G Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Rise, Crusade Gundam! ❯ Celebrations and Challenges. ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“It was a pleasure, Mark. Our fight was something to remember. I'll look forward to our duel in the finals. “Vlad's handshake was firm, but exuded warmth. Despite his somewhat evil exterior, Vlad was genuinely a good man, someone who Mark would be proud to call 'friend'.
 
“The pleasure's all mine, Vlad.” Mark responded, smiling. “Next time, the outcome will be different.”
 
“You're right.” Vlad grinned. His grin was one of the kind in which both ends of the mouth appeared to reach the ears as they curved up. “I'll crush you in a matter of seconds next time.” Mark laughed in response.
 
“Oh yeah? So how come you let your arm get cut off by the cross so easily then? "
 
“A mere bagatelle. It was all a ploy to drop your defences. “The pair both started laughing heartily following this remark. Vlad noticed the attentions of his crew, and decided it would be time to leave. “Well Mark, I shall see you soon. Try not to get defeated. That's my prerogative.”
 
“Good luck, Vlad. And don't worry, if I could fight a loser like you to a standstill, what chance does the rest of the world have?” Mark waved goodbye to Vlad, and then turned around, to be greeted by his crew. And the anger of General Kitchener.
 
“Just typical.” Kitchener growled. “We spend all that money on a training regime for this kid, when we already have a perfectly good fighter here...”
 
“Ah, quit your spluttering, general...” Mark shook his head. He turned to an older man, who carried the look of authority about his person. His black blazer and expensive clothing in general implied a position of authority, such as a member of the Neo-England parliament. Such a guess wouldn't be far off: This man was the Prime Minister. “Sir, what do you think of my performance?”
 
“Mark, you performed magnificently out there. It doesn't matter that you didn't win; at least you didn't lose. Wouldn't you agree, General?” Kitchener glared at Mark in response.
 
“It's funny; you always taught me the best kind of battle is the one you could walk away from, general.” A young man, roughly Mark's age stepped forward, and put a hand on Mark's shoulder. “Personally, I think Mark's battle was pretty damn good. From what I researched of Vlad, he wasn't to be taken lightly. He smashed Neo-Iceland's Geyser Gundam in 2 minutes, and their fighter was a pro.” Mark looked back, and caught eyes with this newcomer. He instantly felt more at ease by this point.
 
This new arrival was Graham Dunne, Neo-England's strategist. As the top cadet of Neo-England's space force, his battle skills were invaluable in working out just how Crusade Gundam should fight. Coincidentally, he and Mark had been fast friends since childhood. Although, upon finishing secondary school, the pair had chosen different paths in life, their friendship remained constant. Graham's success in the military echoed Mark's success at university, and it came as little surprise the pair were chosen to be on Neo-England's crew, considering their links to the leaders of the country; General Kitchener viewed Graham with special favour, and doted upon him as the son he never had, while Prime Minister Barclay treated Mark as his own flesh and blood. It was this relationship that got Mark chosen as Neo-England's next Gundam Fighter. Originally, Graham was scheduled to pilot the Crusade Gundam, which was itself designed by Mark, due to his excellence in the army. However, Barclay noticed how deeply Mark seemed to care about the Crusade Gundam, and saw Mark's soul in the machine. In addition, Graham didn't appear to desire the position of Gundam Fighter much. However, Kitchener, by this point, had become overly excited about the upcoming Gundam Fight. Hence, he was suitably displeased once Barclay had asked Mark to be the next Gundam Fighter.
 
This announcement was a huge shock to everyone. Mark had no prior fighting experience, and could hardly be described as fighter material. Also, Mark hardly desired the position. Kitchener, too, became incensed, and argued earnestly for Graham to be the only option. However, the Prime Minister's decision was final. Graham, who had hardly enjoyed the prospect of being the next fighter, secretly hoped that Mark would agree. Finally, Mark himself could hardly care about the Gundam Fight; the only reason he took the job of designing the Crusade Gundam was to earn enough money and prestige so he could get any job he desired. He hated the Gundam Fight, as it was responsible for Earth rebels resurrecting the Devil Gundam seven years ago, and setting it loose in the colonies. Even though the Shuffle Alliance had defeated it before it could cause too much damage, it had wreaked dreadful damage in the colonies of Neo-England, Neo-France, and Neo-America. And to his family.
 
