Gall Force Fan Fiction ❯ Another Journey, Another Story ❯ Chapter 23

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gall Force: Another Journey, Another Story
 
Realizing the captain needed to be focused on the newcomers Commander Allaine took over the battle, the brown haired woman concentrating on the combat situation. "Lauren, keep us moving forward," she ordered, "Danielle, back up our fighters and watch out for the new ship."
 
"Of course," Danielle nodded, the black haired tactical officer's hands flying across her control panel as she registered the new ship as a friendly. Otherwise the computer assisted weapon systems of the Lady Grace could target or even destroy the other ship, assuming it was an enemy.
 
"We're being hailed," Catty reported, the purple haired communications officer's voice ringing with an uncharacteristic excitement.
 
Captain Gail kept her eyes on the display as the mystery ship launched a devastating attack, unknown projectiles sweeping out to destroy Paranoid small craft. "On screen," she ordered.
 
The blue haired woman appeared on one corner of the screen, her blue hair framing a beautiful face. She resembled a Solonoid but there was a disturbing degree of difference in the little details of eyes, ears and face. "I am... Captain Lariel of the Gel assault craft Basroil," she bowed slightly, "it's an honor to fight by your side, Foremothers."
 
'Foremothers?' Gail thought then deliberately turned aside from that issue. "Thank you for your assistance," Gail nodded, "I am Captain Gail of the Lady Grace."
 
"I am honored to know the name of your vessel," Lariel continued "as well as seeing your rodail.. I mean, officers."
 
'They've evolved their own dialect,' Gail quickly realized, 'or possibly even a language. That's why she seems hesitant at times.'
 
The fighters swept in with a flight of the new ship's projectiles, dodging through Paranoid weapons fire to send missiles and energy bolts into the massive vessel. Focusing their fire they lit up the one ship as it slowed, it's return fire falling off.
 
"The one ship is crippled," Lauren reported excitedly, the blonde navigator nearly bouncing with eagerness.
 
"Don't jump to conclusions," Allaine cautioned, "they could be playing dead to lure our fighters in too close. Danielle?"
 
Danielle brought her station's sensors on line as she peppered both surviving Paranoid ships with dire from the ship's cannons, brightly colored energy bolts sizzling across the void of space. "Their power levels are falling," she confirmed, "should we go in for the kill?"
 
"Let's give our new friends the opportunity," Allaine said thoughtfully.
 
Hearing that Lariel smiled slightly, a feral intensity in her eyes. "Thank you," she said, "you do my vessel much honor with your gift. We will not forget it."
 
The smaller ship deployed a cannon unit from the upper decks, the weapon moving with remarkable dexterity. It only took a single well aimed burst and the already damaged paranoid ship exploded in a burst of fire and light, shining against the void like a new born sun.
 
Major Tanya's voice came over the communication's system, the fighter jock too busy to use visual links at that moment. "The final Paranoid vessel is accelerating," her voice had urgency in it, "I believe they may intend to ram."
 
"Crap," Danielle cursed as she confirmed, "direct vector for us and our new friends."
 
Lauren tensed, "We can dodge..."
 
"Not fast enough to get clear," Allaine dismissed that, "Catty, order the fighters clear. Danielle, fire main guns!"
 
"Fighters report clear," Catty replied after a moment.
 
"Firing!" Danielle pressed a stud on her control panel.
 
All over the Lady Grace beams of energy lanced outward, blazing against the void of space with unearthly power. In less than a second they crossed the distance, raking into the Paranoid vessel and lighting it up with destructive fire. Then the new vessel followed up, it's odd projectiles and energy cannon finishing the job.
 
Cheers rang out on the bridge but Allaine cut them off with a gesture. "What about the Paranoid fighters?" she demanded.
 
Tanya sounded overjoyed, "Their unit command has collapsed, we've got them on the run! I suspect we'll mop them up within an hour, tops."
 
Captain Lariel smiled, "I commend you and your crew, captain. I suspect you could have won even without our aide."
 
Captain Gail kept her voice even as she answered, "Possibly, but the battle would have been far more chancy." She met the newcomer's eyes searchingly, "I don't know quite where to begin..."
 
"I suspect you have a great deal of questions, Rowas Gail," Lariel reflexedly used her own word for captain, "may I bring a few of my officers and come aboard?"
 
