Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ Girl Of The Moonlight. ❯ The Birthday Present ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I do not own the rights to Fushigi Yugi or the characters used in this story.

The sun shone brightly into the window just beside her bed, the one she had climbed through the night before. The rays of sunlight fall gracefully onto her bed, across her delicate legs and patches of light on her face. She groaned lightly as she rose her eyelids slowly, though shut them quickly again.
“Damn curtain, you should do your damned job.” She muttered to herself softly as she sat up in her bed. Her Father wouldn’t wake her, and her step mom wouldn’t wake her either, mainly because it was her birthday, though she knew that she should wake now so she could get the crappy family stuff over with. Though she was mainly a loner she still wanted to get out of the house, even on her birthday. A soft sigh escaped her as she stood slowly from her bed, her skirt and shirt from last night on the floor. Picking them up she laid them lightly on her bed, she undressed from her night gown and placed it on the bed next to the clothes she wore last night. Taking the skirt into her hand she stepped into it, pulling it up snugly around her hips, and finally slipping into her shirt.
Sighing lightly she knew today was going to be long, just like all the others. Moving toward her door she slid it open slowly, stepping out as silently as she could, though as soon as she had shut her door all the way she heard a loud ‘Happy Birthday!’ from her Father, step-mother, and Soi. Cringing slightly she pasted on a smile and turned around.
“Oh! Thanks!” She sounded chipper and cheerful as her honeyed voice was forced from her throat. She moved to her father and hugged him lightly, moving down the line slowly. “You guys really didn’t have to do this.” ‘And I mean really.’ She thought silently in her head.
“Don’t worry, Yurien, we’ve been planning this for a while, we even have a present for you!” Her father stated very happily. She felt bad now, because she knew that her family didn’t have a lot to begin with, only the love they held for eachother, and what little money that was sent home from Tamahome, and the bit of help they got from the emperor Hotohori.
Sitting slowly at the table she wobbled slightly in the old wooden chair. Sliding the chair into the table more she looked at the package that sat there in a small box. Biting her lower lip lightly she reached forward slowly, her fingers trembling.
“Take it, Yurien, dear.” Meiko, her step-mother, said softly in her already light voice. Grabbing the box quickly she pulled it into her chest, looking around she searched the eyes of her father, Meiko, and Soi’s. Sighing she looked down and opened the box slowly. Placing the box top on the table her gaze fell into the box, a soft gasp escaped her mouth as she reached into the box with slow fingers. Closing her eyes she slowly lifted the soft silver chain from the box, dangling on the chain was a jem, the color pink.
“Hotohori gave us the jewel. He said it came from Miaka’s bracelet in the failed summoning of Suzaku. Hotohori said it would bring you the undying protection of Suzaku as long as it remains close to your heart.” She closed her eyes as her father told her the story behind her present. She clutched the necklace softly in her hands, holding her hands against her chest softly.
“Thank you, all of you.” She opened her eyes and looked around the room.
“You should put your necklace on, Yurien, dear.” Meiko moved forward to help Yurien put the necklace on. Yurien’s gaze turned toward Soi after the necklace had been put on around her neck. Soi’s eyes glimmered slightly as the rays of sunlight caused a reflection off the pink jewel.
“Don’t lose that necklace, Yurien, it’s worth more than you’ll ever know.” Yurien’s gaze floated across the table toward her father as he spoke. His face was serious, though soft.
“Don’t worry, Daddy. I’ll take good care of it.” Her voice cracked slightly as she felt the weight of the necklace on her chest, it fell just low enough that it was right next to where her heart laid in her chest. “I think I’ll go change into something a bit more suitable, and go to see Hotohori, to thank him.” Her eyes were soft as she rose quickly, and with out another word she left the room, and went to hers.
Leaning against her shut door she breathed heavily and felt the warmth of her cheeks. It was an amazingly generous gift that her family had given to her, and she felt terrible about sneaking out of the house last night. She moved from the door, and began to change into her clothes that she usually wore to Konan when she would go to visit the emperor.Converting /tmp/phpzzkn1i to /dev/stdout