've been avoiding me for three months and…”
 
 
“Oh, shit. I'm sorry `bout that!” He held her and their baby close as promise to make up for lost time. “I didn't mean t' act like an ass fer th' past few weeks. I was just regretting taking you away from Tama… since ya' um, still love him an' all.”
 
 
“Oh, you don't have to worry about that…” Miaka murmured. Though that fact was still true even now, she was happy Tasuki took it into consideration. “I love you and our new baby.” She took the baby away from him and gave him a peck on the lips. “Anyway, will you at least think about what I said about moving?”
 
 
“'Think `bout it'?” Tasuki exclaimed. “I'll do even better! We'll move t' my hometown once ya get yer land legs back!”
 
 
“Oh, really, Tasuki?” her heart throbbed as she hugged him.
 
 
“Yeah, sure!” Though he was happy for the cuddle, he secretly grimaced. If they moved back to his hometown, that meant he had to face his dominating mother and five older sisters. And after he had vowed that he would never go back.
 
 
A clearing of a throat alerted them. The four appointed midwives looked at Miaka expectantly. Though the couple's exchange of sweet nothings was endearing, there were more important matters at hand. Miaka reluctantly detached herself from Tasuki's embrace. She held the baby for one of the midwives to take away as she tried to shoo out Tasuki.
 
 
“Hey, what gives?” He was miffed as two women shooed him toward the door.
 
 
“Afterbirth,” grunted the old midwife, whom Tasuki so rudely pushed out of his way.
 
 
“After-what?”
 
 
Tasuki was not even out the door when the old woman lifted the bed sheets, revealing Miaka's spread legs. When he heard the woman say `push', he thought that another baby was coming. But after he turned around to see, he found out that `afterbirth' did not necessarily mean `another baby'.
 
 
~_~
 
 
Chichiri and Nuriko tried to consol their friend as he relayed the horrors of the birthing room. They tried to make sense of his babbling, but all he said was `blood' and `lots o' blood'. In order to ignore Tasuki's rambling Nuriko asked one of the midwives the name of the boy.
 
 
She replied, “After the young master ran from the room, her eminence decided to name their son `Takato'”.
 
 
Behind his mask, Chichiri's eyes widened in surprise. He pondered Miaka's choice of that particular name. Secretly, Chichiri used his aura sensing powers to scan the room from the outside. After eliminating the chi of the midwives and Miaka, he was finally able to pinpoint the newborn's fresh energy. But after comparing the boy's aura with that of his estranged namesake, Chichiri verified his suspicions.
 
 
To be continued…
 
 
-_-
 
 
Author's Note: I read in a story concerning 18th century cowboys (don't ask) that during a woman's labor men wouldn't even be in the same house as the birth occurred. I thought since a bunch of rowdy cattle wranglers would be completely oblivious of a woman's burden, men of conservative ancient China would be more so. I also thought during that time, since a romantic relationship was kept discreet, public signs of affection must have been improper. I'm just making wild guesses; correct me if I'm wrong.
 
 
*SPOILER*
About Takato's name: `Taka' has the character `oni' in it.