Mark lost his parents, and his younger brother, to a Gundam Head that had run free in his neighbourhood. Many families had lost loved ones, and his was no exception. Orphaned, and with no place to go, his prospects were dangerously bad. However, Prime Minister Barclay personally toured the colony, and adopted every orphan. With his help, and influence, each child managed to find new families, and got a second chance at life. Mark, on the other hand, showed no interest in being re-homed. The memories of his late family clung tight to his heart, and Barclay realised this. Hence, he took him in as his own flesh and blood, and the pair soon grew to love each other as father and son.
 
Because of this bond, Mark knew he couldn't refuse. He didn't like it, but he owed it to the man who cared for him when no others would. Also, he knew of Graham's apathy towards his enforced position, and he despised seeing his best friend under such stress. Finally, he just plain didn't like General Kitchener. His over-sized moustache and general pomposity made him appear comical, and he also possessed a hint of jealousy towards the amount of praise Graham had laid upon him. Of course, he wouldn't admit that.
 
It was later on that evening, and the entire Neo-England crew gathered at Barclay's home for a celebratory dinner. As well as General Kitchener and Graham, the crew consisted of technician Andy Yeoman, Doctor Sandra Bates, and the mascot, a small, spherical robot called 'Haro'. The crew all got on well together, and a great feeling of camaraderie could be sensed should one be around the crew and Mark is together.
 
The Prime Minister's home was a sight to behold. Furnished with the work of the finest carpenters of Earth, it was clearly the residence of somebody who had money in abundance. The tableware, as noted by the guests, was crafted in the finest silver. Evidently, this was the home of kings in times past.
 
“Well, it would appear our hopes have paid off, eh Mark?” Barclay nudged Mark with his elbow, and winked. Mark, in the middle of a mouthful of steak, nodded silently. He didn't necessarily agree. He just felt it'd be better to let Barclay think that the two years of intensive training had been worth it. Certainly, his fighting skills and strength had increased a hundredfold, but something within told him it hadn't made much of a difference. I should've beaten Vlad, he thought angrily. This phrase hung heavily in his head, and he couldn't rid it from his mind. This intense concentration was broken by the robotic squealing of Haro...
 
“Haro! Haro!”
 
“What is it, Haro?”
 
“Receiving transmission from Neo-France, Mark!” This announcement managed to silence the entire room. Haro turned, and pointed towards a large video-screen which was situated at the head of the room. The screen turned on, and revealed a man in his forties, with a delicate composure, and dressed in the royal clothing of Neo-France. Mark got up, and pointed at the screen, visibly stunned.
 
“Greetings, dignitaries of Neo-England. I apologise for interrupting your meal, but one cannot forget the inevitable time differences between our two nations...” The man chuckled slightly. Barclay smiled in return.
 
“Tell me, sir, what business do you have?”
 
“Forgive my clumsy manners; I have yet to introduce myself. I am King George De Sand of Neo-France. I am here to invite your Crusade Gundam against my fighter. Do you accept?” Mark sat down, and grinned.
 
“Your majesty, it would be a pleasure to battle you.”
 
“Wonderful. I shall see you tomorrow then.” The screen turned off, and all gathered looked about at each other. It hadn't been two days, and their fighter had received two challenges. Was this attention good...or would it prove harmful?
 
“Well, being challenged by a member of the Shuffle Alliance, no less. Do you think you can handle him, Mark?” Barclay again nudged him with his elbow. Mark simply shrugged his shoulders in response.
 
“Well, I think you're getting ideas above your station.” Kitchener growled. “If you think you could stop him, where you couldn't defeat a loser like Vlad, then you're mistaken.” Graham cleared his throat, halting the diatribe.
 
“You all seem to be forgetting one thing; he said, 'against my fighter'. Who says you're going to be fighting him?”
 
And then there was silence.