G Gundam Fan Fiction ❯ Rise, Crusade Gundam! ❯ Vs Neo-Vatican's Pope Gundam. ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Neo-Vatican City had never previously participated in a Gundam Fight. The Christian mantra of pacifism forbade participating in such an event. This does not necessarily mean that the church condemned the fight; instead, it praised the concept as a bloodless and intelligent solution to war.
 
However, a new Pope of the Catholic Church came to power in F.C 78, following the demise of the previous Pope. This man, Pope Simon Peter the 1st of Future Century, believed it would be best, having witnessed the horrors of the second Devil Gundam incident, for the Catholic Church to take control of space, and lead humanity into a better future. Of all of the countries on Earth, the Vatican was one of the few that did not have a colony counterpart; instead, it possessed a great stake in the colony of Neo-Italy, and from there the Pope conducted his business in space. However, it was decided that should the Neo-Vatican win the Gundam Fight, then Neo-Italy would relinquish control for the next four years, until such a time that the Neo-Vatican either loses the fight, or abstains from entering.
 
This new Pope was regarded by many of the clergy as being somewhat fanatical in his faith, but in such a fashion it inspired his followers. He was young, only in his late twenties, when he was ordained as leader of the faith. Many of the cardinals considered such youthful fanaticism would serve greatly for the religion, and although shocked when he announced his plans to enter the 20th Gundam Fight, they obeyed without question, understanding his decision.
 
As a fighter, Simon Peter was surprisingly skilled. He had absorbed all the literature on the likes of the Knights Templar, and other such secret societies under the Catholic Church's employ. Hence, he was a warrior monk first and foremost, dedicating himself to ridding the world of corruption, and evil.
 
His first match against the Maple Gundam of Neo-Canada shocked all, especially considering that the odds were stacked against him; Neo-Canada's fighter was a veteran of three previous Gundam Fights, never having won any, but always achieving a high position. This sudden defeat was a major upset, and as such the Neo-Vatican Gundam became an enigma; nobody could be quite sure what to make of it.
 
Mark found the Mediterranean heat somewhat stifling. Much like Neo-France, the locals didn't seem to care much. It appeared he was the only one of the crew who found it irritating as well. Haro had been specially configured not to spout the temperature out at random intervals by an enraged Mark during their stay at Neo-France, and he was glad he didn't return Haro to normal. Instead, it just bobbed about, occasionally being pointed at by interested children.
 
General Kitchener, ignorant of the magnificent architecture, found the Vatican a little too stuffy for his liking. The heat could be seen visibly rising above them, evidenced by the 'wobbly' air on the more narrow streets. Kitchener had no particular love of either heat or religion, meaning he became more irritable than usual. Each time he passed a robed priest, he had to be physically restrained from making a remark like 'nice dress', which tired Graham out.
 
In order to challenge Simon Peter, all Gundam Fighters needed to attend a mass held especially by him, in St Peter's Square. Although Kitchener baulked at such a concept, Mark had no problems, and decided to go there by himself.
 
The crowd in St Peter's Square was enormous. Gundam Fighters from across the world mingled with locals and pilgrims, in a spectacular gathering of people. As Mark looked about the crowd, he suddenly caught eyes with a woman. She seemed roughly his age, and had long, silky black hair. Her eyes seemed crystal blue, and her skin was slightly tanned, marking her out as having come from the Middle East. She looked back at him, but quickly turned her head. If he didn't know better, Mark could have sworn she was blushing. He began to move through the crowd to talk to her, but the mass had started.
 
It was a service unlike what many had expected. Simon Peter was also a sight to behold, his shock of dyed red hair sticking out from underneath his Mitre. His glasses were small, yet perfectly formed for his head, which was long, and angular. He certainly looked too young to be a cardinal, let alone a pope. His voice was powerful, and commanding, suitable for a man whose job was to convert. Certainly, Mark felt his spiritual side come out. However, he couldn't keep his eyes wandering from the girl, who appeared to be deeply involved in the Pope's words.
 
The service came to an end, coinciding with sundown. As people began to leave, Mark remained where he was, along with many other Gundam Fighters. He couldn't find the girl from before any longer, to his relief. Fighting her would be tricky. Simon Peter remained eerily quiet, on his balcony above them. Suddenly, he caught eyes with Mark, and smiled.
 
“Neo-England Fighter?” Mark stepped back, surprised to have been picked.
 
“Yes, your holiness?” His voice had a slight hint of sarcasm as he spoke.
 
“Tomorrow, at 10am. We shall do battle then. God be with you. “With these words, he turned on his heel and entered the chapel. Mark was surprised at this method of challenging, and evidently so were the rest of the fighters.
 
“Good going, jerk.” Mark felt a jab in his side, and saw a large individual with a cigar sticking out of his mouth. “Been waitin' here a good three days, and you come and steal the glory.”
 
“Maybe he was just irritated by that smell.” Mark plucked the cigar from his antagonist's mouth, and dropped it on the floor. He then proceeded to stamp it out.
 
