Fushigi Yuugi Fan Fiction ❯ The Universe of the Four Gods ❯ "Go after Miaka." ( Chapter 25 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
The rising sun washes over the courtyard, splashing the flowers into a new light. A stalwart breeze gently ruffles the stocks to create a rolling reaction, resembling an ocean of color to Zoku’s eyes. That is, if she’d cared. If she’d bothered to look beneath the image and see the beauty resting within the simple scene.

But, alas, she looks at the courtyard without really seeing it, usually sharp eyes bleak and dull. A fog seems to consume them, that not even the comforting weight of Pedru on her shoulder can chase away. The hawk, his hurt arm hanging gently at his side, perches comfortably on his shoulder and preens his chest, feathers brushing against Zoku’s cheek. She doesn’t really notice.

A ring of Kouto soldiers surrounds her, all on alert. They shift uncertainly and shoot Zoku looks when they think she’s not looking; they’re nervous. She doesn’t blame them. She hasn’t moved for about an hour now, merely staring at the courtyard’s flowers and occasionally stroking Pedru’s plumed back. She’s too lost in thought to really pay the soldier’s any mind; they knew their duties, and didn’t need her ordering them around.

Abruptly, a murmur ripples through the crowd, and the regime slowly parts to reveal Yui, flanked by two serving maids. As the priestess draws near, Zoku tears her gaze away from the flowers and turns languidly to her sister, ignoring the protesting squawk from Pedru. The hawk ruffles his wings, but nothing more, cocking his head to the side and planting one beady eye on Yui and her maids.

As is customary, the maids are garbed in supple white robes and keep their heads down in Yui and Zoku’s presence, though Yui isn’t so reserved. She is wearing a soft lilac robe with a darker velvet trim, gaze gentle on Zoku’s face.

“Sister,” Yui says in greeting, gesturing for her ladies in waiting to wait while she covers the last step between herself and Zoku. Zoku nods acknowledgement. “It seems everything is going well.” She takes a sweeping glance around at the soldiers, and where her gaze touches a shiver seems to run through the crowd.

“Indeed,” Zoku replies simply in a monotone voice. Her eyes, bleak and staring, are almost as uncanny as Pedru’s, but Yui ignores her unease behind a forced smile.

“That is good. Tell me, are they here yet?” Among other things, they had begun to realize that Zoku was able to sense, if weakly, those around her. For instance, she could tell when Yui was coming even before she’d entered the room.

Zoku purses her lips in thought, losing her hold in reality and letting her mind float in blackness. A heavy weight seems to push her down, but she ignores it, floating on the brink of consciousness. A light pull, a light presence, tugs at the back of her mind, and instantly her eyes slide open.

“Yes,” she replies simply, finding no need to say anymore. As Yui opens her mouth to say something, Zoku turns away, plainly showing her need for silence. Cutting short what she’s about to say, Yui frowns fixedly and steps forward, placing a hand on Zoku’s shoulder.

“Nakago found the Suzaku Warriors, Zoku,” Yui explains in a firm voice, gaze intent on her ‘sister’s face to see Zoku’s reaction. Zoku’s lashes flutter gently, but other than that she is still. “They were in…in the palace garden. Unfortunately, they escaped.” Yui’s brow furrows, though her eyes remain blank and detached. “Nakago says he might be able to track Tasuke and Chichiri down; they were the last to leave, and left the biggest trail.”

The girl is quiet for a moment as she processes this information, absently stroking Pedru’s belly. The hawk ruffles his good wing, purring in a hawk like way before rubbing his feathery head against her cheek. Zoku doesn’t react, though a hint of life writhes in her blank eyes.

“No,” she admits after a moment, as Yui turns to leave. “No, don’t go after Tasuke.” Yui doesn’t turn to face Zoku to hide her surprise and anger. She should’ve known this was the girl’s plot. She had lead them here in an attempt to bring Yui down. Well, she wouldn’t allow it. She’d have to talk to Nakago.

Then Zoku says something that shocks Yui even more.

“Go after Miaka.” Yui turns back around to see Zoku staring at her pointedly, and even though her gaze is blank, a knowing look enters her cold façade. “I’m sure you’ve been dying to get at her. Once we have her, the others will come willingly. They wouldn’t dare leave without her.”

After a silent moment of studying Zoku, Yui bows her head and turns with a sharp gesture to her ladies in waiting. Curtsying meekly, the two turn and hurry away in search of Nakago. Yui tosses Zoku a look, but the girl has already turned back to survey the courtyard, back rigid. Gaze narrowing, Yui turns and strides gracefully away, thoughts stormy as she plans to take down Miaka.