Gakuen Alice Fan Fiction ❯ I Love You, In My Own Way ❯ A Moment Of Comfort ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 - A Moment Of Comfort
“It's ok, Mikan. He's going to be ok,” assured the blonde teacher, Narumi. However, Mikan was paying the slight attention to what her teacher was saying. Narume patted her shoulder
Mikan stared at the door of the room, Natsume was getting treatment from. If anything happened to Natsume, she didn't know what to do. If she realized about the bleeding earlier, maybe he would've been…a sudden urge to cry hit Mikan, but she fought it with struggle.
The door suddenly opened and out came the doctor, holding his medical equipment. Mikan rushed to the doctor and she anxiously fired him with questions.
“Is Natsume ok? Is he going to die? What happened to him? Can I see him?”
“Calm down my dear, he just needs some rest,” Smiled the doctor at Mikan. He patted her head smiling and then gave Narumi a serious look. Narumi nodded at him and motioned for him to follow him.
Mikan, as dense as she could get, never noticed it. Instead, she walked towards the door and stopped in front of it. She bit her lower lip and pulled the handle slowly. Mikan pushed the door open and peered inside. She noticed a single bed, which was occupied by the fire caster.
Mikan walked towards him and sat on the chair next to him. Mikan blinked when she noticed that Natsume was shirtless. His shoulders and his arms were the only things that were visible; his other parts of his body were covered by the blanket. A light blush covered her cheeks and she tried to think of something else.
Natsume breathed slowly; his chest rising up and down slowly. Mikan noted that Natsume looked so cute when he's asleep. Well, it's better than him being awake and always having a frown on his face. Mikan smiled unconsciously and her eyes landed on his lips.
Mikan blushed furiously. She shook her head sadistically and looked away in order to get rid of unwanted thoughts. A light groan pulled Mikan back to Natsume's face. Natsume squeezed his eyes shut tightly, he gritted his teeth and sweat formed on his face.
Mikan apprehended that he was in pain. She leaned closer to him.
“Nastume…are you ok?” she asked. She held his hand and bended closer to him. “Are you awake?”
Natsume moaned softly. Mikan noticed with alarm that a single tear escaped his tightly shut eye. Natsume was crying. The almighty and emotionless Natsume Hyuuga had cried just now…and Mikan saw it.
Mikan panicked and didn't know what to do. Before she could think of anything, a pair of strong arms pulled her down roughly. Things couldn't get any worse and now Mikan was pressed chest to chest on Natsume. Her upper body was trapped in Nastume's arms and her other half dangled of the bed. Sure the position was uncomfortable for Mikan but she didn't dare to move.
-
-
“So?” asked Narume sensei.
The doctor sighed, “It's the second time this month. Mr. Hyuuga should rest these upcoming couple of months,” said the doctor in a serious tone. “It's really dangerous for his health. Next time, luck might not be by his side.”
Narumi nodded, “I see.”
“This time the bullet hit the side of his waist, but it only scratched his skin. However,” warned the doctor, “it was more precarious than before.
The constant use of his alice will limit his life span,” the doctor continued. “So I forbid Mr. Hyuuga to go on other missions, until I say so.”
“Hai hai,” assured Narumi, nodding. The doctor left. Narumi sighed, I have to talk to persona about this, but now I'll go see how Natsume is doing.
-
-
Natsume's head fitted nicely between the area of Mikan's shoulders and neck. Mikan's cheek was pressed against his cheek. Mikan eyes were wide with astonish and her heart was beating like drums against her rip cage. Natsume's arms were still secure around her.
“Mum…”
Mikan's ears perked up; did she just hear Natsume murmuring `mum'?
“Mum…dad…”
Mikan blinked twice and then a memory popped in her brain.
Two years ago, when he was only eight years old, he turned his hometown in to a sea of flames in a single night,” said Rio, the famous singer. It was the day Natsume got kidnapped by Rio. Mikan and Sumaire went to rescue him, but they ended up getting caught themselves. “The alice academy realized that somebody's Alice was responsible. Since the academy worked for a government, they covered it up and told the public it was a result of arson,” continued Rio.
Mikan's heart squeezed in pain. Natsume missed his parents. The only things she know about his parents are, they died because of the flames and from Rio's words, Natsume caused the flames. Natsume carried the guilt all his life and he never spoke of it, Mikan thought with stun. Natsume…
Don't say things like that when you don't know anything!” Ruka's words rang in her mind. “There is no way that you, who doesn't have an unwanted alice, could understand Natsume's feelings…”
“…Natsume's feelings…”
“…you'll never understand it…”
“…never…never…never…”
Mikan's eyes stung and tears formed in her eyes.
Mikan…” said her grandpa's voice in her head. “Not everyone in this world can be happy; everyone has their problems, worries and fears. However, it's really nice to put a smile on someone's face.”
Mikan sobbed quietly. She wrapped her arms around Natsume and muttered in his ears, “Sorry…I'm sorry Natsume…”
-
-
Narumi walked towards Natsume's room. Come to think of it, where's Mikan? Narumi stopped in front of the door and grabbed the handle.