“Now you just gone and made me mad, boy.” The large individual grabbed Mark by the arm, and lifted him into the air. “How about I pop you one, nice and slow...then the real fun begins.” Mark struggled vainly against this man's strength, which far exceeded his own. He saw a fist raised, about to strike, then he fell to the ground with a start. As he shook the dust from his clothes, he saw Simon Peter, standing on top of his aggressor, without the mitre, and wielding a large staff with a crucifix on the end.
 
“He who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted and those who do so will bring judgement upon themselves.” Simon Peter got down from his vantage point on top of the aggressor, and met with Mark. “I apologise for this fool's actions. I trust you will not exact vengeance? “Mark raised an eyebrow.
 
“This guy picks a fight with me, and now I'm not to hit him back?” He thought, confused. However, this would-be assailant had gotten up, and had begun ranting and raving once again.
 
“Oh, you think you're so good, dontcha? Well, I'm challenging you right here, right now! " Simon Peter glanced over his shoulder.
 
“I don't need my Gundam to defeat the likes of you.” He quickly executed a back flip, and landed directly behind him, holding his staff against the throat. “Now. Leave my land. Your wrathful intent is not welcome here. “The angered individual started hissing, and violently shook about.
 
“You wait, you dress-wearin' pansy!” He slammed his elbow into Simon Peter's stomach, and quickly moved out of harm's way. “You're messing wit' the pride of Neo-Cuba, boy! Show a little respect! " He moved to punch him, but had his arm grabbed by Mark.
 
“You heard the man. Now get out. “Mark spoke calmly, without hesitation. The Neo-Cuban merely growled, seeing the crowd was turning against him.
 
“A'right. You'll get yours later, kid. " He turned to Simon Peter, with a vicious look.” Before I go... " A large saliva stain appeared on his robes. Simon Peter casually pulled a tissue out of his robes, and dabbed the stain. Mark clenched his fists, and glared at the now-leaving man from Neo-Cuba.
 
“Why aren't you going after him?”
 
“Turn the other cheek, my friend. As simple as that. “Mark shook his head. How could somebody with such morality be such a good fighter? It boggled the mind. “Now then, I trust I shall see you tomorrow?” Mark noticed the crowd was dispersing, the excitement over. Still no trace of the girl, Mark thought to himself. A relief?
 
Mark slept fairly well, his dreams haunted by the image of this mysterious girl. He knew he'd probably never see her again, but he couldn't help but feel attracted to her. She was certainly one of the most beautiful women he'd ever seen in his life. For some reason, this troubled him; since he lost his family, he'd always felt he had no time for girls, but this one was making him change his mind. He tried to focus his mind on the match, tried to recall what tactics he had seen in the match on the television. However, this was to no avail, his mind still wandering. When he finally awoke, he ran a hand through his hair, and noticed his mouth was dry, and parched with thirst. He hated that.
 
As he breakfasted with the crew, Graham briefed him over the stats and techniques of the Pope Gundam.
 
“First, you gotta watch out for that staff of his. It's got a longer range than you suspect. "
 
“Uh-huh.”
 
“Also, it doesn't have any long range weaponry, save the staff, so you don't have to worry about hanging back while you plan your next move. It appears he's mainly a counter-attacking fighter, so watch your step. "
 
“Uh-huh.” Graham leafed through some blue-prints.
 
“It doesn't appear there's any structural weakness, either. It's quite slow moving, but it's got both power and technique. "
 
“Uh-huh.” Mark suddenly felt General Kitchener's hand against the back of his head.
 
“For God's sake, listen, will you?”
 
“Uh, sorry, General, I guess my mind just wandered... “Mark shook his head. He knew perfectly well what was distracting him, and felt all the worse for it. He never quite expected himself to be the guy with a schoolboy crush on somebody he'd seen once.
 
“Anyway, that's all I've got. There might be more surprises, so keep on your guard. I think the lance weapon system would work best here, unless you've got some other ideas... “Graham put down the papers, and looked at Mark. " Be careful, huh? We wanna give the crowd there a good match, and getting whupped now would really ruin it for them. " Mark chuckled in response.
 
“To say nothing for Neo-England, huh? You got it, guys. "
 
The match took place in the early morning, following Simon Peter's morning service. Because of this, the stadium was packed to the brim with both church-goers, and Gundam Fight enthusiasts. Mark, in the Crusade Gundam, waited anxiously for his opponent. The brilliant sunlight was even stronger than in Neo-France, and Mark cursed this, knowing full well that would work against him.
 
Suddenly, the arena became alive with the sound of music. Chorale music from over a millennium ago echoed throughout, the close harmonies spectacularly coming together in such a tight space. The sheer beauty of the music brought many to their knees, and into prayer. Others simply sat and quietly appreciated. Finally, Pope Gundam itself solemnly advanced into the arena, before genuflecting.
 
“In the name of the Holy Trinity, victory shall be mine.” Simon Peter silently whispered a prayer, and followed by marking himself with the Cross, and entering into a battle stance. “Mark Anderson, are you ready?”
 
“Let's do it.”
 
“GUNDAM FIGHT!”
 
“READY!”
 
“GOOOO!”
 
