Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ "Gallforce: The Shoot Down Queen." ❯ Chapter 2 A New Friend ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
"The Shoot Down Queen."
A Gallforce Prqeuel Story

By Makuhari-Fan01

"GALLFORCE" and all related characters are owned by Kenichi Sonoda, MOVIC, Sony VCIC, and in the US, Central Park Media, NOT me.

Based on characters and situations created by Kenichi Sonoda, especially his manga; "Kenichi Sonoda: Privates Live."

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------------

Just as a pleasant dream involving a certain blond squadron mate reached the most interesting part, Mari's alarm clock went off. Throwing herself from her bunk, Mari quickly pulled on a pilot's basic combat suit. When she finished, Mari left her billet and went to the ship's galley, and from there, made her way to the Attackers' briefing room.

Entering the briefing room, Mari saw Lufy sitting alone on one side of the room. Without wondering why Lufy was alone, Mari sat down next to her. Several pilots across the aisle gave Mari cool looks, but she failed to notice. All the Attackers jumped to attention as Combat Commander Riana Scott entered the room and stepped up to the podium.

"At ease!"

After all the pilots returned to their seats, Riana began the briefing.

"Today this squadron will participate in an attack on a Paranoid supply base in the Cassini System. This base is known to be supporting the Paranoid drive against our home world, and high command expects its destruction to slow down, or completely stop the enemy advance. While we will not be directly involved in the destruction of the base, the Attackers have been given an important mission."

Riana turned to indicate a star system map on the wall behind her.

"The Attackers and the 143rd fighter squadron will blockade a Paranoid fighter base on the seventh planet, preventing it from reinforcing the supply base. Until the main attack is complete, our Job is to destroy anything coming from that base."

Riana paused momentarily and turned to face Mari.

"Now, for those of you who haven't met her already, I would like to introduce Sub-leader Mari. Pilot Class 1A. Mari was a veteran of the Seventh Fleet's Forty-First Fighter Squadron until it disbanded, and today will be her first mission as an Attacker."

Mari stood. "Good morning everyone! My name is Mari, and I hope to get to know all of you better real soon!"

The other pilots quickly returned Mari's greeting with various levels of enthusiasm.

Commander Riana spoke. "Mari, did you decide who you wanted to fly with as wing?"

"Yes Ma'am, Combat Commander Lufy."

The gasp of disbelief from across the aisle was nearly as loud as Tenisha's shout,
"What?!?"

Mari had a bewildered look on her face as Tenisha stood up in the aisle and pointed at Lufy.

"Are you crazy? Lufy is the same as a black widow! Every wing-pilot she's ever flown with has wound up dead! Killed on their first mission as Lufy's wing because their so-called lead-wing was off glory hounding instead of supporting them. She'll just get you killed like all the rest!"

Mari balled up her fists and shouted back.

"Shut up! Lufy is the greatest Solenoid pilot ever! You're just jealous because she's shot down five times as many planes as you!"

Riana gave Lufy an amused, "Oh you are, are you?" look.

Lufy rolled back her eyes and shrugged "She said it!" to Riana.

Tenisha shook a fist at Mari.

"Yea? At what cost? Nine good pilots paid the ultimate price so Lufy could be the 'Shoot Down Queen' of the Attackers! Do you want to be number ten?"

Mari stepped into the aisle in front of Tenisha.

"That's my decision to make, don't you think?"

"AT EASE PEOPLE!"

At Riana's shout, Mari and Tenisha stepped away from each other. Riana looked over at Lufy.

"This is up to you, Lufy, do you want Mari to fly as your wing?"

Lufy shook her head.

Mari suddenly shrank as if crushed. Without a word she sat back down. Tenisha did likewise.

"Sub Leader Mari..."

Mari looked up as Commander Riana spoke to her.

"It seems the best way to settle this problem is to assign you as a third wing."

Riana looked over at another pair of Attacker pilots.

"Sandy, Queen Anne, is that okay with you?"

The two pilots nodded their agreement.

