G Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Rise, Crusade Gundam! ❯ Vs Neo-France's Rose Mirage Gundam ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Mark awoke suddenly in a cold sweat. He was surrounded on all sides by darkness, and the wind howled in through the open window. As he wiped the sweat from his brow, he noticed he was shivering intensely.
 
His shaking hands fumbled about on top of the bedside cabinet, searching for the lamp. As he finally turned it on, he saw the time on the clock; three a.m. He pulled himself out of bed, and stumbled into the bathroom. Turning on the taps, he splashed his face with cold water, and stared deep into the mirror.
 
There he was. Dark bags underneath his eyes. Pale faced. And red-eyed. He slowly started to mutter to himself.
 
“What...was that? A dream? No...Not a dream. The worst bloody nightmare I've had in years!” He slammed his fist onto the wash-basin, and started to cough. He felt physically sick. He started to recall what phantom had menaced him during his rest.
 
He saw the Rose Gundam, as it was seven years ago, in his home colony of Neo-England. He saw the sky, ablaze. Long, dark green Gundam Heads bobbed about menacingly, like cobras before a snake charmer. Rose bits dashed about the skyline, leaving a dazzling trail of pink in their wake. There was a sense of dread about this scene, as the Rose Gundam found itself entangled by multiple Heads. Then Mark saw a sight, one which he had hoped his mind had forgotten.
 
His family, lying bleeding on the ground. But it was worse. He saw what appeared to be a cloth bandage over his father, one which wrapped around both him and his mother. However, he suddenly realised it was no bandage, but his intestine, and began to violently throw up. His brother's corpse lay nearby, only a few years younger than himself, but now a smashed example of the human body. It was barely recognisable. Then he screamed.
 
It was at that point he woke up. Mark began to breathe heavily, and choked out tears. He realised later that this repressed memory was brought on by seeing the Rose Mirage Gundam, as well as hearing George De Sand's voice. He could still remember it, pitch perfect, on that day, hearing him tell everybody to remain calm, and that nobody would die on his watch. He remembers hearing of the death count later, numbering into the hundreds.
 
Perhaps this was why he was so eager to fight George. As a means of vengeance for his failed promise, to avenge his family's life. He shook his head. He knew, deep down, George was hardly responsible for this. Without his intervention, the colonies of Neo-England, France and Germany would never have survived. It was really the Earth-based rebels who were to blame, but they were never found. Since that day, the Shuffle Alliance had yet to be seen again, at least as a fighting unit. There had been many rumours, and stories in the tabloids about sightings of Domon Kashuu, or even Argo Gulski, but nobody knew where those two had gone. Everybody knew Sai Saici had taken up training the new Shaolin Temple, while George had become ruler of his homeland. Chibodee, on the other hand, returned to his first love, boxing, and became undisputed world champ. However, he was eventually removed from the prize circuit following a scandal, and was rumoured to be found in many pubs, drinking his sorrows away.
 
Morning came slowly. No matter how hard he tried, Mark could not get himself to sleep, as the haunting images returned to him any time he closed his eyes. The sun rose quietly, unannounced, as it was not long before the city was blanketed in a warm light. Mark shielded his eyes as he looked out of the window. He was never used to having such bright light so early in the morning, and secretly couldn't wait to get this fight finished, and return home.
 
Breakfast was finished quickly, Mark eating in complete silence. Graham attempted conversation, but soon realised something was up, and let the matter drop. Barclay and Kitchener, on the other hand, seemed to be enjoying conversation with the Royal Family, and their laughter irritated Mark. Curiously, Jean-Luc sat alone, also in complete silence. Mark wondered why he chose to sit alone...after all, he seemed to get on very well with George, but at the same time, he seemed distanced from all others. But he figured it was none of his business, and instead left to see to his Gundam.
 
Working on the some of the knees joints, Mark saw and greeted Andy Yeoman.
 
“Hey, Mark! What can I do for you?”
 
“Andy, have you started work on the weapons yet?” Andy shook his head, signifying no. To this, Mark smiled and handed him some blueprints. “Tell me, do you think you can install these for the fight today?” Andy took off his goggles and slipped them above his helmet. He scratched his chin as he studied the designs.
 
“Hmm...Shouldn't be too hard. No prob, Mark. You'd better go get ready for the fight. I'll sort things out here.”
 