"We would be honored, Rowas Lariel," Gail nodded.
 
Lariel grinned a second, impressed with how fast on the uptake Gail was. "We'll be there shortly," she said and signed off.
 
"Captain, I object," Danielle burst out, "we have no idea what their intentions might be! Just because they appear Solonoid doesn't mean..."
 
"Danielle," Allaine cut her off with a word of warning.
 
"It's all right," Gail said calmly, "we don't know, but my gut says they're not enemies. They could have just stayed cloaked and watched us fight the Paranoid on our own, or worse destroyed us anytime during the battle."
 
"They're launching a shuttle," Danielle reported a bit flatly, obviously trying to reign in her temper at being overruled.
 
From the upper portion of the ship plates of armor smoothly slid aside to reveal a bay for small craft, a squarish shaped shuttle rising up before soaring towards their own ship. Homing in on the navigational beacon it headed right for their main shuttlebay, moving a bit faster than their own small ships could.
 
"Commander, Lieutenant Danielle you're with me," Gail said as she headed for the lift. Lauren, call Sara to the bridge. Until she arrives you're in charge."
 
"Yes ma'am," Lauren saluted nervously even as Catty paged the Lieutenant Commander.
 
"What do you think?" Gail asked as the lift swiftly carried them to the shuttle bay.
 
"About our new friends?" Allaine smiled and shrugged, "Hard to guess much at this point."
 
"They're obviously ahead of us in military technology," Danielle said grimly, obviously concerned about that very thing.
 
"Which could make them a powerful ally against the Paranoid or," Gail calmly conceded, "a dangerous enemy."
 
"Did you notice something about the shuttlebay?" Allaine said thoughtfully as the lift came to a halt and they went out into the hall.
 
"Eh?" both women looked at her.
 
"Our shuttlebay is on the lower hull, to assist in sending shuttles to colony worlds or planetary bases," Allaine said, "theirs is on the upper hull, probably to facilitate in sending shuttles to other vessels or space colonies."
 
"You think they're a space based culture," Gail realized, "not planet based at all."
 
Allaine nodded, "It would also explain how the colony on this world was seemingly abandoned, too. They migrated to a space based existence." She smiled as she cautioned them, "All of which is a great leap of logic based on little evidence..."
 
"But it might be good to keep in mind," Danielle admitted as they reached the door of the shuttlebay just as the warning of a ship arriving rang out.
 
They waited until the air pressure read green once again then opened up the hatch, moving forward at a measured pace towards the waiting shuttle. The hatch on the side of the ship opened with a sigh of venting atmosphere and a ramp extended soundlessly, then three figures descended the ramp. All three had the same color of hair though the tones varied, and insignia on the uniforms marked them as different ranks.
 
"Welcome aboard the Lady Grace," Captain Gail said, focusing her gaze on the captain.

Lariel raised her fingers to her odd headpiece in a two fingered salute, "We of the Basroil are honored to fight beside you." She gestured to the woman with the darkest blue hair, almost black, "This is the Lekle Spoor, you would call her our Navigation or Defense officer."
 
"It's an honor to meet our honored Foremothers," Spoor smiled, her eyes seemingly faintly amused by something.
 
"And this is Soporuka officer Feia," Lariel continued, "I think you would refer to her as our attack or tactical officer."
 
"Ma'am," Feia nodded, her own hair the blue of the ocean surface.
 
Gail preformed her own introductions, trying to read the enigmatic Lariel's face as she did so. "I'd like to take you to our conference room," she gave up on that as she continued in a business like way, "I have a great deal of questions."
 
"First there is something I must do," Lariel said, drawing a small sheet of paper from her uniform. She unfolded it, "From the throne of the Empire of the Karsal Gululak, the Kin of the Stars, the Empress sends her greetings."
 
Gail saw both younger officers stiffen and knew this was important, feeling her own blood begin to race as she listened closely.
 
"We have long hoped to be reunited with our Solonoid Foremothers, and regret that it has happened in such dire circumstances," Lariel read. "In the name of the Karsal Gululak I wish to formally pledge our assistance against our hereditary enemy, the Paranoid, as well as offer any assistance needed to our Foremothers."
 
To be continued....