Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Firebird ❯ More Senshi To Find ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Vera-chan: Wow! We're in the double digits now!

Luna-sama: You shouldn't sound so surprised………

Vera-chan: And people like it too!

Avia-san: Why are you surprised?

Vera-chan: ::Big cheesy grin.:: Okay, this chapter is dedicated to marcy213, my first multi-reviewer! I'm glad you like my fic, I've been working very hard on it! ::Looks at Luna and Avia:: With a whole bunch of help from my muses too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Firebird"

Ch. 10 "More Senshi to Find"

Everyone was saddled up and ready to go when Tasuki came running towards them.

"You weren't gonna leave me behind." He said looking around.

Almost everyone else was doubled up; Hotori and Yori, Chiriko and Sakana, Okami and Chichiri, Washi, Mitsukake and Nuriko were riding alone. He looked hopefully towards Mitsukake, but then saw supplies packed up behind him and climbed on behind Washi.

Hotohori stood by Hotori's horse, and the two said their goodbyes.

"Don't worry Hoto-sama." Hotori smiled. "We'll be back soon………besides I couldn't be any more protected if I tried."

"I know." He smiled back. "But I will miss you."

"Hey, Miko-Sama," Washi called. "Tsume would be more then happy to carry messages back and forth for you."

"Really?" Hotori asked. "Thank you!"

With that they were off again in search of the remaining three Suzaku Senshi.

* * * * *

After a week or so on the road, Nuriko talked Hotori into doing a little shopping in the town they had stopped in. Washi decided to come along on her first shopping trip.

"Oh, Washi this would look so cute on you!" Hotori smiled, holding up some pastel pink clothing.

"Um………no thank you, Miko-Sama………" Wash replied. "I don't care much for the color pink………"

"No," Nuriko looked as if he were thinking very hard. "Green would be more your color………"

Washi shook her head, and the three went on shopping. They were on their way back to the inn and Hotori was putting the rest of her change in her purse. They turned a corner, when a man ran past, snatching Hotori's purse. He would've made it away, but Nuriko grabbed his arm, stopping him.

"It's not nice to snatch a lady's purse………." Nuriko scolded.

The man tried to pull away with a strength equal to Nuriko's.

"I wasn't finished." Nuriko hissed. "Especially if that lady is the Suzaku no Miko!"

"Suzaku no Miko………?" He asked, his voice was rater soft despite the fact he appeared to be about 20. "Forgive me!" He bowed humbly.

"Are you………"Hotori took a few steps closer to the stranger. "A Suzaku Senshi?"

He nodded. "My name is Sekai, and I bear the symbol of the willow just above my heart."

"I think maybe you should come with us………" Washi said looking at the newest Senshi.

* * * * *

"I am truly sorry, Hotori-sama." Sekai apologized for the tenth time since they arrived at the inn. "It's just my mother is ill and my little sisters are so young. Usually I'm able to support them, but work has been very scarce lately, and I've had to resort to stealing."

"It's okay." Hotori replied. "I probably would've done the same thing if it were me."

She then began to introduce him to everyone else.

"And that's………an empty chair………" She turned to Mitsukake. "Where's Tasuki?"

"Local tavern………" he replied as calmly as ever. "Where else would he be when we have a free night………or any night at that?"

Hotori shrugged and went to write a letter to Hotohori.

"Sekai………"She called the newest Suzaku over. "I know you might be worried about your family. I could see if they could stay at the palace. I'm sure Hoto-sama would be glad to keep an eye on them for you."

"Thank you Hotori-sama." He smiled gratefully. "I must head home, my mother will be getting worried."

Hotori nodded and finished up the letter. She then walked over to Washi.

"Could Tsume take this to Hoto-sama for me?"

Washi nodded. "She'll be glad to.

The letter was sent and Hotori took a seat by Washi.

One by one, the Suzaku Senshi, old and new, went to bed, and still Tasuki didn't return.

Soon only Washi and Hotori remained, and Hotori sighed.

"It's really late, I wish I knew what was taking him so long………" She said, then looked over at Washi. "I don't suppose you'd want to go get him………?"

"Do I want to? No." Washi sighed, then stood up. "Will I? Yes, Miko-Sama, for you."

* * * * *

After locating the tavern, which was only a short walk away, locating Tasuki inside the tavern, and taking his Tessen, Washi began to drag him home.

"Why'd ya have to take my fan?" he slurred as the started on their way.

"Because you were about to burn the place down!" She replied. "I noticed the bartender was trying to put out a fire at one table already………"

They walked silently for a moment, then Tasuki threw an arm around her shoulder.

"I love you Washi." He slurred, then planted a sloppy kiss on her cheek.

"What the-?" Washi was resisting the urge to beat him to a pulp. "It's the sake………must remember………it's the sake………"

"You are like sake………" He went on, babbling beside Washi, arm still firmly around her shoulder. "I just can't get enough………"

Washi was glad to see that the inn was well within view.

Hotori bolted away from the window from which she'd watched the whole incident.

"Oh Tama………" She smiled at the sleeping cat. "We're making progress………"

* * * * *

The next morning, Tasuki came in with a hand on his head, and mumbling to himself.

"Stupid headache………" He sat down across from Washi. "I didn't say anything funny last night did I?"

"Oh no, nothing too odd………" Washi replied. "Just something about how I remind you of sake………"

Sudden realization hit, and his jaw dropped as he suddenly remembered everything about last night. He stood up quickly and looked at Hotori.

"I suppose we'll want to get on the road again soon?" He was obviously trying to change the subject.

"No hurry………" Hotori replied, her usual smile on her face.

Tasuki groaned, and sat back down, suddenly less hungry then when he'd come in a few minutes ago.

* * * * *

After saying goodbye to Sakana and Chiriko, who had offered to show Sekai's family to the palace then meet up with the group later, the remaining travelers were on the road again.

"We are very close to where Taiitsukun lives, no da!" Chichiri pointed out.

"I think we'll have time to make a detour." Hotori replied. "I'd really like to meet her."

They turned off the main road and headed up a dirt path . Hotori felt nervous, Taiitsukun was very important, but she also felt excited for the same reason. As She began taking in the details of the large mountain in front of her, she knew something important was about to happen.