The two mech rushed forwards, and grappled for a short time. Mark remembered Graham's warning about Pope Gundam's greater strength, and suddenly recalled the same tactic that Jean-Luc Mirabeau used against him; suddenly letting go and dashing back, he saw Pope Gundam begin to sway, and decided a quick victory would be better than none. He withdrew the lance from his leg compartment, and charged forward. However, Simon Peter managed to regain his balance well before anybody suspected, and managed to knock the lance from Mark's hands before any damage could occur.
 
This was right where Simon Peter wanted him. He knew about the George's Cross, and grabbed both of the Crusade Gundam's arms. He heard Mark cry out in pain, and winced. He didn't particularly enjoy the fight, but understood it as a necessary evil to achieve the victory he required. However, this hesitation to attack also relaxed his grip, allowing Mark to break free, and dash back to avoid further injury.
 
“Right, open secure channel. Mark saw a video screen with Graham open up in his cockpit. “Graham, I can't get to the lance now without getting my arms crushed again,” he rubbed his arms gingerly. “What do I do?”
 
“Get the George's Cross out, it looks like our only hope at the mo.” Mark nodded in confirmation, and shut off the video link. He stood back against the barrier, a reasonable distance from the Pope Gundam, and underwent the necessary motions. He heard cheering from the fans, which obviously enjoyed seeing the Fighter utilise their top weapons.
 
“You're a good fighter, Simon Peter, but it's time to take you down a notch! Neo-England's ultimate weapon! GEORGE'S CROSS!” Mark's voice had become a roar, adrenaline pumping through his veins. Curiously, he wasn't sweating at all. Simon Peter, on the other hand, was a picture, his body into perfect balance, a technique he had developed to prevent his emotions from interfering in a fight. He remained like this, even when he saw the might of Crusade Gundam, hurtling towards him, armed with a weapon that could remove a Gundam's limbs with a single slice.
 
Mark, too, noticed this odd calm that Simon Peter displayed, but ignored it, his rage now potently focused enough, into a single, powerful strike. The distance between the two Gundams had become closed in only a few seconds, and now the Crusade Gundam was close enough to swing the Cross and decapitate Pope Gundam. Mark grinned evilly, and lunged with all of his might, his entire body weight behind the weapon.
 
Simon Peter noticed this, and simply ducked. This tactic surprised all, especially General Kitchener, who was banging his head against a wall at this point.
 
“The most powerful weapon we have...ducked...this isn't happening...” Mark too, was thrown by this sudden move, and had left himself open, which Simon Peter took advantage of. Knocking the Crusade Gundam back, he then performed the sign of the Cross, to the surprise of many.
 
“Now, Mark Anderson, you shall understand why it is foolish to challenge the might of God.” Before Mark could register what was happening, he screamed in pain. He looked at his hand, and saw a spike had run straight through it. And then the same happened to the other hand. And finally, the neck. The sheer force of these spikes flying through the air pushed him against the barrier, pinning him there. “You have been defeated, I am afraid. There is no escape from my Holy Stigmata attack. Now, surrender.”
 
Mark choked. The feeling of a spike through the neck was enough to flatten even the strongest of people, and Mark was no exception. His breathing became laboured, and his arms began to ache from the intense pressure placed upon them by the enforced arm position. However, his will remained indomitable, and his legs could still move. Looking down, he saw the arena was very dusty, and struggled out a small smile.
 
“This fight isn't over yet!” He cried out, and kicked the dust into the air. The huge cloud blocked many of the Pope Gundam's sensors, and as a result, Simon Peter was virtually blind.
 
“Blast! Where are you?”
 
“Look up above, your holiness!” Simon Peter looked up, and instead was suddenly blinded by the sun's rays. Mark had to stop himself from laughing as he saw the Pope Gundam fall for such a trick. He was still pinned to the wall, but had now regained the strength to pull him free. As he saw Simon Peter stumble about, still blinded, he knew his mission. Regaining the fallen lance, he rushed forwards, and rammed it through Pope Gundam, just under the cockpit. “I think it's time for you to surrender.”
 
“Blinded...by the light of God. Just like Saint Paul. And now, a lance through my side. I have shamed my people, and my creed. Behead me, Mark.”
 
“No. You haven't beheaded anybody yet, and I understand at least one Christian rule: Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.”
 
“You're more learned than I thought...”
 
“Keep on fighting, Simon Peter. And we'll meet again at the Finals. Your noble dream doesn't have to end here.”
 
“...thank you, my friend. I shall improve myself, for when we meet next. God be with you.” Regaining his vision, Simon Peter solemnly exited the arena to the sound of applause. Neo-England had won again, to everybody's surprise. Mark waved for the crowds, many of whom were loyal fans now. He stopped suddenly, at the sight of one face in the crowd.
 
“You...” She tossed her dark hair back, and silently mouthed something. Mark cursed his inability to lip-read, and cursed even more upon seeing her leave. “Who are you?” Mark had won, but he felt in many ways it was a pyrrhic victory; he had indeed defeated another powerful opponent, but he had seen somebody he will most likely never see again, and his heart ached at the thought of this.