“Thanks, Andy.” As he left, he quickly shot him a 'thumbs up', which received a wink in reply.
 
The hours soon passed, and it was nearly midday, the scheduled time for the match. The arena soon began to fill up, and technicians began last minute checks upon the barrier. There were bad jokes circulating in which people wanted to the barriers as strong as possible, lest young Jean-Luc live up to his father's reputation. It was only through luck that he never heard these. Mark, on the other hand, felt pressure mount in his chest. His Crusade Gundam had been altered to fit his specifications, and was now sporting a giant shield on its back. Likewise, Jean-Luc knew his hour had arrived. It was time to escape his father's shadow, and break free of the stranglehold his family name had placed upon him.
 
George De Sand, along with his wife, and the Neo-England dignitaries, sat in a specially constructed box above the regular crowd seating. Here, George poured his guests a glass of wine, and sat back, running his fingers through his long, elegant hair.
 
“Well, my friends, I should expect we will have quite the show today. Your Crusade Gundam against the Rose Mirage Gundam...This could be very interesting.” George smiled, and took a sip of his wine. Bordeaux, F.C 35. That was a good year.
 
“Might I remind you, your majesty, that our fighter has been briefed by one of the greater cadets of our military? He ought to handle your Gundam with ease.” Kitchener placed his glass of wine to the side. He hated French wine, and personally felt that it lacked flavour, in comparison to Italian wine, at least. Barclay chuckled at hearing this remark.
 
“What's this? You're finally standing up for Mark?”
 
“Well, I...it's just a matter of national pride, that's all. " Kitchener folded his arms, knowing full well he had been defeated. " When's this bloody match expected to start, anyhow?”
 
“In roughly five minutes, general. In the meantime, I notice you have yet to sample some of this wine. I assure you, wine of this quality is hard to come by, and you really should try it.” George topped up his own glass, and looked at Kitchener. Barclay leant closer towards Kitchener, and urged him to at least taste it, for the sake of good foreign relations. Kitchener rolled his eyes, muttered some expletive about the French, and put the wine to his lips.
 
“Cheers.”
 
The time arrived. The two Gundams stood majestically before the crowd, the bright sunlight glinting off of them. The Rose Mirage Gundam was an unusual sight to many; it possessed the same head of the Rose Gundam, along with the same beam sabre and shield, but the rest was comprised of the same design as the original Mirage Gundam. The Crusade Gundam seemed fairly unspectacular in contrast, its simple red and white colour scheme being a bland contrast. George stood up, and his holo-image appeared over the arena.
 
“Now, Gundam Fighters, may this battle be one composed of honour, grace, and dignity! GUNDAM FIGHT!”
 
“Ready!”
 
“Gooooo!” The two mech dashed forwards, as was the usual Gundam Fight procedure, and grappled with their fists. Crusade Gundam held a slight strength advantage over the Rose Mirage, and Jean-Luc realised this as he felt his mech move slowly backwards. He knew such a situation would arise, however, and had prepared an adequate defence. He quickly let go, and dashed backwards, disrupting Mark's balance. As the Crusade Gundam began to sway, the Rose Mirage unleashed a barrage of missiles from one of the armaments on the shoulders. It quickly fell down, leaving Mark cursing his own stupidity. He managed to get up quickly, before any further attacks could be landed upon him in such a vulnerable position. He whipped out the shield from behind, emblazoned with the same Red and White cross as his Gundam, and covered his body with it.
 
Jean-Luc knew his missiles would have little effect at this point, and decided it would be a good time to unleash the Rose Bits. They could attack from all directions, making the shield potentially useless.
 
“Well Mark, that's a good shield there, but it's not going to help. ROSE BITS!” From the shield on his left shoulder came the bits, small laser cannons mounted on an esoteric design of a rose. Controlled mentally, they could attack anywhere, from any angle. Mark suddenly experienced a flashback, and saw once again his terrible nightmare. He grit his teeth, and swore not to give in. To fall at this point, before even starting would only serve to crush him.
 
The time for thought was over, however, as the bits flew towards him at an incredible speed. Knowing full well his shield would offer protection only to his front, he knew it was time to reveal his second surprise... Reaching into the same leg socket from which his lance came from, he picked out what appeared to be the same handle which became the lance. Seeing this, Jean-Luc scoffed.
 