"Well then, now that that's been taken care of... Launch will be in thirty minutes. Section area assignments have been programmed into your flight computers. Are there any questions? No? Then DIS-MISSED!"

As one, the pilots jumped to attention and saluted Riana. Mari introduced herself to Sandy and Queen Anne, then followed them as they filed out of the room with the rest of the pilots.

---

Down in Artemia's flight hangar, Lufy's flight crew finished fitting her out In a combat vac-suit. Taking her flight helmet from the fighter's crew chief, Lufy climbed into the cockpit. Once there, the crew chief helped Lufy plug the combat suit into the cockpit systems. When she finished, the crew chief gave Lufy a thumbs up.
"Tear'em up Lufy!"

"Every time! Bonnie Lass, every time!"

Lufy's crew chief stepped back down from the fighter's cockpit and removed the access ladder. Lufy finished pre-flighting the fighter, then sat back to wait for the launch order. Glancing over at the fighter on her right, Lufy saw Mari finish fitting out in her combat suit.

((Oh well, I guess it isn't that bad having someone who wants to be like me.))

As soon as Mari was strapped in, Lufy called over to her.

"Hey Mari, watch yourself out there, okay?"

Mari looked over and gave Lufy a smile, waved, then went back to pre-flighting her fighter.

One by one the Attackers called in to report their readiness to launch. Commander Riana confirmed her squadron's launch status with Artemia's flight control center. Clearance to launch was quickly given, and the Attackers took-off, immediately disappearing into the void as they moved out to their mission destination.

---


The entire Attackers squadron stayed together until they reached the mission area, then dispersed and proceeded to each section's individual patrol area.

Lufy was on station for twenty minutes, when her fighter's I.F.F. computer picked up the signal of an approaching Solenoid fighter. Closing in from below and to the right, the Solenoid fighter soon pulled up next to Lufy. A broken heart with a black "41" inside identified the fighter's pilot.

"Mari! What are you doing here?"

"You need a wing pilot, and I'm available."

"What about Sandy and Queen Anne?"

"I told them what I was going to do, and they didn't try to stop me."

"Mari, don't you understand why everyone hates me?"

"No."

"It's because..."

Lufy stopped talking as her fighter's scanners came to life, indicating multiple unidentified targets entering her area of responsibility. Suddenly all business, Lufy announced to Mari.

"Multiple targets. Approaching at fifty kay, 283 relative, down 50."

"Confirmed Combat Leader. Twelve targets, war book identifies as Paranoid drones. Contact report going out. Suggest pre-emptive missile strike."

"Affirmative, then blitz their right flank with a laser attack."

"Affirmative."

"Mari, you stick to me like a leach, understand?"

"Yes Ma'am! I'm in position Combat Leader, Tally-Ho!"

Like two birds of prey, the Solenoid fighters wheel to the left and dive towards their enemies. The Paranoids spread out into a half-moon formation and closed rapidly with the two Solenoids. Lufy and Mari both launch a quartet of homing missiles. Paranoid counter-fire destroys three; the remaining five lock on, M.I.R.V., and blot out their targets. Before the remaining Paranoids can recover, Lufy and Mari blitz through the right side of the Paranoid formation. Two more Paranoids become expanding balls of incandescent gas.

Turning back to engage the remaining Paranoids, Lufy and Mari are suddenly confronted by twenty-four more Paranoids.

"Attacker Command! Area Eighty-Eight is starting to crawl with Paranoids! We need some help over here!"

"Affirmative Combat Leader Lufy, help on the way."

"Mari, break the enemy formation apart with a missile attack, CHARGE!"

The two Solenoids reverse their turn and move to engage the new formation of Paranoids. Eight missiles blaze from the Solenoid fighters and off towards the Paranoid formation. Ignoring their half dozen casualties, the Paranoids swarm around the two Solenoids. Put on the defensive by the aggressiveness of the Paranoids, Lufy and Mari are soon forced to separate.

With so much practice flying alone, Lufy is in her element. Mari unfortunately draws the majority of the Paranoid drones, and it is all she can do to stay alive.

