Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Futago no Shukumei ❯ Playtime ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Playtime
Series: Futago no Shukumei (Twin Destiny)
Author: Sarit (su.ami @ verizon.net)
Rating: PG
Warnings: Playfulness, chibiness and all around cuteness! Friendship abounds….
AN: Gomen for forgetting this fic! Here is part two in my series of short twin fics!

Summary: During the twins' birthday, they venture off into the forest. What awaits them inside? Is it good or ill?

"KOUTOKU! SHUNKAKU! GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!"

The bellow from Bu-otousan went unheard as the twins giggled, running from their father and into the forest, hand in hand. They had just turned six, and were celebrating their birthday.

The entire village was celebrating the twins' birth. Bu-okaasan had been cleaning the boys up when they'd squirmed out of her hold, and laughing, escaped into the forest. They were so young and filled with laughter and love. Neither twin realized the significance of the day.

But the villagers did. Not only was it the day the twins were born, it was also the day hope entered the villagers hearts. The Bu parents could still remember that day. It had been dark, storming. Fitting as the twins' mother had been in labor for over ten hours. Lightening cracked, and with each crack of thunder, a baby's cry could be heard. The twins had finally been born.

Everyone was nervous at their birth, ,as twins were considered bad luck. But at the moment of their first cries, a blue symbol appeared. The kanji for "high spirits" appeared on the eldest left should as the kanji for "angle" appeared on his younger brother's right shoulder. A silhouette of a great dragon seemed to pass over them, and then disappeared.

From that time on, everyone in the village knew the twins to be blessed. They'd been chosen by Seiryuu-seikun to become two of his star warriors. And so the twins, Koutoku and Shunkaku, became known as Amiboshi and Suboshi. In fact, their very naming had been intentional. "Ko" was the word for "high spirits" as "kaku" was the name for "angle."

Every year there was a great celebration to mark the day hope had returned to the village in Kutou. Up until now, the twins had been too young to appreciate the festivities. But now that they were six, they were at the perfect age to participate.

At least that was their parents reasoning as they got the boys ready for the celebration. But the twins had other things on t heir minds. Shunkaku had told his brother of a large bird nest he'd seen in one of the farther trees in the forest. Both brothers felt it was natural to go exploring!

So the first chance that they had, they escaped their parents hold and made a beeline for the forest entrance. They were fast and nimble, able to dodge their father's grasp as they entered the forest. Laughing merrily, the two ran deep into the foliage, hand in hand. Shunkaku beamed; loving the fact his brother was so happy. Koutoku was usually so serious and solemn. It was rare that the elder of the twins allowed himself to act his age.

Climbing over rocks and fallen trees, the twins teased each other, smiles on their faces as they came to the center of the wood.

"No fair, Aniki!!!" Shunkaku pouted, coming to a stop near a stand of trees. His youthful face was puffy, signs of him recovering from a long illness.

Koutoku grinned, sticking his tongue out at this brother. "Not my fault you can't keep up."

"I CAN TOO!!!"

"Then prove it!" Koutoku grinned, taunting his brother as he dashed into the forest proper. Laughing, Koutoku ran quickly through the dense foliage of the forest. Shunkaku followed after his twin at a dead run. He wasn't going be left behind!

"Umphf!" Koutoku staggered forward as his brother ran into him from behind. But he never noticed. His eyes wide, he stared up at the tall man before him.

Koutoku had run straight into what could only be a warrior. The man was tall, towering over the two boys. He had ancient battle armor on, his long blondish-white hair falling down his back. Koutoku opened his mouth in awe, speechless.

"Aniki! Why'd you…stop…" Shunkaku stopped in mid-sentence, his eyes going impossibly wide. They'd never seen a warrior before and this one seemed so…powerful and strong.

The man smiled the coldness of his appearance softening as he gazed upon the twins. He knelt in front of the boys, a hand reaching out to brush their bangs away. "You boys must be careful. It is dangerous to go running off on your own alone.

Koutoku fidgeted, his eyes still wide as he gazed at this beautiful man. He felt…reassured and safe, even though he was a stranger. The young man smiled, sitting down on the ground. He began to speak, both twins mesmerized by his voice. It was so fluid, as beautiful as his face. Giggling, feeling safe in his presence, the twins sat down next to him, listening attentively to his tales.

Time passed, minutes turning to hours. The morning turned to dusk, the sun setting behind the forest. The warrior stood abruptly, his eyes serious. "I have enjoyed out time together, Amiboshi and Suboshi. Grow up strong and courageous. We will meet each other again one day." Koutoku opened his mouth, but closed it as the man walked away, mist covering him as he did so.

Shunkaku sniffed. He'd enjoyed the stories and wished they could have heard more. "Arigatou ojisan."

Koutoku looked at his twin, grinning. "Hai. Arigatou ojisan." Taking his brother's hand in his, he led Shunkaku out of the forest. He frowned slightly. There was an awful lot of smoke coming from the village…

"Come on, otouto. Let's go home."

"HAI!!"