“A beam lance? The range is far too long for it to affect the bits. Is this some sort of joke?” Jean-Luc raised an eyebrow. “Never mind. It's time to end this. ROSE SCREAMER!” At the sound of this, Mark instantly pressed a button on the handle, which shot out a large beam sabre, of near broadsword size. The crowd was audibly shocked at this development. Graham, sitting in the audience with audio contact to Mark, gave a little cheer.
 
“Good thinking, Mark. Now, you'd better get rid of those bits before they paralyze you...”
 
“Not a problem, Graham.” Using the sabre and shield combined, Mark managed to both block and destroy many of the offending bits, leaving Jean-Luc's assault a failure. “Now, I believe it's my turn, Mirabeau.” The mech charged forward, shield first, towards the prone Rose Mirage Gundam. Jean-Luc growled, and quickly whipped out his beam sabre. The pair clashed in a spectacular display of fencing skill, and general swordsmanship.
 
“So, Mark, I never did find out why you became a Gundam Fighter. I trust it is out of pride for your country?” Jean-Luc inquired. Mark was taken aback at such small talk during a deadly fight, but he realised he was also highly over-confident, a flaw he could use to his advantage.
 
“For my friends, and those who have made me the man I am. Not for my country.” Jean-Luc was surprised to hear such a comment.
 
“What? Gundam Fighters fight for the pride of their country foremost! Even my family name falls second to the nation's pride!” He leapt back, and fired more missiles at the Crusade Gundam. “You cannot be serious!” The missiles were easily blocked by the shield, and Mark stood his ground in response.
 
“Blind nationalism is what has caused this fight to continue for so long. Ideas like the ones you're entertaining are what caused the return of the Devil Gundam seven years ago. I am a product of all of that.” He roared, and charged forward with enough ferocity all were taken aback. He rammed the beam sabre into the shoulder of the Rose Mirage Gundam, and began to calm down. “I hope you understand. Such self-serving notions are what killed my family, and countless others seven years ago. I cannot...will not, allow anything like that to happen again.” Jean-Luc lay back in pain, holding his shoulder, now severed from MTS control.
 
“I see...do you feel that human nature is really so pathetic? That we cannot continue as long as the fight stays? I refuse to accept that notion. I'm sorry, Mark. You are indeed a good man, and I am sorry to hear of your loss, but this fight must stay. Otherwise, there is total war.” The Rose Mirage Gundam pushed itself off of the sabre, and stood back. “We fight to preserve a peace.” Mark grimaced in response.
 
“If the Gundam Fight is truly the icon of peace you claim it is, then why is there such opposition? Why the attempt to destroy the colonies?”
 
“There are always some who will challenge the status quo. It is always the case. But you cannot justify removing a system which ensures peace in exchange for notions such as globalisation. An Earth Federation will never be able to satisfy everybody. History has proven that.” Mark hung his head low upon hearing this.
 
“Perhaps you are correct. But I will keep fighting for my beliefs! Not for the country! I will fight for what I believe in!” The Crusade Gundam rammed Rose Mirage with the shield, before pointing the sabre at the neck. “Now. I believe you have lost.”
 
There was total silence. The crowd was in awe at the clash of ideologies and mecha. In fact, many started to applaud. This was one of the most spectacular fights yet seen in Gundam Fight history. Jean-Luc smiled, and nodded in response.
 
“You win, Mark. Congratulations. Now, remove my head. I shall revive this nation's honour...along with my family...next time.”
 
“Why wait? " Mark pulled the sabre away.” You have no need to be removed this time. Keep fighting. I want another match with you, in the Finals.” He offered a helping hand up. Jean-Luc reached for it, and the crowd erupted into cheering.
 
In the VIP box, George shed a tear. Maria Louise was clapping furiously, while Barclay merely smiled, and nodded his head. Kitchener, on the other hand, was furious he didn't behead Rose Mirage Gundam and eliminate the possibility of seeing it in the finals, but secretly he rejoiced at the fact he won at all. George walked to the open window, and dropped a rose from it, which landed onto the battlefield, onto the Crusade Gundam.
 
“A beautiful fight. You have my thanks, Mark Anderson, for such a brilliant duel.”