Grinning like a madwoman, Lufy quickly turns the tables on her opponents and takes the offensive. Using her close-in weapons exclusively, Lufy forces a swirling, close in dog-fight that results in the destruction of three Paranoids. Lufy's remaining opponents disengage, leaving her alone for the moment.

"Mari! where are you?"

"Lufy! Help!"

Locking on to Mari's signal, Lufy quickly locates her companion. Heavily engaged by the Paranoids, Mari's life is potentially measured in seconds. Activating full afterburner, Lufy races to save her wing. Locking the I.F.F. system into her fighter's targeting computer, Lufy shouts; "Mari! Salvo missile barrage! Watch out!"

"Hurry Lufy!"

Her missiles achieve lock-on, and Lufy snarls, "Not this time you bastards! FIRE!"

Twelve missiles salvo in quartets from Lufy's fighter. Mari throws her fighter into a wild evasive maneuver just as the missiles arrive and M.I.R.V.. Cyan fire and explosions blanket the area occupied by the Paranoids. Lufy's heart races until Mari's fighter emerges from the flames and smoke.

"Lufy! Look out!"

Lufy whips her head around and sees several Paranoids on her tall. Before she can begin evading, her fighter rocks from the impact of enemy fire. As smoke from damaged systems begins filling her cockpit, Lufy realizes her fighter is doomed. Before she can reach for the ejection handle, a white hot, searing pain shoots through her and Lufy passes out.

---

When she wakes, Lufy finds herself flat on her back in a dimly lit room in Artemia's medical bay. Taking stock, Lufy finds her right arm and ribs bandaged, her left thigh bandaged, and several cuts on her face covered with Band-Aids. Lying back down on her pillow, Lufy closed her eyes, wondering if Marl was still alive. The door to her room opened, the lights came up, and Riana Scott walked in.

"Well! Back among the living eh, Lufy?"

Lufy, still groggy from her wounds and surgery, managed a pain tinged smile and a nod.

"Did Mari make it?"

"She's fine. You saved her just in time for her, Sandy, and Queen Anne to counter-attack and pull your butt out of the fire. Your fighter is trash though."

Lufy let out a sigh. "That doesn't matter."

The door opened again and Mari rushed in. "Lufy!"

"Hey Mari."

Mari picked up Lufy's good hand.

"Are you okay?"

Lufy sat up and put the hand of her bandaged arm behind her neck, then gave an embarrassed laugh.

"Heh heh... It seems like I'll be fine. Kind of bad getting myself shot down though. Might be a good thing, my wing-pilot came back and I was shot down. Maybe everyone won't treat me like an outcast now."

"Lufy, Mari still wants to be your wing-pilot. I told her just what I said before, she has to ask you."

Lufy looked at Mari, whose eyes said; "Please?"

"Well, that's fine by me."

Mari shouted, "Thank you! thank you!" and threw herself onto Lufy's bed to hug her. Lufy yelped In pain and surprise while Riana gave an amused chuckle. Mari quickly let go of Lufy and got back down on the floor.

Lufy looked at Riana. "What happened to the Paranoid base?"

"Fleet bombardment pulverized the supply base. Artemia and her escorts moved in on the fighter base and did the same thing. We didn't get off scott free, but the mission was successful."

"That's good."

Riana turned to leave.

"I've got to go Lufy, I'll come by and talk to you again later."

Lufy and Mari saluted as Riana left the room. Lufy then lay back down in the bed, resting her head on her hands.

Mari eventually stood and bowed to Lufy.

"Thank-you for saving my life Lufy."

"Hey, don't worry about it, you turned around and saved mine so we're even."

Lufy yawned as exhustion started weighing heavily on her again.

Anyway Mari, if we're going to be partners, why don't you go ahead and move into my billet. No one's using the second bunk now anyway."

Mari nodded as Lufy's eyes started to close.

"Thank you Lufy! I..., I guess I'll talk to you later."

Lufy waved weakly as Mari left the room. Then, using a remote next to her bed, she turned down the lights, leaned back against the bed's pillow, and soon drifted off to an amazingly restful sleep.

tsuzuku...