“Narumi-sensei, Narumi-sensei!” shouted one of the students of Alice academy, he was a boy and he had glasses on.
“Yuu, what are you doing here? You're not aloud to come to the hospital building with accompanying by teacher…” Narumi paused, when he saw the worried look on yuu's face. “What happened?”
“Sensei…” said, Yuu, panting slightly, “there has been an accident in one of the laps.”
Narumi's face changed in to a worried look. “When?” he asked anxiously.
“A couple of minutes ago…”
Narumi went quiet before he asked, “Is there any injuries?”
“…um…I heard two students were injured. One of them is male and the other student is a female but I didn't catch their name, but they are from class B. And they are both from technology type Alice.”
“Lead the way,” ordered Narumi, following Yuu.
-
-
I'm sorry Natsume, I am sorry for not being there,” said a voice.
Natsume turned his head to the voice and his eyes widened in shock. It was his mother, but she was drifting away. Everything was dark around them.
Mom…” said Natsume, reaching his hand for her.
Natsume,” uttered a deep voice. “It's not your fault. Whatever happened is not your fault.”
Natsume recognized it instantly. “Dad…”
Natsume smiled faintly and walked towards his mom and dad, when suddenly a fire appeared in front of him, circling his parents in a huge circle of flames. Natsume stopped abruptly and his breath caught in his throat.
Dad…mom!” shouted Natsume running towards them, but he was stopped by another flames circling around him.
Natsume dropped on his knees, sweat formed around his face and his eyes became blurry. Then, he dropped on the floor unconscious.
Natsume eyes flew open. His panted slightly and he can feel sweat trickle on his face. It was just another dream…he sighed Natsume in relief. Natsume looked around him. He only remembers the bit when Mikan was sat beside him under the Sakura tree and then...thats all. He must have fainted becasue of the pain at he waist.
“I'm sorry Natsume…” said a voice in his ear.
Natsume froze. He was sure that he wasn't dreaming right now. That's when Natsume realized there was a weight on him and his arms were circled around something…or someone?
He smelt a familiar scent. Strawberry scent. Natsume breathed steadily trying to figure out how this person ended on top of him.
“Natsume…” said the familiar voice again,
Mi…Mikan, thought Natsume. It was Mikan who was on top of him. But why the hell is she on top of me? Another thing Natsume realized is that Mikan was sobbing faintly. Natsume took notice that she was so warm and soft. his cheek burned slightly
“Oi…polka-dots,” muttered Natsume. “Get off.”
Mikan kept still, before she raised her self slowly. She dried her eyes and sat on the chair, not looking at his eyes.
Natsume sat up slightly, causing the blanket to slide down his torso. A banaged waist appeared infront of Mikan but she couldn't hide her blush while she noticed his fit upper body, “trying to take advantage of me, while I am laying powerless here, are you?”
“Huh…?” Mikan hung her head in confusion, before she understood what he meant. She blushed furiously and her face changed in to a frown. Mikan formed a fist and a vain popped in her head. “You…why would I do that with an idiot like you, you pervert?”
“Look who's talking?” Natsume smirked. “Care to explain why you were on top of me, while I am shirtless?”
Mikan's face was covered with a heavy blush; her anger was rising bit by bit, before it exploded. “Oh really?! Wasn't you the one who-”
“…There is no way you could understand Natsume's feelings…”
"...he turned his hometown in to a sea of flames in a single night..."
Silence fell on the room, only Mikan's panting could be heard.
“-Sorry.”
Huh? though Natsume, confused. This was not the Mikan he knows. There was something wrong with her.
Mikan reminded herself about Natsume's past and that's he's a sad child carrying the guilt with him, wherever he goes. Sure, Mikan is an orphan too, but she has her granddad, while God knows if Natsume has anyone.
“…Um…are you ok?” asked Mikan, smiling.
Natsume narrowed his eyes at her, “how can I be alright, with you in the room?”
Natsume expected her to shout, explode, say nasty words or even punch him, but what she did shocked him.
“Ok, sorry, I'll leave,” she muttered walking towards the door; she pulled the handle down and turned around. “I hope you feel better. Bye.”
Then she left.
That's right, something is definitely wrong with her, and Natsume wants to know what it is.
-
-
Outside Natsume's room, Mikan stood holding her hand on her heart. That was close. Sure, Natsume is spiteful to her, but she has to be nice to him. She felt sorry for him, if only he could see his parents again she thought sadly. Suddenly an idea popped in her brain and her face shone in joy.
I'll bring his parents back, thought Mikan and she knows the way to.
“Mikan?” called a voice.
Mikan recognized it, “Narume-sensei?”
“Mikan, I have bad news for you,” said Narume. “It's about your best friend…”
A look of concern masked Mikan's face, “Hotaru? What happened to her? Sensei?”
“She has been involved in an accident in one of the laps, she's getting treatment in one of the hospital rooms now,” said Narume in a sad voice.
Hotaru…